move 3: Hex / Shadow Ball
move 4: Taunt / Pain Split / Mystical Fire
item: Booster Energy / Focus Sash
tera type: Water / Electric
ability: Protosynthesis
nature: Bold
evs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Flutter Mane utilizes high Speed and Thunder Wave to become a status spreader and sweeper.

* **Hex versus Shadow Ball**: Hex is normally preferred for dealing massive damage after a successful Thunder Wave. Shadow Ball can be used if consistent damage is more desirable and is almost always the stronger option against Gholdengo.

* **Taunt**: Taunt is a great complement to Thunder Wave, shutting down opposing disruption and setup.

* **Pain Split**: Pain Split can be used after a KO to heavily disrupt the next target and possibly stall out weaker attacks.

* **Mystical Fire**: Defense-invested Flutter Mane can live unboosted Bullet Punch from Scizor and hit it back hard with Mystical Fire.

Other Options
========

* **Substitute**: When paired with full paralysis chances and Pain Split, Flutter Mane can live for much longer than expected and snag some sneaky KOs. The main drawback is that Flutter Mane can only run one attack, usually Moonblast.

* **Calm Mind**: Booster Energy sets can still make great use of Calm Mind. It is possible to get free setup turns thanks to full paralysis, but be aware that this is more of an occasional bonus than a consistent strategy to rely on.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Low**: Flutter Mane's high Speed and support options allow it to disrupt with ease. Terastallization is therefore only needed for specific matchups where maintaining momentum is important.

* **Water**: Tera Water resists Urshifu-R's Surging Strikes and Chien-Pao's Icicle Crash, and gains a Steel-type resistance for the Gholdengo and Scizor matchups.

* **Electric**: Tera Electric prevents Flutter Mane from being paralyzed itself–an important consideration for the mirror–while still giving a pivotal Steel-type resistance.

Items
========

* **Booster Energy**: With the Speed increase from Booster Energy, it is nearly guaranteed that Flutter Mane can cripple something.

* **Focus Sash**: Focus Sash can be used with more offensive spreads, and is particularly strong against already boosted opponents.

* **Jaboca Berry**: Jaboca Berry's damage is a sneaky option against physical attackers. It allows Flutter Mane to cleanly beat Focus Sash Chien-Pao and Urshifu in a single turn, while making the combination of Thunder Wave into Hex much more potent into offensive Dragonite.

EV Spreads
========

* **236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe with Bold or Timid**: This spread gives great survivability, surviving unboosted Surging Strikes from Urshifu-R and unboosted Bullet Punch from Scizor. 20 Speed EVs ensures that Booster Energy boosts Speed, outrunning Choice Scarf users like Landorus-T and Gouging Fire. Bold is preferable to maximize bulk, but Timid is still viable to get the jump on other “slow” Flutter Mane and outrun Choice Scarf Urshifu.

* **124 HP / 252 Def / 132 Spe with Timid**: This spread maintains enough bulk to almost always survive unboosted Surging Strikes while also having enough Speed to outrun Roaring Moon after a single Dragon Dance.

* **4 HP / 108 Def / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with Timid**: This spread allows Flutter Mane to be more offensively oriented while still maintaining some bulk, almost always surviving Adamant Chien-Pao's unboosted Sucker Punch.

* **4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe with Timid**: A full offensive spread can be used if opting for Focus Sash.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/photon.516307/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/theorymon.29010/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/ut.523866/

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just got a few things to add to this!

* I'd slash Mystical Fire in the last slot. This Flutter Mane can actually survive Bullet Punch from the more defensive Scizors, so Mystical Fire can cause a real upset without Terastallizing! Plus its nice for punishing Scizor switch ins in general.

* I'd slash Shadow Ball in with Hex. I realize that seems to destroy the purpose of the set, but it does make Flutter Mane more flexible, and also does more damage to Gholdengo. Hex isn't currently in Flutter Mane's top 10 moves to be clear, but I still think it deserves its current place!

Other Options Additions

* I think Substitute should be at minimum an other options mention over Hex. Its a cheesy concept: you fish for paralysis with sub, and use pain split to get more chances.

* I'd give a mention of Calm Mind as an other options mention. Often times I see it in the rather cheesy context of "pray for a full para", but setup in general isnt bad, and the cheese set up can totally change the outcome of games!

When this is implemented, I'll give this a QC stamp (unless the airline screws me over one last time, which if that happens I'll contact someone to tag the GP team for ya lol)

I just got a few things to add to this!

* I'd slash Mystical Fire in the last slot. This Flutter Mane can actually survive Bullet Punch from the more defensive Scizors, so Mystical Fire can cause a real upset without Terastallizing! Plus its nice for punishing Scizor switch ins in general.

* I'd slash Shadow Ball in with Hex. I realize that seems to destroy the purpose of the set, but it does make Flutter Mane more flexible, and also does more damage to Gholdengo. Hex isn't currently in Flutter Mane's top 10 moves to be clear, but I still think it deserves its current place!

Other Options Additions

* I think Substitute should be at minimum an other options mention over Hex. Its a cheesy concept: you fish for paralysis with sub, and use pain split to get more chances.

* I'd give a mention of Calm Mind as an other options mention. Often times I see it in the rather cheesy context of "pray for a full para", but setup in general isnt bad, and the cheese set up can totally change the outcome of games!

When this is implemented, I'll give this a QC stamp (unless the airline screws me over one last time, which if that happens I'll contact someone to tag the GP team for ya lol)
Done, I decided to do a "Hex versus Shadowball" bullet and modified the summary. This is ready for another QC check.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While updating the rest of Flutter Mane's sets, I realized there's a few minor adjustments that can be made to this set too!

* I'm thinking the main spread should be 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe Bold. This lets Booster Energy Flutter Mane outspeed Scarf Landorus-T and Scarf Gouging Fire, which are both pretty relevant things to outspeed (even if you aren't paralyzing Landorus-T before it Teras!). It doesn't really impact any defensive calcs that I know of either.

* It might be worth adding this tot he EV spreads: 4 HP / 108 Def / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Timid. This is a middle ground between bulk and power, letting Flutter Mane survive Adamant Chien-Pao's Sucker Punch on a 15/16 roll, so its nice if you want something more similar to the usual offensive Flutter Mane but with Thunder Wave shenanigans.

While updating the rest of Flutter Mane's sets, I realized there's a few minor adjustments that can be made to this set too!

* I'm thinking the main spread should be 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe Bold. This lets Booster Energy Flutter Mane outspeed Scarf Landorus-T and Scarf Gouging Fire, which are both pretty relevant things to outspeed (even if you aren't paralyzing Landorus-T before it Teras!). It doesn't really impact any defensive calcs that I know of either.

* It might be worth adding this tot he EV spreads: 4 HP / 108 Def / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Timid. This is a middle ground between bulk and power, letting Flutter Mane survive Adamant Chien-Pao's Sucker Punch on a 15/16 roll, so its nice if you want something more similar to the usual offensive Flutter Mane but with Thunder Wave shenanigans.
Done, feel free to double check me on the spread descriptions.

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
add remove conjecture
[SET]
name: Offensive Support
move 1: Moonblast
move 2: Thunder Wave

[SET COMMENTS]

* Flutter Mane utilizes its high Speed and access to Thunder Wave to become a fearsome crippler and sweeper combo status spreader and sweeper.

* **Hex versus Shadow Ball**: Hex is normally preferred for dealing massive damage after a successful Thunder Wave. Shadow Ball can be used if consistent damage is more desirable rc and is almost always the stronger option against the Thunder Wave-immune Gholdengo.

* **Taunt**: Taunt is a great complement to Thunder Wave, shutting down opposing disruption and setup.

* **Pain Split**: Pain Split can be used after a KO to heavily disrupt the next target and possibly stall out weaker attacks.

* **Mystical Fire**: Thanks to the high physical bulk on this set, Flutter Mane can live unboosted Bullet Punch from Scizor and surprise it with big damage.

Other Options
========

* **Substitute**: When paired with full paralysis chances and Pain Split, Flutter Mane can live for much longer than expected and snag some sneaky knockouts KOs. The main drawback is that you are only able to Flutter Mane can only run one attack, usually Moonblast.

* **Calm Mind**: Booster Energy sets can still make great use of Calm Mind for general offensive purposes. It is possible to get free setup turns thanks to full paralysis, but be aware that this is more of an occasional bonus than a consistent strategy to rely on.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - Low**: Flutter Mane's high Speed and support options allow it to disrupt with ease. Terastallization is therefore only needed for specific matchups where maintaining momentum is important.

* **Water**: Tera Water resists Urshifu-R's Surging Strikes and Chien-Pao's Icicle Crash, as well as granting a and gains a Steel-type resistance for the Gholdengo and Scizor matchups.

* **Electric**: Tera Electric prevents Flutter Mane from being paralyzed itself–an important consideration for the mirror–while still giving a pivotal Steel-type resistance.

Items
========

* **Booster Energy**: With the Speed increase from Booster Energy, it is nearly guaranteed that Flutter Mane can cripple something.

* **Focus Sash**: Focus Sash can be used with more offensive spreads rc and is particularly strong against already boosted opponents.

* **Jaboca Berry**: Jaboca Berry's damage is a sneaky option against physical attackers. It allows Flutter Mane to cleanly beat Focus Sash Chien-Pao and Urshifu in a single turn, while making the combination of Thunder Wave into Hex much more potent into offensive Dragonite.

EV Spreads
========

* **236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe with Bold or Timid**: This spread gives great survivability and easily survives unboosted Surging Strikes from Urshifu-R. 20 Speed EVs ensures that Booster Energy boosts Speed, outrunning Choice Scarf users like Landorus-T and Gouging Fire. Bold is preferable to maximize bulk, but Timid is still viable to get the jump on other “slow” Flutter Manes Mane and will allow you to outrun Choice Scarf Urshifu.

* **124 HP / 252 Def / 132 Spe with Timid**: This spread maintains enough bulk to almost always survive unboosted Surging Strikes rc while also having enough Speed to outrun Roaring Moon after a single Dragon Dance.

* **4 HP / 108 Def / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with Timid**: This spread allows Flutter Mane to be more offensively oriented while still maintaining some bulk, almost always surviving Adamant Chien-Pao's unboosted Sucker Punch.

* **4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe with Timid**: A full offensive spread can be used if opting for Focus Sash as your item.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:
GP 1/1!

GP Team done

add remove conjecture
[SET]
name: Offensive Support
move 1: Moonblast
move 2: Thunder Wave

[SET COMMENTS]

* Flutter Mane utilizes its high Speed and access to Thunder Wave to become a fearsome crippler and sweeper combo status spreader and sweeper.

* **Hex versus Shadow Ball**: Hex is normally preferred for dealing massive damage after a successful Thunder Wave. Shadow Ball can be used if consistent damage is more desirable rc and is almost always the stronger option against the Thunder Wave-immune Gholdengo.

* **Mystical Fire**: Thanks to the high physical bulk on this set, Flutter Mane can live unboosted Bullet Punch from Scizor and surprise it with big damage.

Other Options
========

* **Substitute**: When paired with full paralysis chances and Pain Split, Flutter Mane can live for much longer than expected and snag some sneaky knockouts KOs. The main drawback is that you are only able to Flutter Mane can only run one attack, usually Moonblast.

* **Calm Mind**: Booster Energy sets can still make great use of Calm Mind for general offensive purposes. It is possible to get free setup turns thanks to full paralysis, but be aware that this is more of an occasional bonus than a consistent strategy to rely on.

Tera Types
========

* **Water**: Tera Water resists Urshifu-R's Surging Strikes and Chien-Pao's Icicle Crash, as well as granting a and gains a Steel-type resistance for the Gholdengo and Scizor matchups.

Items
========

* **Focus Sash**: Focus Sash can be used with more offensive spreads rc and is particularly strong against already boosted opponents.

EV Spreads
========

* **236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe with Bold or Timid**: This spread gives great survivability and easily survives unboosted Surging Strikes from Urshifu-R. 20 Speed EVs ensures that Booster Energy boosts Speed, outrunning Choice Scarf users like Landorus-T and Gouging Fire. Bold is preferable to maximize bulk, but Timid is still viable to get the jump on other “slow” Flutter Manes Mane and will allow you to outrun Choice Scarf Urshifu.

* **124 HP / 252 Def / 132 Spe with Timid**: This spread maintains enough bulk to almost always survive unboosted Surging Strikes rc while also having enough Speed to outrun Roaring Moon after a single Dragon Dance.

* **4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe with Timid**: A full offensive spread can be used if opting for Focus Sash as your item.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:
GP 1/1!

GP Team done
Implemented but with one further modification on my part:
* **Mystical Fire**: Thanks to the high physical bulk on this set, Flutter Mane can live unboosted Bullet Punch from Scizor and surprise it.
I feel like this reads awkwardly just to say "surprise it" at the end, so I rewrote that ending part:
* **Mystical Fire**: Thanks to the high physical bulk on this set, Flutter Mane can live unboosted Bullet Punch from Scizor and attack back with Mystical Fire.
Its a bit more direct, though I'm not sure if that's why it was changed. Either way, I'll hold off for the moment before I give this the "Done" stamp if it needs to be changed again.

Reactions: UT

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Flutter Mane can live unboosted Bullet Punch from Scizor and hit it back hard with Mystical Fire.
How about that? Or I notice that offensive Scizor is OHKOed even with no investment, could even say "and OHKO offensive variants" if that's relevant?

How about that? Or I notice that offensive Scizor is OHKOed even with no investment, could even say "and OHKO offensive variants" if that's relevant?
Do need to quantify its Defense-invested since we have both bulky and offensive spreads listed, but yes, that sounds great. So:
Defense-invested Flutter Mane can live unboosted Bullet Punch from Scizor and hit it back hard with Mystical Fire.
With that in mind, I should probably add a quick blurb to the first spread to indicate that is the one that always lives Bullet Punch:
This spread gives great survivability, surviving unboosted Surging Strikes from Urshifu-R and unboosted Bullet Punch from Scizor.
How's that?

Reactions: UT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)