Metagame NP: NU Stage 16- Toxic

Status
Not open for further replies.

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Introducing some cool mons

Combusken Back sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & White

Tspikes aren't broken, moving on.. I still think there are tons of underused mons or hidden gems ready to be displayed and the above 2 mons are an example. Victreebel, a Poison-type so by default good in NU, carves out a niche of inflicting status, dishing out above average hits but most importantly: beating its own checks. With the combination of Strength Sap and Rocky Helmet, defensive Victreebel is able to beat Golbat, Togedemaru and other checks 1v1. Grassium Z is the mandatory item for the offensive spread as it gives you a safe nuke with Leaf Storm but also gives you +1 Speed with Sleep Powder, some sort of improvised wincon. We know from the Vileplume era that Grass-Poison is difficult to check and Victreebel does a decent job at fulfilling that annoying presence Vileplume had. Other added perks are being a grounden Poison-type and also some nifty calcs like this one: -1 0 Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Victreebel: 186-218 (51.2 - 60%) (15.6 - 18.3% recoil damage (add helmet damage)) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Oh and it also saw usage in grand slam quarters lol: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7nu-457915

Combusken is probably a bit more memey but it works really well with Tspikes. Subtect lefties chicken with dual stabs waits for the Tspikes to be up and proceeds to stall out turns while also getting exponentially faster. Obviously it faces issues from Future Sight Slowking, Golbat (both can kill it through sub), Comfey and probably some more but i feel it's a cool meta pick atm. Beating Incineroar, Heliolisk, stalling out a plethora of mons with Tspikes, and other metagame staples like Steelix and Dhelmise.

Braviary, Protect Sigi and Vikavolt still don't get the usage they deserve. Even Whimsicott is actually not that bad atm. bop

ILoveMilk

Banned deucer.
In an attempt to revive this thread, I'll just give my thoughts on the meta game as the gen comes to a close, and a pokemon I think people should try out. The meta game currently is in my opinion, one of the best NU has had, as there really isn't anything is "broken" or "ruining" the tier and there's quite a lot of viable mons people can use to effectiveness, toxic spikes are quite manageable and every good team should have answers to it, whether through absorbers or hazard control that is able to reliably remove tspikes. It's also quite refreshing to see previously unused mons such as victreebell or silvally-poison being used in response to the rise of toxic spikes, along with the increased usage of offense as a play-style.

Break My Heart (Abomasnow-Mega) @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Protect
Abomasnow with toxic spikes support is insane and is able to break past it's checks like Incineroar and Delphox through hail + poison chip while protect allows it to scout revenge killers such as scarf passimian and togedemaru while also increasing the damage taken through the aforementioned hail and poison. While Ice shard allows you to pick off the weakened pokemon. It's also got alot of bulk, even with a -def nature allowing it to live basically every neutral hit and recover most of the HP back with giga drain. I helped Sjneider build a team that I'll post down below for Snake that helps demonstrate Aboma's ability to break team's with proper support.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7nu-460356

While Toxic Spikes doesn't really come into play in the game, Abomasnow is able to comfortably live a Heliolisk's hyper voice along with passimian's rock slide, and after the Incineroar is dead it claims a kill basically every time it is allowed to switch in. During the end game protect along with the toxic chips down the passimian while also avoiding a 50/50 guessing game in the opponent's favor.

Anyway's that's pretty much it, I'm going to dump my whole builder too since the gen's coming to a close, it's not like Gen7NU will see a lot of play aside from NUPL, and I think it's interesting to see how the meta-game has progressed, from a building standpoint, from the start of the gen to the end, (although the team's are only from end of Snake 1 to now lol). There's alot of interesting ideas that I wanted to use but never really got the chance too in there as well as rough sketches/CT ideas but I'm too lazy to filter them so tough luck.

https://pokepast.es/57250dda9c73f234

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)