Monotype Offensive Monotype Dragon RMT {Peak: 1350}

plant based

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hi guys,
This is the team I usually run. I tweaked a sample team i found with some interesting strategies I found on ladder that i enjoyed.

Sloth (Dragonite) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Multiscale + Weakness Policy Dragonite finds himself a very nice place on my team: A very strong physical revenge sweeper. With weakness Policy and Multiscale he is able to switch in on threats without rocks on the ground and pick up KO's very easily.

Greed (Latios) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 76 SpD / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Trick

Latios with Scarf and Trick/Psychic is a very potent combo. I sometimes lead with Latios on Flying and Steel teams for tricking Skarmory, and Psychic+Sp.Def EVs allows me to switch in on Tapu Koko and 2HKO with Psychic.

Pride (Kommo-o) @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Dragon Dance

What can I say about Kommo-o. He is a good sweeper and has potential to 1v5 or 4 teams like Grass and Rock. He is a little slow, and I use him occasionally as switch in fodder for an easy Cotton Guard for Mega Altaria.

Envy (Garchomp) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang

I always start with my max speed Garchomp. He is a stupendous suicide rock setter as he outspeed's many leads and I usually get a KO or 2, and weaken for my revenge Dragonite or Kyurem.

Lust (Altaria-Mega) @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136 HP / 8 Def / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Hyper Voice
- Refresh
- Roost

Cotton Guard with Calm nature gives my SpA Altaria a nice seat as a pseudo-wall and revenge killer. I changed it from a physical sweeper as I already have 2 on the team, and needed something with a nice SpA stat other than Kyurem.

Wrath (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Zen Headbutt

Kyurem is the cream of the crop when it comes to sweeping. High SpA allows me to stay in with Ice Beam on certain teams like Flying and Ground. Zen Headbutt helps with certain walls, mainly M-Venusaur.

Any comments are helpful, thank you :-)

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hello plant based, thank you for sharing your team. While this team looks like a standard Dragon team at first glance, some of those sets are either inferior or heavily outclassed by other sets. I will suggest some recommendation without changing the team too much and list your options what you can use.

Starting off with Dragonite, it looks like any standard Weakness Policy set so I won't recommend any changes on the set. The issue with this set is you almost always need the instant burst power so Choice Band is a better choice of item. Moreover, Dragonite has enough power after one or two Dragon Dances, so having the Weakness Policy itself might be an overkill. You might consider Lum Berry over Weakness Policy as it will let you set up safely against status. Considering how risky it is to remove entry hazards in Dragon-type teams because your viable removers are choice locked, amount of times you can pull off a Multiscale assisted Weakness Policy activation is quite limited. This is not a major issue in Flying-type teams but for Dragons, I would either recommend Choice Band or Lum Berry. If you consider running Choice Band, run Earthquake over Dragon Dance.

Moving on with Latios, the only concern here is the odd EV spread which isn't that obligatory to run just to check Tapu Koko. This set might live 2 hits from it, but most likely Latios will die next turn or will be forced out so such EV spread isn't necessary. Knowing the fact that Latios can come in to live a hit, then will chip it heavily for your team to revenge kill it is enough to stick with the standard spread. Keep the set but adjust your EV's to 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe.

Next up we have Kommo-o. Kommo-o's whole purpose is cleaning the weakened teams, and this move set will struggle against many Pokemon. You don't beat up any common Haze user that will yeet on your face, Poison Jab has really low coverage and Adamant nature reduces the damage you deal with the most important STAB that lets you get past common defensive Pokemon such as Swampert and Hippowdon. Running Taunt also lets you ignore their Roar/Whirlwind and Toxic, so you have a better time once you set up.
Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Close Combat
This set shall serve you better overall. Taunt to shut down almost anything passive, Close Combat and Flamethrower together heavily pressures Steel-type teams. Reason for no Poison Jab is you cant z against Fairy-type teams anyway and other part-Fairy Pokemon can be checked with rest of your team.

Garchomp is just a standard lead Pokemon you may expect to see in every team. The only issue here is Fire Fang. Now that I recommended Flamethrower on Kommo-o, the need for Fire Fang is now gone and since Garchomp is a fast suicide lead, you may run some crippling options on it. Roar lets you force out anything if you need, or you may run Dragon Tail to chip opposing Pokemon a bit while doing the same thing. A third alternative is Toxic, which lets you cripple their lead Pokemon.

I see what you tried to do with your Mega Altaria. Unfortunately, that set will not function as a revenge killer as you have only one attacking move and it can be easily resisted or played around. (Also factor that Mega Altaria has some low base Speed) EV spread also doesn't make any sense with this one. A cleric looking Pokemon with max Speed investment is just weird. Since I suggested you a mixed Kommo-o set and we have a revenge killer Latios available, there is no harm in switching this thing into a true cleric.
Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Roost
- Defog
- Heal Bell

Body Slam lets you spread paralysis which is a huge need in Dragon-type teams, as your main offensive Pokemon are actually slow. Heal Bell lets it remove status from its teammates. Having Defog also frees Latios from running it and you may consider some coverage options on it.

Lastly, there is my favorite Pokemon in the USM metagame. You have a Choice Scarf Latios already, along with 2 other Pokemon that can increase their speed and a naturally fast Garchomp so Choice Scarf on this is highly unnecessary. Zen Headbutt effectively hits to nothing that your team cannot handle already and Teravolt ignores Thick Fat so Mega Venusaur was never a concern. Also a Dragon-type STAB attack is not really necessary at this point since 4 of your Pokemon already has Dragon-type coverage ( which essentially means nothing, there's no such thing as Dragon-type coverage ). Here I can recommend the standard Kyurem-B set as well as it will serve you better.
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Ice Beam and Fusion Bolt together form the strongest BoltBeam combo of the game, boosting it with Life Orb give Kyu-B a great burst potential against many teams easily. Earth Power lets you hit to the annoying Steel-types, Roost gives you more durability through the game. You might also want to carry Hidden Power Fire to hit Scizors, but having Kommo-o invalidates the need for a secondary Fire-type attack.

I hope you test these changes out and reach a higher point in the ladder. Good luck to you o/

Last edited:
Hey plant based nice to see you've adjusted the sample Dragon team to your liking. I will drop some suggestions however as this team can be improved.

Your Dragonite set seems fine, although Weakness Policy can be gimmicky. I would still suggest a Choice Band as that set just breaks through Steel, Normal, and Poison teams a lot better. Also Choice Band Extreme Speed is a phenomenal revenge killing move that can pick off threats such Greninja with very little chip damage. If you do however are finding loads of success with Weakness Policy then you do not have to change it.

Your Latios EVs are also very questionable. You state that you are able to switch in on Tapu Koko and then 2HKO twice when this is simply not true.
(252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Latios: 270-320 (89.7 - 106.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock) and if it is not running Specs you get 2HKO's before you can switch in and 2HKO it back therefore there is no real a purpose of these EVs. You also miss out on more reliable revenge killing capabilities such as outpacing other Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion, Keldeo, Nihilego, and Blacephalon and cannot speed tie with opposing Choice Scarf Latios and Gengar. In addition, you cannot revenge kill slower setup sweepers who are at +1 speed as you only hit 330 speed with the EVs you have in place, such as Mega Sharpedo, and Cloyster at +2. So I would make your EV spread with Maximum SpA and Speed investment alongside a Timid nature (252 SpA 4 SpD 252 Spe)

Next up your Kommo-o set I feel can be optimized. Although on paper your Dragon Dance + Poison Jab set might make Fairy a little easier, but your Kommo-o lacks Flamethrower to deal with Steel-types such as Celesteela, Skarmory, Mega Scizor, and actually OHKOing Ferrothorn. Adding Taunt to the set prevents hazers such as Mantine, and Toxapex from essentially getting rid of your boosts thus making you walled by them indefinitely, Taunt also prevents Pokemon such as Celesteela that can use the Leech Seed + Toxic combination to essentially put Kommo-o on a timer. Lastly Drain Punch is an option over Close Combat, although the power drop, it allows Kommo-o to have recovery, and does not drop your Def and SpD every time you use it. For instance, your opponent might want you to use CC to lower your defenses so you can get revenge killed next as you would now be in range of the attack thanks to the drop, therefore Drain Punch can be look at as a better option. Another instance is if your enemy is slowly chipping away at you with a Pokemon to get you in range of a priority move, or a faster Pokemon, Drain Punch would allow to to regain your HP, thus staying out of range. Making this change you would also change your EVs to be (4 Atk 252 SpA 252 Spe)

For your Garchomp its a very standard yet effective set. I would suggest running Stone Edge in conjunction with Swords Dance, as this allows Garchomp to not only setup Stealth Rock, but to pressure Defoggers such as Zapdos, Mantine, Staraptor, and Crobat to keep up your rocks. The need for Outrage and Fire Fang are unnecessary as you do not want to lock yourself in early game to allow your opponent to potentially setup, and Fire Fang does not really hit anything hard specifically.

For Altaria, I am not sure this Altaria will ever get a chance to clean teams with Cotton Guard. Going with a standard bulky Dragon Dance set seems to be the route here as you get the instant advantage vs mirror Dragon teams, as well as you have the ability to set up multiple Dragon Dance as well as Roost off the damage and utilize Refresh or Heal Bell to get rid of status. You can also keep Body Slam as that is still a Pixilated boosted STAB attack and has a chance to cripple a predicted switch in to perhaps aid a teammate in getting rid of it.

Lastly, I do not see the need of running a second Choice Scarf Pokemon as you already have Latios, and potentially Dragon Dance Altaria and Kommo-o who can boost their speed (and even DD Dragonite if you decide to keep that). I would change this to a standard Life Orb mixed wallbreaking set as this can give defensive cores a fit. I also do not see what Zen Headbutt is useful for, you state that it hits Venusaur but since Kyurem-B 's ability is Teravolt it ignores Mega Venusaur's Thick Fat, so Ice Beam is what you would use to hit Mega Venusaur for the most damage output.

Thats all i've got GL with the team!

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Trick

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Taunt
- Flamethrower
- Drain Punch

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Body Slam / Frustration
- Refresh / Heal Bell

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

plant based

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hello plant based, thank you for sharing your team. While this team looks like a standard Dragon team at first glance, some of those sets are either inferior or heavily outclassed by other sets. I will suggest some recommendation without changing the team too much and list your options what you can use.

Starting off with Dragonite, it looks like any standard Weakness Policy set so I won't recommend any changes on the set. The issue with this set is you almost always need the instant burst power so Choice Band is a better choice of item. Moreover, Dragonite has enough power after one or two Dragon Dances, so having the Weakness Policy itself might be an overkill. You might consider Lum Berry over Weakness Policy as it will let you set up safely against status. Considering how risky it is to remove entry hazards in Dragon-type teams because your viable removers are choice locked, amount of times you can pull off a Multiscale assisted Weakness Policy activation is quite limited. This is not a major issue in Flying-type teams but for Dragons, I would either recommend Choice Band or Lum Berry. If you consider running Choice Band, run Earthquake over Dragon Dance.

Moving on with Latios, the only concern here is the odd EV spread which isn't that obligatory to run just to check Tapu Koko. This set might live 2 hits from it, but most likely Latios will die next turn or will be forced out so such EV spread isn't necessary. Knowing the fact that Latios can come in to live a hit, then will chip it heavily for your team to revenge kill it is enough to stick with the standard spread. Keep the set but adjust your EV's to 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe.

Next up we have Kommo-o. Kommo-o's whole purpose is cleaning the weakened teams, and this move set will struggle against many Pokemon. You don't beat up any common Haze user that will yeet on your face, Poison Jab has really low coverage and Adamant nature reduces the damage you deal with the most important STAB that lets you get past common defensive Pokemon such as Swampert and Hippowdon. Running Taunt also lets you ignore their Roar/Whirlwind and Toxic, so you have a better time once you set up.
Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Close Combat
This set shall serve you better overall. Taunt to shut down almost anything passive, Close Combat and Flamethrower together heavily pressures Steel-type teams. Reason for no Poison Jab is you cant z against Fairy-type teams anyway and other part-Fairy Pokemon can be checked with rest of your team.

Garchomp is just a standard lead Pokemon you may expect to see in every team. The only issue here is Fire Fang. Now that I recommended Flamethrower on Kommo-o, the need for Fire Fang is now gone and since Garchomp is a fast suicide lead, you may run some crippling options on it. Roar lets you force out anything if you need, or you may run Dragon Tail to chip opposing Pokemon a bit while doing the same thing. A third alternative is Toxic, which lets you cripple their lead Pokemon.

I see what you tried to do with your Mega Altaria. Unfortunately, that set will not function as a revenge killer as you have only one attacking move and it can be easily resisted or played around. (Also factor that Mega Altaria has some low base Speed) EV spread also doesn't make any sense with this one. A cleric looking Pokemon with max Speed investment is just weird. Since I suggested you a mixed Kommo-o set and we have a revenge killer Latios available, there is no harm in switching this thing into a true cleric.
Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Roost
- Defog
- Heal Bell

Body Slam lets you spread paralysis which is a huge need in Dragon-type teams, as your main offensive Pokemon are actually slow. Heal Bell lets it remove status from its teammates. Having Defog also frees Latios from running it and you may consider some coverage options on it.

Lastly, there is my favorite Pokemon in the USM metagame. You have a Choice Scarf Latios already, along with 2 other Pokemon that can increase their speed and a naturally fast Garchomp so Choice Scarf on this is highly unnecessary. Zen Headbutt effectively hits to nothing that your team cannot handle already and Teravolt ignores Thick Fat so Mega Venusaur was never a concern. Also a Dragon-type STAB attack is not really necessary at this point since 4 of your Pokemon already has Dragon-type coverage ( which essentially means nothing, there's no such thing as Dragon-type coverage ). Here I can recommend the standard Kyurem-B set as well as it will serve you better.
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Ice Beam and Fusion Bolt together form the strongest BoltBeam combo of the game, boosting it with Life Orb give Kyu-B a great burst potential against many teams easily. Earth Power lets you hit to the annoying Steel-types, Roost gives you more durability through the game. You might also want to carry Hidden Power Fire to hit Scizors, but having Kommo-o invalidates the need for a secondary Fire-type attack.

I hope you test these changes out and reach a higher point in the ladder. Good luck to you o/
Thank you very much for the help. I like to run Soundproof on Kommo-o to defend from Dittos hitting me with a CS, but I will use this set other than that :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)