BSS Offensive Serperior

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
ima ssssneaky sssnake

[SET]
Regal Attacker (Serperior) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Level: 50
Tera Type: Fire / Rock / Stellar
EVs: 76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Tera Blast
- Substitute / Dragon Pulse
[SET COMMENTS]
* With STAB Leaf Storm paired with its incredible ability in Contrary, Serperior is a formidable wallbreaker and potential sweeper.

* ** Leaf Storm**: Thanks to Contrary, Leaf Storm will boost Serperior’s Special Attack by two stages, rather than lowering it, allowing Serperior to become more of a threat simply by attacking.

* **Glare**: Glare allows Serperior to spread paralysis with 100% consistency, even to Ground-types, giving it a unique niche as a paralysis spreader unperturbed by the likes of Landorus-T.

* **Tera Blast**: Tera Blast provides Serperior with coverage for its poor matchups, depending on its Tera Type.

* **Substitute**: When paired with Glare, Substitute allows Serperior to take advantage of the potential free turns afforded by paralysis to become even more of a threat and dodge debilitating status from the likes of Porygon2 and Dondozo.

Other Options
==========

* **Dragon Pulse**: Dragon Pulse is difficult to fit in, but it allows Serperior to threaten foes like Dragonite without relying on Terastallization.

Items
=========
* **Leftovers**: Leftovers grants Serperior passive recovery, allowing it to spam Glare more often and make successful Substitute attempts even more punishing.

* **Focus Sash**: Focus Sash enables Serperior to get successful Glares off against faster foes, such as Choice Scarf Chi-Yu.

* **Sitrus Berry*: If Leftovers is being used by another team member, Sitrus Berry is a decent alternative.
EV Spreads
==========
* **76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe with Timid**: This spread optimizes Serperior’s HP value for use of Leftovers, while maintaining maximum Speed to spam Glare.

Tera Types
==========
* **Fire**: Tera Fire allows Serperior to resist opposing Fire-type attacks, as well as Scizor’s Bullet Punch, and grants it coverage against other Grass-types.

* **Rock**: Tera Rock enables Serperior to more consistently threaten Fire-types and Flying-types and resist their attacks.

* **Stellar**: Stellar Tera grants Serperior perfect neutral coverage, as well as another way to boost its Special Attack with Stellar Tera Blast. This is a purely offensive Tera type and provides Serperior with no defensive utility; however, it is arguably the best choice for maximizing overall damage output.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/derpysux.528485/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/photon.516307/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/theorymon.29010/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/starkgod.62165/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/milak.262594/

Last edited:
ima ssssneaky sssnake

[SET]
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 44 HP / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Tera Blast
[SET COMMENTS]
* With STAB Leaf Storm paired with its incredible ability in Contrary, Serperior is a formidable wallbreaker and potential sweeper.

* ** Leaf Storm**: Thanks to Contrary, Leaf Storm will boost Serperior’s Special Attack by two stages, rather than lowering it, allowing Serperior to muscle through walls with repeated Leaf Storms.

* **Glare**: Glare allows Serperior to spread paralysis with 100% consistency, even to Ground-types.

* **Tera Blast**: Tera Blast provides Serperior with coverage for its poor matchups, depending on its Tera Type.

* **Substitute**: When paired with Glare, Substitute allows Serperior to take advantage of the potential free turns afforded by Paralysis to become even more of a threat and dodge debilitating status from the likes of Porygon2 and Dondozo.

Other Options
==========

* **Dragon Pulse**: Dragon Pulse is difficult to fit, but it allows Serperior to threaten foes like Dragonite without relying on Terastallizing.

Items
=========
* **Leftovers**: Leftovers grants Serperior passive recovery, allowing it to abuse Glare’s paralysis spreading more often and make successful substitute attempts even more punishing.

* **Focus Sash**: Focus Sash enables Serperior to get successful Glares off against faster foes, such as Choice Scarf Chi-Yu.

EV Spreads
==========
* **44 HP / 212 SpA / 252 Spe with Timid**: This spread optimizes Serperior’s HP value for use of Substitute, while maintaining maximum speed for Glare abuse.

Tera Types
==========
* **Fire**: Tera Fire allows Serperior to resist opposing Fire-type attacks, as well as Scizor’s Bullet Punch, and grants it coverage against other Grass-types.

* **Rock**: Tera Rock enables Serperior to more consistently threaten Fire-types and Flying-types, while allowing it to resist their attacks.

* **Stellar**: Stellar Tera grants Serperior perfect neutral coverage, as well as another way to boost its Special Attack with Stellar Tera Blast. This is a purely offensive Tera and provides Serperior with no defensive utility, however it is arguably the best choice for solely offensive sets.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:

Grammar checked by:
Someone who has gotten a bit more Reg F experience then me should give the final stamp of approval, but I do notice a couple of general housekeeping things:
  • The Leaf Storm bullet is mostly a description of game mechanics. While it is the main selling point, you state as much in the summary bullet right before. This bullet probably isn't necessary unless there is something else of note worth pointing out.
  • The Glare bullet also has the same issue. I would instead elaborate on why you want to run Glare on what is an otherwise offensive-focused set (versatility, benefits over extra coverage, etc.)
  • Is 44 HP EVs correct? That makes your max HP 156 and divisible by 4, and normally you want 4n+1 for Substitute.

DerpySuX

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Someone who has gotten a bit more Reg F experience then me should give the final stamp of approval, but I do notice a couple of general housekeeping things:
  • The Leaf Storm bullet is mostly a description of game mechanics. While it is the main selling point, you state as much in the summary bullet right before. This bullet probably isn't necessary unless there is something else of note worth pointing out.
  • The Glare bullet also has the same issue. I would instead elaborate on why you want to run Glare on what is an otherwise offensive-focused set (versatility, benefits over extra coverage, etc.)
  • Is 44 HP EVs correct? That makes your max HP 156 and divisible by 4, and normally you want 4n+1 for Substitute.
I think it’s worth noting those despite how trivial it might seem to you and I because these are written to explain things to someone who might not know very much about the game.

As for the third bullet I meant to say optimized for leftovers so I’ll fix that LOL

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a small nitpick: Tera slash ins should be Fire / Rock / Stellar to match the analysis.

I'd also probably add Sitrus Berry somewhere (can be just a mention if you don't want a slash-in), pretty reasonable alternative if Leftovers is already used by something else.

Otherwise this looks good to me. There's other Serperior sets out there (I've seen Subseed, screens, and even the return of the XY classic Rocky Helmet defensive set LOL), but I can just add those to the reservations.

Otherwise, QC Approved 1/1!

You might want to tag GP yourself, I might be on a plane home by the time you address the little nitpicks lol

DerpySuX

Just a small nitpick: Tera slash ins should be Fire / Rock / Stellar to match the analysis.

I'd also probably add Sitrus Berry somewhere (can be just a mention if you don't want a slash-in), pretty reasonable alternative if Leftovers is already used by something else.

Otherwise this looks good to me. There's other Serperior sets out there (I've seen Subseed, screens, and even the return of the XY classic Rocky Helmet defensive set LOL), but I can just add those to the reservations.

Otherwise, QC Approved 1/1!

You might want to tag GP yourself, I might be on a plane home by the time you address the little nitpicks lol
Thanks TMon! I’ll rearrange the Tera’s I honestly just forgot to do that. I’ve been using stellar personally and so that being listed first is just me using my set as a baseline.

I’m aware that serp has other sets and I will be posting analyses for those as soon as I can, I wanted to be thorough and give them the research needed to make sure I got them right though, this set is one I’m personally familiar with, which is why I put it up first

Milak

Stoïque fierté
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Add (AC=add comma, ASC=add semicolon)
Remove (RC=remove comma)

[SET]
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Tera Blast
[SET COMMENTS]

* ** Leaf Storm**: Thanks to Contrary, Leaf Storm will boost Serperior’s Special Attack by two stages, rather than lowering it, allowing Serperior to become more of a threat simply by attacking.

* **Glare**: Glare allows Serperior to spread paralysis with 100% consistency, even to Ground-types, giving it a unique niche as a paralysis spreader unperturbed by the likes of Landorus-T.

* **Substitute**: When paired with Glare, Substitute allows Serperior to take advantage of the potential free turns afforded by Paralysis paralysis to become even more of a threat and dodge debilitating status from the likes of Porygon2 and Dondozo.

Other Options
==========

* **Dragon Pulse**: Dragon Pulse is difficult to fit in, but it allows Serperior to threaten foes like Dragonite without relying on Terastallizing Terastallization.

Items
=========
* **Leftovers**: Leftovers grants Serperior passive recovery, allowing it to abuse spam Glare’s paralysis spreading more often and make successful substitute Substitute attempts even more punishing.

* **Sitrus Berry*: If Leftovers is being used by another team member, Sitrus Berry is a decent alternative.

EV Spreads
==========
* **76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe with Timid**: This spread optimizes Serperior’s HP value for use of Leftovers,(RC) while maintaining maximum speed for Glare abuse Speed to spam Glare.

Tera Types
==========

* **Rock**: Tera Rock enables Serperior to more consistently threaten Fire-types and Flying-types,(RC) while allowing it to and resist their attacks.

* **Stellar**: Stellar Tera grants Serperior perfect neutral coverage, as well as another way to boost its Special Attack with Stellar Tera Blast. This is a purely offensive Tera type and provides Serperior with no defensive utility,(RC) ;(ASC) however,(AC) it is arguably the best choice for maximizing overall damage output.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:
milak-gp-small.gif

GP Team done

DerpySuX

Add (AC=add comma, ASC=add semicolon)
Remove (RC=remove comma)

[SET]
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Tera Blast
[SET COMMENTS]

* **Substitute**: When paired with Glare, Substitute allows Serperior to take advantage of the potential free turns afforded by Paralysis paralysis to become even more of a threat and dodge debilitating status from the likes of Porygon2 and Dondozo.

Other Options
==========

* **Dragon Pulse**: Dragon Pulse is difficult to fit in, but it allows Serperior to threaten foes like Dragonite without relying on Terastallizing Terastallization.

Items
=========
* **Leftovers**: Leftovers grants Serperior passive recovery, allowing it to abuse spam Glare’s paralysis spreading more often and make successful substitute Substitute attempts even more punishing.

EV Spreads
==========
* **76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe with Timid**: This spread optimizes Serperior’s HP value for use of Leftovers,(RC) while maintaining maximum speed for Glare abuse Speed to spam Glare.

Tera Types
==========

* **Rock**: Tera Rock enables Serperior to more consistently threaten Fire-types and Flying-types,(RC) while allowing it to and resist their attacks.

* **Stellar**: Stellar Tera grants Serperior perfect neutral coverage, as well as another way to boost its Special Attack with Stellar Tera Blast. This is a purely offensive Tera type and provides Serperior with no defensive utility,(RC) ;(ASC) however,(AC) it is arguably the best choice for maximizing overall damage output.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:
View attachment 598636
GP Team done
Done, thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)