NU Playstyle Classification Thread

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Some more nominations!

Specially Defensive Ludicolo:
Tank / Utility
Stall | Balance | Bulky Offense
  • Supports leech seed for rest of team
  • Takes special hits extremely well
  • The best check in the game to Water type sweepers, making it vital to a lot of team's success that are dreadedly weak to Samurott and Simipour.
  • Unpredictable

Lead Cacturne:
Hazard Setter / Attacker
Balance | Offense | Bulky Offense
  • Can Sweep unprepared teams
  • Reliably gets up 1-2 layers of hazards
  • Gets a good matchup against the majority of common leads
  • Flexible playstyle (Like a second more hard hitting Scolipede)

Physically Defensive Golbat:
Utility / Tank
Bulky Offense | Stall
  • Helps bulky offense break stall, and is a reliable check to a vast majority of walls
  • One of the best checks to commonplace fighting types
  • Hits relatively hard
  • Has Reliable Recovery

Scarf Rotom:
Revenge Killer
Offense | Bulky Offense
  • Reliably checks Carracosta and Gorebyss after set up
  • Quick hard hitting revenge killers
  • Access to trick to shut down walls
I just want to clarify some things on these Pokemon;
Ludicolo
  • I have never saw a Specially Defensive Ludicolo on Bulky Offense, since most of the time you can use Roselia to check Water-types and Rain teams while also filling the role of a spiker (and I also really don't think SpDef Ludicolo should be used on Bulky Offense). With that in mind I won't add it there unless it gets more support.
  • Talking of checking Water-types: Ludicolo has problems against the two Pokemon you listed that it checks, Samurott and Simipour. The former carry Megahorn quite a lot in this metagame to KO Jynx and 2HKO Musharna/SpD Ludicolo, while the later can run an effective physical set with Acrobatic/Waterfall/Substitute/Endeavor that can deal with its usual check and counter and use Endeavor when its health gets low against walls to keep them at low health, which can be dangerous when used correctly.
  • Specially Defensive Ludicolo isn't a Tank or a Utility Pokemon; it is mostly used to check Rain teams which are quite dangerous in this tier while also being able to take strong special hits with its amazing typing and bulk on the special side.
  • I'll add it to Stall and Balance though, as it can check some dangerous Pokemon such as Ludicolo itself and some other Rain abuser.
Cacturne
  • I'll add it to Offense and Bulky Offense since Balance usually prefer a Spikes user able to last longer than 2-3 turns.
Golbat
  • Again, like Ludicolo, I don't see Golbat much on Bulky Offense teams since they usually use the raw power of the multiple wallbreaker in the tier to break cores, and to be completly honest, Balance and Stall are probably the two playstyle where Golbat can see good uses thanks to its amazing typing and support movepool, only really facing competition with Mandibuzz.
Rotom-Spin/Rotom-Frost
  • I wouldn't say they reliably revenge kill Carracosta as they take a minimum of 64% from Adamant +2 Aqua Jet with Life Orb :).
  • While they are still decent revenge killer, they face a lot of competition with Jynx, Primeape, Charizard, and Tauros, I will still add them though!
  • Adding to that, their Expert Belt set is amazing in this metagame to lure a good amount of their usual checks (ex: Golem switching on a Volt Switch just to get OHKO by Hidden Power Grass, Air Slash the Grass-types who think you are locked on Thunderbolt..) so I will add Rotom-S/-F in Bulky Offense under Utility as Expert Belt is mainly a lure set.
Feel free if anything mentionned in this post is false; I just woke up and might have said wrong facts :pirate: I'll update later!

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Updated, and since this is my thread I will allow myself to double post with this;

Sun teams

For Hazard Setters and Sun Setters
  • Stealth Rock :pirate:
  • Rock-type and good defensive stats, which makes it one of the few things than can actually take a Sun boosted Fire-type move.
  • Can reliably set up a Sunny Day or two during the game, which should be enough to win the game!
  • Pairs well with Volbeat, which resists Fighting-, Ground-, and Grass-type moves, while Regirock resist Flying- and Fire-type attacks (its awsome because Volbeat should ALWAYS be used on Sun in my opinion).

For Sun Sweepers
  • Hits hard.
  • Has access to Psychic STAB, which helps to remove Poison-types for its teammates (Victreebel).
  • Can go mix with either Low Kick or Nature Power to OHKO Bastiodon, Probopass, KO Skuntank without fearing Sucker Punch, Regice, and Camerupt.
  • Exeggutor is also decently bulky, which means it can support the team by setting up Sunny Day if necessary.
I also want to remind everyone that if you think a Pokemon shouldn't be mentionned in one of the roles or playstyle in the list, feel free to post about it!

Last edited:
Balance (Physical Sweepers)
Pinsir (Swords Dance)

-Can plough through defensive teams with it's good offensive typing, coverage, high attack and moxie.
-Has Quick Attack for faster threats.
-Can set up against a lot of walls due to decent defence.

Offence (Special Sweeper / Revenge Killer)
Kabadra (Special Attacker)

-Great speed and special attack, can outpace and damage a lot of top tier threats.
-Almost Guaranteed to live a hit because of Magic Guard + Focus Sash.
-This allows it to deal with sweepers who boost their speed.
-Speedy encore is nice for Substitute users.

Manly Teams
Mantine

-Counters many dangerous special attackers.
-Great STABs.
-Using the Swift Swim set is the essence of manliness.
-Doesn't give a shit about the Remoraid on its wing.

Last edited:

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm surprised Camerupt isn't on the list for Trick Room. It's seriously amazing. With Specs it can do huge damage to teams with its two STABs of Eruption and Earth power (not to Mantine but it does have access to a special Rock move, iirc). Even with only Fire Blast it becomes a seriously powerful force, and while it doesn't have the best speed outside of TR, it can become a definite sweeper within. I mean it's cool outside of TR but if you want something to inflict huge damage on the opponents, then yeah Camerupt is the way to go (also you used Marowak why not Rupt??? :|)

Another cool sweeper is Gurdurr, since TR teams usually lack priority, so it fits in nicely there, and has enough power/bulk to hold its own when Trick Room isn't up.

I also think TR needs a revenge killer section, too... I mean it's not huge but when TR dies out you pretty much need something to take out the rest. On the main TR team I use, Electabuzz has taken on that role nicely. It has enough speed and power to severely outspeed and damage Jynx, and outspeed and kill Zard with Scarf. As well as that it can also hurt things like Mandibuzz that sit around making life difficult for TR teams (which pretty much hurt all the major TR setters in the tier).

Camerupt > TR Sweeper
Gurdurr > TR Sweeper

Also for Sun I think that Probopass is cool as a hazard setter as I've used it with Custap and it's cool because it can paralyse other things too, and has slow Volt Switch when setting up Sun. Another sweeper you should consider for the list is Shiftry. With a special or mixed set it can be a lot of fun to use, and is just a really cool Pokemon to consider due to the fact that it can also get priority, too. Oh, and for Sun Setters, Liepard should be considered I think simply because with Heat Rock and Prankster it can pretty much guarantee weather and can come back for more later on!

Probopass > Sun Hazard Setter
Probopass > Sun Setter
Shiftry > Sun Sweeper
Liepard > Sun Setter

That's about all of the top of my head, though.

I'd like to nominate CB Braviary for VoltTurn.

Braviary@Choice Band
Trait: Defiant
Adamant Nature
252Atk/4Def/252Spd
-Brave Bird
-Superpower
-Return
-U-Turn

CB Braviary acts as a remarkable wallbreaker, as has already been brought up, and can bring some good type synergy to voltturn teams. It's STABs hit ridiculously hard, and it can break through potential switch-in walls like 'Costa with Superpower. U-Turn fits by not being exceptionally powerful but being able to carry the momentum that is a trademark of the voltturn strategy, while still allowing Braviary to crush other threats that could, under other circumstances, wall a weaker team.

Kangaskhan for offensive revenge killer. Fake Out + Sucker Punch wrecks almost all frail scarfers before they even have a chance. Scrappy only adds to the list of Pokemon he can smite. Heck, he could even fit into a revenge killer in bulky offense if there was that category.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Imo there should be a section under stall for Win Conditions, since they're pretty much mandatory for a stall team to have. Initial list should probably include: CM Mush, Perish Song Missy, and CM Bronzor. Also BU Throh I guess, and you can probably add that into phazers too since it works really well with Wish and Heal Bell support and it can set up on a lot and phase things out.

Imo there should be a section under stall for Win Conditions, since they're pretty much mandatory for a stall team to have. Initial list should probably include: CM Mush, Perish Song Missy, and CM Bronzor. Also BU Throh I guess, and you can probably add that into phazers too since it works really well with Wish and Heal Bell support and it can set up on a lot and phase things out.
Dont forget dd marvel scale dragonair :c

I think klang is another great choice for a win condition on stall. With the support that stall teams provide, klang can easily set up and sweep through an opposing team. Toxic spikes stop Seismitoad and Alomomola from being annoying, and they become set up bait.

HAPPY DINO SWAG for fabulous
edit: nvm its already in manly good enough :toast:

Rotom mini-sprites
stop using regular Rotom one vOv

Also I think Drifblim's AcroBlimp set should be moved from offensive sweepers to Utility because that's pretty much what it is. I don't know that I've ever swept with AcroBlimp (though it's certainly possible). The role for AcroBlimp is more to disrupt and take out counters for partners. For example, I've paired Drifblim with Swellow before because they share very much the same counters, so you can either wear down opposing Rock/Steel-types with Drifblim's Will-O-Wisp or take them out completely with Destiny Bond, thus opening up a sweep for Swellow later on in the match.

Also add Eelektross under offense pivots. It's pretty fantastic because slow Volt Switch, decent bulk with no weaknesses, and a lot of immediate power. Specs and Leftovers are both good options for it, but I almost always use Leftovers to augment its bulk.

Also add Eelektross offense wallbreakers. Mixed Eel owns so many different mons and can even lure in and defeat opposing physical/special walls depending on what you need to kill.

It's probably worth adding Armaldo under offense Rapid Spinners. Obviously you're usually better off just running mons that aren't very hazard weak, but if Torkoal's going to be listed, might as well add Armaldo. Spin + Rocks is overhyped to hell and back, but it is a niche that makes Armaldo usable. Plus, offensive sets do hit really hard, which is nice. I'm probably going to add an offensive spin set to Armaldo's analysis because it's not THAT bad.

Bulky Offense needs pivot Gurdurr under pivots. It's just so good at coming in, taking a hit for the team, and dealing out pain until you can get a free switch into a teammate.

DD Altaria is a cool stall wincon that I talked up for a bit a while back. It has a really rare and good defensive typing for stall and offers Heal Bell support as well as a way of breaking the opponent's team. Don't really know how reliable of a win condition Bronzor is either. Even at +6 Special Attack, it's still really weak. For reference, +6 Bronzor hits 336 SpA, while Timid Gardevoir hits 349, Timid Jynx hits 329, and even Modest Heatmor hits 339 lol. Basically, you're relying on a Pokemon that is weaker than Scarf Gardevoir to sweep the opposing team AFTER six or more (pretty much always going to be more) turns have passed to set up and get to that point, except that Bronzor also has to rely on Toxic Spikes to get the job done. Not saying that Bronzor is unusable on stall because it does counter top threats thanks to its great defensive typing and good bulk, but uhhh, it doesn't really win games too often lol.

Also, Tangela is worth adding to physical walls under stall. Its defensive typing isn't the best, but its sheer fatass bulk is fantastic and shouldn't be completely ignored. Plus, Regenerator allows it to pretty much ignore hazards (barring Toxic Spikes which you should have a way of handling anyways).

dunno why the fuck VoltTurn doesn't have Swellow listed. Get on that shit.

Please get rid of Banette from Trick Room setters. It's horrible.

Also add CB Lickilicky for TR sweepers.

Actually just get rid of the Trick Room section like seriously full Trick Room is bad :|

You can add Scolipede to hazard setters for rain. Rain hates Toxic Spikes, which it absorbs, and it also hates bulky Grass-types, which Scolipede usually beats.

Cut Rain Dish Rapid Spin Wartortle from Spinners for rain. Has anyone ever anywhere in the history of NU ever used that to any modicum of success?

Also tack Custap Golem under sun setters. On my sun team, I use Custap Golem with Sunny Day>Explosion, and it owns.

Add Stunfisk to manly teams because it's so goddamn manly I can't even explain.

Also add Treecko under fabulous teams. Not much to say there.

Good stuff.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to what the difference between offence and hyper-offence (though the latter isn't listed) is.

Is a team that uses mostly wallbreakers and defensive pivots with no set up sweepers offence or hyper offence?

I feel embarrassed because I really should know the difference by now. :/

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm curious as to what the difference between offence and hyper-offence (though the latter isn't listed) is.

Is a team that uses mostly wallbreakers and defensive pivots with no set up sweepers offence or hyper offence?

I feel embarrassed because I really should know the difference by now. :/
It's perfectly fine you don't know the difference! If I'm not wrong hyper offense is a team full of offensive Pokemon that try not to lose momentum, and each breaking up something specific to achieve a sweep from one of its members. Meanwhile offensive teams are also teams full of offensive Pokemon but also have things that slow down the pace a little eg. Bulky pivots, stallbreakers, Choice Scarf users

Out of curiosity, doesn't Golurk classify as "spinblocker", due to it's viability in the metagame in unison with it's ghost typing?

I would like to nominate a few more pokemon:

Choice Band Kangaskhan
Role: Wallbreaker

• Fairly Bulky
  • Opens gaping holes for specially offensive teammates to come in and clean up
  • Unexpected due to sheer amount of Silk Scarf Kangaskhans
  • Hits very hard

All Out Attacking Muk (Touncher)
Role: Physical Sweeper

• Touncher is decently powerful
  • Bulky
  • Absorbs Toxic Spikes
  • Good Coverage
  • Ability gives it's main STAB 50%+ chance to poison opponents.

All Out Attacking Miltank (Moofensive)

• Again, unexpected and bulky
  • Very fast, hitting base 100 speed, allowing it to outspeed a large majority of the unboosted metagame
  • Hits relatively hard
  • Reliable Recovery
  • Punishment allows you to turn the tables against CM Duosion and Musharna, very common bulky set-up threats.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Offense:

Physical Sweepers:

(SubSalac)
  • Can set up Sub+SD, and Salac berry+Swarm make it a monster
  • Speed and power are great
  • Two move coverage is excellent
  • Overall very potent physical sweeper

Bulky Offense:

Hazard Setters:

(Spikes)
  • Vomit-inducingly ugly
  • Good bulk and great defensive typing make it a good bulky spiker
  • Reliably sets up Spikes and Toxic Spikes while checking threats like Scolipede and Primeape
  • Speed is not shabby
  • Overall good choice for a Spiker if Scolipede or Roselia aren't your cup of tea

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
Sorry for taking so long, this is finally updated!

Out of curiosity, doesn't Golurk classify as "spinblocker", due to it's viability in the metagame in unison with it's ghost typing?

I would like to nominate a few more pokemon:
Choice Band Kangaskhan
Role: Wallbreaker

• Fairly Bulky
  • Opens gaping holes for specially offensive teammates to come in and clean up
  • Unexpected due to sheer amount of Silk Scarf Kangaskhans
  • Hits very hard

All Out Attacking Muk (Touncher)

• Touncher is decently powerful
  • Bulky
  • Absorbs Toxic Spikes
  • Good Coverage
  • Ability gives it's main STAB 50%+ chance to poison opponents.

All Out Attacking Miltank (Moofensive)

• Again, unexpected and bulky
  • Very fast, hitting base 100 speed, allowing it to outspeed a large majority of the unboosted metagame
  • Hits relatively hard
  • Reliable Recovery
  • Punishment allows you to turn the tables against CM Duosion and Musharna, very common bulky set-up threats.
While I 100% with the Muk nomination (Touncher is so good), I am not totally sure with both Choice Band Kangaskhan and Offensive Miltank. Don't get me wrong, Kangaskhan is strong with a Choice Band, but not strong enough to hurt walls unlike Beheeyem, Sawk, and Samurott. As for Offensive Miltank, well it needs the Sap Sipper boost to become scary, and even then it's still too weak to hurt stuff. I might add them if someone gives me more good reasons to add them though, but for the moment it won't happen.

Keep going guys!

I see that the only Klang set currently recorded is Mono-Attacking Resttalk Klang. While its a very good pokemon, I would like to nominate Offensive Klang. After creating a team recently using it, I have begun to be more interested in it's uses. It fills a completely different role than Mono-Attacking Klang, and becomes a much more potent threat, much more quickly. For example, Charizard is a common switch in to Mono-Attacking Klang, but after a single Shift Gear, Offensive Klang can outspeed and OHKO Non-Scarf Charizard with Wild Charge. It also has a much easier time combating things like Tangela and Alomomola, as it can avoid Leech Seed and Burns from behind it's sub and continue to set up. This sudden increase in power as well as speed makes it that much more of a threat, and while it does not last as long, it becomes a more potent sweeper than most pokemon in NU. So far through using it on the ladder and in matches with friends, I can state that this is an extremely powerful sweeper after getting set up, and has the potential to reach extremely high levels of set-up due to its usage of substitute.

Pokemon: Offensive Klang
Nomination: Bulky Offense / Offense

Klang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 168 Spd / 252 Atk / 88 HP
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge
- Substitute

I also noticed that not a single Gardevoir has been recommended yet. That's insane. Gardevoir is easily one of the most versatile and useful pokemon in NU, with blisteringly high special attack and a respectable amount of speed and bulk. It is a potent threat, and can act as a Wallbreaker, Pseudo-Sweeper, and Utility mon. However, today I will be recommending the All-Out Attacker Gardevoir set. This set utilizes Gardevoir's true power, and helps break giant holes in opposing teams for pokemon such as Scarf Primeape, Rain Dance Ludicolo, and Swellow to come sweep. It also makes for an extremely good check to many common threats in the tier, especially rain and sun, by utilizing its ability Trace to its full potential. By doing so, it can eliminate the threat that Swift Swim and Chlorophyll bring to the table, helping your team kill threats that normally run through the rest of your team. Overall, Gardevoir is an amazingly good pokemon as a Physical Wallbreaker, and helps to make other pokemon on your team shine, giving it a well-deserved spot on almost any team.

Pokemon: All-Out Attacker Gardevoir
Nomination: Offense / Balance
Role: Wallbreaker / Special Sweeper

Gardevoir @ Life Orb
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt / Focus Blast
- Signal Beam
- Destiny Bond

I'd like to nominate Grumpig for Stall under special walls.

- Thick Fat helps sponge Fire and Ice attacks. Grumpig pairs well with another good stall mon in Roselia thanks to this.
- Access to phazing in Whirlwind which other stall oriented psychics like Musharna, Bronzor, Eggy and Metang lack.
- Access to Heal Bell. Obviously a cleric is extremely useful on stall, healing away Toxics off of Alomomola and Tangela is crucial.
- Speed isn't too bad(can creep in a Toxic on several slower, bulkier mons.)

Sorry for the bump, but I was looking through my NU teams today, and I came across one that I made around Bulky Dragon Dance Shelgon. I would like to nominate it as a Win Condition for Stall, due to it's amazing Physical Bulk allowing it to set up against the majority of physical attackers in the tier. On top of that, it is supported by most Stall teams, as it appreciates Wish passes when incapable of getting it's rest off, Heal Bells to rid it of sleep if forced out by Jynx or something, and Spikes/Rocks which Stall especially enjoys packing!

Pokemon: Bulky Dragon Dance Shelgon
Nomination: Stall, Bulky Offense
Role: Win Condition, Physical Sweeper, Physical Wall

Shelgon @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 236 Def / 248 HP / 24 Atk
Impish Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Another pokemon I would like to nominate is Choice Scarf Electabuzz. It is simply a good revenge killer. With a solid pure electric typing, it gets STAB Volt Switch, helping it gain momentum for its team. On top of that, it has a 105 Base Speed, allowing it to outpace the two most commong Choice Scarfers, Primeape and Jynx who sit at 95. It also isn't as stealth rock weak as Rotom-S/F, making it oftentimes more stable in switching in and out of combat to revenge kill (although spikes are an issue). It also has pretty solid coverage in HP Ice and Focus Blast, giving it abusable BoltBeam coverage. And if that's not enough, it's ability in Vital Spirit lets it switch into Butterfree, Jumpluff, Jynx, etc. to revenge kill or deal hefty damage.

Pokemon: Choice Scarf Electabuzz
Nomination: Offense, Balance, Voltturn
Role: Revenge Killer

Comcast (Electabuzz) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:
*bump*
[..]
Nominating Zebstrika for Volt switcher!
[..]
I think could be useful in a rain team, also to a decent opposititon to Jynx. A example set:

Zebstrika@Life Orb
Ability: Lightningrod/Sap Sipper
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sleep Talk

I think could be useful in a rain team, also to a decent opposititon to Jynx. A example set:

Zebstrika@Life Orb
Ability: Lightningrod/Sap Sipper
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sleep Talk
Won't overheat be hindered by the rain? I mean no doubt it'll still wreck a jynx or pop her cap, but if you are going to use it as a dedicated jynx counter I wouldn't suggest running HP Grass at all, for fear of Sleep talk drawing it. I also do not know how effective Overheat is in rain on jynx if somebody wants to calc it im just lazy lol.

Won't overheat be hindered by the rain? I mean no doubt it'll still wreck a jynx or pop her cap, but if you are going to use it as a dedicated jynx counter I wouldn't suggest running HP Grass at all, for fear of Sleep talk drawing it. I also do not know how effective Overheat is in rain on jynx if somebody wants to calc it im just lazy lol.
Oh, in rain it's more dangerous Thunder

252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunder vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jynx: 192-227 (70.84 - 83.76%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Overheat is useful only when it isn't raining.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Zebstrika is that good an asset for rain teams such that it should be featured. Pokemon like Rotom-S are featured because they 1) set up rain and 2) threaten common threats to rain teams, including Mantine, Roselia, and Ludicolo. Meanwhile Zebstrika doesn't really do much apart from abuse a fully accurate Thunder and be fast, but it's not really enough of a selling point for it imo to be featured there.

quick question why are machoke, throh, and sawk not in manly?

and perhaps kingler i meant just look at my profile pic and tell me thats not manly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)