Tournament NUPL X - Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader

NUPL X Info Hub
NUPL X Spreadsheet

Week 1

MF PLOOMS
(4) vs (4) The Holy Heliolisks
SS: zS vs Kushalos
SS: Togkey vs OranBerryBlissey10
SS: Test Techles vs turtledoggo1
SM: avarice vs etern
ORAS: Spl4sh vs gorex
BW: cb aaron judge vs Annoyer
DPP: Beraldinho vs HSOWA
ADV: Raichy vs Plas

Tailor-made Talonflames (4) vs (4) The Moneymaker Musharnas
SS: OnArceus vs Confide
SS: GoldCat vs GXE
SS: Elias PSY vs Raptor
SM: Clementine vs Luthier
ORAS: Shaneghoul vs Kiyo
BW: Bughouse vs Shuckleking87
DPP: Heysup vs vivalospride
ADV: Triangles vs Jisoo

The Freedom Frogadiers (4) vs (4) The Malding Machamps
SS: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs Star
SS: GW vs TJ
SS: Davon vs Xiri
SM: EternalSnowman vs robjr
ORAS: quziel vs Chaitanya
BW: Links vs ninjadog
DPP: Drud vs tlenit
ADV: JabbaTheGriffin vs ziloXX

Catacomb Cacturnes (6) vs (2) Vibrant Vivillons
SS: Danny vs xavgb
SS: jonfilch vs Sage
SS: EviGaro vs Sabella
USUM: Welli0u vs lax
ORAS: The Goomy vs crying
BW: roxiee vs shiloh
DPP: Bouff vs Staxi
ADV: ArcticBreeze vs Rabia
MF PLOOMS (0) vs (0) The Holy Heliolisk
SM: avarice vs etern

Tailor-made Talonflames (0) vs (0) The Moneymaker Musharnas

The Freedom Frogadiers (0) vs (0) The Malding Machamps

Catacomb Cacturnes (0) vs (0) Vibrant Vivillons

Good luck to everyone in the first week of NUPL X! I am very excited to see all of the games, but for this to happen, PLEASE SCHEDULE ASAP. VM your opponents upon seeing this now, follow through properly, and alert your managers of any conflicts when they arise. No activity nonsense this tournament.

The deadline will be 10PM GMT-4 on Sunday, May 15th.

Last edited:
El Predicts

MF PLOOMS (5) vs (3) The Holy Heliolisk
SM: mncmt vs etern

Tailor-made Talonflames (4) vs (4) The Moneymaker Musharnas

The Freedom Frogadiers (3) vs (5) The Malding Machamps

Catacomb Cacturnes (4) vs (4) Vibrant Vivillons

Flinchedinator vs Aawinner

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
Not doing BW or below because lol.

Tailor-made Talonflames (0) vs (0) The Moneymaker Musharnas
SS: OnArceus vs Confide (Very cool w1 matchup between two solid SS NU competitors. Atm I view OnA as the #1 SS NUer and he's been constantly improving since I noticed him last year. I could see Confide building a unique team that catches him off guard but I think OnA will be able to counteract that with his own unique builds that he tends to bring. Should be a close game all in all.)
SS: GoldCat vs GXE (GoldCat does well in these PLs and if he can navigate the chaos of BW RU then he should have no problem with SS NU, not too familiar with GXE but I see that he's having a good run in NU Open so this could really go either way. 51-49 kind of game.)
SS: Elias PSY vs Raptor (Slight edge to raptor, he's had good success in the past, but wouldn't be surprised if Elias took this either based on more direct NU experience and bringing something weird.)
SM: Clementine vs Luthier (Neither of these guys are really SM NU players but Luthier is a good player in general so I think he should take this on a neutral playing field, interested to see what they both bring though but I'm expecting some pretty standard balance v balance.)
ORAS: Shaneghoul vs Kiyo (Highlight matchup for me even though it isn't 2016. Shane was always at the top of ORAS NU in terms of players but I need to see how motivated he is and if he brings serious teams or just mucks around for the season. Kiyo has been quietly putting together a string of very good performances in ORAS over the past few years which is no surprise from the avid Relicanth wielder. I think Kiyo takes this and Shane finds his footing by week 2. KID KIYOOOOOO.)

The Freedom Frogadiers (0) vs (0) The Malding Machamps
SS: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs Star (Star is one of the best players on the site and always does well in NUPL, S1nn0h is gonna want to live up to his 19k pricetag and I think he will, but this will be a tough match for him that he'll need to build accordingly for it. I see both of these guys finishing positive and they're both familiar enough with the tier that I doubt it'll be a blowout either way, backing Star though.
SS: GW vs TJ (I want GW to dispel the memes and end his 007 streak, so I'm cheering for the frog warrior here. Just don't get tilted by turn 3.)
SS: Davon vs Xiri (Both have done well in NU Circuit but I think Davon has a bit more of a firm grasp on the tier and comfort piloting different styles of builds, so I have to go with him. Could easily go to Xiri though.)
SM: EternalSnowman vs robjr (I'm not sure who is gonna supply rob with teams on the Machamps which is a bit of an issue considering the lack of SM support there, but I'm sure he's collected stuff and can put his own together if need be, and when rob pilots a solid team he's always got a great shot at making minimal misplays and winning. Going with him here.)
ORAS: quziel vs Chaitanya (I know quz is busy atm but he always shows up for ORAS with some cool variation designed to dismantle his opponent and I think it'll work like a charm against the inevitable clef plume balance that Chait gets passed.)

Catacomb Cacturnes (0) vs (0) Vibrant Vivillons
SS: Danny vs xavgb (I wasn't sure who to pick for this one but I just have a gut feeling Danny is gonna prep extra hard for this to prove himself and shut down the doubters, interested to see how he performs in the unfamiliar territory of having a decent price on his head.)
SS: jonfilch vs Sage (I think Sage has a good grasp of all the SS lower tiers and can probably take this if she plays to her ability, but this one could also go either way.)
SS: EviGaro vs Sabella (I would've gone with Sab but I'm not sure how up to date he is with the current NU meta since he last played it, and Evi is the kind of player that I think performs very well in bulky offense metas like SS NU. I'd just advise manager roxiee to make sure this game takes place on a Sunday and NOT on a Monday.)
USUM: Welli0u vs lax (Not sure how active lax is nowadays but when he was active he was one of the best, so I'm gonna bold him here.)
ORAS: The Goomy vs crying (I'm not putting Goomy out to pasture just yet, I think he's gonna do well this season and perhaps be motivated by the sight of some more familiar faces in the pool from the old days.)
BW: roxiee vs shiloh (There is absolutely NO way this game is happening, idk why Finch even bothered posting this matchup. Joo is playing two games max this season and this is not one of them, enjoy the next 8 weeks Rabia :).

Last edited:
Tailor-made Talonflames (3) vs (5) The Moneymaker Musharnas
SS: OnArceus vs Confide: 51/49 matchup, way too hard to say before team preview who will win. Confide won the last time these 2 met, but this edge comes down to prep difference as OnArc knows the meta right now and there isn't any good scouts of him (to my knowledge) that exist for current meta.
SS: GoldCat vs GXE: GoldCat can win this, but I think GXE is just a really good player and he can outpilot GC in even MU.
SS: Elias PSY vs Raptor: Elias brings crack and Raptor is just a really good pilot, so unless Elias gets MU same as above.
SM: Clementine vs Luthier: Luth is just comfy in SM NU and I think he'll win this week.
ORAS: Shaneghoul vs Kiyo: Shaneghoul likely will need a week to get back up to speed on everything, as people have finally stopped just using his teams (for the most part). Kiyo is sharp and will likely bring something Shane wasn't expecting.
BW: Bughouse vs Shuckleking87: Another close one, just give the edge to Bughouse as he has been consistently performing really well in these environments.
DPP: Heysup vs vivalospride: Sorry viv, Heysup is just the favourite.
ADV: Triangles vs Jisoo: Jisoo almost went undefeated last year, and is still prepping and playing very well. Triangles will probably fish in this slot and fail imo.

The Freedom Frogadiers (5) vs (3) The Malding Machamps
SS: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs Star: Ninja or Xiri will feed Star something good and he'll just pilot it to a dub, probably the best pilot in the pool (discounting my team of course!)
SS: GW vs TJ: GW can't go 0-7 again surely
SS: Davon vs Xiri: Xiri is hot and Davon is not, that's about it. I think Davon is also sharp, but Xiri has repeatedly shown that all his performances are not a fluke, and has been staying at the top of his game before this tournament with his 3rd place finish in the recent seasonal.
SM: EternalSnowman vs robjr: I just trust rob in this tier, and I also think he's a better pilot.
ORAS: quziel vs Chaitanya: quziel is always innovating in this tier and plays well with his own teams, while I think Chait will probably just recycle and go about even. I'm not really sure who's going to feed him teams in this slot.
BW: Links vs ninjadog: Links is just really sharp, did really well off the bench in NUSD and I think he's probably the best builder in the tier currently.
DPP: Drud vs tlenit: 2 people that play DPP PU instead of DPP NU, so I'm going to bold the DPP PU GOAT.
ADV: JabbaTheGriffin vs ziloXX: I literally didn't know zilo played this tier until making these predicts, and Jabba did well enough last year with building and playing.

Catacomb Cacturnes (3) vs (5) Vibrant Vivillons
SS: Danny vs xavgb: 51/49 again on prep, similar to the first. Another highlight.
SS: jonfilch vs Sage: This is a salty bold because jonfilch haxed me out of NU Open (but also Sage has been doing really well recently in tours such as SPL, and I think the support in Rabia is there)
SS: EviGaro vs Sabella: This is a stupid one to predict, and I literally only did this result because I think Sabella will bring some stupid scarfer that will tilt Evi and win for no reason (but this should also be a good game in all seriousness)
USUM: Welli0u vs lax: No comment needed
ORAS: The Goomy vs crying: Goomy is gonna be motivated and prep, and I guess crying will just use whatever Rabia has lying around, so I think Goomy has a good shot here. Crying has the potential to outplay and just win though.
BW: roxiee vs shiloh: shiloh still can play this video game surprisingly enough, though there's a good possibility we see pre STag ban teams from both sides lol
DPP: Bouff vs Staxi: Staxi is experienced in this tier, and idk where Bouff will source his teams from. Staxi should be fine, between shiloh and himself
ADV: ArcticBreeze vs Rabia: Arctic didn't really want to play this tier but he's still very solid, gonna come down to prep for Rabia to win this one I think

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
ADV: Raichy vs Plas - I feel like this take is very bold, but I think Plas with Rosey support is incredibly demonic. Plas has a fairly solid amount of experience in this tier dating back a few years, and I think with Rosey to help catch them up on any recent developments that they shouldn't be lagging behind---at least not for long.
ADV: Triangles vs Jisoo - Is Jisoo just a product of my support??? Find out more this NUPL. Jokes aside, I figure Jisoo has another very great tournament in a surprisingly stacked ADV pool. I haven't seen Triangles play ADV recently, but at worst he can reuse some old builds early on if necessary, and I was pretty fond of a couple techs he showcased in the first few games I saw him play. Both players are really good at innovating in a tier that feels super solved, so I'm interested in their long-term performances.
ADV: JabbaTheGriffin vs ziloXX - I've never seen zilo play this tier before; Jabba looked pretty solid last time he played, so I'm gonna err on the side of caution with this one.

i will beat arcticbreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)