Monotype Nothing is Promised

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Hey guys it's iVid here with a team I have been working since mid XY Monotype metagame. A bit of backstory on myself I've been playing Monotype since BW and have always enjoyed Fighting as type because of its offensive nature. Although Fighting isn't considered to be one of "top 3" types it in my opinion is a great type and can win almost any matchup seen in Monotype. I originally wasn't planning to do this RMT until DPP Monotype Tours started in the Monotype room where Fighting is considered to be the best type. This team also works fine in both a Monotype Metagame with Hoopa-U and a metagame without Hoopa-U. The team has had many changes over the last two years of the hectic ORAS metagame.
This is my thought process from early XY until now with changes being discussed

I started with a Terrakion originally as it is a must on a viable Fighting Team. My first thoughts on the set were unclear because of popularity of Scarf Keldeo in XY Monotype. I thought about the set long and hard and came to the Conclusion that outspeeing the fast and often frail Flying types with a Pokemon with STAB super effective move was the best choice

Once I knew I was using Choice Scarf Terrakion instead of Choice Band I knew I was lacking power so I went with a Choice Specs Keldeo. Choice Specs Keldeo gave the team a check to ground type teams and a Mega Scizor check as well.

I then noticed that water immune ground types such as Gastrodon and Seismitoad. Breloom patches up the weakness and it also serves as a back up check with Focus Sash to threats such as Volcarona and Mega Pinsir. I also noticed how it provided utility in Spore a 100% accurate move which puts the foe to sleep.

I then needed a Stealth Rocker. Originally I decided on Cobalion which actually gave the team an edge against fairy teams in XY. It also provided support with moves such as Taunt and Thunder Wave. With Taunt Cobalion could stop Sticky Webs provided it won a speed tie against Galvantula. Thunder Wave was useful since Cobalion has good defense

I then opted a somewhat bulkier Pokemon in Assault Vest Conkeldurr giving the team an answer to Special attackers such as Thundurus and Gengar. It also provided utility in Knock Off getting rid of items and another priority user.

I then went with the most viable Mega available at the time in Mega Medicham. Mega Medicham at the time seem forced on the team and the team didn't seem complete it. Although Mega Medicham was very good in XY I felt like the team lacked something important. This is most likely due to the fact that Aegislash was allowed on Ghost teams

When ORAS was released I immediately wanted to use Mega Gallade and thought it fit perfectly since it was very good in the first half of ORAS. It provided the team with a set up sweeper and something that wasn't scarfed that could speed tie with base 110 Pokemon such as Lati@s, Mega Diancie, and Gengar

I then noticed a major Scizor weakness I had with Keldeo being my only Scizor answer and it being easily worn down by Scizor. I replaced Utility Cobalion with a Suicide Lead Infernape. Infernape set up Stealth Rocks, has access to Taunt and can reliably OHKO Scizor with a Fire Type attack. Although I did give up Thunder Wave support my Scizor weakness went away with this change

A couple months after Aegislash was banned from Monotype I realized how good Mega Medicham actually was being able to break Flying and Water teams without needing to set up at all. It also provided the team with another Mega Diancie check in Bullet Punch Mega Medicham.

I then added a Choice Scarf Heracross noticing how the team lacked a way to deal with Psyshic types. Heracross also provided Knock Off support with two great abilities one of which was the same as Conkeldurr's. Heracross mad the Psyshic matchup for the team a lot easier and both of its abilities in Moxie and Guts have uses in the Psyshic matchup

I made a little change in trying Substitute Salac Berry Swords Dance Terrakion although it gave my team a set up sweeper and a late game cleaner it was very hard to set up without being at full. With this in mind I changed it back to Choice Scarf as Terrakion can late game clean by outspeeding weakened threats​

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Stone Edge
Close Combat
Iron Head
Earthquake
Terrakion is the main revenge killer outspeeding all of the common base 100 Scarfers. Close Combat is Fighting STAB move of Choice as it has 120 base power and never misses although it does have the drawback of lowering Terrakion's defenses. Close Combat is mainly used to eliminate Steel, Rock, and Normal types although it can be used to clean certain teams late game. The other STAB Move of Choice is Stone Edge as Fighting Rock coverage gives Terrakion very few resits. Stone Edge is mainly used against Fire and Flying types. Because of Terrakion's base 108 Speed it outspeeds Thundurus-Therian which is fastest viable scarfer on available on Flying teams. Terrakion should be preserved until late game as it has trouble breaking Skarmory and Gliscor early game. Although on Fire teams it often has free reign to click Stone Edge on everything but beware because Stone Edge doesn't have perfect accuracy. The first filler move I went with was Iron Head as it gave the team a check to Mega Diancie. Iron Head should never be used against other Fairy types most notably Clefable unless it is absolutely necessary and the 30% flinch chance is needed to win. Last Move I went with was Earthquake to cover certain Pokemon such as Doublade that would otherwise wall Terrakion. It should be noted that Earthquake should be used on predicted switches into Doublade as Earthquake does around 35% which means it isn't a 2 Hit KO. An alternative option is Rock Slide which is advantageous in the Fire matchup but in the Flying matchup Stone Edge's power is needed to OHKO Zapdos. The EVs are fairly standard 252 EVs into attack to make Terrakion's attack the highest it can be. 252 Speed EVs because it makes Terrakion as fast as possible. Jolly Nature is used so Terrakion base 100 Scarfers such as Victini and Speed tie with base 108 Scarfers such as opposing Terrakion. The other 4 EVs are placed into Spedef so Download users such as Porygon-Z get the attack Boost instead of the Special Attack Boost. Couple Other quick Notes Terrakion is the main Mega Pinsir check as with Choice Scarf it outspeeds Mega Pinsir regardless of Sticky Webs. Terrakion needs to be played correctly in the bug matchup to insure a win. Terrakion mainly serves as the team revenge killer and an offensive check to threatening Pokemon

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Scald
Secret Sword
Icy Wind
Hidden Power [Electric]
I then went with something that could hit hard and in general a very good special attacker. I went with a Choice Specs Keldeo as it is very good at breaking unprepared Montyope Teams. The first STAB move on the set is Scald because it very spamable and generally doesn't miss out on KOs Surf gets. With the 30% Chance to Burn it often spreads Burns. The second STAB move I went with was Secret Sword, Keldeo's signature move. Secret Swords allows me to hit Special walls such as Chansey and Tyranitar. Secret Sword along with Scald breaks Steel teams with ease. Icy Wind is the first filler move as it covers Dragon types such as Garchomp, Lati@s, and Dragonite. Icy Wind also provides Keldeo with a safe move to use against ground type teams doing neutral damage to Gastrodon and Seismitoad. Icy Wind also has the affect of lowering oppoent's speed which can be useful against non Choice Scarfed Latios which is 2 Hit Koed after Stealth Rock. The last move I decided on was Hidden Power Electric this is mainly used to lure Slowbro since most people think Slowbro is a Keldeo switch in 2 Hit KOing if it decided to switch in. The other use for it is on the rare Dragon Dance Bounce Gyarados. The other option is Hydro Pump which I found wasn't used that often because 95% of the time Scald was better play as it can Burn and doesn't miss. The EVs are simple 252 EVs in Special Attack so Keldeo can hit as hard as possible, 252 into Speed as Keldeo to make Keldeo as fast as possible. The last 4 Evs were dropped into Special Defense because I want rare Download users such as Porygon-Z to get Attack Boost instead of Special Attack Boost since Porygon-Z is a Special Attacker. Timid Nature is used so Keldeo can outspeed Landorus and Mega Gardevoir. Timid nature also allows Keldeo to Speed Tie with non choice scarfed Infernape, Terrakion, Galvantula, and opposing Keldeo. Keldeo is mainly used to break teams and spread burns with Scald and it is a decent Scizor check which is Steel's wincon against Fighting

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
Mach Punch
Spore
Bullet Seed
Rock Tomb
Breloom was my next Choice as it had much needed Grass coverage and priority. Mach Punch is used to to pick of weakened threats and works very well with Breloom's Technician ability which powers up Breloom's moves that are under 60 base power or lower by 50%. Spore is used to put non grass type foes to sleep. With the Focus Sash item Breloom can always get Sleep of regardless if it's slower or faster if it's at full health. Bullet Seed is Breloom's other STAB move and takes advantage of the Technician ability. Bullet Seed allows the team OHKO Ground team's water immunities in Gastrodon and Seismitoad. Rock Tomb is used as a secondary check to Volcarona and Mega Pinsir. It also takes advantage of the Technician ability. The EVs are simple 252 attack EVs are used to maximize Breloom's attack stat. 252 of the EVs are put into to Speed to maximize Breloom's speed. Jolly nature is used so Breelom is fast as possible and so it outspeeds Adamant Bisharp's Sucker Punch priority. the other 4 EVs don't mater so it was but in Special Defense for no real reason. A small change that can be done is using Life Orb for extra power to pick of certain KOs on weakened Pokemon with Mach Punch although Breloom is very frail and needs Focus Sash to act as an emergency check to certain threats. Breloom's main role is to serve as a secondary check to Pokemon such Mega Pinsir and Volcarona and as a Water and Ground check.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast
Close Combat
Taunt
I then notcied I needed a Stealth Rocker and Fighting is very limited on Stealth Rockers only having two viable Stealth Rocker in Infernape and Cobalion. I went with Infernape mainly because of its typing and being a lot more offensive than Cobalion. The first move is Stealth Rock which helps Infernape's teammates pick up certain KOs and it is one of few Taunters than can beat Suicide Lead Skarmory. Also with Focus Sash item Infernape will almost always get Stealth Rock up. Fire Blast is first STAB move which is aimed at the physical defensive Steel types such Doublade, Skarmory, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn. Close Combat is mainly used to hit Heatran although it can be used Water and Fire types for more damage than Fire Blast. Taunt is used to beat other Suicide Leads mainly Skarmory on Hyper Offensive Steel. Infernape serves as another Mega Scizor check which is needed on Fighting teams since Mega Scizor is Steel's wincon against Fighting teams. The Special Attack investment allow Infernape to have a approximately 75% chance to OHKO Doublade with Fire Blast. the ivsement also gives Infernape a very high chance to OHKO Mega Heracross after Stealth Rock. The rest is dumped into Attack to give Infernape a small chance to OHKO specially defensive Heatran after Stealth Rocks. Naive nature is used since it helps Infernape better check Scizor and it gives download users the attack boost instead of the special attack boost. Max Speed is used so Infernape is fast as possible and Naive's plus Speed allows Infernape to speed tie with Galvantula which gives Infernape a chance to prevent Sticky Webs. Infernape is the Suicide Lead and the secondary Scizor check on the team making the Steel matchup a bit easier to win

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie / Guts
Jolly Nature
Megahorn
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Knock Off
The team then needed something to keep Psyshic teams in check this is where Heracross comes in. The ability is up to preference as guts can be useful against Mew as it Wil-O-Wisps Heracross thinking it will lower you're attack when in reality it is boosting your attack by 50%. This also works with Slowbro because of majority of people mindless click Scald hoping for burn against Heracross. Moxie is used in an attempt to sweep Psyshic teams late game, but Heracross needs to played with care if Moxie is chosen. Choice Scarf is used to outspeed certain threats such as Mega Latias and Choice Scarf Gardevoir. Megahorn is used to mainly hit Psyshic types such as Slowbro and Mew very hard doing massive damage to both. Close Combat is secondary STAB move and hits Steel and Normal types such Heatran and Chansey very hard. Stone Edge is used to hit Flying types such as Zapdos and Mega Charizard-Y OHKOing them. Knock Off is used to get rid of Eviolites and hits Ghost types very hard. It also used to hit Ghost types such as Jellicent. 252 EVs are put into attack to maximize Heracross' damage output. 252 Speed with Jolly nature is used so Heatran is as fast as possible outspeeding Scarf Gardevoir. Heracross' main role on the team is a Psyshic check and a secondary Choice Scarf user.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
Fake Out
Bullet Punch
Zen Headbutt
High Jump Kick
Mega Medicham ,the captain of the team, has been one of the Pokemon that has gotten better as ORAS has progressed while it's competition in Mega Gallade has gotten worse and doesn't work that well in the current Monotype Metagame. Fake Out is first move which is used so Mega Medicham always gets base 100 speed instead of its mediocre base 80 speed and it does a significant amount of damage because of Mega Medicham's high attack stat. Bullet Punch is used to as another means to check Mega Diancie aside from Iron Head Terrakion and it can also be used to pick off weakened Pokemon. I went for Zen Headbutt because my team doesn't answer to Poison types mainly Mega Venusaur. A quick note don't use Ice Punch over Zen Headbutt as it makes the team get completely walled by Mega Venusaur and in turn only hits Gliscor and Landorus-Therian, two not so common Pokemon in Monotype, harder than High Jump Kick or Zen Headbutt would which is not worth having your team being walled by staple on Grass and Poison teams. The last move is High Jump Kick which hits anything that doesn't resit really hard. Types such as Water and Flying don't appreciate Mega Medicham as common walls used on these types are either OHKOed or two hit KOed. Mega Medicham also decimates the infamous stall water team by Thimo as everything is 2 Hit KOed or OHKOed and it mainly relies on protect to stop Mega Medicham which relies on prediction to be effective. The only option I might recommend running over maybe Bullet Punch or Fake Out is Thunder Punch since it 2 Hit KOs Slowbro and Slowbro is a common Medicham switch in. The EVs are fairly simple 252 into Attack to maximize Medicham's damage output. 252 Speed with Jolly Nature is used so Mega Medicham outspeed Pokemon like Kyurem-B and speed tie with Pokemon such as Mega Charizard-Y. The last 4 EVs are put into Special Defense as Mega Medicham has same Defense and Special Defense as I want download users to get attack boost instead of special attack boost. With Heracross getting rid of Psyshic types Mega Medicham is very dangerous on this team and destroys common balance teams on its own. Mega Medicham's main role is to break common due to majority of its counters being banned from Monotype and how uncommon Ghost types are in the current Metagame.

Hopefully you enjoyed the team. The team has been in the works for around two years and since I don't plan on playing Monotype seriously until Pokemon Sun and Moon, so I decided the RMT the team. Like I said earlier offense has always been my favorite playstyle and I like instead of countering threats you check them and overwhelm teams with powerful offensive Pokemon most specifically Mega Medicham. Hopefully Pokemon Sun and Moon provide more types with an option for an offensive archetype. The RMT was a lot of work, but was a fun experience to construct.
Fairy Types are scary for this team. Offensive Fairy types like Mega Diancie and Mega Gardevoir OHKO or 2 Hit KO the whole team. Although Iron Head Terrakion and Bullet Punch Mega Medicham can check it. Defensive Fairy types such as Clefable as really hard to kill although Taunt Infernape prevents them from using non attack moves such Thunder Wave, Soft-Boiled, and Calm Mind.
Mega Pinsir can be a problem if Terrakion is weakened and Stealth Rock are up. In the bug matchup preserve Terrakion's HP so it can take a +2 Quick Attack. Also if Infernape and Breloom are at full they can OHKO Mega Pinsir with Fire Blast and Rock Tomb respectively.
Latios especially Choice Scarf Latios is a big problem to this team and everything Fighting team in general. Choice Latios is weak as it doesn't OHKO Mega Medicham with Psyshock and Dragon Teams fear High Jump Kick. Choice Scarf Latios needs to be played around depending on the scenario.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Spore
- Bullet Seed

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick​

scpinion Very good tier Leader and has helped the tier grow and I appreciate that
Acast I've know you forever and you've always seemed chill
Omega-Xis Best Memer ever...
Dirpz Overwatch 4 Life
Dream Eater Gengar Use Psyshic STAB on your Mega Medicham. All jokes aside you're a chill guy and helpful when I need something
Bondie Not really much to say but you're chill
6TI You're an alt right But Jokes aide you are a chill person and help the Monotype community a lot keep it up
Dece1t not gonna say much but keep up good work with Core Challenges
Sabella Mark the legend
Balto Known eachother for a while good battler
Wanka good friend and has great ideas
Confluxx Mono Driver when?
Entei. xaa
Paleo Just good friend
Wyn All I do is Wyn
Eien Good Fighting user helped a lot with the team team and good friend
rnbs Passes really cool teams and is good battler
TheThorn Underrated Monotype Battler
Clearly Underrated Monotype Battler
1 True Lycan Really Good friend and is big help in prepping for Tours Monotype or not
SirSkit Underrated Monotype Battler
Azelea Chill guy
Ridley. Really Good battler and friend
Attribute He got a Smogon Finally
Chakra Good friend and we talk about Anime we watched
Arifeen we help eachother out by passing eachother teams and I think he used this team to get reqs for Hoopa-U suspect
Shadestep Helped me with NU for PSPL
Thimo He makes unquie teams and is a chill guy
p2 Better than 90% of you Monotype battlers out there
Ransei Thanks for drafting me I appreciate that
terrors You did good in OMPL bro :D
LaxLapras I didn't talk to until recently but I learned a lot about AAA from reading your rmt and watching your battles
Dr. Phd. BJ You were very dedicated in OMPL which was really cool to see
Betathunder DonnotheFirst draegn Lcass4919 Official Fissure Pikachuun thelinearcurve I hope to get know the rest of you better in the future and thanks for a great OMPL season!!!

Zarif did all of the art for the RMT the image seen with all of the Pokemon and the cool text it was all Zarif. Zarif is also a good friend of mine and helps with my YouTube channel as well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)