Metagame np: SV DOU Stage 4.20: Do I Wanna Know? | Arcticblast Remains Free :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Do I wanna know?
If this feeling flows both ways?
Sad to see you go
Was sorta hoping that you'd stay
Baby, we both know
That the nights were mainly made
For saying things that you can't say tomorrow day

In the recent tiering survey, respondents had only one name on the tip of their tongue when writing comments, but rather than a Pokemon it was a user: Arcticblast.

First joining Smogon in 2008, Arcticblast has been playing competitive Pokemon for longer than some people on this site have been alive (cough zoe cough). Underneath the appearance of a harmless nerd, however, lies an unquenchable thirst for power. In the past this has taken Arctic to the heights of being OM/DOU Leader and Super Moderator, though now he prefers a slightly more laidback role where he can rule more from the shadows.

The most well-known work of Arcticblast's doing is the infamous 'Skymin Incident', where one Shaymin-Sky was unfairly banned from DOU in generation 6. Instead of correctly requiring a 60% supermajority for a ban for to go through, Arctic fooled the so-called "free thinkers" of the doubles community into accepting a ban based on a 51% majority requirement instead. Arctic's hatred for his mortal enemy, an actually good Grass-type, was so much that he nefariously rigged the deck against it, ironically enough, without flinching. Thankfully, this injustice has since been reversed, but Arctic has still shown no signs of remorse for his serious misuse of power.

Arcticblast's influence can also been seen elsewhere, more subtly, such as in DPL. For starters, he has managed in 5/9 editions including the current one, second only to Memoric's 6 seasons in charge. Unlike Memoric, however, Arctic is one of the 8 managers to win DPL thus far, but is also behind the only case of the same franchise winning multiple trophies, with his Santalune Storms also winning under fespy's tutelage. In DPL IX, Arctic has his fingers in as many pies as possible to ensure he comes out on top yet again: despite managing the Cratermakers, Arctic's old franchise of the Santalune Storms are still running, his username connects him thematically to the Cold Crew, his profile picture is literally the Sp_ndas' mascot, and there is a suspected link between Arctic and the Church as well. Like a bad smell spreading across the room, fartic has gone too far and must be replaced with someone fresh.

Like the bad Grass-types he is known for loving, Arcticblast used to have a plethora of weaknesses, but he has now adapted to a point where the community can no longer reliably check him. Arctic is a former League of Legends player, but has since reformed with no signs of relapsing anytime soon, improving his mental wellbeing. Arctic has also recently shown that he is not just a Crusty Old Player, currently being in losers finals of seasonals. Despite being an avid card game player, Arctic also actually washes himself, removing hygiene as another would-be counter. This leaves the primary form of counterplay as calling him variations on 'Arcticblast' (fartic, atticblorst, artic, arcticblastmyass, etc.) or 'u', though overuse means even these are no longer fully effective.

As payback for wrongfully banning Shaymin-Sky, 51% of the vote must be in favor to ban Arcticblast, as opposed to the usual 60%.

Important: For this suspect, there will be three ways to qualify. The first is the typical laddering period, where players must reach the minimum GXE. The second is by winning a live suspect tournament, to be held in the Smogon Doubles Room. You may compete in the suspect tournament on any account, and will need to post proof of you winning the suspect tournament on the voter ID thread. The third is by beating Arcticblast in battle, either on ladder, in DPL, or in a Seasonals set. All three will result in instant qualification, simply post the respective replays in the voter ID thread as proof.

There will be three live suspect tournaments:

Suspect Tournament Times
Saturday, April 1st at 12:00 PM Eastern time (GMT-4)
Sunday, April 2nd at 4:00 PM Eastern time (GMT -4)
Saturday, April 9th at 12:00 PM Eastern time (GMT -4)

The laddering period will last for a total of eight days.

Laddering Period
Start: Saturday, April 1st at 8:00 PM Eastern time (GMT-4)
End: Sunday, April 9th at 8:00 PM Eastern time (GMT-4)

All games must be played on the Pokemon Showdown! Doubles OU ladder on a fresh alt with a prefix of the form “DOUWANNAKNOW [Name]”. For example, I might use the account "DOUWANNAKNOW Yoda" to ladder.

To qualify to vote, you must achieve a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may subtract 1 game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 84. As always, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE is fine.

GXEminimum games

Arcticblast will be legal during this suspect.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
7087D697-2C95-4277-8B20-6A5140CBC5F4.jpeg

As one of the original, true DO NOT BAN voters, it is about time something was done about Arcticblast’s blatant abuse of power during this dark timeline in Doubles history, and during these 8 long years, I have finally acquired the power to nuke Arcticblast from the site.

Rally behind our common cause, DOU community, and LET’S GET IT DONE.

Do I wanna know?
If this feeling flows both ways?
Sad to see you go
Was sorta hoping that you'd stay
Baby, we both know
That the nights were mainly made
For saying things that you can't say tomorrow day

In the recent tiering survey, respondents had only one name on the tip of their tongue when writing comments, but rather than a Pokemon it was a user: Arcticblast.

First joining Smogon in 2008, Arcticblast has been playing competitive Pokemon for longer than some people on this site have been alive (cough zoe cough). Underneath the appearance of a harmless nerd, however, lies an unquenchable thirst for power. In the past this has taken Arctic to the heights of being OM/DOU Leader and Super Moderator, though now he prefers a slightly more laidback role where he can rule more from the shadows.

The most well-known work of Arcticblast's doing is the infamous 'Skymin Incident', where one Shaymin-Sky was unfairly banned from DOU in generation 6. Instead of correctly requiring a 60% supermajority for a ban for to go through, Arctic fooled the so-called "free thinkers" of the doubles community into accepting a ban based on a 51% majority requirement instead. Arctic's hatred for his mortal enemy, an actually good Grass-type, was so much that he nefariously rigged the deck against it, ironically enough, without flinching. Thankfully, this injustice has since been reversed, but Arctic has still shown no signs of remorse for his serious misuse of power.

Arcticblast's influence can also been seen elsewhere, more subtly, such as in DPL. For starters, he has managed in 5/9 editions including the current one, second only to Memoric's 6 seasons in charge. Unlike Memoric, however, Arctic is one of the 8 managers to win DPL thus far, but is also behind the only case of the same franchise winning multiple trophies, with his Santalune Storms also winning under fespy's tutelage. In DPL IX, Arctic has his fingers in as many pies as possible to ensure he comes out on top yet again: despite managing the Cratermakers, Arctic's old franchise of the Santalune Storms are still running, his username connects him thematically to the Cold Crew, his profile picture is literally the Sp_ndas' mascot, and there is a suspected link between Arctic and the Church as well. Like a bad smell spreading across the room, fartic has gone too far and must be replaced with someone fresh.

Like the bad Grass-types he is known for loving, Arcticblast used to have a plethora of weaknesses, but he has now adapted to a point where the community can no longer reliably check him. Arctic is a former League of Legends player, but has since reformed with no signs of relapsing anytime soon, improving his mental wellbeing. Arctic has also recently shown that he is not just a Crusty Old Player, currently being in losers finals of seasonals. Despite being an avid card game player, Arctic also actually washes himself, removing hygiene as another would-be counter. This leaves the primary form of counterplay as calling him variations on 'Arcticblast' (fartic, atticblorst, artic, arcticblastmyass, etc.) or 'u', though overuse means even these are no longer fully effective.

As payback for wrongfully banning Shaymin-Sky, 51% of the vote must be in favor to ban Arcticblast, as opposed to the usual 60%.

Important: For this suspect, there will be three ways to qualify. The first is the typical laddering period, where players must reach the minimum GXE. The second is by winning a live suspect tournament, to be held in the Smogon Doubles Room. You may compete in the suspect tournament on any account, and will need to post proof of you winning the suspect tournament on the voter ID thread. The third is by beating Arcticblast in battle, either on ladder, in DPL, or in a Seasonals set. All three will result in instant qualification, simply post the respective replays in the voter ID thread as proof.

There will be three live suspect tournaments:

Suspect Tournament Times
Saturday, April 1st at 12:00 PM Eastern time (GMT-4)
Sunday, April 2nd at 4:00 PM Eastern time (GMT -4)
Saturday, April 9th at 12:00 PM Eastern time (GMT -4)

The laddering period will last for a total of eight days.

Laddering Period
Start: Saturday, April 1st at 8:00 PM Eastern time (GMT-4)
End: Sunday, April 9th at 8:00 PM Eastern time (GMT-4)

All games must be played on the Pokemon Showdown! Doubles OU ladder on a fresh alt with a prefix of the form “DOUWANNAKNOW [Name]”. For example, I might use the account "DOUWANNAKNOW Yoda" to ladder.

To qualify to vote, you must achieve a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may subtract 1 game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 84. As always, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE is fine.

GXEminimum games

Arcticblast will be legal during this suspect.
I for one welcome this new development, hopefully with this suspect everyone will come to realise that Commander doesn´t need to be banned, and that the problem was Articblast all along.

Vote: BAN

PS: Alas I will get my badge, yay.

Btw, if Articblast joined in 2008, does that mean that event caused the 2008 crisis?, coincidence, I think not.

Also, while Diancie is my favourite mon, Manaphy is my second favourite and Shaymin third, justice for Shaymin.

Last edited:

Noelle

Trying my best
is a Community Contributor
Why Arcticblast should NOT be banned from Doubles OU

1680733111702.png

You thought this thread was just an April Fool's joke. You didn't think anyone would actually do it. You were wrong. All of you were wrong. The post never specified what Doubles OU ladder to play on, so I did gen 8 because gen 9 ladder sucks and I do not particularly enjoy losing because my opponent had Tera Electric Tera Blast Garchomp.

Arcticblast is currently a Doubles OU forum mod and a former Doubles OU council member and tier leader. Arcticblast, despite his mistakes, has been a pivotal piece in the development and growth of many a Doubles OU generation. On April 1st 2023, The DOU council has decided that Arcticblast's thirst for power has grown too much for the tier to handle, and suspected Arcticblast. Is Arcticblast truly banworthy? I think not. In order to understand this suspect, we first must ask ourselves why Smogon bans things to begin with

Smogon Bans Explained

Smogon bans things to create a more competitive and fun competitive environment. This means removing elements that are uncompetitive or broken from the metagame. Pokemon don't necessarily have to be completely unbeatable to be banned however. Pokemon that, while they have answers in theory, but heavily restrict the teams that can be used and hinder the development of the metagame are also removed. Keep in mind, Pokemon is still a game about having fun, even if we are playing it competitively. Examining these criteria, is Arcticblast banworthy?

Is Arcticblast Uncompetitive?

Arcticblast is very much competitive. Making appearances in the Doubles OU Winter Seasonal and Doubles Premier League as a manager, they have proven their ability to be a positive competitive presence. As a forum moderator and a moderator in the Doubles OU Discord, they have contributed to the Doubles OU community being a more friendly and welcoming place. Arcticblast is, in short, a healthy presence in Doubles OU currently.

Is Arcticblast Broken?

No. Arcticblast is not broken. Far from it. Arcticblast has, for lack of a better word, pitiful base stats, and loses to common Pokemon such as Chien-Pao, Iron Hands and Palafin. Arcticblast also actively contributes to the development of Doubles OU, posting their own teams to the forums while still playing in Seasonals and DPL, a bold move that even some of the best Doubles OU players wouldn't dare to replicate.

My Experience with Arcticblast

Despite the consensus on Arcticblast is their power hungry nature, I have had nothing but positive experiences with Arcticblast. Arcticblast was the person who approved my DOU Frameworks thread from last generation (Which is now in cryonics, rest in peace), and I have had nothing but positive interactions, both in DMs and in the Doubles OU Discord:
1680734768393.png

(Breaking character here for a second, but this is a joke. I did not actually have to change my status, it was a joke.)

Conclusion

In short, I do not believe Arcticblast should be banned, and that their presence in the Doubles OU meta is nothing short of a positive and perhaps even necessary one. My final verdict on Arcticblast is:

Arcticblast: Do Not Ban

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
Why Arcticblast should NOT be banned from Doubles OU

View attachment 505553
You thought this thread was just an April Fool's joke. You didn't think anyone would actually do it. You were wrong. All of you were wrong. The post never specified what Doubles OU ladder to play on, so I did gen 8 because gen 9 ladder sucks and I do not particularly enjoy losing because my opponent had Tera Electric Tera Blast Garchomp.

Arcticblast is currently a Doubles OU forum mod and a former Doubles OU council member and tier leader. Arcticblast, despite his mistakes, has been a pivotal piece in the development and growth of many a Doubles OU generation. On April 1st 2023, The DOU council has decided that Arcticblast's thirst for power has grown too much for the tier to handle, and suspected Arcticblast. Is Arcticblast truly banworthy? I think not. In order to understand this suspect, we first must ask ourselves why Smogon bans things to begin with

Smogon Bans Explained

Smogon bans things to create a more competitive and fun competitive environment. This means removing elements that are uncompetitive or broken from the metagame. Pokemon don't necessarily have to be completely unbeatable to be banned however. Pokemon that, while they have answers in theory, but heavily restrict the teams that can be used and hinder the development of the metagame are also removed. Keep in mind, Pokemon is still a game about having fun, even if we are playing it competitively. Examining these criteria, is Arcticblast banworthy?

Is Arcticblast Uncompetitive?

Arcticblast is very much competitive. Making appearances in the Doubles OU Winter Seasonal and Doubles Premier League as a manager, they have proven their ability to be a positive competitive presence. As a forum moderator and a moderator in the Doubles OU Discord, they have contributed to the Doubles OU community being a more friendly and welcoming place. Arcticblast is, in short, a healthy presence in Doubles OU currently.

Is Arcticblast Broken?

No. Arcticblast is not broken. Far from it. Arcticblast has, for lack of a better word, pitiful base stats, and loses to common Pokemon such as Chien-Pao, Iron Hands and Palafin. Arcticblast also actively contributes to the development of Doubles OU, posting their own teams to the forums while still playing in Seasonals and DPL, a bold move that even some of the best Doubles OU players wouldn't dare to replicate.

My Experience with Arcticblast

Despite the consensus on Arcticblast is their power hungry nature, I have had nothing but positive experiences with Arcticblast. Arcticblast was the person who approved my DOU Frameworks thread from last generation (Which is now in cryonics, rest in peace), and I have had nothing but positive interactions, both in DMs and in the Doubles OU Discord:
View attachment 505556
(Breaking character here for a second, but this is a joke. I did not actually have to change my status, it was a joke.)

Conclusion

In short, I do not believe Arcticblast should be banned, and that their presence in the Doubles OU meta is nothing short of a positive and perhaps even necessary one. My final verdict on Arcticblast is:

Arcticblast: Do Not Ban
Arcticblast is being investigated for bribery and fraud associated with unfairly gaining "Do Not Ban" votes from community members, jeopardizing the integrity of the suspect test. As a result, the non-Arcticblast mods will be holding a vote on how to best handle this situation. In the meantime, please ignore blatantly false and fabricated propaganda such as the above. Thank you.

First, I have to say this suspect has been extremely poorly managed. I don't blame any one person, but I think it's been another Tour Bro collective fail. I didn't see a separate voter ID thread or voting thread and it seems like some of the people who tried to vote above didn't even post reqs (though probably there's another thread I just missed that has all that). This suspect is also overlapping with this Iron Hands thing, which is really confusing.

As Noelle noted, a DOU ladder was not even specified. I share Noelle's distaste for the current Gen 9 Ladder (imagine taking a Meta seriously enough to do a suspect when the Home drop will radically change everything and could happen at any time), so I went with Gen 7. I know Arcticblast remained legal for the suspect, but I struggled with how to incorporate on my team. I ultimately settled on Mega Abomasnow, which is Grass type and has something of an "arctic blast" with Blizzard.

As for voting, I was initially leaning towards Do Not Ban, because Arcticblast has seemed to be reasonably nice and even worked to save the SM DOU ladder recently, despite apparently not being a fan personally. However, then I read all the stuff the community has been saying and it's all very compelling, and now I think I'm going to vote Ban. This bribery of community members is crazy.. and I wasn't even contacted about that. I would never change my vote for a bribe (but, if I were, hypothetically, open to that, quick banning Rillaboom in Gen 8 would do the trick).

Screen Shot 2023-04-09 at 2.08.17 PM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)