np: NU Stage 11 - The End

If Scarfzard becomes really dominant, then Scarf Electabuzz and Tauros are going nowhere. They will just be used to check Charizard not Jynx.

I was never really sold on Scarfzard anyway to be honest. I don't get why it's so highly rated when there are other Scarfers with similar power and speed that aren't crushed by Stealth Rock (like Primeape and Simipour, for example). It's also fairly easily revenge-killed by anything with Sucker Punch or Aqua jet (after rocks). Sure it's good late-game, but so are other Scarfers which can offer more in the mid-game too, because of their ability to come in multiple times throughout the match.
Charizard shouldn't be played as a revenge killer, purely as a late game sweeper. I agree with Noobcubed in the sense that it really isn't a great scarfer. If im sweeping with zard, I would much rather use a LO or Specs due to charizard's noticeably low power when unboosted.

On the otherhand, scarf braviary is cute.

The main selling point of scarfzard is 100 base speed. People started running slower scarfers again and are often caught off-guard. Also 2 switchins are often enough, one for a revenge kill, and the other for cleanup, because Zard is pretty strong in Blaze range, even with scarf. I really feel it's a huge threat atm and running slow scarfers such as Braviary is still a liability. I still can't imagine myself using a scarfer slower than the Rotoms.

I personally foresee great things for Scarf Simipour (which I have always thought underrated). It's similar to Charizard in many ways - comparable Special Attack (granted, it is a little weaker), a single extra speed point, a 120 base power STAB, and they have equivalent STAB-boosting-when-at-low-health abilities which helps them clean up shattered opposing teams. The problem for Scarfpour was always that it was one of the few Scarfers to outpace Scarf Jynx - but it couldn't actually damage it. That's not an issue any more.

Thinking about it, Scarfpour is just like Scarfzard but without the SR weakness...

I personally foresee great things for Scarf Simipour (which I have always thought underrated). It's similar to Charizard in many ways - comparable Special Attack (granted, it is a little weaker), a single extra speed point, a 120 base power STAB, and they have equivalent STAB-boosting-when-at-low-health abilities which helps them clean up shattered opposing teams. The problem for Scarfpour was always that it was one of the few Scarfers to outpace Scarf Jynx - but it couldn't actually damage it. That's not an issue any more.

Thinking about it, Scarfpour is just like Scarfzard but without the SR weakness...
ScarfPour will definitely be an interesting sweeper. Personally though, near the end of the match I would rather have NP Pour though, but Scarfpour would be a nice cleaner with its interesting speed tier.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I haven't used Scarf Charizard with Blaze ~too~ much, but one with Solar Power and sun support is an absolute beast and easily the best way to use ScarfZard imo. It outspeeds and at worst 2HKOes basically everything with Fire Blast alone and doesn't even need Specs or LO to wallbreak, allowing it to equip a Scarf and sweep through both offensive and defensive teams alike. Doesn't even need to be on a full sun team to work; I've actually used a dual-weather Volbeat with Ludicolo paired with Zard and their combined wallbreaking / sweeping ability is actually pretty incredible. SR is obviously its biggest flaw which is why it's more relegated to a "cleaning" role, but it cleans so easily it rarely ever really matters. As for Blaze variants, they do have considerably more longevity due to the lack of Solar Power recoil so they actually can come in for a revenge kill or two while still being able to clean efficiently, and a Scarfer that can outspeed base 95s is still really good to have since Primeape (and to an extent Haunter + Sawsbuck) still exist.

On ScarfPour, probably the main draw to it is its ability to revenge Carracosta with little to no risk, since it resists Aqua Jet and can easily follow up with Hydro / Surf for the KO. I don't really use it all too much but I do agree it has more merit in this meta with Jynx gone. Water-types in general have gotten a lot better since they can pretty freely spam their STABs with much less fear. On a different note, something I've been toying around with somewhat is dual-Water cores; basically the premise is to wear down checks and counters to the Pokémon with offensive pressure + potential lures and clean up later. An example core would be of special Samurott with HP Electric + RD Ludicolo, using Samurott to weaken Ludicolo's checks and lure in Mantine while Ludi sweeps late-game. Another is SD Samurott + mixed Shell Smash Carracosta, and so on and so forth.

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I personally like to run physically defensive leafeon, duskull, and scarfed walrein. These unorthodox ways if running them catches the opponent off guard which is what I like to do. Leafeon is actually able to take physical hits well and can phaze or toxic set up attempts while offering wish support. Duskull works a lot like its evolved forms as a bulky support mon. I personally run WoW, taunt, Night
Shade, and pain split. With eviolite is a very bulky mon on both spectrums. Scarfed walrein albeit kind of silly works for me. Switching it in for a surprise kill or even clean up is enough satisfaction for me since it is usually seen as a more stall oriented mon and not necessarily offensive. Plus people's comments are sometimes humorous when they see an actually somewhat fast walrein.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Eeveelution Lover, while being creative is nice and all, you should realize that running straight up outclassed Pokemon isn't a good strategy in the long run. For example: Misdreavus can run almost the exact same set as Duskull, has the same ability, same typing, double the physical bulk, and almost 3 times the special bulk. It's also leagues faster, allowing you to actually Taunt / WoW various threats before they can hurt you. It doesn't get Night Shade, but then again, it doesn't need it since it can actually hurt things with Shadow Ball.

I've actually seen Scarf Walrein before, but on dedicated Hail teams as a revenge killer. It's not particularly effective though since it's outsped by the vast majority of other scarfed Pokemon (including things like Sawk / Primeape) and doesn't hit very hard to make up for it. If you want a surprisingly fast Bulky Ice-type, try Rock Polish Regice with Life Orb. Hits harder, gets better coverage, actually outspeeds a bunch of Scarfed threats.

Leafeon is ok I guess if you're using it for Wish support but otherwise Tangela or even Roselia are better options.

I've been seeing an awful lot of Kadabra lately. I think these are the main selling points for it:

- 105 Speed, 120 Special Attack
- Access to Calm Mind, boosting its 252 Modest Special Attack to 558 and 252 Timid to 508
- Magic Guard
- Psychic, Shadow Ball and Signal Beam are all of the STAB it needs to destroy. And maybe HP Ground to check things.
- Focus Sash lets it guarantee a hit, and Life Orb gives it immense power.
- It can 2HKO almost the entire tier with a Calm Mind Boost. Even Musharna.

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
I've used Kadabra, and it isn't awfully bad. I primarily used it as a fail-safe check to Rain Dance Ludicolo, so I ran T-Wave, Psyshock, Focus Blast and something else, probably Signal Beam I guess. It's niche, but it works in a pinch.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've used Kadabra, and it isn't awfully bad. I primarily used it as a fail-safe check to Rain Dance Ludicolo, so I ran T-Wave, Psyshock, Focus Blast and something else, probably Signal Beam I guess. It's niche, but it works in a pinch.
Kadabra doesn't get Focus Blast though. Kadabra's best set imo has always been Psychic / Signal Beam / Hidden Power Ground / Encore, because a fast encore is really useful. Thunderwave is probably a cool choice, allowing it to make a sweeper "revengable" even if it can't revenge kill it itself.

Kadabra doesn't get Focus Blast though. Kadabra's best set imo has always been Psychic / Signal Beam / Hidden Power Ground / Encore, because a fast encore is really useful. Thunderwave is probably a cool choice, allowing it to make a sweeper "revengable" even if it can't revenge kill it itself.
I've also seen Calm Mind/Encore Sash Kadabra. It sets up a Calm Mind after Encore (faking out Kanga, setters and Skuntank) and returns with an insanely powerful Psychic or Signal Beam. With Magic Guard it takes no hazard damage and Toxic does nothing to it. The only status that can reliably hinder it is Paralysis and the ever-so-rare Freeze.

Last edited:

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
It doesn't? Haven't touched NU in like 6 months, and I ditched Kadabra on the team anyway. I probably ran HP Ground yea, or maybe Shadow Ball(No clue if it learns it or not). I feel like Life Orb is a waste though, especially with all the Skuntanks in NU. I'm assuming Sucker Punch OHKOes, I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)