Metagame np: SM UU Stage 10.5 - Water Me (weather test)

Pak

fly higher
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I meant to post this in my UUPL dump way back but forgot so here's this.

1571079298374.png

Celebi @ Psychium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- U-turn

This set probably looks whack on the surface but let me explain. Something I really liked about Scarf Celebi while I used it, aside from the obvious Healing Wish, was its uncanny ability to get goons in good positions on Dragons and Steels. The downside is that it legit could never ever lock into STAB moves. Then it kind of hit me. As seen by its Recover + 2 attack set, Celebi only really needs its STAB moves to be effective. Realistically, you will never hit everything you want to, no matter the combination of moves, and sometimes it results in a huge loss of momentum. In less-than-stellar matchups, Celebi can have a tough time getting the ball rolling. It doesn't make much immediate progress on its own, and that is where U-turn comes in.

As mentioned with Scarf, the positioning U-turn Celebi provides is simply amazing. Especially with rocks up, getting other attackers into favorable positions vs Steels or Dragons can go a long way in applying immediate pressure. Your Rotom-Hs, Volcanions, and Infernapes, etc. vs the former and obviously Fairies vs Hydreigon. Perhaps the most appealing aspect is its ability to lure Latias and chunk it for an easier trap with Scarf Krookodile, as well as other scenarios like a Celebi mirror (honestly dropping 4 Speed EVs might be better to get a slow turn there but I never took the time to fully theorize, Mew makes it more complicated). Anyway, the premise in a nutshell is: U-turn early on to make progress with other mons or remove stuff like Latias, then clean with Celebi later. Another factor that plays into this is that they may expect Scarf, since U-turn is basically unseen otherwise besides dicks rocks sets.

Jarii vs hs, UUPL week 5
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-439596

This is kind of an extreme example since there's a Mandibuzz in 2019, but U-turn's value here is undeniable. It legit doesn't click a single other attack, since it can simply pivot out to CB Terrakion or Rotom-H to put on further pressure. Facing Mandibuzz, Latias, and Mega Aggron, Celebi would ordinarily be near dead weight, but instead it played a large role in handing Jarii the momentum early-on and pretty much for the rest of the game as a result.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
I meant to post this in my UUPL dump way back but forgot so here's this.

View attachment 200904
Celebi @ Psychium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- U-turn

This set probably looks whack on the surface but let me explain. Something I really liked about Scarf Celebi while I used it, aside from the obvious Healing Wish, was its uncanny ability to get goons in good positions on Dragons and Steels. The downside is that it legit could never ever lock into STAB moves. Then it kind of hit me. As seen by its Recover + 2 attack set, Celebi only really needs its STAB moves to be effective. Realistically, you will never hit everything you want to, no matter the combination of moves, and sometimes it results in a huge loss of momentum. In less-than-stellar matchups, Celebi can have a tough time getting the ball rolling. It doesn't make much immediate progress on its own, and that is where U-turn comes in.

As mentioned with Scarf, the positioning U-turn Celebi provides is simply amazing. Especially with rocks up, getting other attackers into favorable positions vs Steels or Dragons can go a long way in applying immediate pressure. Your Rotom-Hs, Volcanions, and Infernapes, etc. vs the former and obviously Fairies vs Hydreigon. Perhaps the most appealing aspect is its ability to lure Latias and chunk it for an easier trap with Scarf Krookodile, as well as other scenarios like a Celebi mirror (honestly dropping 4 Speed EVs might be better to get a slow turn there but I never took the time to fully theorize, Mew makes it more complicated). Anyway, the premise in a nutshell is: U-turn early on to make progress with other mons or remove stuff like Latias, then clean with Celebi later. Another factor that plays into this is that they may expect Scarf, since U-turn is basically unseen otherwise besides dicks rocks sets.

Jarii vs hs, UUPL week 5
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-439596

This is kind of an extreme example since there's a Mandibuzz in 2019, but U-turn's value here is undeniable. It legit doesn't click a single other attack, since it can simply pivot out to CB Terrakion or Rotom-H to put on further pressure. Facing Mandibuzz, Latias, and Mega Aggron, Celebi would ordinarily be near dead weight, but instead it played a large role in handing Jarii the momentum early-on and pretty much for the rest of the game as a result.
can confirm this set is the truth
A71CE7CC-6ED8-407E-A622-BC93B51C2817.jpeg

some other quick points:

1. thank you to everyone that’s been using lorb infernape recently, that mon’s fantastic (don’t forget to use iron fist with tpunch like I did tho)
2. ice fang aero is phenomenal at applying pressure, but aero in general is pretty hard to build with
3. shark is extremely powerful rn, largely due to mimikyu providing a lot of utility to offensive builds, but I’d be excited to see if anyone can stem out from typical lass spikes archetypes with it
4. mew’s best set from my experience is utility with taunt (if you can fit defog elsewhere then taunt/wow/boiled/stoss or knock is very annoying for bo/balance to deal with), haven’t rly been successful with any np variant

there will probably be more at the end of snake that I’ll comment on but I was bored at work so figured I’d spend 10 mins making this post

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Alright, I'm doing this quick post here because I don't know where I can post otherwise ^^
I just would like to say that gen7uu was great overall and I appreciate all the work which was provided by our TL, Moderators and UU Council.
So yeah thanks for all, it wasn't always easy and I think the tier is overall pretty clean at the end. I hope we'll be able to make another great and fun tier to play in gen 8. Hopefully, dynamax will not be that big of a deal. I'm just looking forward to get involved in gen8uu.

UU's community is great and cheerful so I hope this will not change :blobnom:

I’m always skeptical when getting into new tiers/gens, but I’ve had such a good time interacting with the UU community, you guys are by far the most welcoming people I’ve came upon on this site. You definitely have made my time on this site so far super awesome, thank you so much! (Also sorry if this isn’t the best place to post this, but the above posts say otherwise so:mehowth: ) :)

Pak

fly higher
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
1576828974886.png

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
EVs: 240 HP / 4 Def / 168 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Toxic

(context and general rambling)
Very late on this one, but it's 3 am and I can't think of anything better to do. Anyway, at a glance this set looks bad as fuck, but I've messed around with it for a long time now and it actually has some cool applications. It's reminded me of when Dragon Dance really really took off a while after Gliscor left, which alleviated Mega Alt of the usual need to run special sets featuring Ice beam, and people didn't respect it as much of a threat as they should have when it came to building (see myself in SPL cwl). What I mean by this is that a lot of Mega Altaria's effectiveness has historically played off the pre-conceived mainstream sets at the time, and since goons were used to throwing w/e fairy resist into special Alt and being fine, DD sets' ability to snowball only became more and more prevalent. Obviously, the meta has adjusted, and as a result, so has the usual counterplay to Mega Altaria. To capitalize on the initial switches to Mega Altaria these days being Amoonguss and bulky Steels, I've sometimes wanted to switch things up and see what progress mixed Alt could make in the modern meta.

However, every time I've tried mixed (mainly physically based), it's almost always been underwhelming, since once they see the Fire Blast reveal and damage, they can switch in all their stuff like Rotom-H, Hippowdon, Rhyperior, Moltres, Ice Beam Mega Slowbro, even shit like Alomomola. Pretty much all of those just sit on you all day and you make no progress. One time my mixed Alt team was Slowbro weak and that's when it kinda hit me. How often do you even click EQ? Especially considering its usual targets, Tenta/Nihilego/Emp, are never the initial switches to the presumed Dragon Dance sets nowadays. This set, while not entirely optimal in a vacuum, basically plays perfectly off of the assumptions people make on Altaria sets in-game. I can't count all the times that I've led this thing, Fire Blasted the Amoonguss on the switch for 60, then caught a Rotom-H or Molt on the next switch with Toxic. Another common lead mu was Alt vs Hippo, where obviously they think they can set rocks, heal, then phaze in some order, but you essentially neuter their longevity and effectiveness on the spot (same shit with Ice Beam Bro mid-game).

The main partner I liked next to this set was Defog Gligar, which has admittedly fallen off with other meta shifts, but it really takes advantage of some of the stuff this set can lure. Gligar 100% sitting on Hippo is all well and good, but they have more rocks pp and can just phaze, whereas U-turn Gligar can't do anything meaningful in return. Same situation with Rotom-H pretty much: while you cut off their momentum, they Overheat, force you to Roost, and even if that isn't the case, you don't do any damage to them either. If Mega Alt can sling a surprise Toxic on either one, especially Hippowdon (which has picked up over Gligar in more recent times) and even Rhyperior, it's just a ridiculously advantageous position to be in long-term, since you eternally deny them rocks or cut off their momentum and all that.

My EVs aren't anything outrageous as per usual. Near max HP for general bulk and the 4 def lets Alt live Scizor CB BP 100% of the time from full, the Speed creeps Modest max Primarina, and the rest was dumped into SpA. I played around a bit with atk invested Adamant, mainly to help with Latias, but the Fire Blast damage is pretty crucial in immediately pressuring Amoonguss, Aggron, and other stuff more thoroughly. Tox hits Lati too btw xd. Also a strong Hyper Voice is generally cool, considering like I've said, a lot of Fairy resists coming into it are more physically bulky and it hits Hippo/Slowbro and shit hard alongside tox.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)