np: SV UU Stage 2 - Atomic Karate

Status
Not open for further replies.
1675291018628.png

I don't think I've ever been more angry at a single amount of damage in my life. A super effective 90 base power attack that barely breaks 92% AT BEST.

252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Iron Hands: 404-476 (78.9 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If there was going to be a candidate for the mon I was most wary of dropping to UU, and feared what would happen when it did, this was it.

yeah no i didnt make my point clear enough

please ban this fucking thing

Last edited:
Woop woop, the rain's gone, the sun's here! UU is feeling more and more like a monthly weather report.

Due to Pelipper being out and Sun having Scovillain, I'm expecting what were once staples against rain such as Gastrodon & Quagsire to take a heavy hit. I've been experimenting with ways to counter Sun, and my immediate thought was using Flash Fire... And hey, we have a Flash Fire user in Armarouge! And its defenses aren't completely disgusting either, so why not use a CM set but make it bulky?

this is fine. (Armarouge) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Energy Ball/Iron Defense
- Stored Power/Psychic
- Flamethrower

Not every sun user uses fire, but Armarouge has the advantage of also threatening Slither Wing thanks to its Dual Stab hitting it supereffectively on both stats. Otherwise, this is a standard CM + Stored Power set. Energy Ball is here to give Sandy a good smack on switch-ins, though you could arguably run Iron Defense instead for moar Stored Power stats. Meanwhile Psychic just immediately smacks Iron Hands if you hate it that much, and OHKOs it after a CM boost.

This needs more testing, but I think I'm onto something :sphearical:

Queen of Bean

is a Community Contributor
UUPL Champion
:sv/iron hands:
i wanted to share my thoughts on the new broken in uu iron hands!
please ban rion hands ASAP, this pokemon dies to absolutely nothing in one hit (barring like espeon which is sorta not the best) and deals incredible damage back,it can absolutely bop most of the meta with one of its stabs or one of its many excellent coverage moves, it even has volt switch for pivoting and drain punch to stay healthy. both swords dance and assault vest sets are really good, assault vest letting it take measly amount of damage from things like gengar shadow ball and gastrodon earth power.the swords dance set is still almost unkillable on the physical side, healing up with drain punch and leftovers, and with the majority of our strong breakers being physical attackers, this doesnt bode well for teambuilding.
one of the only good checks to both of these sets in their current iterations is quagsire, which im sure some iron hands will run tera grass to break past (also close combat has a 98% chance to 2hkoe quaggles with a spike up).this pokemon also pairs really well with scream tail, passing wishes to iron hands so it can be even more immortal. in conclusion i dont think iron hands has any place in this meta and please ban it soon :3 (also what does np mean lol).

0 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Iron Hands: 176-210 (34.4 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 122-146 (23.8 - 28.5%) -- 97.3% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 133-157 (26 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Iron Hands: 314-372 (61.4 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Tera Normal Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 301-355 (58.9 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Scream Tail Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 84-98 (16.4 - 19.1%) -- possible 6HKO
16+ Atk Iron Hands Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gastrodon: 165-195 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
16+ Atk burned Iron Hands Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 159-187 (44.2 - 52%) -- 15.2% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Iron Hands Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery
16+ Atk Iron Hands Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scream Tail: 260-306 (59.9 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

A replay or two: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1789547531
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1789651776-9wb97bw4bxm3w2z0ijbkam02bmp1i0wpw
:psycry:

Last edited:

Melt Gibson

planting gardens in the potholes
is a Forum Moderator

Okay, I know that we're waiting a bit before doing any bans, but please, for the love of god, get rid of Iron Hands. Nothing kills it in one hit without using your Tera slot or having to rely on a mon that's not great (like Espeon) or forcing a good mon into a worse set (running Specs Garde). Specs Gengar needs three layers of Spikes. Three. You think your bulky Ground such as Palossand, Hippowdon, or even Gastrodon or Quagsire is going to live? SD and Band are just salivating at the chance to prove you wrong. Max HP and Defense Palossand takes, at absolute minimum, with no boosts from Band, Swords Dance, or Quark Drive, 34 to 40%! This is a one in three shot, considering that Assault Vest is only one of three viable sets this thing has managed to establish in less than 24 hours.

252+ Atk Iron Hands Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palossand: 128-152 (34.2 - 40.6%) -- 49.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Quark Drive Iron Hands Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palossand: 168-198 (44.9 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Hands Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palossand: 192-228 (51.3 - 60.9%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Iron Hands Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palossand: 256-302 (68.4 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Iron Hands Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 145-172 (34.5 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Quark Drive Iron Hands Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 190-225 (45.2 - 53.5%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Quark Drive Iron Hands Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 285-336 (67.8 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Quark Drive Iron Hands Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 379-447 (90.2 - 106.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Keep in mind, Hippo doesn't even want to be running PhysDef right now. Rain is done, but the big things that it wants to tank are still Special, so this scenario is probably even worse.

Did I mention the diversity in movepool? Wild Charge or Thunder Punch for Electric STAB isn't the best, but Close Combat to just steam anything that isn't a ghost, Drain Punch to stay healthy, Volt Switch to act as a slow pivot, and Play Rough, Earthquake, Ice Punch, and Heavy Slam all ready to act as excellent coverage moves, two of which can gain STAB through some of Iron Hands' best Tera types, Ground and Fairy. Frankly, just about any Tera that removes your Ground weakness serves you well in making this thing even more unkillable. Speaking of never ever dying, you wanna make that even more of a problem? Assault Vest is right there! Wanna ensure that nothing is a switch-in to you? Band is your bestie. Wanna do both, kinda? Drain Punch SD with Booster or Lefties.

It's so insanely not fun to play around and I would really love to see it gone sooner rather than later.

:sv/iron hands:
i wanted to share my thoughts on the new broken in uu iron hands!
please ban rion hands ASAP, this pokemon dies to absolutely nothing in one hit (barring like espeon which is sorta not the best) and deals incredible damage back,it can absolutely bop most of the meta with one of its stabs or one of its many excellent coverage moves, it even has volt switch for pivoting and drain punch to stay healthy. both swords dance and assault vest sets are really good, assault vest letting it take measly amount of damage from things like gengar shadow ball and gastrodon earth power.the swords dance set is still almost unkillable on the physical side, healing up with drain punch and leftovers, and with the majority of our strong breakers being physical attackers, this doesnt bode well for teambuilding.
one of the only good checks to both of these sets in their current iterations is quagsire, which im sure some iron hands will run tera grass to break past (also close combat has a 98% chance to 2hkoe quaggles with a spike up).this pokemon also pairs really well with scream tail, passing wishes to iron hands so it can be even more immortal. in conclusion i dont think iron hands has any place in this meta and please ban it soon :3 (also what does np mean lol).

0 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Iron Hands: 176-210 (34.4 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 122-146 (23.8 - 28.5%) -- 97.3% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 133-157 (26 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Iron Hands: 314-372 (61.4 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Punk Rock Tera Normal Toxtricity Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 301-355 (58.9 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Scream Tail Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 84-98 (16.4 - 19.1%) -- possible 6HKO
16+ Atk Iron Hands Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gastrodon: 165-195 (38.7 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
16+ Atk burned Iron Hands Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 159-187 (44.2 - 52%) -- 15.2% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Iron Hands Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery
16+ Atk Iron Hands Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scream Tail: 260-306 (59.9 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

A replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1789547531 :psycry:
You look like the Monkey King who is pinned under the Five Fingers Mountain of Iron Hands.
OH he has only three fingers, lol

Also what's funny is that Glaceon mgiht be a great partner for Pawmot since it can remove the Ground Types that would otherwise threaten Pawmot, mainly Gastrodon and Quagsire, while Pawmot can check the Rock and Steel Types that Glaceon usually struggles to handle
Actually i think some Pawmots are going to start Running Seed Bomb over Revival Blessing to hit those 2

Actually i think some Pawmots are going to start Running Seed Bomb over Revival Blessing to hit those 2
Mine does! Excellent tool to lure them.

Ran some calcs, and Tera-Ice Punch with Iron Fist and a Jolly Nature might also have some merit to outspeed and cleanly OHKO Non-scarved Sandy Shocks.

Guys! Espeon is here to save the day!

252+ SpA Choice Specs Espeon Psychic vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Iron Hands: 488-576 (108.6 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:row:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Psychic Espeon Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 432-512 (84.3 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Or, if you are a sane human:

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera Psychic Espeon Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Iron Hands: 396-468 (77.3 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Godspeed if this thing teras.

The juggernaut is free and it's ready to throw hands.

I’d like to start a non-hands discussion. Has anyone noticed the increased use in magnezone? Are people building with it with things like Gengar that would like Tink dead? I’m curious because I played maybe 5-10 games a day in January and never saw a Magnezone.

FREAKING ROBOTIC FAT GUY
Either:

- Nerf Urself
- get the HECK outta my home
- also does it survive gallade's scarf psycho cut?

FREAKING ROBOTIC FAT GUY
Either:

- Nerf Urself
- get the HECK outta my home
- also does it survive gallade's scarf psycho cut?
252 Atk Sharpness Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Hands: 314-372 (69.9 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

where is the UU council? i have uhh... a request to make

I’d like to start a non-hands discussion. Has anyone noticed the increased use in magnezone? Are people building with it with things like Gengar that would like Tink dead? I’m curious because I played maybe 5-10 games a day in January and never saw a Magnezone.
I’ve been using balloon mag on every single team I used in UU (1) and I find it useful, it traps Tink well and is globally a good tool to force Quag out, os Scream tail, Tera grass to laugh at Gastrodon...

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
Obligatory ban Hands call —

Been trying a lot of fun little sun tweaks, it's really scary to face rn imo with Slither Wing being even stronger, and Sandy Shocks effectively getting a free specs boost. A little mon I wanna shoutout to use on sun is Brute Bonnet, if you've seen Mimikyu Stardust's sun team for OU, you can effectively run a budget version in UU rn and it's so good, particularly if you want to bait Talonflames and beat them to let Slither Wing clear teams. My other UU team (that I can't run at present bc it gets absolutely cooked by dumb Hands) struggles a bit with bulky waters/grounds, so being able to just spam Bullet Seed with Bonnet is so fun and cathartic.

Anyway, set is below for those of you willing to try it:

:sv/brute bonnet:

ungabungaboongus (Brute Bonnet) @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Tera Blast
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch

(credits to mimikyu stardust for this heat)

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
IMO Iron Hands has got to go ASAP. It's stayed long enough and to me is clearly broken. I do two things in this post - talk through some games showing why I think Iron Hands is broken and then talk more generally about how Iron Hands lacks sufficient counterplay compared to other top UU threats.

The argument and the games

:iron hands:

The stats are just absurd - it's bulkier than 252/0 Scream Tail on the physical side without a single EV in HP or Defense. It matches up far too well with most of the metagame with the Substitute + SD + Drain Punch + Ice Punch Tera Flying set alone, to say nothing of adding an extra move like Thunder Punch.

It can scare out basically any single physical attacker in the tier if we don't include Tera except like Donphan, Mimikyu, Gallade and Talonflame. Only Talonflame is particularly common, obviously none of these can hope to reliably switch into Iron Hands, and of course the strongest one, Talonflame, has the worst MU vs Iron Hands who doesn't even need Electric stab to kill it - it can just SD up and start killing Talon through the burn.

In this game, the opponent is basically dead by turn 6:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1791139140-lo4jk14u27506915xf7bx8z7tswo5g2pw

1675478794495.png

Okay, they didn't know Tera flying sub was set. We shouldn't punish Iron Hand for the opponent's ignorance. But is it reasonable for the game to basically end that early because they tried to use an otherwise good Iron Hand counter? I don't think so, the fact that Iron Hand can abuse it's counters so badly reminds me of Hydreigon dunking on whatever fairy type by using Tera Steel.

Is this a one off, a team that just happens to get dunked on by the set?

Not quite - basically every time you use Quagsire to try and counter Iron Hand, you are going to get wrecked, you're just wasting way too much time giving it free turns.

See this game: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1791156835

A semi stall team with CB Iron Hands makes absurd progress vs my team at first, which has extremely good countermeasures to Iron Hand (Scream, Gastro and Bramble) - granted it had to get an important early Freeze and a good predict on turn 11 for this to happen but nevertheless, it's just doing an extreme amount of work.

That is until it runs into...my own Iron Hands! Which proceeds to really just dismantle the opposing team. You can say the opponent's tera was a bit premature - the likely Fairy tera Altaria would have been good safety. But it wasn't a strictly bad tera , he clearly tried to kill the last threat I had and go for the win, there was obviously no "safe" option for him, Altaria was not yet Tera'd and can't risk dying to Ice Punch.

Whoops.

1675478882874.png

And in goes my Iron Hands, abusing his Blissey so badly he never, ever really can keep it in or else my Iron Hand gets a free sub and does way too much damage. For example it abuses it on turn 32, and again I can sacrifice the Brambleghast very freely vs Blissey in the sequence in the early turn 40s because I know Iron Hands will come in and wreck the opponent.

That's how powerful it is, I am happily sacking my pokemon and my opponent is very hesitant to get the KO on Bramble just because I want to get in Iron Hands safely.

Alright. Fine you say.

What about a less than ideal MU - sub flying Iron Hands after all is designed to get a maximum matchup vs Quagsire. What happens if they don't have Quagsire?

This is what happens
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1791304787

Revenge killers like Lokix which revenges most sweepers in our tier can't penetrate Iron Hands bulk. Gengar which often revenges fighting types couldn't do enough damage either. Donphan which you might think would beat the physical Electric can't hope to counter given Ice Punch and EQ hitting Iron Hand's enormous bulk. And most impressively - the burn from Talonflame didn't even stop Iron Hands from sweeping. Who cares, just SD again and you are still at a boost.

Okay, obviously they made some mistakes like sacking Donphan hoping it would outspeed and the initial U-turn turn 26 was just a prediction that didn't work out. But these mistakes had logic to them, it's not like they were 100% wrong moves like clicking Hydro Pump when Surf is a 100% KO.

Moreover, the opponent did plenty of things right and they basically had to throw their entire team to get rid of an Iron Hands. This just screams the traditional "too strong/OP broken" and means for me Iron Hands should be banned.

These games did not all feature the best Iron Hand counter play though.

So what Iron Hands counter play is there?

Defensively, there's a few things

The bulky grounds: Hippowdon, Palossand, Quagsire and Gastrodon
The bulky flying types: Altaria, Talonflame and Salamence
The ghost grass: Brambleghast
The psychics/fairies: Scream Tail, Florges, Sylveon, (Tera) Altaria, (Tera) Slowbro/king, (tera) Salamence

Let's be super generous to people who want to keep Iron Hands in the tier and only look at one set, the one I used, Punching Gloves sub sd with Ice Punch and Drain punch.

Brambleghast does essentially nothing vs you and Altaria and Salamence obviously risk getting OHKOd so they are awful checks (but Alt can probably burn you at least).

Hippo and Palo take too much from +2 Ice Punch and can't OHKO back so they lose if they try to counter you although they can beat you 1v1 not including tera. Same for Gastro except it fears Drain more.

quagsire is interesting, it does get owned very badly as discussed above but it at least forces Iron Hands to tera if it's Unaware.

Scream Tail is our most relevant fairy and does very well against Iron Hands with a faster encore and taking zilch from Drain Punch. The Tera fairies all do extremely well versus Iron Hands but of course require an entire tera type to win - a tera type that was seen, but not particularly standard on any of these mons prior to Iron Hands might I add. Note that Slowbro/Slowking don't actually want to tera here because this set lacks an electric move but Slowking might actually lose to Iron Hands still since it doesn't break subs with Surf and Hands can tera it's weakness to Psychic away. Slowbro should be safer with Iron Press though.

Talonflame can generally burn Iron Hands but that may not be enough, as it's standard Flare Blitz / Brave Bird struggles to break even Iron Hands sub, and he can just SD away after getting burned to restore it's attack.

So out of this we have...Scream Tail and ID Slowbro are reliable counters to a SINGLE Iron Hands set and SINGLE tera type. It could CB Heavy Slam Screamy for a KO if he really wanted to using another set and obviously Slowbro fears Electric moves in general.

All of the other Pokemon either rely on Tera, which you simply can't rely on for a top threat in this meta, or generally lose if they try to switch in.

I mean this is still a bit better counter play than NP Sub Flash Cannon steel Hydreigon - which could easily flinch Blissey / annihilate Tinkaton so you had next to nothing honestly for it (Croc??).

But that point is made much weaker when you consider 1) Hydreigon was absurdly broken anyways and 2) the offensive counter play to Iron Hands is much shallower than for Hydreigon.

Like seriously how are you revenging or even pressuring this mon bar ridiculously strong Psychic/Fairy moves, none of which are easy to fit on teams usually. I suppose there is Sandy Shocks too but none of these things ever want to deal with a +2 healthy Iron Hands because it can just Drain Punch a ton of health back. The even bigger issue is that Iron Hands can set up/threaten on so many common physically offensive threats - Tinkaton most notably but also Tyranirar, Bisharp, Magnezone (special!), Staraptor, etc. Just so many strong attackers that don't normally let massive threats in but they simply do let Iron Hands in because of how ridiculously bulky it is.

Again, all of this is with respect to a single Iron Hands set, which may not even be it's best set to be blunt (although I'd bet it is).

So this is why Iron Hands should be banned - it's way too strong and bulky, it's bulk prevents our ability to properly revenge it and it gives Iron Hands too many opportunities to come in. The counterplay it does have is very abusable and Iron Hands can beat what it wants to and it's just far too dominant.

Melt Gibson

planting gardens in the potholes
is a Forum Moderator
I (and many others) have already made a post regarding why Iron Hands is the dumbest shit ever, so let's talk about something else for a moment. Specifically...

:scovillain: A Deep Dive Into Scovillain :scovillain:

Scovillain @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Tera Type: Rock/Ice/Fire
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain/Solar Beam/Leaf Storm
- Tera Blast/Protect
- Growth

Sun has given us an interesting new tool! While the stat spread of 65/108/65/108/65/75 may seem underwhelming at first, the Red Hot Chili Peppers fanboy has more to him than meets the eye. Sun doubles his speed thanks to Chlorophyll, meaning that 216 Timid allows you to outspeed even Scarf Gengar, a massively important benchmark.

Fire/Grass, although it presents itself as a typing rife with disadvantages such as a weakness to Stealth Rock, as well as a weakness to Flying and the inability to hit Dragon types, does actually offer Scovillain some very unique boons. The threat of Grass moves allows Scovillain to scare out many of the defensive Ground types that are common within the tier, such as Hippowdon, Gastrodon, and Quagsire, and present itself with an opportunity to set up using Growth, which offers a staggering +2 Special Attack in Sun. In addition to this, even without Growth providing a sizeable boost, STAB Fire Blast in Sun with Life Orb possesses nuclear levels of power, even more so if you choose to opt in to Tera Fire. For example...

252 SpA Life Orb Scovillain Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Haxorus in Sun: 205-242 (69.9 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Scovillain Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Haxorus in Sun: 409-482 (139.5 - 164.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Scovillain Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 12 SpD Salamence in Sun: 183-216 (46.5 - 54.9%) -- 66% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Scovillain Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 12 SpD Salamence in Sun: 364-429 (92.6 - 109.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Scovillain Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Noivern in Sun: 183-217 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Scovillain Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Noivern in Sun: 368-433 (118.3 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Scovillain Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame in Sun: 209-246 (58.2 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Scovillain Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame in Sun: 417-491 (116.1 - 136.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Scovillain Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Armarouge in Sun: 183-217 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Scovillain Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Armarouge in Sun: 368-433 (118.3 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

A large number of Fire resists are not safe switchins to Scovillain, even before the boost from Growth, due to the effects of Sun. While it is susceptible to priority, or other methods of revenge killing once Sun turns have run out, piloting said answer into a position where it has the opportunity to kill Scovillain is difficult without a dedicated answer such as Tyranitar.

Another option to defeat Scovillain's checks, mostly being Flying types that have resistances to Fire, is to choose Tera Rock or Ice. Ice will leave you less open to things that would act as conventional switch ins to Rock, such as Sandy Shocks, Quagsire, Gastrodon, and Hippowdon, while Rock allows you to have a more consistent way to kill Talonflame and removes your weakness to Stealth Rock. While most of the aforementioned switchins to Tera Blast Rock do have to fear being hit with Fire Blast, Scovillain's Grass STAB, or both, they may still be able to afford coming in as a prediction after the Tera type is revealed, so caution is heavily advised.

Grass STAB is most likely the biggest choice you can make for your Scovillain set, and will heavily impact how you play with it and manage to navigate it into the game. Solar Beam, while powerful and without immediate drawbacks, emphasizes Scovillain's reliance on Sun to function well, and can be baited easily with the common availability of Sand setters such as Hippowdon or Tyranitar, allowing the opponent to exploit Scovillain for a free turn. Leaf Storm offers a similar power level to Solar Beam without relying on Sun, but will end up forcing Scovillain to switch or lose the boost it has obtained via Growth, sometimes at inopportune moments. Lastly, Giga Drain, while providing the benefit of keeping Scovillain healthy amongst stray hits, hazards, and Life Orb recoil, can sometimes be lacking in power against stronger walls. All three have their draws and faults to keep in mind when deciding which to use.

Protect over Tera Blast is also an option if not using Tera as a method to kill common Scovillain checks, as it allows you a way to prevent Scovillain from being killed by priority, namely First Impression from Lokix and Slither Wing, and will overall serve to aid in Scovillain's longevity throughout the course of the game.

However, despite the immense power it holds, Scovillain has a select few crucial weaknesses that are essential to keep in mind. A weakness to Stealth Rock and general lack of any useful bulk make it difficult to put in the driver's seat, while a reliance on Sun means it will only fit on very specific team archetypes, and relies on teammates such as Torkoal and Sandy Shocks to do its job well, if at all. Lacking Chlorophyll puts it at a pitiful base 75 Speed, and strips it of its ability to kill even resists with Fire Blast, and makes it an easy target for most of the metagame's premier offensive threats.

All factors considered, Scovillain is a very all or nothing mon that serves to give UU Sun teams the biggest portion of their oomph alongside Protosynthesis users such as Sandy Shocks or Slither Wing, and can be a frightening prospect once the difficult task of getting it in safely is complete.

Is sticky or sdrain Gastro don better rn?
Given rain is dead and I haven't seen water type users in the tier for a long time due to Scovillain running rampant in sun, sticky might be the superior option imo. May need more feedback.

On a side note, I've been using again the new arrival Pawmot, and I find out Tera Flying + Volt Absorb is an effective way of baiting and countering Iron Hands, the current meta's cancer!

Big Pawmi!!! (Pawmot) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Tera-Flying allows you to dodge Earthquake, which a Hands will almost always pack and try to use. It will then try to click on Electric STAB, only for you to absorb it with impunity while you close combat it to oblivion. Flying also gives some neat Fighting resistance to hammer the nail further down. Close Combat is a 2-3HKO anyways depending on Hands' level of investment.

Flying Tera is really fun because with Volt Absorb, you only become weak to Rock and Ice; the former's best carrier is most likely TTar who will crumble before a Close Combat, while I haven't seen much of the latter besides maybe the odd Abomasnow or three, or like Ice Shard Donphan. The fourth move is flexible, but Ice Punch is a neat tool to play the same trick on Sandy Shocks and 2HKO it.

Example Replay

Have you guys found other ways to counter Hands recently?

Following pokemonisfun post I also would like to share my thoughts on Iron Hands which is the most problematic drop we got imo.
I've been messing with a set quite similar to the one posted by pif, I'm personally using Sub + SD + dual STAB (Drain Punch + Thunder Punch) alongside Tera Fairy and it's really able to win games on its own. Iron Hands is imo way too bulky for a threat with that much offensive prowess. This Pokémon has insane stats overall and Terastallization is a fantastic tool on it thanks to its great bulk. I think it's one of those Pokémon where you can slap a ton of great Tera types which makes it really hard to deal with. Tera Fairy, Tera Flying, Tera Ghost or Tera Water are all great and allows Iron Hands to use its massive bulk extremely well and to circumvent some of its weaknesses/checks. There isn't a lot of answers to it and I've seen a resurgence of Encore Scream Tail in order to check SD/Sub+SD variants but Scream Tail can be abused by Iron Hands thanks to Heavy Slam (which is a great asset especially on AV sets). Talking about versatility, Tera types are not the only thing you can adjust on Iron Hands, it also has a good chunk of great sets. SD + 3 Attack, Sub + SD, AV sets are all great and all of them can run different moves when some can adjust their item. Iron Hands can indeed be played with Leftovers, Punching Glove or Energy Booster on its SD variants which makes it quite tough to punish overall. While I enjoy a lot those kind of bulky offensive Pokémon I can't deny the fact that Iron Hands is one of the greatest (if not the greatest) threat in the current tier and may be a bit too much. It's still quite early but I wouldn't personally be opposed to vote on it. Especially with the ongoing UU Masters.

Last but not least, heres the set I was talking at the beginning of this post :

Iron Hands @ Leftovers
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 128 Atk / 252 SpD / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)