Metagame NP: ZU Stage 13 - I Am Machine - #19 Glastrier quickbanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
200.gif

Happy Halloween, ZU!
The ZU chatroom celebrated halloween by hosting a room tournament with ONLY Ghost-types in ZU. The results were ... interesting.

The metagame was extremely chaotic, with entire matches revolving around who could best utilize these two Pokemon. If there were a viability ranking, these two mons would be S by far:

:ss/spiritomb::ss/sableye:
Spiritomb and Sableye shaped the meta. These two half-Dark-types would obviously have a big impact, being the closest thing to a Shadow Ball and Poltergeist switch-in. On top of that, though, they have pretty insane versatility. Spiritomb's bulk and power lets it run potentially game-ending Calm Mind sets, as well as nearly unwallable Choice Band sets. For me, I used SpDef Calm Mind to have a designated special wall on my team. Sableye has endless utility, and while it can be matchup-dependent, it has a tool for everything. Calm Mind sets were popular in the tournament, but it can also run its standard PhysDef set. I ran Toxic + Taunt to make it one of the few stallbreakers in this meta.

In this battle, CB Spiritomb essentially ran circles around the opposing teams. And in this battle, I was unable to break though Calm Mind Sableye, forcing me to dance around an inevitable loss.

:ss/froslass::ss/rotom:
Rotom and Froslass were the two other dominant mons. Although neither of them have the bulk to come in on attacks, they both have a lot of utility and great breaking power.

My first battle was unfortunately lost in the sauce, so I don't have a replay, but in the battle it became instantly clear that Specs Rotom has almost zero switchins. Even in my loss, Specs Rotom still had a scary presence.

:ss/gourgeist:
The Gourgeist formes were additionally used often, although their impact varied. Having Shadow Sneak made the Gourgeist formes premier revenge killers, and Poltergeist and Power Whip also hit super hard. Their low special defense meant that they actually got threatened out by quite a few things, and their gameplan was more linear than the extreme versatility of the four top-tiers.

Good Halloween ZU teams basically are constructed like this: Spiritomb, Sableye, Rotom, Froslass, a Gourgeist forme, and then some other Ghost-type.

S Tier
:sableye: Sableye
:spiritomb: Spiritomb

S- Tier
:froslass: Froslass
:rotom: Rotom

A Tier
:gourgeist: Gourgeist-Small
:gourgeist: Gourgeist-Super

B Tier
:cofagrigus: Cofagrigus
:drifblim: Drifblim
:gastly: Gastly

C Tier
:corsola-galar: Corsola-Galar
:palossand: Palossand

Secret Top Tier?
:drakloak: Drakloak

Nevertheless, it was a lot of fun messing around with this metagame! Special thanks to Apagogie for setting up the tour and coming up with different ideas :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)