Project NU Player of the Month - lax (June)

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS

lax
Favorite Pokémon:
Mega Abomasnow (copy righting mo bama)
Most used Pokémon: Passimian
Most known for: Being the tie-breaker goat​

Yoshi: Hi lax, how are you today!
Lax: Hey I'm doing pretty well, how are you?
Yoshi: I'm doing great, thanks for asking.

Yoshi: Now before I get into the boring questions, I'd like to ask what everyone wants to know: where did the name "lax" come from?
Lax: Oh it's actually really dumb, in 2013 I watched this awful anime called Fairy Tail and there was a badass character named Laxus in it. Around 2014, one of my old ps friends called me Laxuy and that's the name I stuck with until I wanted to shorten it (as most edgy teens wanted old names back in the day) and got the lax account.
Yoshi: I'd like to think Fairy Tail is a good anime. Cool story though!

Yoshi: Besides Pokemon, I'm sure you have some sort of thing going on in the real world. What have you been up to?
Lax:

Yoshi:
With the recent Vileplume test resulting in Vileplume getting banned from NU (on which you voted "ban" yourself), what are your thoughts on the current meta? Is there anything problematic / broken / unhealthy that you think the council should look into?
Lax: Yeah I'm really glad I led the ban Vileplume movement, it was definitely the most frustrating mon to prep for in NU before. The current meta hasn't developed too much, but I think regardless of where it goes to, anything is better than the gridlock that is the Vileplume meta. Right now, I think incineroar has been super dominant for a long time due to its offensive and defensive capabilities, but I don't think it's currently broken. Passimian might be kinda dumb because you can't fish versus it to prevent momentum so you actually have to outplay it. Overall though, nothing seems broken at the moment.
Yoshi: Don't forget the time you (and debatably I) led the Vanilluxe movement either!

Yoshi: As generation 8 is right around the corner, what are some things that you think need to be changed in terms of policies and systems (such as the current suspect test system) to make Sword and Shield a better competitive experience?
Lax: In terms of structure, not much can be done except making the reqs harder to get, like if a player just hits 84 GXE at anytime, they should qualify. In terms of playerbase, people just have to be more vocal and provide substantial evidence to support a movement. If no one spoke up, Vileplume and Vanilluxe would have never been banned. It's harder to actually convince people to care about the tier, but there are definitely a solid amount that can preach change and things like that.

Yoshi: Since NUPL is coming to a close, you collectively played quite a few tiers this year if I can recall correctly. You for sure played some SM, but you also dabbled in some GSC as well. What was the most fun meta for you to play / build for this NUPL?
Lax: I actually only meant to play GSC NU versus elodin for fun but forgot to submit my lineup and ended up playing it again [the next week] lmao. That being said, building for GSC NU was actually a lot more fun than building for SM (re: the aforementioned Vileplume meta) and my team and I came up with some really awful shit like various forms of Baton Pass and mons that we didn't end up using unfortunately. While it was not fun, I would not add GSC NU to NUPL next year.

Yoshi: Finally, could you share one of your favorite NU teams (from any generation) and provide a brief description?
Lax:
Yeah! This is the team I used vs Teddeh in week 1 of SPL that I later revamped to keep up with the meta. The team is a pretty straightforward offense that is riddled with random techs. The original team had automize Vanilluxe > Abomasnow and I took a team Pearl used in his Grand Slam run and changed up the sets so they wouldn't be too predictable or obvious and added some mons. The goal of the team is to pressure with Jynx by forcing a free sleep and breaking with its surprisingly large coverage pool, Focus Blast meant mostly for Incineroar. Then, depending on how the rest of the game goes, you should apply pressure with the appropriate breakers. Everything about this team is meant to fuck Incineroar in order to enable the other mons. ex: Focus Blast or sleep onto Incineroar from Jynx, Colbur Berry +2 Power Gem from Mismagius, Earthquake from Swords Dance Mo Bama and all the hazard stack on the team. Mega Abomasnow is meant to be one of the last mons to come in and attempt to sweep and Kabutops is for hazard control and can also sweep if a Passimian foolishly attacks you without thinking. Rhydon and Accelgor are potent hazard setters and usually everything on this team just falls into place.

Thanks for the interview lax! If you guys have any extra questions for lax, feel free to drop them in this thread! Also, if there is anyone you would like in particular to be interviewed for next month, feel free to shoot me a PM. Thanks guys :toast:!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)