Nihilego Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Nihilego
Rock/Poison
Abilities: Beast Boost / Beast Boost / Beast Boost
HP: 109
Atk: 53
Def: 47
SpAtk: 127
SpDef: 131
Spe: 103

Level Up

L1 - Power Split
L1 - Guard Split
L1 - Tickle
L1 - Acid
L1 - Constrict
L1 - Pound
L7 - Clear Smog
L13 - Psywave
L19 - Headbutt
L23 - Venoshock
L29 - Toxic Spikes
L31 - Safeguard
L37 - Power Gem
L43 - Mirror Coat
L47 - Acid Spray
L53 - Venom Drench
L59 - Stealth Rock
L67 - Wonder Room
L73 - Head Smash

TMs

TM03 - Psyshock
TM06 - Toxic
TM09 - Venoshock
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM34 - Sludge Wave
TM36 - Sludge Bomb
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM59 - Brutal Swing
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM92 - Trick Room
TM99 - Dazzling Gleam
TM100 - Confide

New Ability

Beast Boost: The Pokémon boosts its most proficient stat each time it knocks out a Pokémon.

Last edited:
I wonder how its Ability works, but one thing stroke me : he has no good special Rock-STAB. Power Gem is nice sure, but it's only 70BP. He DOES have good coverage options (Dazzling Gleam, Thunderbolt and Psyshock) but he will lack in brute force... until its first kill of course (except you try to lower its spatk to increase speed instead) Good support movepool though, between the walls, hazards and even Clear Smog for some reason. It will force switches with Acid Spray to capitalize them. Better bring your Steel-mons (or Hippodown?) cause it seems fairly efficient at what it does.

I wonder how its Ability works, but one thing stroke me : he has no good special Rock-STAB. Power Gem is nice sure, but it's only 70BP. He DOES have good coverage options (Dazzling Gleam, Thunderbolt and Psyshock) but he will lack in brute force... until its first kill of course (except you try to lower its spatk to increase speed instead) Good support movepool though, between the walls, hazards and even Clear Smog for some reason. It will force switches with Acid Spray to capitalize them. Better bring your Steel-mons (or Hippodown?) cause it seems fairly efficient at what it does.
Power Gem was increased to 80 BP last gen, so it's as powerful as Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse, the go-to special moves of Ghost and Dark.

That sure is some incredible special bulk. You know you're bulky when even at 0/4, you have a very high chance of living a Super Effective Scald from Specs Keldeo at full health.

127 Sp. Attack is great and 103 speed is pretty trollish, although sadly its special movepool is so-so at best. It gets a few decent coverage options such as Thunderbolt, Grass Knot, Psyshock/Psychic and Dazzling Gleam, but overall Steels are a problem for it - it'll need to run HP Fire if it wants to hurt Ferrothorn for example. The ability looks fun.

It's probably the best 'mon in the game that learns both Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes, and as such that niche should be capitalised on.

Did they nerf Power Gem cause I thought I was 80 base power. Also I'm asuming the ability is like Moxie except for the current highest stat instead of Attack.

My mistake, I was stuck in the past. 80BP is significantly better.
If Beast Boost works on actual stats then Smogon EV spreads for the beasts are going to look funny. Its stats are out of this world (heh) for a Poison/Rock type.
inb4 having to not invest in SpAtk to have higher speed for cleaning purposes.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Like a lot of Rock Types, UB-01's stats are All or Nothing divided by the Physical/Special split. Unlike a lot of Rock Types, this one's all Special no Physical.

My first thought was slap a Choice Scarf on this and let it sweep with Special Attack boosts, but if Beast Boost counts the Speed buff from the Choice Scarf then maybe you could use a Life Orb and play this like Talonflame. (RIP ;_;) Once this kills something, good luck outspeeding it. (You can use Tapu Fini if you're worried about priority.) Worst case scenario: Beast Boost goes off of base stats.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Unless there's something I don't see here, Nihilego has a crippling weakness to which it can't respond: Earthquake. The move available to and carried by every Pokémon and their mothers. Nihilego has worse Defense than Psyduck and a 4x weakness to Ground. I guess it could lash out at potential Earthquake users with Grass Knot, but otherwise its movepool seems poorly suited to handle Ground types. At least it has good speed and Sp.Atk to harm Earthquake users before being struck itself, but it can't exactly switch in on much.

This is one Bizare pokemon. What were they thinking? Rock type out of all things?

Frail physical bulk but very bulky on the special side. It is actually somewhat decent and has SR and Toxic Spikes and can 2ko Garchomp switchins with Dazzling Gleam and its faster. Also has Grassnot and HP Ice for ground types. Its not good but its not too bad either.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Interesting typing and stat spread. Might carve itself a niche as an offensive hazard setter - it gets Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes and can use Dazzling Gleam to hit things like Lati and Mega Sableye, though its Defense is awful (very real risk of getting Pursuit trapped) and the x4 Ground weakness limits its defensive utility. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this mon.

I can see this teaming well with pokemon that can tank offensive moves for it. Alolan Persian with Fur coat comes to mind.

Does seem like a hazzard setter for sure, but it does have a pretty decent special attack as well. It also gets clear smog to be an excelent hazer.

Toxic spikes
stealth rock
Clear Smog
Dazzling Gleam/Power Gem

Pair it with someone to help it heal itself or someone that resists EQ and she should be fine

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I'm not sure how correct it is, but I've heard rumors Beast Boost increases every stat that's your highest stat if they're tied... so would there be merit in running 180 SpA/252 Spe if this is the case, so that you get +1/+1 on a KO? You could invest the last 76 into HP or Def pretty readily as it absolutely would appreciate the survivability. If this is how the ability actually works, I imagine that spread would likely be superior if you're trying to use Nihilego as a cleaner.

Edit: And it doesn't. RIP this idea I guess.

Last edited:
I'm just happy we finally have a poison-type legendary.

Well, Ultra Beast technically but this is as close as poor poison is ever gonna get it seems.

This is one Bizare pokemon. What were they thinking? Rock type out of all things?

Frail physical bulk but very bulky on the special side. It is actually somewhat decent and has SR and Toxic Spikes and can 2ko Garchomp switchins with Dazzling Gleam and its faster. Also has Grassnot and HP Ice for ground types. Its not good but its not too bad either.
I think it's because the pokemon is made out of glass or a glass-like material, and Poison type because...welll... it's a jellyfish.

Not really competitive related, but I was initially baffled by Nihilego's Rock typing. I mean, on the surface only Poison makes sense since Nihilego is a jellyfish.

However, we have to take a closer look at this thing's description. Its body is apparently made out of a glass-like substance.

What is glass made out of? Liquid sand and minerals. What is sand made out of? Rocks.

I want to see a picture of Nihilego holding an Air Balloon. It would be cute.
The visual would be adorable. The concept leans more towards terrifying.

I think it will be forced to run Thunderbolt because of Steel-Types, but beyond that, I like it. Cute, deadly, and it has a more reasonable stat spread than certain other UB's.

*looks over at Xiructree and Kartana*

The visual would be adorable. The concept leans more towards terrifying.

I think it will be forced to run Thunderbolt because of Steel-Types, but beyond that, I like it. Cute, deadly, and it has a more reasonable stat spread than certain other UB's.

*looks over at Xiructree and Kartana*
Thunderbolt would be good on her. And Air ballon is probably a must to let it avoid some EQ's at first.

I know I posted a double spiker set, but I wonder how well that is. Its good, but would one want to just focus on damage with her, or is double setter and Hazer better suited for her, due to her intense support pool.

Maybe just stealth rocks instead of both That and Toxic spikes? Then throw in a T-bolt for some better coverage.

What is wrong with those stats?...besides the physical ones are all above 100
I think her stats are fine. People just see terrible defense and cry foul.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)