Metagame NP: NU Stage 15 - We Are The (Ma)Champions [Sirfetch'd Quickbanned, see post #25]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
With the banning of the strongest Fighting types this tier has seen in the past year and a half, I'd like to take a second to not talk about my deep hatred for Blastoise. Instead, I think it is worth noting the Pokemon who will likely see increased viability due to these bans.

:Passimian:
I want to get the Fighting-types done first. Obviously this thing has been ass for a little bit now due to strong competition in the Scarf department. Choice Band has seen an uptick in usage, but suffers a lot more against common Fighting-type counters like Sylveon, Talonflame, and Vileplume. Scarf sets are still viable, but Band sets may be a better option now that it's the hardest hitting Fighting-type besides the next Pokemon on my list.

:Gallade:
Apparently Psycho Cut isn't a contact move, so this thing can freely Cut through Plume and Talonflame without worrying about status. It has the same Speed tier as Passimian and is capable of running Scarf and Band with little to no issue. Access to Teleport gives it a way to pivot, but isn't always reliable. There really isn't much to say about it other than being a slightly stronger Passimian with a way to beat Vileplume.

:Virizion:
There's like 2 Pokemon who can reliably RKO this thing. It sits on Gvally + Rotom-C as well as the Vapo/Steel/Ground/Talon core. Its high Special Defense allows it to get a free Swords Dance on a lot of Special breakers like Exeggutor-A, Heliolisk, and Specs Decidueye. Roxiee just mentioned in the Discord that they think it'll do a lot in SCL, which is possible.

:Snorlax:
Does anything OHKO this after a Curse? Please ban, thank you.

:Doublade:
Remember this? I doubt you do. It was hyped up a lot before we got it but it fell hard. However, Doublade does really well against the new grouping of Fighting-types, and the tier in general. It's able to hard check Virizion and Sucker Punch Toxicroak while doing really well against Passimian and Gallade. Doublade probably won't see enough usage to have a following, but it has potential now.

:Starmie: :Rotom-mow: :heliolisk:
These three no longer have to worry about getting revenge killed by a duck using First Impression, allowing them to do their job more, especially Starmie.

:Scrafty:
I forgot to put this in the Fighting-type section and I'm too lazy to scroll up to put it there. Similarly to Snorlax, this can set up once or twice and be unkillable.

:Mantine:
Machamp isn't here to Facade it and Sirfetch'd can't 2HKO it anymore (was it able to do that in the first place?). Now it stands out as a real Fighting-type check due to their lack of strong coverage moves, though it isn't nearly as good as some of the others.

Picsart_22-08-28_21-43-52-331.jpg

Last edited:

Lilo

formerly Test Techles
is a Tiering Contributor
After two great bans, Mr. Pringles :Jellicent: is back.

With access to reliable recovery, a good movepool and a “fast” taunt, Jelli has potential to hinder a lot of NU mons.
Being able to stop Croak and Vapo was def it’s biggest niche but now without the scrappy fighter running around it should be a bit better.
The basic vapo balance core suffers vs this mon, the core in question being steel vapo muds.

Besides that, I can see the Mummy coming back to haunt us :cofagrigus:
IDPress will-o and rest sounds interesting for sure.

Overall I see a noticeable usage increase on Ghosts and i’m happy to see that happening.

Regarding :Snorlax:, Curse sets will def look harder to beat but I want to see further development before the ban. 1/2 weeks should be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)