Project NU TeamBuilding Lab (Open for Business in 2024)

Danny

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ZU Circuit Champion
op stolen from Oathkeeper
approved by Meri Berry

Art TBD

NU Teambuilding Lab
- Have a one paragraph description with the core / Pokemon you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be.
- Do not post asking us to make use of unviable Pokemon (a.k.a. not on the NU Viability Rankings). This is not a competition to see how good we are at teambuilding; this is us trying to educate people on what is good and how to build effective teams.
- Do not flame people for asking for a certain Pokemon or that they can't build one themselves.
- Each user is allowed one request per week and any user found requesting multiple will have their post deleted
- Please remember that these teams are first drafts and as such will not be perfect. Edit them as you please.
- On that note, you are free (and highly encouraged) to suggest and post changes / critiques you've made to already posted teams that you feel improve them.
- Please refrain from posting teams unless you are an "employee," but if you feel that you would be a valuable asset to the construction of a certain team, PM me.
- Do note that requests for teams built around mons that are below C rank are not allowed anymore as they are generally less viable mons in the tier (C rank is still allowed)

1. Be knowledgeable regarding the NU tier and the current metagame
2. Provide evidence demonstrating your skills as a builder (RMT Team Showcase, examples of successful teams, etc.)
3. ~A paragraph in length describing how you build / what playstyle you are best at building (offense, stall, or balance, to be precise)
You must clearly demonstrate to the hosts that you deserve consideration as a builder. If you do not provide enough useful information to successfully enable us to judge your suitability for the position, your application will be declined.

Note: If you wish to become a member of the Lab staff, please send the hosts a forum PM containing an application that follows the format below. Bear in mind that demand for builders will fluctuate based on the volume of requests and the activity level of the Lab's current staff.

You're also welcome to include exact sets that you would want.

Announcements:
  • The Lab does not accept requests including Pokemon undergoing suspect testing.
  • ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS!!!
Hosts
Danny
Oathkeeper

Builders
Danny
Dr. Phd. BJ
etern
Kiyo
Lucario
Oathkeeper
Phantomistix
plznostep
poh
Pokeslice
Rabia
Shengineer
skierdude101

Last edited by a moderator:
i just want a balance team that is consistent and has medicham please would love that whenever you are free also tips on how to build around medi

Danny

ZU Circuit Champion
im too lazy to build teams atm so give me something balance-y with np haunter
esteemed tier leader i have your team here:
:sv/haunter: :sv/sandaconda: :sv/chansey: :sv/lurantis: :sv/zoroark: :sv/scyther:

started the team off with the requested mon, NP haunter is not my favorite haunter set(encore tspikes is best), however this set is best made to abuse the fat balance teams with chansey or sandaconda. I opted for eviolite to give you some more bulk. Substitute with leftovers is also an option to better abuse switches. Tera Fairy gives it a way to resist knock off from passimian as well as dark pulses from zoro. Sandaconda is near mandatory on every team and I opted for a helmet coil set to allow it to still stave off physical hits while serving as a bulky win condition. Chansey gives the team rocks and a spD blanket wall. Lurantis is mandatory removal and another way to break. I opted with scarfed zoro here with trick to annoy the bulky spD mons that try and switch into haunter or zoro. Lastly I opted with 4a scyther with thief and close combat as coverage. You could use SD>thief and give your team another offensive win condition. Lots of maneuverability in the movesets. Here is a replay of me beating Ho3n where I poorly used haunter but it shows the team performing well.

Replay

Enjoy!

Hi ! I don't know if it's possible but i would like help to build in sv nu (never build in this tier), with an anti-meta mon. PM me if u want to help me !

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Hi ! I don't know if it's possible but i would like help to build in sv nu (never build in this tier), with an anti-meta mon. PM me if u want to help me !
Hi! I love the enthusiasm, but this thread isn’t meant for these type of requests. Feel free to join to NU Discord to ask for stuff along these lines.

The teambuilding lab is a place where you can request a team built around a Pokémon in the metagame for us to throw together for you, so feel free to request anything on the viability ranking!

Hi! I love the enthusiasm, but this thread isn’t meant for these type of requests. Feel free to join to NU Discord to ask for stuff along these lines.

The teambuilding lab is a place where you can request a team built around a Pokémon in the metagame for us to throw together for you, so feel free to request anything on the viability ranking!
Ok, i will ask on the nu discord
Have a good day!

Reactions: asa

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I’m new to nu, so I’d like a hyper offense team that uses Gligar. Gliscor is my favorite mon, and I feel hyper offense would get the most experience quickly
https://pokepast.es/c88efaec2be170a2

Here ya go. There’s not a lot of room to play incorrectly vs special attackers such as Jolteon and Goodra - I usually go Grimmsnarl into Goodra and resign my fate if they specs sludge bomb. If you find you’re losing to SpAttackers more than you’d like you can try assault vest with 196 hp / 252 spa / 56 spe instead with knock off over scald. Gligar is a pretty reliable check to the physical attackers in the tier not named bruxish and floatzel, but your own bruxish and goodra are usually bulky enough to pivot appropriately. In general if you find yourself playing reactively you’re probably gonna lose, you want to bait switches into favorable matchups for Heracross and Salazzle to make progress early and hopefully clean up with bruxish or grimm late game. Use gligar to get momentum back if you mess up or sack the least important pivoting mon and follow it up with a threat. I think this team could get to 1450 or so if you play well, but it’s strictly in the ok/good category, not great. Also i am realizing i didnt do teras but water or steel gligar and dark lazzle is prob fine

Last edited:
I would like a balanced team with a slight offensive focus, if you can, for a team around Gyarados and Lycanroc-D. I notice with top Elo players, it's hard to be a hyper-offensive team, so that is why I want a balanced team.
Ok, since one of these Pokemon is banned, I would like to replace it with Mew. Also, if you happen to make the team with Gyarados, can I please have it now so I can use it before the ban goes into effect?

Hey, I’m new to the tier and wanted to play a team with Scrafty on it (I think he’s B tier last I checked but I might be wrong.) I assume he would fit best on a bulky offense team but I’m perfectly fine with something more passive if that works better

Danny

ZU Circuit Champion
I would like a balanced team with a slight offensive focus, if you can, for a team around Gyarados and Lycanroc-D. I notice with top Elo players, it's hard to be a hyper-offensive team, so that is why I want a balanced team.
Since Gyarados was banned before I started building for you, here are two Lycanroc-Dusk + Mew Teams ready to be used! Before I go into the descriptions, I want to warrant this with a few notes. First of all, both of these teams have only been tested 5 times each. Probably not sufficient to get a good read on them. The first one is 4-1 and the second one is 3-2. Felt they were good enough to pass after I made a few edits for their issues. I would reccomend trying this combo of mew+lydog on an Offense, or Hyper Offense, as on those types of teams their abilities really shine through. Without further ado, lets get into the teams!

:sv/lycanroc-dusk: :sv/mew: :sv/tsareena: :sv/overqwil: :sv/gligar: :sv/magnezone:
I chose this Lydog set because I wanted to have a hard counter to webs teams which are super prominent on the ladder right now. Loaded dice rock blast helps with other lead pokemon as well as being more accurate and stronger than stone edge. The other moves are pretty self explanatory and will not go into much detail on that. I wanted to add a more consistent win condition for the mew slot, was bouncing between a few ideas and decided that the Weakness Policy set is very solid right now and can give you a strong win condition long term versus stall teams which might be popping up in the near future. I would experiment with tera types, try out tera poison or tera steel as both seem solid but kept it default fairy for now as it has been okay. This set can easily be replaced by a Nasty Plot 3 attacks set as well so I really recommend messing around with the Mew. Hazard removal and momentum came next, so I opted with my fav right now of tsareena which gives the team a knock off user along with removal and pivot. Lum was chosen to dodge scald burns and Talonflame's Flame body, both of which can be annoying for this squad. Spikes and rocks were added next, between Overqwil and Gligar you have a pretty decent defensive core that can exert max pressure with hazards and status. Ghost Overqwil to give you a spin blocker and Water Gligar for the rain match up. Lastly I wanted counterplay for Thundurus, as well as a good specially offensive pivot and Magnezone has performed really well here. Mirror Coat for the smack back and the other moves are pretty linear. I would use lycanroc both mid and late game to take advantage of the hazards you lay. Play the hazard game and try and keep them up. Preserve mew for a late game sweep once the steel types and muk-alola are weakened by magnezone and hazards. Be careful around set up sweepers as the speed control situation on this team is pretty dire. As another alternative set, you can try to run Crunch over Rock blast and make the Lycanroc Life Orb if you are struggling too much into Slowbro.

Onto the next one...

:sv/Lycanroc-Dusk: :sv/mew: :sv/mudsdale: :sv/noivern: : sv/basculegion-M: :sv/magnezone:

Very similar to the last, this team relies on overwhelming to achieve its goals. Banded Lydog was chosen to give an alternative to the Swords Dance set, and also because it can poke huge holes in the defensive structures of some teams. Its moveset is really linear and just the best 4 moves it can have. The Mew set was something that I wanted to try out and I thought it would be really cool lol. In hindsight, it really is not the best set, but it can catch a lot of people off guard and steal wins very easily. STAB Psyfangs is chosen for obvious reason, while Leech Life can easily be Knock Off if you would like. Earthquake Tera Ground was chosen to give you easy set up on Thundurus, along with OHKOing Muk Alola. The rest of the team was just there to fill in a defensive structure along with giving some more pivots(common trend in both of these teams). The same Magnezone set so am not really going into that much. Scarf bascu is kinda cool, I like it because many times I see a Slowbro switch into Basculegion because its ghost stab is nonexistent, lo and behold you just got hit with special shadow ball. That's about it the concept is really easy just pivot and keep your rocks up and break with lydog. Use the special attacking pivots to bring in the physical Lydog and sweep with mew late.

Hope you enjoy these teams and the tier!

Last edited:
Since Gyarados was banned before I started building for you, here are two Lycanroc-Dusk + Mew Teams ready to be used! Before I go into the descriptions, I want to warrant this with a few notes. First of all, both of these teams have only been tested 5 times each. Probably not sufficient to get a good read on them. The first one is 4-1 and the second one is 3-2. Felt they were good enough to pass after I made a few edits for their issues. I would reccomend trying this combo of mew+lydog on an Offense, or Hyper Offense, as on those types of teams their abilities really shine through. Without further ado, lets get into the teams!

:sv/lycanroc-dusk: :sv/mew: :sv/tsareena: :sv/overqwil: :sv/gligar: :sv/magnezone:
I chose this Lydog set because I wanted to have a hard counter to webs teams which are super prominent on the ladder right now. Loaded dice rock blast helps with other lead pokemon as well as being more accurate and stronger than stone edge. The other moves are pretty self explanatory and will not go into much detail on that. I wanted to add a more consistent win condition for the mew slot, was bouncing between a few ideas and decided that the Weakness Policy set is very solid right now and can give you a strong win condition long term versus stall teams which might be popping up in the near future. I would experiment with tera types, try out tera poison or tera steel as both seem solid but kept it default fairy for now as it has been okay. This set can easily be replaced by a Nasty Plot 3 attacks set as well so I really recommend messing around with the Mew. Hazard removal and momentum came next, so I opted with my fav right now of tsareena which gives the team a knock off user along with removal and pivot. Lum was chosen to dodge scald burns and Talonflame's Flame body, both of which can be annoying for this squad. Spikes and rocks were added next, between Overqwil and Gligar you have a pretty decent defensive core that can exert max pressure with hazards and status. Ghost Overqwil to give you a spin blocker and Water Gligar for the rain match up. Lastly I wanted counterplay for Thundurus, as well as a good specially offensive pivot and Magnezone has performed really well here. Mirror Coat for the smack back and the other moves are pretty linear. I would use lycanroc both mid and late game to take advantage of the hazards you lay. Play the hazard game and try and keep them up. Preserve mew for a late game sweep once the steel types and muk-alola are weakened by magnezone and hazards. Be careful around set up sweepers as the speed control situation on this team is pretty dire. As another alternative set, you can try to run Crunch over Rock blast and make the Lycanroc Life Orb if you are struggling too much into Slowbro.

Onto the next one...

:sv/Lycanroc-Dusk: :sv/mew: :sv/mudsdale: :sv/noivern: : sv/basculegion-M: :sv/magnezone:

Very similar to the last, this team relies on overwhelming to achieve its goals. Banded Lydog was chosen to give an alternative to the Swords Dance set, and also because it can poke huge holes in the defensive structures of some teams. Its moveset is really linear and just the best 4 moves it can have. The Mew set was something that I wanted to try out and I thought it would be really cool lol. In hindsight, it really is not the best set, but it can catch a lot of people off guard and steal wins very easily. STAB Psyfangs is chosen for obvious reason, while Leech Life can easily be Knock Off if you would like. Earthquake Tera Ground was chosen to give you easy set up on Thundurus, along with OHKOing Muk Alola. The rest of the team was just there to fill in a defensive structure along with giving some more pivots(common trend in both of these teams). The same Magnezone set so am not really going into that much. Scarf bascu is kinda cool, I like it because many times I see a Slowbro switch into Basculegion because its ghost stab is nonexistent, lo and behold you just got hit with special shadow ball. That's about it the concept is really easy just pivot and keep your rocks up and break with lydog. Use the special attacking pivots to bring in the physical Lydog and sweep with mew late.

Thank you very much. I will give an update on both these teams once I have done some testing.

Onto the next one...

So, here is an update on my uses for both teams. For the first one, I have been trash, and I have only won one battle. For the second one, I have been surprisingly well, and basculehion has been oddly clutch.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
So, here is an update on my uses for both teams. For the first one, I have been trash, and I have only won one battle. For the second one, I have been surprisingly well, and basculehion has been oddly clutch.
just wanna let u know Danny passed you an Impish nature Lycanroc-D and idk if you fixed it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)