Metagame NP: ZU Stage 10 - Fish Out of Water - Basculin quickbanned #15

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion

Arctovish has one huge claim to fame: Fishious Rend. This single attack makes it a devastating wallbreaker, and even with Slush Rush banned, Arctovish can still get the damage boost on multiple slower walls and versus switch-ins. With Arctovish only recently unbanned, the ZU metagame was not necessarily ready for such a powerful wallbreaker to return. A majority of the council––Tuthur, Drud, Jett, and myself––voted for a suspect test, while only a minority––czim and kay––voted against.

It's most certainly the lack of switch-ins to Fishious Rend that makes Arctovish as good as it is, and it even has tools to work around what could absorb the attack. For starters, a good chunk of the defensive metagame is slower and vulnerable to Arctovish, so once it's in, there's a shining opportunity to spam Fishious Rend. Special walls and Ground-types like Clefairy, Rhydon, and Stunfisk are some of the most vulnerable to this attack. Checking Arctovish isn't as simple as switching into a bulky Water-resistant wall either given Fishious Rend can still do loads of damage to walls like Eldegoss, and Arctovish of course uses STAB Ice-type attacks like Icicle Crash and Freeze-Dry to deal with others like Altaria, Poliwrath, Qwilfish, and Tangela. Even opposing Ice-types like Jynx and the mirror ought to fear Stone Edge, and there's a bit of variability within sets that can make it tough to deal with, too. If you assume it's Choice Band and locked into Fishious Rend, you could lose your Grass-type if you stay in and catch an Icicle Crash. The broken aspects of Arctovish all stem from Fishious Rend being an overwhelmingly powerful weapon in its arsenal with good compliments to limit switch-ins and snag KOes.

As many switch-ins Arctovish may limit, it still is awfully limited itself when it comes to getting on the field. In no way shape or form will a mid-speed Water / Ice type be difficult to deal with offensively. Top tier threats like Rotom, Sawk, Thwackey, and Gurdurr all revenge kill Arctovish without a problem. Arctovish is also heavily item dependent: it will need Heavy-Duty Boots to counteract its Stealth Rock weakness, Choice Band to get the most out of Fishious Rend, or an item like Life Orb to boost coverage like Freeze-Dry. These limitations means there may only be a few turns out on the field for Arctovish to wallbreak, and wallbreaking itself may end up very circumstantial depending on the matchup; clicking Fishious Rend when Poliwrath / Jynx switches in would ruin any and all momentum. Scouting and playing around Arctovish is a valid way to deal with it, as while Tangela and Appletun may fear Ice-type attacks, they can at least tank a Fishious Rend if necessary. Wishiwashi is bulky enough to switch into Arctovish and pivot out, and some walls like Miltank are fast enough to avoid the Fishious Rend boost while they're already in. You need a fair degree of positioning when using Arctovish and, even then, its wallbreaking potential is by no means guaranteed.

• ***THIS IS NEW TO GEN 8 SUSPECTS*** Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test. The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 77 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 77 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 81. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 77 GXE will suffice.
GXEminimum games

• You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be ZUVA. For example, I might signup with the ladder account ZUVA Ho3n.
  • Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitance when making the alt, just pick another name. There are infinite possibilities and we have had trouble for this repeatedly. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here. We will not be lenient.
  • The aspect being tested, Arctovish, will be allowed on the ladder.
  • Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
  • Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
  • Unlike previous tests, we will be posting the voting identification thread immediately after this thread. Please avoid getting more games before getting confirmed.
  • The suspect test will go on for about 14 days, lasting until February 25th at 11:59 PM GMT -5, and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.

This thread will be open to allow all users to share their thoughts on this suspect test and discuss with one another their thoughts. Should you have any questions about the suspect test, feel free to message me or anyone else on the ZU council. Keep in mind that our suspect tests are decided by the community; anyone who achieves voting requisites is allowed to vote. The outcome is up to you. Happy posting and laddering!

Avoid posting one-liners or posts that do not contribute to any discussion. They will be deleted.

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I just got reqs today and I wanted to share my thoughts on Arctovish.
:ss/arctovish:
In my opinion, Arctovish is unhealthy. Choice Band Fishious Rend deals insane damage, common Water-checks like Specially Defensive Wishiwashi and Eldegoss are 2HKOed by Fishious Rend, Choice Band Thwackey even gets OHKOed by it. The only viable Pokemon that can comfortably switch into it are Tangela, Appletun, Gourgeist formes, Eviolite Thwackey, Qwilfish, Pyukumuku, Cramorant, and Poliwrath; you usually have one of these Pokemon in every team. However, Grass-types, outside Tangela, are heavily threatened by Icicle Crash, since they are OHKOed by it. The Water-types, but Poliwrath, on the other hand, are setup fodder for Substitute variants which can easily 2HKO them with Freeze-Dry. The only Pokemon that handle Arctovish's two main sets are, as far as I know, Porygon, Avalugg, and Lapras, which all are garbage. This makes scouting for Arctovish too hard in my opinion, the opposing player having to guess what the set is and to make the right predict to not lose a Pokemon. Both sets are very restricting and they share close to no common counters, thus I think Arctovish should be banned from ZU.

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm still on the fence about what I should be voting on :Arctovish:.
In theory I agree with everything Tuthur said, but from my POV and experience Choice Band is not nearly as effective as it firstly seems. While a 170BP STAB attack does sound incredible when paired with a boosting item, the tier has its fair water resists that can take the hit from Choice Band like Tangela, Qwilfish and Wishiwashi. The real threat in my eyes lays in non-choiced AoA or Sub + 3 attack sets, capitalizing on Arctovish forcing switches, which use a combination of Fishious Rend, Freeze Dry, Icicle Crash, Stone Edge (mainly for the mirror matchup), Rock Tomb, Psychic Fangs and some others a bit more situational. Being able to switch up moves improves a lot of 'would be annoying' matchups, most notably versus Tangela and Qwilfish (targeting their weaker special defense with Freeze-Dry). These two moves makes it really hard to safely pivot around Arctovish as neither even OHKO it in return.
Arctovish is amazing at destroying slow/fat teams but on the contrary it has trouble dealing with faster/offensive teams as its typing leaves it vulnerable to (potentially) hazards and a lot of common coverage moves like Fighting and Rock and without a boosting item to its damage or being faster than the opponent its damage output is rather weak. A 85BP STAB from a 90 base attack isn't all that impressive unless it is super effective. I have been using Choice Scarf (it isn't really meant to be speed control, view it as a 'boosting item' because you get the 170BP move vs some pokemon you normally wouldn't) to somewhat make up for that and it is really nice at beating down offensive foes but then you're left with being walled by the pokemon you would do amazing into when you could either switch up moves or do immense damage to by running Choice Band.

Overall I'm leaning towards a ban because it has the tools to easily dismantle a lot of common cores and forces specific builds and pokemon to be used. Being able to be an incredible offense killer with surprise-factor just adds onto that.
I haven't tried other builds like Trick Room or Sticky Web yet, but I could imagine that with Arctovish being so potent you would get always at least decent success with it.

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I am truly sorry to double post here but my post above is irrelevant now anyway.

I want to touch on a topic that has been part of the ZU tier longer than I am and that is :Silvally: and its different formes. I'm a huge fan of Silvally as a pokemon and its uniqueness is what drives me to make this post.
In this post I want to look at what makes Silvally unique, what types and sets for each types are currently good/usable, name 3 in my opinion underexplored moves/move combinations on Silvally and why you should be running a Silvally form on almost any team. Now lets dive in:

General overview and what makes it good:
I know most people who will read this are already familiar with Silvally, but for those who aren't I want to give a short overview.
Silvally has a BST of 570 with 95 in each stat. That alone gives it really solid stats for the low power level of ZU and is also one of the reasons why Silvally can easily be used both offensively - physical, special and mixed - or defensively; Additionally Silvally sets the benchmark of what is considered 'fast' in the tier since everything that is able to outspeed Silvally is so. Another reason for Silvally's big variety of viable sets is its movepool; It ranges from scary coverage like Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Surf, Rock Slide, and many more over pivot/utility options like U-turn, Parting Shot, Defog, Thunder Wave and Toxic to scary boosting options like Swords Dance, Flame Charge and Work Up. The last reason for its big diversity is the most obvious one and that being the fact that you can, technically, run any type on Silvally and your opponent doesn't know with certainty which one you are running unless you reveal it by sending it into battle. Of course there are some exceptions in Silvally forms that aren't accessable in the ZU tier which are Silvally-Dragon, -Fairy, -Ghost, -Ground and -Steel, but besides of these you can pick what ever you want - to more or less success.
Now that we know what defines Silvally and its different roles, lets go over the sets and what they run.

Sets and description for the typings that are worth using:
Disclaimer, some of these will include my personal opinion, for a general reflectation of the metagame I encourage you to check out (and post in the) the Viablity Ranking. I will also not order them by viability but alphabetically.

:Silvally:
Dark

Silvally-Dark @ Dark Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- U-turn / X-Scissor
- Psychic Fangs / Iron Head
The first one to talk about is Silvally-Dark. I'm not wrong by saying you can't go wrong with using this. Dark is an incredibly potent offensive typing in the current state of ZU and you also get to see why Silvally and its coverage is so threatening. The coverage of U-turn/X-Scissor + Psychic Fangs/Iron Head allows it to hit other Dark types, bulky Fighting types and Fairy types, depend on what you settle with to use. Having access to so many coverage options comes with the drawback of looking like you have 4MSS when really you are the one who can pick what you get checked by and what not. U-turn also sygergizes really well with the gerneral nature of the tier being really pivot heavy and it pairs really well with hazard setter like Qwilfish and Stunfisk(-Galar).

Electric

Silvally-Electric @ Electric Memory
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Work Up
- Multi-Attack
- Surf / Terrain Pulse (only with Thwackey)
- Flamethrower / Ice Beam
Silvally-Electric is an interesting case. While mostly outclassed by Rotom as it is more consistent and offers better defensive utility, Silvally-Electric has access to better coverage, allowing it to be a better wallbreaker to support its teammates that struggle with Ground types like Rhydon. A good part of it is also the fact that you will never know for sure what type of coverage Silvally uses unless you see it being used, so your opponent will always be careful with its checks. Terrain Pulse is a tech I personally haven't seen anyone use besides me, but I don't claim to be a creator. A 130BP Grass moves complements Multi-Attack really well, and Grassy Terrain weakens Earth Quak from Rhydon, making Thwackey + Silvally-Electric a niche but effective pairing.

Fighting

Silvally-Fighting @ Fighting Memory
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
I have heard mixed opinions of this pokemon from the community; from it is incredible in the metagame to it is just a gimmick/niche pick. I, personally, believe that Silvally-Fighting is really solid, mainly because I think being a Fighting type that can pivot is really valuable. Its main competition is Sawk as it is the best offensive Fighting type in the tier right now as both act as fast offensive Fighting types. As said before, U-turn is what gives it a niche over a potential Sawk on your team. Differences in the movepool are obviously there as well, but I don't think they matter as much as the pivot argument - worth noting is Silvally's lack of Knock Off which is indeed a broken move in this gen. Coverage for Flying types/Qwilfish is pretty self-explanatory.

Flying

Silvally-Flying @ Flying Memory
EVs: 172 Atk / 84 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Swords Dance / Work Up
- Flame Charge / Flamethrower
- Surf
Silvally Water (Silvally-Flying) @ Flying Memory
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Swords Dance
- Reversal
- Substitute
Meme set that really isn't good unless you have surprise on your side. But watch me hax Toto with it! :>
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1537173121-vcbhvrthibrbtn1agz48fyv556gvc1spw
The people who know me will know that I love Silvally-Flying and it is probably my favorite form to use currently. Silvally-Flying abuses the fact that we don't have a lot of sturdy Flying-resists that can take on two strong Flying types, I personally run Choice Band Unfezant with it, which lets you bypass walls like Stunfisk. Surf is as mandatory as Multi-Attack, hitting both Rhydon and Coalossal for big damage, which are two really annoying walls you would otherwise struggle to break down. SD + Charge is the common strategy to use your Silvally as a sweeper lategame, preferably a type that can also use Flame Charge to hit potential checks for super effective damage but that's not needed.

Poison

Silvally-Poison @ Poison Memory
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive / Hasty Nature
- Work Up
- Multi-Attack
- Flamethrower
- Surf

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive / Hasty Nature
- Defog
- U-turn / Parting Shot
- Multi-Attack
- Surf

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- U-turn
- Flame Charge
Work Up Silvally-Poison is the upper bar of how to be a mixed wallbreaker, incredible coverage and a strong STAB typing with key defensive value makes it one of the best Silvally formes we have access to. You can pick between Naive & Hasty, depending on your team and what type of pokemon you want to abuse for a set up. But the defensive value a pure Poison typing brings isn't only good as a wallbreaker. Silvally-Poison is also an excellent defensive pivot that has an immunity to Toxic, making it valuable for many bulky offense teams. Defog is a fine option but is not really consistent, especially in the Stunfisk matchups. SD + Charge falls under the same as every Silvally running this combination.

:SIlvally:
Psychic

Silvally-Psychic @ Psychic Memory
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- U-turn / X-Scissor
Hi OranBerryBlissey10 :>
Similar to Silvally-Flying, Silvally-Psychic abuses the fact that we don't have many reliable answers to Psychic types and also abuses Spikes very effectively as U-turn acts both as coverage for Dark types and other Psychic types and also chipps down other physical walls like Tangela while maintaining momentum. Silvally-Psychic has quite the competition, mainly in Jynx, Uxie and Rapidash-Galar, making it tough to slap on a team. A problem many of the less viable Silvally forms have is that picking it over a potential other Silvally can be difficult so you would usually start building around them. Stil worth a try!

Of course you can make a case for even more Silvally forms but for me most other are generally outclassed by just better pokemon. A good example is Silvally-Fire and Rapidash/Ninetales.

Underrated moves and move combinations
Next up is me shining some light on moves I tested, more or less to success. Read these with a grain of salt, it gets abstract.
  • Toxic: While I know that this move has seen use on Silvally-Fighting previously, it is not really seen on any Silvally form nowdays as most opt for coverage options like Surf or Flamethrower. But given how good fat builds are right now and how difficult it is for them to deal with a pokemon that can use Toxic reliably and gain momentum, it still has a fair slot on some forms. If I can I like to drog Defog on Silvally-Poison and run it with Flamethrower + Toxic.
  • Substitute + Swords Dance: In a metagame full of status moves like Toxic, Sleep Powder and Will-O-Wisp, having a fast Substitute with above average bulk even if uninvested can be really helpful. In a pinch, this can be incredibly deadly when your opponent is trying to make an aggressive play or just don't want you to set up for free. Of course this takes away a big part of what makes Silvally good, its coverage. You need more team support but I'm not saying these are ideal moves to run, just underexplored ones.
  • Terrain Pulse: I mentioned this on Silvally-Electric, as sure it can run Grass Pledge or Surf to hit Ground types, but Terrain Pulse has a way higher damage output and can 2HKO Stunfisk at +1 which neither of the other options can. I haven't tried Terrain Pulse in Electric Terrain yet, but Silvally forms that struggle to break Water types come to mind.

Silvally: A must-pick?!
Generation 8 sets itself appart by removing Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves (and cutting the pokedex). The consequences of that are moves like Trick/Switcheroo and Knock Off becoming incredibly strong, as (mostly the latter) will guarantee progress on whatever switches in by removing its item AND dealing damage. Without Mega Stones or Z-Crystals, nothing appreciates taking a Knock Off as no matter what item you are running, removing it will cripple you (some expections exist). This is where Silvally comes into play; While the above said does still matter here, ZU has a much lower power level, allowing Silvally forms to be viable! Silvally has the benefits of having a non-removable item, meaning Trick and Switcheroo fail versus it and Knock Off only having 65BP when used against Silvally. This is the reason I didn't include Silvally's base form into this post, because this doesn't apply for it since it doesn't actually hold an item to be Normal type. Given how threatening Silvally forms can be in the right matchup (and even in unfavorable ones if you have the right support) and them having the ability to gain momentum even if you don't run a pivoting move makes them incredibly valuable for offense and balance alike.
Of course Silvally isn't really a must-pick, but for me and my building, I always end up relying on a Silvally form in some way or another, be it being the pivot for one of my breaker or being the breaker itself.

Since I have played a lot more ZU lately, the metagame really grew to my heart and Silvally being such a fascinating, divers and really good pokemon makes this a topic I love to theorycraft, be it Silvally sets by themself or as a partner for something else. If you agree/disagree with anything or even want to add further to something I missed please do so and feel free to reach out to me if you have a question/suggestion!
Have a wonderful day and thanks for reading!
~pablo

Last edited:

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
I’ve always had the opinion that Silvally formes were all usable to some degree just because that repeated formula of coverage and passable stats made them worthwhile. Even Silvally-Grass, which is currently unranked, has seen tour success not so long ago. Can’t really go wrong with a good Silvally forme, and personally I appreciate their pivoting capabilities the most.

Post-hail ZU has been shaping up nicely. I noticed that counterplay to Ice-types is a lot more reliable now that we don’t have Aurorus, hail sweepers, and Arctovish complicating the process. :Klinklang: is seeing a ton of use and multiple sets as an offensive Ice-resistant Pokemon to make counterplay more rewarding. This is true for :rapidash: and :ninetales: as well, being a deterrent for Ice Beam from Jynx and using the forced switch as a setup opportunity. There’s also ole reliable :wishiwashi-school: that is one of the best defensive answers still, and some walbreakers like :lycanroc-midnight: find switch-ins to and punish defensive Ice-types like Articuno. While we lost about 4 very important Ice-types, I’d say it was for ZU’s betterment and to the chagrin of your TL who’s addicted to spamming hail teams ;-;)7.

Personally I’m content with the meta and I think it’s in a pretty good shape after this year’s bans. I haven’t seen any major outcry for more bans, if anything people were considering potential unbans (like for :grassy_seed:), so I see that as a good sign. We’re still looking to increase meta activity and discussions, and we always welcome dedicated, knowledgable individuals to help us out on ZU’s council. April shifts are around the corner, ZUPL is also sooner this year, and we’re in the middle of an importanr seasonal; this is to say the metagame is still somewhat volotile and we’ll be monitoring it closely. I’ll have more to say once my run in the tour is over but for now I do like the current teambuilding landscape and recent discoveries with the meta.

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Before I continue with my intended post, since Ho3n asked for thoughts on unbans, I thought I'd answer here. I think there are definitely grounds to retesting Grassy Seed, but I have pretty big concerns on how potentially unfun the metagame will be to play. This archetype wasn't overpowered by any means but it did demand a different sort of counterplay at the time in order to deal with setup spam special cores. I guess given enough time there is a possibility for this item to be fine in the metagame since we didn't have too much innovation before the ban and the timing of the ban was mainly because of the ZUPL that was about to start. That being said, I don't see the positives of reintroducing it into the metagame aside from it doesn't look good to have on the banlist (which in all fairness could lead us to having a look on what we ban rather than whether we ban it or not). I don't think anything else is close to being retest worthy.

After the recent Viability Rankings vote, and reading some of the discussions that have occurred in the #ss_zu channel during the past couple weeks, I've noticed that many people have expressed that they don't believe that Sawk has fallen off and that it no longer belongs in S-rank. While Sawk still resides at S-rank after the most recent update (thankfully), I was honestly a little surprised by this so I thought I'd share my two cents on why I believe Sawk still holds up as a top 2 Pokemon.

Black Belt
Sawk Shuffle.png

Sawk @ Black Belt
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Poison Jab

While it's difficult to exactly pinpoint which set is Sawk's best, I'd currently lean towards Black Belt variants which were initially a little under the radar but have finally had a chance to flourish. There's incredible value in being able to switch up moves; it can effectively bluff running a Choice Scarf and catch out soft-checks or weakened switch-ins with either its boosted Close Combat or coverage moves, and it has a much easier time against teams with Ghost-types that could lead to a whole series of 50/50s during the course of a game. In particular, it is great at luring one of the biggest beneficiaries of the departure of 3 Ice-types, Tangela. By using Knock Off the first time a Tangela switches in, and then getting/having gotten up Stealth Rock or one layer of Spikes up (which is a very common scenario):

252 Atk Black Belt Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangela: 150-177 (44.9 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

A common misconception is that this set should be able to reliably beat out/lure Alcremie, and while not being Choiced locked means that it can switch to Poison Jab and claim weakened Alcremie:

252 Atk Mold Breaker Sawk Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alcremie: 146-174 (43.7 - 52%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO

It should not be depended on to do this on a consistent basis and in fact Sawk has another set which is better equipped with dealing with it. Black Belt Sawk excels at what it's meant to do, which is a very reliable wallbreaker that is very difficult to switch into. Most of the Pokemon that can revenge kill or can force it out have to be very wary of doing so, and will often need a pivot or free switch-in to do so. Despite being slower than many key Pokemon such as Rotom, Jynx, and Silvally formes, its Speed is definitely passable for its role; it can pressure most commons walls and it is slightly faster than most other mid speed Wallbreakers giving Sawk teams a slight advantage. This set in particularly I find to be amazing on either physical or FightSpam teams and for something so simplistic is extremely fun to use.

Choice Scarf
Sawk Shuffle.png

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker / Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Choice Scarf Sawk is still one of the best Choice Scarf users in the metagame, and still relatively easy to fit onto teams. This set is predominantly a cleaner and revenge killer but can also help to weaken physical walls for its teammates/when its switches in later. While its rather one dimensional in what it wants to do, it does that very well.

That being said, I do agree that this set has gotten slightly harder to use with the rise of Tangela and Alcremie again; there are definitely times where it feels like your just throwing attacks into a brick wall to no avail; and that's definitely the main drawback of the Scarf set. Its attributes make it far more favourable against fast frail threats than it can pick off or force switches, so bulky physical Pokemon can pose a problem. Nonetheless, if these physical walls do get weakened, Sawk is more than capable of cleaning through teams, but its Scarf set cannot be expected to wallbreak by itself. Not that this is not inherently bad since pretty much all Scarfers (such as Rotom) can't do this.

Choice Band
Sawk Shuffle.png

Sawk @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker / Inner Focus
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Choice Band Sawk may not be as easy to fit onto teams as the other two common sets, but it is still extremely potent and is by far the most underrated. It is arguably one of the scariest wallbreakers to switch into given its solid Speed and very spammable STAB attack (compared to Lyncaroc-Midnight or Thievul for example). Even Fighting-type resists fear switching into Choice Band, and I've found that with Choice Band Sawk specifically you have the option to be even more of a nuisance for slower teams by sacrificing a +Speed nature for +Attack instead which leads to some very interesting calcs:

PhysDef Alcremie:
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alcremie: 135-159 (40.4 - 47.6%) -- 55.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Tangela still with Eviolite:
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 136-162 (40.7 - 48.5%) -- 67.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Obviously doing this means you are outsped by Kangaskhan, Thievul, and Kabutops so the trade-off is fairly big but it can certainly be effective on certain teams especially because the aforementioned Pokemon aren't super common at the moment. The only way you safely switch into this set is having a reliable Ghost-type that can take a couple Knock Offs, but those aren't commonly run so most of the counterplay relies on teams having offensive Pokemon to revenge kill it.

Conclusion
Sawk has 3 excellent sets and they all do different things despite the fact they all run the same 4/5 moves. Even if it is more linear than Rotom and many of the high A rank Pokemon, it can fulfill its dedicated role much better than almost all of them (the only Pokemon I believe that might be better at this is Rotom, but that's why it is the best Pokemon in ZU). Its sets complement each other super well allowing it too playoff the fear of it being a different set very well and nab surprise KOs consistently, and they all have a distinct purpose making Sawk a common staple on many offensive teams. While it's not particularly difficult to figure out what set Sawk is, each does require slightly different means of dealing with it which adds to its offensive capabilities. Compare this to a mon like Alcremie which many consider to be around Sawk's level, and you'll realise their trends are the same except Alcremie's gameplan is more focussed on setup sweeping/breaking while compared to Sawk, but it also suffers from the same "tempo loss issues" that some players judge Sawk for. The key difference to me is that Sawk is similar to Rotom in that for most of its sets, can not only blow a game right open, but as the game goes on, it becomes increasingly more difficult to deal with. All of this along with its consistency is why I regard Sawk to still be such an effective Pokemon atm, and despite Choice Scarf being worse than before, Sawk is still a top 2 Pokemon thanks to how good its other sets are more than making it up for it. I believe that the metagame will continue to revolve around Rotom, Sawk, and then Alcremie in this order until there are drastic shifts or bans.

Knock it Off with the Sawk is worse stuff :(

Last edited:

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Tier Shifts happened.

Torkoal moved from ZU to UU
Cinccino moved from ZU to PU
Eldegoss moved from ZU to PU
Frosmoth moved from ZU to PU
Perrserker moved from ZU to PU
Wishiwashi moved from ZU to PU
Magneton moved from NFE to PU

Froslass moved from PU to ZU

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
Tier shifts hit us with metagame shake up and while it is sad to see our finally stable metagame get thrown over, I always like some diversity in teambuilding.
For this I want to make a standard Winner/Losers overview for each rise.

:ss/Wishiwashi-School:

Winner:
Fire types, mainly Rapidash and Ninetales, will benefit a lot from this rise as Wishiwashi was really annoying to break past while also maintaining momentum for the opposing team. Similarly, Jynx and Klinklang who were walled by Wishiwashi to some extend now lost one of the more splashable checks, making it easier to sweep/break through. Basculin is noteworthy too, but I'm assuming other defensive Water types like Poliwrath will become more popular again. Losing our best bulky Water type will be a huge shift.
Besides the obvious offensive threats that get a lot better now that Wishiwashi is no longer there to check them, some defensive pokemon are also getting better because they don't have to fear Wishiwashi using a slow U-turn to bring in a scary breaker. Examples would be Altaria, Tangela and Eldegoss.

Loser:
Basically anything frail that liked to get in safely versus something they abuse and fellow VoltTurn partner. Pokemon that benefit a lot from Wishwashi were Jynx, Frosmoth, Perrserker and Klinklang. Defensively, pokemon that relied on Wishiwashi being a good special wall like Tangela and Rapidash, also lost a great partner that was key in their defensive cores and of course VoltTurn as whole will miss Wishiwashi a lot.

:ss/Perrserker:
Winner:
Klinklang lost its biggest competitor as an offensive and defensive (pure) steel type. This should make it even more appealing as a breaker with its Choice Band set. Many would probably expect Jynx, Exeggutor etc because those are the types generally walled by Perrserker, but to be honest, Perrserker was never a solid special answer. I don't really expect much to benefit from this in that regard, if anything if Klinklang's usage rises like I expect its even harder for pokemon like Silvally-Poison to break through because Klinklang has better bulk overall to take these on.
Other winner are Alcremie and Clefairy for obvious reasons. Of course by my assumption that Klinklang will be even better now this sounds a bit more irrelevant, but the power difference between the two is still notable and Klinklang's best STAB move can miss.

Loser:
Again annoying for the VoltTurn cores that had it as their primary breaker and/or defensive Steel type. Many special breaker like Jynx and Thievul appreciated how it can bait in and U-turn on physical walls like Tangela and Qwilfish. From my POV this rise only really hurts the very common and good VoltTurn archetype as running Perrserker as your defensive Steel type that was actually walling much wasn't very common regardless and is mostly done better by Klinklang anyway (outside of slow U-turn).

:ss/Cinccino:
Winner:
Cinccino is a really good pivot that has access to the broken Knock Off + U-turn combo. A spamable (but unreliable) Normal STAB to dish out big damage and Bullet Seed, Rock Blast or Triple Axel as coverage options to complement your team made is a premier pick for Offense and a threatening pokemon to face. Due to that pretty much everything slow and frail like like Jynx, Rotom and Dugtrio-Alola benefits from this and drops the relevant speed benchmark a little bit - personally I haven't found Alolan Persian to be all

Loser:
It is obvious that VoltTurn cores have lost a lot in the recent shift and take the shorter end of the stick here. Breaker like Choice Band Lycanroc really appreciated Cinccino chipping and more importantly knocking physical walls like Tangela and Qwilfish, enabling them to break through them a lot easier. Additionally ,physically defensive Ghost types like Gourgeist and Spiritomb lost a valuable breaker to check.

:ss/Frosmoth:
Winner:
Me, screw Frosmoth.
On a more serious note, since we, luckily, don't have many offensive Ice types and Jynx not really competing with Frosmoth as both fit into different team structures, there isn't really a direct competitor getting any better. Sure Jynx appreciates Frosmoth gone because it would be pretty annoying to break through unless you run Psyshock, but that falls under a different category. Different winner are pokemon which were exploided by Frosmoth like Altaria (without Flamethrower or Dual Wingbeat), Tangela and Eldegoss.
Loser:
Articuno really hates this because Frosmoth was the Ice type it was reliably beating even in Sun (no Sand does not count). Now it is left with Jynx being potentially more common which screws over Articuno with Psyshock and Trick. On the same note, Coalossal (and other Fire types like Rapidash to lesser extend) loses one of the pokemon it used to check & if my theorycrafting is correct will also be effected by Articuno becoming worse (I can't say how much, can be minor too, time will tell). Klinklang also loved the setup versus Frosmoth since Jynx can actually threaten Steel types with Focus Blast.

I don't have much time to go more into dept here and leave Eldegoss and the new toy Froslass for someone else!
I also potentially missed some Winner/Loser but see it as an act of generosity so you can have something to post about. See you all in the FU discord!​

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
1624742903153.gif

SS ZU: A New Era

Sweeping changes have taken over ZU, sure to provide massive differences to the way the metagame is played. Among the departures include two Pokémon that served incredible importance to the defensive backbone of the metagame, those being Eldegoss and Wishiwashi. The other now-PU Pokémon each had their own significance on offense ~ Perrserker was an insane wallbreaker, Cinccino was a fast pivot, and Frosmoth was a threatening sweeper. This seems like a massive loss, and it definitely hurts, but we were given a Pokémon sure to hold a very unique place in the game.

:ss/froslass:

Froslass: Overpowered or Overrated?

Boasting a unique typing, a solid movepool, and a relatively blazing 110 Speed stat, Froslass looks to be a big threat. While it hovered around the B-tier when it was here last year, it no longer needs to deal with its biggest checks (Wishiwashi, Ferroseed, etc.) that limited it. With two ridiculously strong STAB attacks, Froslass becomes a nightmare to switch into with a Choice Band equipped. CB has its checks, but teams will also have to account for offensive Spikes sets, and even special attacking sets. Here's a list of most of Froslass's potentially viable sets.

It'll be hard to consistently play around Froslass on a game-to-game basis. It has so much versatility that one simply can't slap one defacto answer onto every team. However, there's no telling just how many Froslass sets will actually be viable. While it's not a 1-to-1 situation, Rotom's insane variety of sets made it nearly banned. However, the metagame adapted so that sets like SubPlot weren't nearly as scary as they initially seemed. This could be the case with Froslass ~ on paper, it can definitely get past some of its checks and counters, but Froslass also has to do this on a consistent basis to be bannable. Whether or not that'll happen is up for debate, but for now, I see Froslass as an easy A-tier Pokémon that is balanced enough. It still has poor bulk, lots of weaknesses, and a relatively average attacking stat, so I'm not too sold on it being necessarily broken.

:ss/jynx:

Is Jynx Finally Broken?

The most consistent check to Jynx, that being Wishiwashi, is now gone. Ever since its meteoric rise during late summer 2021, murmurs of its potential turned into louder conversations discussing its insane prowess. Jynx is undoubtedly a nightmare to switch into, with very few Pokémon handling its dual STAB coverage. The ones that do, like Miltank and Klinklang, fear taking a Focus Blast. There were still a variety of checks to it though, both offensively and defensively. Unfortunately, two of the best ones, Alolan Sandslash and Wishiwashi, are gone. So what's next? Well, Pokémon like Rapidash and Articuno are sure to still give it some trouble. With that being said, the grounds of banning Jynx have only grown more and more legitimate, and I wouldn't be surprised if Wishiwashi's departure serves as a breaking point.

:ss/miltank::ss/rapidash::ss/poliwrath:

Picking Up the Slack: The Necessary Winners

To account for the big defensive losses, and the potentially massive offensive gains, we'll inevitably need defensive Pokémon to stand up big time. As a defacto check to so many different attackers, Miltank will only be more valuable as a mixed wall. I've already discussed how Wishiwashi's leave will affect things, but with Eldegoss's leave presumably opening up opportunities for Pokémon like Thwackey, Nascar Cow may also be better than ever. Rapidash is also notable, whose typing lets it vitally check Klinklang, a sweeper that loves seeing Wishiwashi go. It'll still hate running into Altaria, but it will likely be an extremely valuanle defensive piece in the future. Now that the top bulky Water is gone, though, it's time for the next great bulky Water. Poliwrath, with its solid defensive typing and bulk, seems to be up for the challenge. Its use of Rocky Helmet and Circle Throw can punish offensive teams, while Knock Off and RestTalk let it play the long game against passive defensive opponents.

:ss/lunatone::ss/type-null::ss/raichu:

Who'll Be the Next Great Underdog Story?

Nothing shows a metagame's longevity quite like the rise of a once-doubted Pokémon. We most recently saw it with Sivally-Fighting and Lycanroc-Midnight climbing up the ranks, who were once considered niche & now considered legitimate threats. There are a couple of Pokémon who I think have the potential to rise up, like Pawniard and Solrock, but I wanted to focus on ranked Pokémon first. Lunatone has already been seeing quite a rise, but it still remains relatively slept on. It's hard for the tier shifts to have played out in any better favor for it ~ two of its most notable defensive checks, Wishiwashi and Eldegoss, are now gone. Cinccino, which threatened it severely with Knock Off and Bullet Seed, can't be here to revenge kill it anymore. And while it was far from a perfect check, not having to deal with Banded Perrserker means that its team can have a slightly easier time accounting for Lunatone's weaknesses. Another riser I'm predicting is Type-Null, who admittedly functions as a dollar-store Wishiwashi. Still, it can do some things that Wishiwashi couldn't, like switch into Thievul. Its always been speculated to be better than just C-tier, but with its biggest competitor leaving, it might just shine a little brighter. Lastly, Eldegoss was a major roadblock in Raichu's viability, and so of course it loves the fact that it's gone now. Cinccino's departure also makes its Speed tier even more viable, so despite the immense competition, Raichu may just carve a solid niche in ZU.

viet noa

is a Pre-Contributor
:ss/roselia:

Is Roselia Next Up?

A few days ago, Procrastinasian was introducing me to the idea of Roselia having viability in SS ZU. After some experimentation, I have some faith that Roselia has solid upside. With ZU losing its premier Rapid Spin user, the variety in good hazard removal isn't necessarily an easy thing to come by. Furthermore, with the dominance of Pokémon like Sawk, Rhydon, and Alcremie, Roselia might stand a chance as a solid anti-meta choice.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Point / Natural Cure
EVs: 236 HP / 216 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis / Rest

With Speed to outpace offensive Rhydon, and Defense to survive Sawk's onslaught of attacks, Roselia can lay Spikes on the field while being a little bit of a tank. Metagame trends are certainly going to change, but many of the current mons on top ultimately have to respect the presence of Roselia. It might not be the next greatest Pokémon, but I do think that it may have a place of belonging in SS ZU. Here are some calcs demomstrating the advantages Roselia have:
252 Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 216+ Def Eviolite Roselia: 126-149 (42 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Sawk Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 216+ Def Eviolite Roselia: 85-100 (28.3 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Black Belt Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 236 HP / 216+ Def Eviolite Roselia: 91-108 (30.3 - 36%) -- 41.8% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Alcremie: 168-198 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- 78.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Roselia Leaf Storm over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Poliwrath: 458-544 (119.2 - 141.6%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Thwackey Wood Hammer vs. 236 HP / 216+ Def Eviolite Roselia in Grassy Terrain: 62-73 (20.6 - 24.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 SpA Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Roselia: 85-102 (28.3 - 34%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO
16+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 216+ Def Eviolite Roselia: 120-142 (40 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Roselia Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 472-564 (114 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:ss/roselia:

Is Roselia Next Up?

A few days ago, Procrastinasian was introducing me to the idea of Roselia having viability in SS ZU. After some experimentation, I have some faith that Roselia has solid upside. With ZU losing its premier Rapid Spin user, the variety in good hazard removal isn't necessarily an easy thing to come by. Furthermore, with the dominance of Pokémon like Sawk, Rhydon, and Alcremie, Roselia might stand a chance as a solid anti-meta choice.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Point / Natural Cure
EVs: 236 HP / 216 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis / Rest

With Speed to outpace offensive Rhydon, and Defense to survive Sawk's onslaught of attacks, Roselia can lay Spikes on the field while being a little bit of a tank. Metagame trends are certainly going to change, but many of the current mons on top ultimately have to respect the presence of Roselia. It might not be the next greatest Pokémon, but I do think that it may have a place of belonging in SS ZU. Here are some calcs demomstrating the advantages Roselia have:
252 Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 216+ Def Eviolite Roselia: 126-149 (42 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Sawk Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 216+ Def Eviolite Roselia: 85-100 (28.3 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Black Belt Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 236 HP / 216+ Def Eviolite Roselia: 91-108 (30.3 - 36%) -- 41.8% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Alcremie: 168-198 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- 78.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Roselia Leaf Storm over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Poliwrath: 458-544 (119.2 - 141.6%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Thwackey Wood Hammer vs. 236 HP / 216+ Def Eviolite Roselia in Grassy Terrain: 62-73 (20.6 - 24.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 SpA Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Roselia: 85-102 (28.3 - 34%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO
16+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 216+ Def Eviolite Roselia: 120-142 (40 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Roselia Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 472-564 (114 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This is a great post! However, I think there is one Spikes user in particular that directly benefits from the departure of Eldegoss while having a better matchup versus Articuno and other Defoggers:
:ss/pincurchin:
Electric Feel (Pincurchin) @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Discharge / Thunderbolt
- Scald

Pincurchin is a big beneficiary of Eldegoss' rise to PU. Grass-type switch-ins that can tolerate its Electric/Water combination, such as Tangela and Smallgeist, dislike the status from Pincurchin's moves and cannot afford to run Heavy-Duty Boots to avoid chip from Spikes. Reliable recovery is what distinguishes Pincurchin from the other big Spikers in ZU, Froslass and Qwilfish. Froslass is a bit more restricted to hyper offensive teams in its Spikes setting, and though Qwilfish does have a bit of a better defensive profile, it can struggle with being worn down by Knock Off + chip over the course of games.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Heyo ZU, decided to try my hand at teambuilding formats again, and so of course I came straight here. The meta right now doesn't seem to be very balance-oriented, which is the only playstyle I'm good at, so hopefully I can try and do some meta developments and change that haha. I was looking for a Wish user and uh, as far as I could see there aren't any, at least in analyses' sample sets. So I went with an old faithful from Gen VII and it's been working out nicely:

:Leafeon:
Leafeon @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Jolly Nature / Impish Nature
- Wish
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Protect

Leafeon, with it's wonderful 130 Def, has been putting in a lot of work for me so far, even without investment. It can switch freely into a lot of anti-offense Pokémon like Kangaskhan, Dugtrio-Alola, and even Thwackey if it's not Band and clicking U-Turn, generating a lot of momentum for your team. Miltank being a top tier threat that's often run SpDef with Thick Fat certainly helps make this splashable too. The only reason to use this over Tangela is Wish, but I think that's a good enough reason to run it haha.

Yeah it's probably not a revelation that physically bulky Grass-Type Pokémon are good in this format :P

Another set that's been amazing for me and isn't on the analysis is this:

:Dugtrio-Alola:
Dugtrio-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Tangling Hair
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake / High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Hone Claws

Mine is High Horsepower because it's on a team with Thwackey, but Dugtrio-Alola is actually a really nice cleaner with Hone Claws. This is a really nice Pokémon on Balance teams because it's a fast Pokémon with a wonderful defensive typing, and putting Hone Claws on it allows it to check a lot more threats and minimise its viable switch-ins vs offense. Plus having that additional consistency on Stone Edge is great vs Pokémon like Cramorant who are otherwise fairly free switch-ins.

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey frens. It's been about a week since shifts so I thought I'd drop my thoughts in a post (sorry for the lazy formatting), starting with the elephant in the room Jynx:

Jynx
:jynx: The loss of Wishiwashi had quite a big impact on Jynx's viability in ZU. Obviously, Wishiwashi was a pretty great answer to Jynx and by far our best option for teams that needed a Specially Defensive Water-type (as may have probably realised, trying to replace Wishiwashi hasn't been easy and Type: Null as a slow SpDef pivot is unfortunately extremely mid). However, Wishiwashi was also one of the best Pokemon for getting in Jynx safely and the loss of another slower pivot in Perrserker has definitely made it harder to build dedicated pivot based teams around Jynx. This leaves us with very few Pokemon that can deal with all of Jynx's sets reliably, namely Articuno, Clefairy, Type Null or using multiple Pokemon like Klinklang and Gourgeist-S to pivot round its attacks. It should also be mentioned that most of the best switch-ins to Jynx hate being Tricked, especially Articuno which would give Jynx the very use Heavy Duty-Boots in return.

:jynx: That being said Jynx is pretty difficult to use to its full effect; on paper it's absolutely broken and in teambuilder it's really frustrating to account for, but when against it, well it really depends on the skill level of the player to get this Pokemon in multiple times. And even if you do, well there's no guarantee it'll be able to tear past several Pokemon given that teams are often built very specifically to deal with Jynx. I've even faced teams where they have 2, 3, and in extreme cases 4 Pokemon that outpace or speed tie with Jynx so that Specs sets never really get a chance to claim more than 1 KO. Not to mention the hazards weakness further increases the difficult of using its non HDB sets, though I believe there is definitely a lot of potential for Lovely Kiss, given its high-roll nature, since Specs is more prediction reliant. Maybe you could argue that it warps teambuilding too much, but I can't really conclusively say whether it's broken because so far it's been very strong but then fails to do what its supposed to on paper. There are aspects that I don't find unhealthy, and I don't believe Jynx provides much benefit to the tier but it's difficult to pinpoint all of this onto Jynx or any single mon for that matter. I feel that it's much more of a wider teambuilding problem with the lack of options we have mons or the fact that using certain checks/counters leaves you extremely vulnerable to some of the other big threats.

Basculin
:ss/basculin:
:basculin: Another fast wallbreaker which benefitted from Wishiwashi going, but Eldegoss too. Special sets have also started to run Head Smash to deal with Articuno/Crunch for Jynx further eliminating one of its would be checks, although even without this it can Flip Turn and wear down special walls and not give them a chance to recover (which Eldegoss can shrug off easily and Wishiwashi can regain momentum against a lot of Pokemon). Physical sets still work with Ice Beam as well although may not be necessary depending on how Tangela usage changes. Honestly, without Poliwrath or Jynx on your team, this Pokemon is very annoying to deal with due to the lack of solid Water-type switch-ins we have, and Jynx struggles a lot more against the physical coverage Basculin may carry. It Speed tier is also really good at the moment since it outpaces the base 95s (Jynx, Silvally formes...) and Morpeko.

:basculin:Despite being fast, the metagame has also gotten more offensive and faster; return of Alolan Persian, rise of the Gorse, Gourgeist-S and Manectric being used, and scarfers are still common, meaning it still has to worry about being revenge killed given it's pretty poor defenses. I guess you can also lob Thwackey into this section and it's probably mildly better than switching into Basculin that most of the aforementioned Pokemon but would still prefer not to. Articuno can mess with the low PP of Hydro Pump due to Pressure, and Poliwrath on the rise will definitely mess with it a lot and make it a lot more inconsistent. This also forces Basculin to have to pick between Surf in fear of being stalled out, Head Smash as an option for specific for Articuno, or Toxic/Super Effective coverage vs Poliwrath. In theory there are very niche mons like Mareanie and Slowpoke that would probably be a reasonable check to Basculin especially with Regenerator, but its pretty untested afaik and probably struggle to some of the other big threats due to their passivity. If Jynx goes, then I see this going as well but I'm not sure if that's the correct order to do things seeing as Basculin is a fair bit easier to use as a breaker. I may be in the minority in saying this, but with my somewhat limited testing, I do feel that Basculin is actually more of a problem than Jynx as for the most, Basculin's moves are a lot more spammable, with one or two exceptions.

Klinklang
:ss/klinklang:
:klinklang:Klinklang has been on the rise multiple times already this year, and it's continuing to do so with the recent changes. While Specs and Choice Band are both decent sets, its mainly Shift Gear that poses problems for many teams. Unlike the previous two Pokemon, Klinklang is significantly easier to switch into; we have Pokemon like Rapidash, Stunfisk, and Coalossal that literally dissuade Klinklang from attacking at all due to their abilities and our physical walls are general more sound that our special ones. With that said, many of these Pokemon that are able to deal with Klinklang not only get absolutely destroyed by the special attackers but are also relatively easy to exploit; Dash gets forced to recover very often, Stunfisk and Coal are extremely passive and lack reliable recovery. While these traits can obviously be made up for by teammates, personally its a feelsbad whenever I have to resort to using one of these Pokemon. I'm also not a fan of how a single boost means our Scarfers can't revenge kill it. It's not really banworthy for now, but it'll be an interesting mon to keep an eye on given how I feel it's under used at the moment and many teams seem to fold to it really easily after a single boost since teams have become more offensive.

Froslass
:ss/froslass:
:froslass: Finally, I have to talk about the new Pokemon of course. Lassie has been fine for the most part and despite the fact it puts further pressure on our questionable hazard removal options given its favourable matchups (rip Torkoal /s), it has certainly been one of the more fun parts of the metagame (at least to me). I do hope we get better hazard removal because it feels like fat teams are quite limited unless you go potentially boots spam stuff, but Rhydon is also a culprit of this problem (rip Eldegoss). Otherwise, its a fine mon, we have enough answers to it, the speed is pretty nice for some of the above mons as well and the weakness to rocks certainly makes it harder to use and more punishable if not running boots.

Conclusion
:ss/hattrem:
:hattrem: The state of the metagame is pretty meh at the moment, but I'm sure that a few changes will make teambuilding and playing not only more enjoyable but the metagame as a whole will be more healthy. I'm curious to hear what others have to say on some of these Pokemon since I feel like the order I want to go about things may be different to others (Basc first so far) but ultimately I'd definitely support a suspect of some kind at the very least, and to a lesser extent potential for a quickban of some kind.

Last edited:

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
Quick update: The ZU council is voting on Jynx, Basculin, and Klinklang. We’re aiming to get the votes out before the next round of seasonal, and the options are to quickban, suspect or do nothing.

:jynx: :basculin: :klinklang:

April’s shifts created the agency necessary to act on multiple Pokemon at once, and all three examples exhibit unhealthy / broken characteristics. Jynx arguably got the most attention with it capable of breaking down most teams with its dual STAB attacks + multiple supporting options. Note that discourse around unused Pokemon like Mr. Rime and Metang sprouted up as potential new answers to it, which is never a good sign for the meta. Basculin in particular wasn’t that popular before April, but now that the tier lost 3 special walls that dealt with it, Basculin is way more threatening. Counterplay exists but like Jynx, Basculin runs a lot of potential coverage to overcome its threats. Klinklang is another recent concern that became very centralizing as one of the last good Steel-types that ZU has. This new popularity lead to more focus on its problematic aspects and how effective it was as a cleaner with limited counterplay.

As it’s been over a week into a new meta that disrupted a lot of our teams, council agrees on tiering action to balance what we’re left with. Let us know what you think of these three and if there is anything else you’d like for us to address; for now, ZU’s new threat Froslass wasn’t concerning for us to look at right away.

Tuthur

Haha CEO
Council has voted on Basculin, Jynx, and Klinklang!

:ss/basculin:
5 Ban
Corthius: Ban
Drud: Ban. Hurts me to say because it's one of my fav mons to use but outside having water absorb mons it's too strong, as it can 2kho resists with special water stab, slowly through shifts it's been getting harder to prepare against and now wishiwashi and eldegoss left. in it's last slot it can fit coverage for whatever it can't already hit so you can't rely on every water immunity mon for example Jynx can't take a head smash or crunch. Alongside a very good speed tier and it being able to generate momentum almost infinitely makes it too overwhelming for the tier in my opinion.
Jett: Ban. I've found both Specs and Mystic Water sets to be way too consistently strong in every non-Poliwrath matchup. Flip Turn chips special attackers a lot while gaining momentum which doesnt allow Clefairy and Articuno a chance to regain their health. The loss of Eldegoss which could shrug Flip Turn damage, and Wishiwashi has been massive (Frosmoth and Cinc to a lesser extent too) in allowing Basculin with the perfect metagame to thrive in. It's even running moves like Head Smash and Crunch to further deal with its answers leaving us with only offensive counterplay to really go off of, and Poliwrath. Any meta where we have to resort to unviable NFEs and LCs for alternative Basculin answers is not it, so hopefully we get rid of this devil.
S1nn0hC0nfirm3d: Ban
Tuthur: Ban. This is just way too effective, Specs Hydro Pump has close to no switch-in, 2HKOing resists like Tangela and Qwilfish, and Flip Turn easily puts switch ins in range. It can even tech Head Smash to smash some of the most common checks in Cramorant, Articuno, and Jynx. It is quite fast, meaning it is hard to prevent it to get opportunities. It is too effective as a wallbreaker and thus broken.

4 Do nothing, 1 suspect
Corthius: Do nothing
Drud: Do Nothing, i want the meta to have a bit more time to adapt (after the Basculin ban too). Jynx is a mon that's broken if you look at on paper or in the calc, but in game it's easier to deal with, because using it effectively requires the Jynx user to get almost all their predictions right and if they make a mistake with it they could lose it. I might still lean towards a suspect or a ban in the near future but for now i don't want to do anything yet.
Jett: Do Nothing. While I'm more willing to suspect this than Klinklang at the moment, I don't really like the notion of voting suspect when we're banning a different mon, which is why I'm hesitant to vote suspect. Doing nothing here doesn't mean I don't want to do anything with Jynx, but I'd rather wait like another week or so before we fully assess whether it'll be needed or not. As for actual reasoning why, well it has an extremely limited number of switch-ins, and while a lot of its best support has been removed, I still believe that to some extent it that it may be restricting our teambuilding too much but Jynx is notoriously difficult to use making it pretty difficult to assess. Hopefully we'll have a greater understanding in some of the seasonal matchups.
S1nn0hC0nfirm3d: Suspect
Tuthur: Do nothing. While it is true that Jynx has close to safe switch-ins, it lacks good partners to give remove hazards and give it switch-in opportunities. The hazard weakness is notably huge in a metagame where Rhydon and Froslass beat removal. Also it has been extremely reliant on predictions in the games I played. All in all, it is an hard pokemon to use and build around, and i'd like to keep it under radar a bit longer.

4 Do nothing, 1 suspect
Corthius: Do nothing
Drud: Do Nothing, similar to Jynx I want to give the meta a bit more time to adapt to this pokemon but could see a suspect/ban in the future.
Jett: Do Nothing. I think suspecting Klinklang at the moment would be a horrible mistake. While Shift Gear makes it pretty potent rn, and it can be a feelsbad moment at times when looking at what mons we gotta "resort" to *cough* Stunfisk *cough*. Refusing to use these Pokemon shouldn't be a grounds to suspect it since they actually have valid purposes outside of just dealing with Klinklang. As our only good Steel-type left(Alolan Duggy ig is alright), it offers a fair bit on the defensive side of things as well, and banning it would have a fair few negative consequences as well. I also think that it's likely that Klinklang checks become easier to use once we deal with the more problematic special attackers.
S1nn0hC0nfirm3d: Do nothing
Tuthur: Suspect. Klinklang is ridiculous to prepare for in more offensive teams. Offense has to resort to suboptimal picks that are either hard to build around (Rapidash, Poliwrath, Gurdurr) or use passive mon (RH Miltank, Stunfisk). Klinklang just kills offense in the same way Aurorus killed defensive builds, it is way too reliable at cleaning with insufficient counterplay when set up and too many occasions to setup thanks to its great defense typing + bulk.

As a result, Basculin (both formes) has been banned from SS ZU! Tagging Kris and Marty to implement the ban on PS!

Council will keep an eye on the other two Pokemon.

Tuthur: Suspect. Klinklang is ridiculous to prepare for in more offensive teams. Offense has to resort to suboptimal picks that are either hard to build around (Rapidash, Poliwrath, Gurdurr) or use passive mon (RH Miltank, Stunfisk). Klinklang just kills offense in the same way Aurorus killed defensive builds, it is way too reliable at cleaning with insufficient counterplay when set up and too many occasions to setup thanks to its great defense typing + bulk.
So I meant this as a short reply but old habits die hard and ended up writing a lot so here's my take on Klinklang in the metagame and some of my thoughts surrounding it

The difference was not only did Aurorus destroy defensive teams, they also just slaughtered balance and offense any time it got a switch in. Now granted it was just harder to get free room to work against offense but if you ever did get a free moment then it was getting a kill. Klinklang is a mon that has very good offense match up if you're free to come in vs something its steel typing is useful against but its not an auto win as its low speed before setting up and reliance on set up turns means its got to be executed correctly in order to get value out of that which is fundamentally a different game than what Aurorus was doing. On top of that Klinklang is strictly a hinderance to offense; balance and defensive teams having plenty of options to deal with it even going past what you listed like Persian-a, Rotom, Ninetales, and Coal to list a few. So you'd strictly be making the case that having a favored offense match up is worth suspecting it over which I'm just not seeing. We've seen metas where mon like Persian-a and Rotom find ways onto offense/ offensive adjacent teams and mons like Ninetails might just be a solid meta pick in this coming meta thanks to the apparent dislike for Rapidash which was one of the bigger answers to it and what has always really held it back.

I think offense has the room to grow around the problem of Klinklang and in general the metagame as a whole as so many different opportunities to adapt around it that I just don't see it as a problem as much as the counter play to Klinklang just not feeling great to run. I've only been back a few days so its hard to articulate why that is from personal experience, but going from the opinions of people I've talked to it sounds more like an issue of Froslass just not really having answers between both of its Stabs being insane nukes and the spikes that it provides mixed with its ability to 1 for 1 with destiny bond to take out a key part of defensive cores teams leaves the tier in a state of "play offense to have the best shot at dealing with lass, and try your best to deal with Klinklang while not slotting in the things that we have to beat it because a lot of them don't fit on the playstyle that best deals with lass" which to me sounds like Klinklang is a symptom of the problem rather than the problem.

There's also the snowball effect that banning Klinklang would have on the tier as we'd probably be forced to quick ban Alcremie if Klinklang ever left which then would probably force our hand at having to ban Sawk and possibly even Thievul. Klinklang is the definition of a linchpin that, if removed, would cascade into a spiral of bans that I don't think would long term benefit the tier.

I'd highly advice against a Klinklang suspect and instead identify why this mon that has so much counter play all the sudden feels bad to play against.

Last edited:

viet noa

is a Pre-Contributor
bb1e2ce141f991321758613104bbccb5ca1785b8_hq.gif

SS ZU So Far
It sure has been an eventful week for SS ZU. The impact of the departures have been about as big as expected, and we've just seen some big metagame decisions made by the council. Basculin got banned, who I didn't even mention in my last post, but I did subconsciously expect it to get broken. Additionally, Jynx and Klinklang were not banned. Lots of stuff has gone on, that's for sure. Let's talk about it!

"It's Klinklang's World, We're Just Living in It"

As a follow-up to kay's post, while discussions of banning Klinklang have their reasons, what we've learned is that Klinklang serves such a crucial role in the SS ZU metagame. Klinklang has a pretty amazing amount of role compression, being one of the few sweepers to also act as a relatively defensive Pokémon. Resisting hits from Thwackey, Silvally-Poison, and more give it ample opportunity to set up and sweep. We may know it for its great matchup against offense, but it works just as well against bulky teams. Common walls like Qwilfish, Tangela, and Articuno become easy setup fodder if they aren't already getting crippled by Klinklang's Toxic. We've also seen Klinklang's versatility, seeing it run Band and Specs to let it function as a bulky offensive pivot.

There's no doubt that Klinklang is incredibly good, and every team has to go to certain measures to keep it in check, but can we really afford to lose it? In my opinion, no. As the closest thing we have to a consistent bulky Steel-type, Klinklang is an extremely important check to many Pokémon that could otherwise be too overwhelming. Kay mentioned Alcremie's prowess in a Klinklang-less tier, but I also think Pokémon like Froslass and Jynx could be too much to handle without a Pokémon like Klinklang. We still have defensive measures like Rapidash, Poliwrath, alongside offensive threats like Alolan Dugtrio who can at least keep Klinklang somewhat in check. We ultimately are just living in a Klinklang world, and we should be able to adjust to that.

:ss/silvally-electric: :ss/persian-alola: :ss/ninetales:

Some Other Winners

With the recent changes, I wanted to highlight some other winners in this meta. Silvally-Electric seems like an unorthodox pick, because it already beat departures like Wishiwashi and Eldegoss, but not having to necessarily run Flamethrower is really nice. Work Up with BoltBeam and Surf provides near perfect coverage, muscling past almost every defensive Pokémon in the late game. It does get easily revenge killed, but I honestly like it as a Work Up sweeper more than Silvally-Poison right now. Alolan Persian's Speed is more valuable than ever, thanks to Cinccino leaving alongside the introduction of the fast (but slower) Froslass. It now can more consistently run 216+ Speed, letting it invest in bulk more. With physical breakers running everywhere, Alolan Persian is a utility mon that checks these threats nicely. Lastly, with Wishiwashi gone, it's slightly easier for Ninetales to spam Fire Blast. It also enjoys the departure of a revenge killer like Cinccino. Ninetales will still struggle against Rapidash, Miltank, and Altaria, but with the dominance of Jynx and Klinklang, being a Fire-type is much more useful than before.

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
Sorry for posting this late but I was moving this weekend and I still don't have WIFI.

:ss/Basculin:
I voted ban on Basculin. Choice Specs Basculin was incredibly dangerous in every game without a Water immunity - basically Poliwrath as it is the most sturdy and viable. Losing Wishwashi which could generate momentum and Eldegoss healing the chip damage with Regenerator really buffed Basculin. Jynx also benefited from Basculin being so good, but soon Baculin swapped to using Head Smash and outspeeding it, dealing more consistently with Jynx and Articuno. Being forced to run Poliwrath is far from healthy for the tier and while Poliwrath itself got better, it is nowhere near as splashable to be considered a must-pick. I, personally, prefered running Mystic Water sets which capitalized even more on Basculin's techs and allows for easier breaking overall. Checks like Articuno just got Flip Turn'ed on until they were in range of Hydro Pump. This was probably an obvious outcome.

:ss/Jynx:
I voted Do Nothing. While I have been jokingly saying ban Jynx in the Discord, I do not believe in it being broken to the point of being quick-banned. I was tossed up between Suspect Testing it tho. Jynx is a basic on-paper threat that has really limited switchins, making teambuilding really tough if you focus too much on switching into it. Jynx' biggest weakness is actually that it's quite not strong enough. This may sound a bit weird, but what I mean with that is basically Jynx has an incredibly bad defensive typing and even worse bulk. That means when Jynx isn't OHKOing whats infront of it, it usually wants to switch out. Knock Off and U-turn being so common doesn't help either. Lovely Kiss somewhat helps in this regard, but sleep in itself is a gamble too. Whenever I played versus or with Jynx it never got a 6-0 or 3 kills in a game. I'm still fine with Suspect Testing this in the future, but for now I want to see if and how we can adapt to this.

:ss/Klinklang:
I voted Do Nothing. Klinklang gets a lot of traffic right now. Perrserker leaving shifted a lot of peoples attention to it, which is an obvious reaction. I personally don't believe Klinklang is broken, but it really benefits from special wallbreaker being so good right now, making a lot of teams more focusing on the specially defensive side. Still, I rather wanted to ban/do something about a special breaker that forces these structures, rather than looking at Klinklang itself. I like kay's examples here. I know offensive builds are incredible right now and Klinklang is really good into these matchups, but walls leaving the tier always results in an up-shift of the viablity of Offense. There are still fine enough checks like Gurdurr, Persian-Alola, Dugtrio-Alola, Coaloassal, Rapidash, Rotom (Sitrus Berry variants are probably really good into this matchups), Poliwrath and some other are fine for BO/Offensive/Balanced builds. The argument of Klinklangs checks being easily chipped throughout the match is weird to me. The concept of having a sweeper and a team that supports it by weakening its checks etc is not new nor exclusive to Klinklang. Klinklang might be a bit easier to use since its typing is so valuable right now but I don't see it being broken right now.
There's no doubt that Klinklang is incredibly good, and every team has to go to certain measures to keep it in check, but can we really afford to lose it? In my opinion, no. As the closest thing we have to a consistent bulky Steel-type, Klinklang is an extremely important check to many Pokémon that could otherwise be too overwhelming. Kay mentioned Alcremie's prowess in a Klinklang-less tier, but I also think Pokémon like Froslass and Jynx could be too much to handle without a Pokémon like Klinklang. We still have defensive measures like Rapidash, Poliwrath, alongside offensive threats like Alolan Dugtrio who can at least keep Klinklang somewhat in check. We ultimately are just living in a Klinklang world, and we should be able to adjust to that.
Regarding this, people need to realize that this doesn't matter when looking at Klinklang. For the sake of explanation, let's assume Klinklang is indeed broken. While of course all the meassures you name are true, Klinklang does offer a lot of defensive value and councils knows this as well, you wouldn't keep Klinklang in the tier as 'necessary evil'. That's simply not how tiering works and keeping one broken pokemon just to potentially not make other pokemon broken shouldn't be how we look at this overall. We rather ban Klinklang and everything that follows to be broken as well. Having a broken pokemon in the tier just for the sake of keeping our old metagame is unstable anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

:ss/Persian-ALola:
I'm a big advocate for Alolan Persian (see my VR post where I first mentioned that it already got better). Its speed tier is incredible and without Cinccino you don't even need to run max speed anymore, making room for more bulk. Parting Shot is really valuable right now as well, as many teams don't want to rely on more passive but really bulky pokemon like Stunfisk, making it easier to get your pokemon in. Foul Play is really good for keeping most Silvally forms and other physical sweeper like Rapidash, Bouffalant and Lycanroc-Midnight in check. The addition of Froslass to the tier only helps even further.

:Ss/Kabutops: :ss/Poliwrath: :ss/Silvally-Water:
Offensive Water types have lost two big competitors, pretty much the two go-to picks when you were thinking of adding a Water type to your team. Poliwrath continues to climb in viability as probably the best defensive Water type now and Kabutops and Silvally-Water fit the role of offensive pivots. They are also unique enough compared to each other to give them room for being different enough to justify for different reasons. I am looking forward which Water types might as well become more relevant now. Ludicolo looks fun.

viet noa

is a Pre-Contributor
Yesterday I was pretty down in the dumps, because I wish some of our former ZU mons didn't rise to PU, and I feel burnout from using many of the same threats we've always used (Sawk, Rotom, etc). So, here's a post about some niche Pokémon I've enjoyed using :)
:ss/mr-mime:
Mr. Mime @ Choice Specs
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
I like using Mr. Mime with Choice Specs, as it can hit decently hard alongside its good speed tier. It also has nice coverage, meaning that it can still hit temporary switch-ins like Dark-types and Steel-types. It struggles to get onto the field, but once it's on, it isn't something to sleep on.
:ss/solrock:
Solrock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rock Blast
- Morning Sun
- Stealth Rock / Earthquake
Solrock is a nice little check to Froslass, as well as other physical attacks like Rhydon, Rapidash, and Kangaskhan. It's not very consistent as a physical wall, but given the right situation, it can spam burns and recovery. The EVs are for outspeeding and burning Rhydon.
:ss/grapploct:
Grapploct @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 128 HP / 220 Atk / 160 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Brutal Swing
Although it essentially functions as a discount Gurdurr, Grapploct is a fun special tank. It can survive 2 hits from the likes of Specs Jynx's Ice Beam and Specs Poliwrath's Focus Blast (even after rocks), which is what the EVs are for. Technician with Power-Up Punch is solid, and Drain Punch is a strong recovery move.

:ss/Pyukumuku:

So there's been this misconception about defensive teams being bad in the metagame, so I wanted to take a second to talk about it and really showcase how good stall is right now and how the overall playstyle of defensive teams are still extremely viable and more so suffering from lack of exploration and optimization.

1650646119056.png
1650646102322.png
1650646130370.png
1650646139619.png
1650646151245.png
1650646160175.png
(click for the paste)

So this is an example of the stall team I've been playing around with and finding a ton of success with. The tier shift removing Frosmoth, CB Perrserker, and Rest talk Wishiwashi were huge for stalls viability as you really had to go far out of your way to deal with those threats and your grind game vs a Rest talk Wishiwashi was an uphill battle the entire game. And with those shifts resulting in the quick ban of Basculin it was just the cherry on top because that was another threat that you really had to delicately play around with them switching more to Head Smash sets to deal with Articuno. In a single shift stall went from borderline playable to extremely strong.

And these sentiments aren't just shared with stall. Fat teams in general I've found to have a new wave of viability, not only for the same reasons as above, but also because the tiers in an uproar with all the Klinklang teams and defensive teams kind of just get to quietly sit there and and abuse all the people spamming it because all of Klinklangs worst match ups just happen to be fat team staples like Stunfisk and utility Dash which then frees you up to run things like Clefairy or Tanglea that would otherwise get abused by Klinklang with almost no worry.

:klinklang:
On the topic of Klinklang, I think this metagame has a lot of room to grow and the more it does the more we're going to see Klinklang struggling a lot more than it did in the first week post shifts. Personally 90% of my Klinklang usage comes from needing an Alcremie check as opposed to it actually being this meta defining/ unhealthy threat. You can just build offense like this where you're not running mons that let it set up for free and have a mon in the back that can take a +1 gear grind and then you're fine. Properly built offense shouldn't fold to Klinklang and fat teams and even a lot of balance teams can just take a free ride against it if you're just aware it exists.

Last edited:

viet noa

is a Pre-Contributor
I'm going to be trying to get good replays showing off this Pokémon, because I think it has a legitimate niche in the metagame right now.

e62c119698359f87d65963c35f2663ce.gif

:bw/luxray:

Luxray @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Protect
- Fire Fang

With the rampant success of physical attackers, Luxray's Intimidate complements its extremely valuable type to check said breakers. Because of that, it potentially has good versatility as a defensive pivot. ToxTect lets it play the long game versus switch-ins like Rhydon and Stunfisk, and Fire Fang is a general coverage move for Froslass and other Fire-weak mons.

From my experience playing it so far, it really appreciates having cleric support from Clefairy, Articuno, and/or others. Status is a big issue for Luxray, because its lack of instant recovery means that status is a bigger jab at its longevity. It also loves Wish support, and with experimentation with Clefairy and other Wish passers going on, that's not something out of the question.

I think Luxray can shine in a similar way to Wishiwashi and Type-Null. It's a general defacto physical wall, and can easily pivot or spam Toxic as a result of that. Its typing is valuable for Klinklang, Manectric, and even some niche breakers like Silvally-Flying. I'll do my best to optimize the mon, and try to build good cores and teams around it. Luxray, despite all of its flaws, might just have a legitimate role as a physically defensive pivot.
-1 252 Atk Black Belt Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Luxray: 127-151 (34.8 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Luxray: 126-150 (34.6 - 41.2%) -- approx. 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Froslass Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Luxray: 120-144 (32.9 - 39.5%) -- approx. 100% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Thwackey Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Luxray in Grassy Terrain: 102-121 (28 - 33.2%) -- 34.6% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery
+1 252+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Luxray: 145-172 (39.8 - 47.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Here are some team ideas I have built around Luxray:
Klinklang + Eggy Balance :luxray::articuno::poliwrath::rhydon::klinklang::exeggutor:
Thwackey Terrain BO :luxray::clefairy::cramorant::silvally::thwackey::dugtrio-alola:
Wish Passing Stall :luxray::spiritomb::pyukumuku::clefairy::articuno::miltank:

Last edited:
:ss/malamar: :ss/lurantis:

With fat teams making a comeback, Contrary sweepers are on a heavy rise for their ability to just brute force past their way through balance teams and really challenges a lot of the fundamental cores people have been relying on for months.

Malamar is able to pretty much roll past most balance teams that haven't adjusted for its presence in the meta that lack Alcremie (examples like this game and this game). Until PU hopefully gives us Aromatisse, Malamar is going to be a force that's going to demand adjustment to cores around it existing so if you're not prepped for it or not using it, nows the time to change that.

Lurantis on the other hand does a lot of what malamar does but with less extremes and more utility. There was a misconception about the mon that it needed an Articuno lure or to run Knock Off in order to get through it. However we can see from games like this game and this game that you just break it through clicking super power. And with Articuno not an answer, the pool of mons that actually switch into this and deal with it are extremely minimal. However Lurantis does some interesting things aside from just being a win condition. You can opt to run Aromatherapy to better deal with bulky teams spamming toxic to try and keep the damage to a minimum which not only helps it with its own win condition but it helps pair with things like Rapidash or Stunfisk to clear toxics off them which can be game changing in some match ups. You can also opt to run Defog and be on of the only removal options that can switch into and defog on Rhydon which is super good to have as an option. And as long as you run enough speed for Alcremie, you also beat it in a set up war even if you switch into a CM so it even gives you freedom to get away from Klinklang as your Alcremie answer which can help building feel less narrow. Also have some bonus games: 1, 2.

Now with that said, here are some of my under rated picks for the metagame that I think have a lot of potential to come in and really answer how this meta has been trending to these past few weeks.

:spiritomb:

While once seen as just a stall staple that struggled to find its way onto anything else, I've both had and seen a lot of success with balance teams opting for Spiritomb as their fighting resist for the sole reason that it gives you a solid answer to Malamar as well as just gives you a very comfortable match up into any non Alcremie balance teams. It'd really recommend people get used to picking this mon up and playing around with it because it ends up being a baby Malamar in a lot of match ups that frees you from the burden of actually dealing with other Malamars while fitting very comfortably as apart of your defensive core to abuse the fighting types and walls like Altaria, Articuno, Miltank, Stunfisk ect. Its also a set up mon that doesn't care at all about Sableye encore which is very appealing in its own right.

:rotom:

We've seen a steady a move away from Scarf being the best set for Rotom but with how things are going, Trick has become an incredibly useful tool to help combat these bulky set up sweepers as well as cripple Stunfisk which has become a linchpin for a lot of defensive teams. I think Scarf is by far the best meta choice right now to be looking at for Rotom.

:golbat:

I've been spamming Golbat games for the past day and a half and I've loved every second of it. The classic Super Fang, Taunt, Toxic, Roost still does what its known for of breaking balance teams but this sets love this meta where Stunfisk is the most popular rocker because its really easy to defog on it which keeps its SR weakness as something you're able to play around. But the real beauty of this mon is its ability to wall both Malamar and Lurantis which takes a lot of pressure of your team. You do need to keep your Eviolite intact for Lurantis which can be a bit of a pain but its doable. This mon definitely needs a lot to keep it working but the pay off can definitely be worth it if you play smart with it

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)