NYPC moves in DP on Competitor

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
With the release of both DP and Competitor getting closer, it's a good time to address this thing that, for some reason, hasn't really sparked much intense discussion. That is, old NYPC moves in the DP metagame. Specifically, on the future Smogon Competitor server.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and if I'm wrong this entire post is pointless, but NYPC doesn't even have these pokemon downloading machines anymore, and they have been out of commission for a long time? If that's the case I say it's a pretty good idea to nix the NYPC moves from the default Competitor database for Diamond and Pearl.

Do any of us have a wish Blissey, or even know someone who has one? Some of these NYPC pokemon have been extremely influential in their respective metagames and I find the idea that everyone should be able to use something so silly as a wish Blissey or Hypno in DP to be ridiculous, seeing as how it's pretty much impossible to get ingame now.

Obviously if more giveaways come out they should be added to the database, but as far as old giveaways go I think it's a bad idea to keep this trash around as you would -never- see any of this -ever- without sharking. What does everyone else think?

i would be inclined to agree had the cloning glitch not been discovered. anyone can just clone their nypc pokemon and send it to whomever they please, meaning they really arent THAT difficult to get. just ask around online and im sure youd be able to find someone who would trade you one.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I would agree to that. I know one or two people from the NYC area that have them. I wouldn't have been able to secure a trade for one of them without the cloning glitch partly because they would never part with it. I probably wouldn't part with what I'm giving him for one, either, if I couldn't clone it. Heck, I still don't, but they do exist and I think forcing a change like that is pretty unfair given it is legal.

They're obtainable in the game, I don't see why they'd be illegal. However hard it may be, everyone has access to them theoretically. I can't see why it'd change from RS to DP anyway...you can get them in RS and then send to DP.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If it's the case that people actually know people in the NYC area that have these pokemon then I say 'nevermind' to all of this because my entire premise, that these things are nearly impossible to get, is false and they'll probably be all over the place on DP wifi.

In any case, I seem to have seriously underestimated the number of people that have these.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to consider the possibility of restricting NYPC Pokemon to certain IVs\nature sets. While it is certainly possible to keep breeding over and over for max stat Pokemon or certain Hidden Powers, this can't be done with NYPC critters - you're stuck with the one we get.

On the other hand, we then have the problem of figuring out what's a legit NYPC Pokemon and a monster that's been sharked to look like one, but also has a certain Hidden Power or whatnot.

This NYPC thing, in my opinion, is a serious matter of discussion. I was at the NYPC when they were giving away Wish Chanseys, and this was *AFTER* they had dismantled the famed "Pokemon Machine" that gave away such things as Growth Eevee in GSC. Similar to Jirachi (pre-Bonus Disc), Wish Chanseys were given out by store employees over link cables using some sort of cloning method. Only two specific Chanseys were cloned with Wish if I recall -- a Modest one with Serene Grace holding a Liechi Berry and a Calm one with Natural Cure holding a Salac Berry. Jirachi was distributed the same way -- one held a Liechi while the other held a Salac. (My Jirachi is Bold and held a Salac, I forget the other's nature.) With Jirachi, however, it's all moot as the Colosseum Bonus Disc enabled the distribution of infinite Jirachi natures/IV combinations. Here's my pre-Bonus Disc Jirachi in Sapphire:

Anyway, if I see people with Wish Blisseys on WiFi they are cheaters in my eyes. So few people have those things, and there's no way that they can be 31/31/31/31/31/31 and Bold.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
If it is possible to get them, include it; otherwise, don't.

I don't really see a gray area here. The whole allure of competitor over Wi-Fi is that it allows you to achieve poke-perfection without the effort. Sure, a modest 70 Base HP Ice Zapdos with straight 31's is tough to get, but that doesn't mean we are going to disallow it. Obstacles to obtaining something (such as only being able to get it in New York city) shouldn't be factored into the decision. I don't know if they moves are even available in NYC... but if they are, they should be included, no question. If the opposite is true, the answer is equally clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)