Metagame NP: RU Stage 12: Wrecking Ball (see post 65 and 66)

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so I finally have been able to play around with most of the new drops, and here's what I think will be their best sets / roles. Feel free to discuss, agree, disagree, etc.

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe OR 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Low Kick
- Double-Edge / Ice Punch

Choice Band Aggron has the potential to 2HKO virtually every Pokemon in the tier with Head Smash alone. The very few exceptions are dealt with by Heavy Slam and Low Kick. Double-Edge provides Aggron with a no-risk move that still has a lot of power behind it (move that is stable and has 100% accuracy) However, if more defensive variants of Torterra start to crop up, you can use Ice Punch to blow them back. The EV spreads depend on what you want Aggron to do outside of smash stuff. The first spread is enough to outspeed Alomomola and 2HKO it with Head Smash. However, max Speed can be used if you want to outspeed Seismitoad and Blastoise (228 is needed for blaster, but you may as well max out Speed at that point) Overall, I see Aggron being a B+ / A rank threat in RU. It decimates slower teams and does have some resistances to work with vs. offensive teams, but it's weak to a lot of common offensive types and its lackluster Special Defense is worrysome. Other sets to consider are Rock Polish and Magnet Rise.
Yo, I haven't had a chance to play this meta at all as I have been prepping for slam which is the meta from November (probably will start trying out this meta tonight), but I honestly see 0 reason to run Double Edge on Aggron. It hits specifically Quagsire and Seismitoad, but only has 7.5 higher BP than a resisted Head Smash. On top of this you still miss out on Bronzong which is avoids the 2hko from all moves even without any Physical Defense investment (though it can only do like 40% back with Earthquake, which it may or may not be running. A set of Heavy Slam / Head Smash / Fire Punch / Low Kick has all the benefits of Double-Edge / Ice Punch (well you head smash toad and quagsire still but thats okay) while fire punch still 2HKOes Torterra and Bronzong, Heavy Slam OHKOes 0/0 Flygon after rocks 100% of the time.

Super exited to try out Aero and Absol tho.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ru-stage-12-suspect-voting.3557760/page-4#post-6558658

Tyrantrum remains RU by the closest vote in RU (all of smogon's?) history. Depending on how the meta changes with the new drops, it is quite possible Tyrantrum will be revisited in the future due to the closeness of this vote, but it will definitely not be this month.

Expect a new NP thread tomorrow, feel free to continue posting about the new meta in this thread in the mean time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)