[NPN] ashley's npn blog

day 12
did not get the essay finished, although i did get a good chunk done. have to finish it tomorrow. would have just kept going tonight but i'm too sleepy - maybe staying up until 4am watching todd play pokemon was a poor play? surely not...

incidentally, for anyone wanting to procrastinate an essay, a method i have been developing heavily today is calculating every possible number involved (e.g. what percentage of the word count can be taken up by a discussion of the prioress's tale (it's going to be p much exactly 1/3 (excluding intro & conclusion), incidentally)).

did not go outside at all today. i have begun to forget what grass even looks like, let alone feels like to the touch...
contrary to you I did get an essay done yesterday:swole:

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
addendum to addendum to entry: "day 13"
thinking about how pathetic i am. in zoomer parlance, one might say: "proper grown-ups with jobs etc. reading my struggleposts about having to do comparatively minimal uni work: :eye: :lips: :eye:" (if u put this into discord it will work properly)

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
day 12
did not get the essay finished, although i did get a good chunk done. have to finish it tomorrow. would have just kept going tonight but i'm too sleepy - maybe staying up until 4am watching todd play pokemon was a poor play? surely not...

incidentally, for anyone wanting to procrastinate an essay, a method i have been developing heavily today is calculating every possible number involved (e.g. what percentage of the word count can be taken up by a discussion of the prioress's tale (it's going to be p much exactly 1/3 (excluding intro & conclusion), incidentally)).

did not go outside at all today. i have begun to forget what grass even looks like, let alone feels like to the touch...
that method is why i dont do anything but the loosest of outlines for my stuff. idgaf if i'm 120 words over my estimate for the exposition of the adventure, im just gonna finish detailing how the boss kills all the players' characters THEN trim down or fluff as needed. if i hyperfixate on how much goes where, itll never get done

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
that method is why i dont do anything but the loosest of outlines for my stuff. idgaf if i'm 120 words over my estimate for the exposition of the adventure, im just gonna finish detailing how the boss kills all the players' characters THEN trim down or fluff as needed. if i hyperfixate on how much goes where, itll never get done
o dw it serves no practical purpose and i do not stick to it in any capacity! it's just better [citation needed] than writing the actual essay

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
day 14
exciting news, everyone! for possibly the first time all semester (mandatory icebreakers disregarded (translation: memoryholed)), i contributed to a class today! i said literally one word. :D (for those curious, it was "judas?")

anyway after that i wandered around until a bus came along and i got on it and at some point along the way i turned into the joker. ig that's what living in a society will do to you.

in other exciting news, i tried tesco's "yule hog wrap" today. i can't decide if the pun's a genius work of comic or utter dogshit - much like much of my own content, to be fair. the wrap was alright but they could have been a bit less stingy with the apple sauce, i felt.

also, i finished taskmaster series 4. going forward, i shall be sad to not be seeing hugh dennis on my screen doing silly tasks, but also i'm pretty sure the cast of the next series is insanely stacked so i am looking forward to that.

tomorrow will mark the halfway mark of this project and i already know i will forget so i am acknowledging it here.

proud of you Ashley

and at some point along the way i turned into the joker. ig that's what living in a society will do to you.
this is completely irrelevant (I think you’ll chuckle though, similar to the joker, bam connection made) but my friend got yelled at by my professor today for saying “hand that over buck-a-roo”directly to his face

man, what a society

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
also, i finished taskmaster series 4. going forward, i shall be sad to not be seeing hugh dennis on my screen doing silly tasks, but also i'm pretty sure the cast of the next series is insanely stacked so i am looking forward to that.
any time Noel Fielding isn’t on my telly (thats british innit) i shrink toward depression

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
day 16
smogoff, the time may have come for me to tell you about a game i like to play. it's called How Many White People With Dreadlocks Can You Spot In Edinburgh Today? it's a fun little game with a fairly self-explanatory ruleset; in the past i've racked up some impressive combos. anyway, today i got on the bus and spent much of the journey on edge - there was a slightly greasy white man with dreadlocks a few rows in front of me, but we were just outwith the city limits. i was petrified - was i about to see this ripe scoring opportunity slip through my fingers?.........

[stage directions: pause to increase dramatic tension]

.........no. thankfully, he stayed on the bus until after i'd got off, soundly ensuring that i would get the first (and, indeed, only) point of the day.

it's all about the little victories.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
day 17
well, i forgot to update my smogoff blog on this date. i suppose that's a significant occurrence. actually, i didn't totally forget - i remembered as i lay in bed talking to smogon user: dave, but i wasn't getting out of bed for it. please accept my humble apologies etc. etc..

otherwise, not much happened. i had an excruciating uni workshop wherein we looked at passages of literary criticism and then sat in awkward silence for a couple of hours. and on the way home from that i saw a guy i know on the bus performing the gnarliest, most impressive manspread i have ever seen. we're talking 180 degrees, folks. unreal.

pure pishing it down with rain all day. miserable. i think i shall move to the sahara or similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
day 18
had a three-hour nap this afternoon! it was sick as fuck ngl. after the week i've had (terrible awful no good. think i may be on the edge of a breakdown /hj) i deserved it, tbh! had a slightly strange dream whose disparate elements included paddington bear, the football world cup, and former prime minister david cameron, but that couldn't detract from the magic of the act. life really is about the small moments. and the far-too-long naps. bit of both innit.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
day 19
listened to bettany hughes on rhlstp today and spent much of the runtime thinking about bettany hughes and feeling flustered. i find this sort of thing a good distraction from life's woes - difficult to go into crisis mode when you're otherwise occupied with nursing a semi!

did find myself pondering the future at various points, however, which is not something i would recommend for the general reader - unless, of course, the general reader wishes to go insane and turn into the joker!

on another note, i was outside briefly today and it was good to get some fresh air and touch some grass. perhaps i should do so more often? hmm. maybe not.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
addendum to day 19
ok i've just started watching series 5 of taskmaster and my god sally phillips could do whatever she wanted to me. jesus christ. holy moses

(starting to spot a theme emerging in many of these blog entries.........)

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
day 20
how have we already reached double digits? wild.

today i helped me da with some diy pish he was doing - by which i mean i was mainly lounging around while he crawled about under the floorboards. it's not an easy life, but someone has to do it! i think i really earned my large bowl of soup for lunch. also holy shit can we talk about soup? not to be a freak but i think it is one of humanity's greatest inventions - up there with oven chips and nintendo emulators. unreal. it was a proper soup day, too - all rainy etc.. LOVE it. i may yet make a soup thread in smogoff (and then dave will presumably throw it into cong). preview: my favourite is lentil.

other headlines: the martian was on film4 and water is wet. seriously, does matt damon have ian film4 bound to some demonic contract or something? it's literally always on. that or the green mile (a comparative rarity these days, tbf) or deadpool 2 (never the first one...). can't really complain, though - i like it a lot, even if i could probably quote large chunks of it by heart. there's a prozd vid or two where he does that with peter pan which is pretty funny.

also on telly tonight: the handmaid's tale. i've never yet got round to watching the telly version (although i read the book for nat 5 english many years ago & thought it was class) (and read the sequel whenever it came out and thought it was pretty good but a bit too conclusive compared to the original, in which the hopeless, ambiguous ending was the point) so i had no idea what was going on. my main reaction was "christ, are they still making that?", which i can't imagine was the creators' intended review.

all of this meant i didn't have time to watch any taskmaster. sad!

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
day 22
started off the day by not doing any work at all towards any of the many essays whose deadlines are now drawing startlingly near. instead i mostly looked at pictures of cool tattoos on the internet. this may seem like a poor strategic decision, but in actuality i am playing the long game...

eventually, the time came to bus in for the day's tutorial. i did so. don't worry, this story gets marginally more interesting. upon arriving at one of the uni's many facilities (iirc it's the biggest property owner in the city? or possibly second after the church. i'm not factchecking this), i popped into the toilet for a piss (a gender neutral loo - always a nerve-racking experience for largely irrational reasons) before heading up to the seminar room. the hallway outside is usually filled with a few classmates discussing the week's films in the standard edinburgh uni accent, but there was no sign of any such congregation today. okay, fair enough, i'm cutting it fine (it was a long piss, ok?), they'll be sat down inside by now. except, hang on, the seminar room's empty too. how str- oh bloody hell it's 4pm the thing's finished. oops. i'd mistimed spectacularly, arriving over an hour late (on reflection, quite glad my piss took so long, otherwise i might have ended up blundering in to a very-nearly-finished tutorial - i genuinely shudder at the thought); i had, essentially, bussed all the way into town for an unenjoyable urination session.

on the way home, as i sat on the bus, squeezed between passengers of various origins, i had two thoughts. the first was "for fuck's sake ashley you are a silly fanny"; the second, "well, at least i'll have something for today's blog entry..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)