SS Doubles OU nihi omg

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
:ss/nihilego: :ss/landorus-therian:
:ss/mew: :ss/zeraora: :ss/heatran:
(yes that's the actual name of the team, I couldn't think of anything else)
(ty to umbry for helping me put the final touches on the team)
soooooooooo im out of OSDT now (aka last dou tour of the generation I actually cared about [unless i get drafted for scl]) with a resounding 5-3 record, whee. I thought I would FINALLY do a rmt since ive been on this site for almost two years and haven't done one and i also really like this team lol. It's only lost me one game (that wasn't clean by any means) out of the many many times I've used it, so I like to think it's at least decent. It's definitely my favorite team I've built (despite another being a sample team), and likely one I'll never stop using unless like mono ground becomes meta or something. Anyways, lets get this started.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
The Team

:nihilego:
Uumuu (Nihilego) @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Meteor Beam
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
Nihilego is the centerpiece of this team and easily my favorite mon to use in SS DOU, a big reason why I love this team as much as I do. Its Meteor Beam is one of the hardest hitting moves in the tier (only slightly weaker than Life Orb Modest Naganadel's Draco Meteor I believe) and allows Nihilego to both trade damage and sweep late-game with its ability to snowball rather well. It also has a dynamic to it of either nuking something with Meteor Beam or saving it for later that has always been enjoyable for me. Lastly, it's pretty good into most of the offensive Pokemon such as Landorus and Naganadel, with the former getting outsped and OHKOed, and Nihilego is generally able to eat the latter's hits well from full. Its named Uumuu because both Nihilego and the Hollow Knight boss are jellyfish, and kinda look similar!

:landorus-therian:
Markoth (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Explosion
- U-turn
Intimidate is one thing I always find Nihilego likes, which is pretty much why Landorus-T is on this team over another Ground-type breaker. The king of competitive Pokemon is.....thoroughly mediocre in this tier. It still has its uses on this team however! It's an Intimidate Pokemon that doesn't struggle versus some of the same things Nihilego does (Zygarde in particular) while also dealing with Landorus rather well. With a Choice Band, it also does do a stupid amount of damage with Knock Off and Superpower just being good moves that can force a lot of damage on certain Pokemon and U-Turn provides pivoting and hits Rillaboom reaaaally hard. Explosion is also excellent at removing Landorus-T from the game if it's dead weight while also probably dealing a massive amount of damage with it in the process. Steel-types like Metagross can't also safely switch in due to the potential for Landorus-T to force a ton of damage with Knock Off or Superpower, which is a risky play due to them needing to check Nihilego. To be honest the only reason it's named after Markoth was because I couldn't think of anything else and I thought they had a slight resemblance.

:tapu-fini:
Pure Vessel (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpA
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect
Both previous Pokemon have an undesirable matchup with Urshifu-R and I lacked terrain control, so Tapu Fini was only natural. It has good synergy with both of them due to Nihilego potentially forcing a lot of damage on Rillaboom and Landorus-T providing Intimidate support, both of which help Tapu Fini sweep with Calm Mind. Misty Terrain also allows me to get a bit more flexible with teambuilding due to no longer needing a Pokemon with Safety Goggles (although not that much more flexible). I named it Pure Vessel because it felt right. It's also shiny because I love the Tapu's shinies.

:mew:
Soul Master (Mew) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 92 HP / 164 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Tailwind
Next up is Mew! It's easily the most versatile Pokemon in the tier, and can usually fit any role you'd want it to. In this case, I wanted a secondary
Urshifu-R check along with Tailwind and Stealth Rocks, and Mew is able to fit that mold perfectly. Tailwind is self-explanatory, as this team is decently fast paced, and there's not a ton of reason to go Trick Room here. Stealth Rocks are good for preventing Rillaboom from switching in for free on Tapu Fini in addition to just being good for general chip. Fake Out support is also good for generating free turns for Nihilego and Tapu Fini and locking some Pokemon down. No clue why I decided to name it Soul Master other than the fact I just like the boss and its theme.

:zeraora:
Hornet (Zeraora) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Snarl
- Taunt
For teams like this, where the majority of it is slower, it's important to have good means of preventing opposing speed control, and Zeraora does that rather well with Taunt. In addition, it provides further support with Fake Out generating more free turns while Snarl weakens the large amount of special attackers in the tier and is significantly better against both rain and psyspam. Outside of that it doesn't serve any specific purpose, it's just a solid support Pokemon. NotlPrimRose told me to name it Hornet so I did lol.

:heatran:
Nightmare King (Heatran) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect
Last but not least, Heatran! This is another pretty self explanatory Pokemon: it's good into Steel- and Grass-types and acts as a potential wincon in some matchups, but mainly functions as a breaker. With Life Orb and Flash Cannon, it acts as a better check to both Dragon Dance Kyurem-B and Diancie (which was needed on this team). I did use a Timid Nature at some point to at the very least tie opposing Heatran, but this team isn't that weak to them anyways so I ended up switching to Modest. Why is it named Nightmare King? Because I really like that track.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Problematic Pokemon

:zygarde:
This is an interesting matchup I actually haven't gotten the opportunity to test out that much. Defensively Landorus-T, Mew, and Tapu Fini are easily enough to handle it, however outside of Tapu Fini, the core's offensive backbone doesn't enjoy its presence much at all due to its high bulk making it annoying to break though (although not impossible to break through, Meteor Beam still does a minimum of 40 and Flash Cannon 2HKOs on the switch). It's by no means unplayable, but you would absolutely have to play carefully around it.

:diancie:
Similar case to Zygarde except there isn't much defensive profile to back it up in exchange for being able to limit it with offensive pressure easier. Brave Hard Stone Diancie can easily tear through teams without a sturdy resist, so on teams without one have to focus on limiting the opportunities it has. Again, by no means impossible, but requires careful play and positioning.

:kyurem-black:
This is specifically the Dragon Dance set. With my Intimidate Pokemon being 4x weak to Ice, checking Dragon Dance Kyurem-B becomes far tricker. By far the best means of beating it is making sure Heatran is healthy to eat a hit from it and KO back. Getting Stealth Rocks up early is also important so that Kyurem-B's massive bulk gets nullified a bit and limiting how many times it can come in. However, if Heatran falls into +1 Fusion Bolt range, it'll become way harder to stop and can potentially win on the spot.

Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Explosion
- U-turn

Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Tailwind

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Snarl
- Taunt

Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

umbry I can't find the words to accurately tell you how much I appreciate you and everything you've done for me. You've been there for me through so much and I can never thank you enough for that. I know if I need anyone to vent, cry, or just talk too, I can always come to you. ily <3
SuperEpicAmpharos ty for being the first (and only for a while) person who really talked to me on this site n.n
chlo THANK YOU for sending me cat videos (and like a million other things but CATS)
Z Strats u r a bitch ty for supporting me, especially during an incident involving a certain perma'd user
Kaede art bestie :3
Actuarily Memoric ty for giving me a chance in dwcop and dpl (also as c&c leader for memo) c: (sorry i went 0-3 in the former x.x)
Lily thank you for being one of two people i can bug about serious stuff (also telling me to make my name infinitely better)
Eve ebe
churine cant dou
qsns ty for following me on twitter (also talking to me about that thing that one time ig)
emma you were the first person to really inspire me on this site and helped me become who i am today
holly dumb
Jade :zoruapwead:
Lyss :3
Ratio TheMoneyMeister smash nerds
omicorio i know you hate me but i don't hate you (this is a joke ik you don't hate me)

(I probably forgot a ton of people and if i missed you sorry ><)

Last edited:

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
:ss/nihilego: :ss/landorus-therian:
:ss/mew: :ss/zeraora: :ss/heatran:
(yes that's the actual name of the team, I couldn't think of anything else)
(ty to umbry for helping me put the final touches on the team)
soooooooooo im out of OSDT now (aka last dou tour of the generation I actually cared about [unless i get drafted for scl]) with a resounding 5-3 record, whee. I thought I would FINALLY do a rmt since ive been on this site for almost two years and haven't done one and i also really like this team lol. It's only lost me one game (that wasn't clean by any means) out of the many many times I've used it, so I like to think it's at least decent. It's definitely my favorite team I've built (despite another being a sample team), and likely one I'll never stop using unless like mono ground becomes meta or something. Anyways, lets get this started.

The Team

:nihilego:
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
Nihilego is the centerpiece of this team and easily my favorite mon to use in SS DOU, a big reason why I love this team as much as I do. Its Meteor Beam is one of the hardest hitting moves in the tier (only slightly weaker than Life Orb Modest Naganadel's Draco Meteor I believe) and allows Nihilego to both trade damage and sweep late-game with its ability to snowball rather well. It also has a dynamic to it of either nuking something with Meteor Beam or saving it for later that has always been enjoyable for me. Lastly, it's pretty good into most of the offensive Pokemon such as Landorus and Naganadel, with the former getting outsped and OHKOed, and Nihilego is generally able to eat the latter's hits well from full. Its named Uumuu because both Nihilego and the Hollow Knight boss are jellyfish, and kinda look similar!

:landorus-therian:
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Explosion
- U-turn
Intimidate is one thing I always find Nihilego likes, which is pretty much why Landorus-T is on this team over another Ground-type breaker. The king of competitive Pokemon is.....thoroughly mediocre in this tier. It still has its uses on this team however! It's an Intimidate Pokemon that doesn't struggle versus some of the same things Nihilego does (Zygarde in particular) while also dealing with Landorus rather well. With a Choice Band, it also does do a stupid amount of damage with Knock Off and Superpower just being good moves that can force a lot of damage on certain Pokemon and U-Turn provides pivoting and hits Rillaboom reaaaally hard. Explosion is also excellent at removing Landorus-T from the game if it's dead weight while also probably dealing a massive amount of damage with it in the process. Steel-types like Metagross can't also safely switch in due to the potential for Landorus-T to force a ton of damage with Knock Off or Superpower, which is a risky play due to them needing to check Nihilego. To be honest the only reason it's named after Markoth was because I couldn't think of anything else and I thought they had a slight resemblance.

:tapu-fini:
Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect
Both previous Pokemon have an undesirable matchup with Urshifu-R and I lacked terrain control, so Tapu Fini was only natural. It has good synergy with both of them due to Nihilego potentially forcing a lot of damage on Rillaboom and Landorus-T providing Intimidate support, both of which help Tapu Fini sweep with Calm Mind. Misty Terrain also allows me to get a bit more flexible with teambuilding due to no longer needing a Pokemon with Safety Goggles (although not that much more flexible). I named it Pure Vessel because it felt right. It's also shiny because I love the Tapu's shinies.

:mew:
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Tailwind
Next up is Mew! It's easily the most versatile Pokemon in the tier, and can usually fit any role you'd want it to. In this case, I wanted a secondary
Urshifu-R check along with Tailwind and Stealth Rocks, and Mew is able to fit that mold perfectly. Tailwind is self-explanatory, as this team is decently fast paced, and there's not a ton of reason to go Trick Room here. Stealth Rocks are good for preventing Rillaboom from switching in for free on Tapu Fini in addition to just being good for general chip. Fake Out support is also good for generating free turns for Nihilego and Tapu Fini and locking some Pokemon down. No clue why I decided to name it Soul Master other than the fact I just like the boss and its theme.

:zeraora:
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Snarl
- Taunt
For teams like this, where the majority of it is slower, it's important to have good means of preventing opposing speed control, and Zeraora does that rather well with Taunt. In addition, it provides further support with Fake Out generating more free turns while Snarl weakens the large amount of special attackers in the tier and is significantly better against both rain and psyspam. Outside of that it doesn't serve any specific purpose, it's just a solid support Pokemon. NotlPrimRose told me to name it Hornet so I did lol.

:heatran:
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect
Last but not least, Heatran! This is another pretty self explanatory Pokemon: it's good into Steel- and Grass-types and acts as a potential wincon in some matchups, but mainly functions as a breaker. With Life Orb and Flash Cannon, it acts as a better check to both Dragon Dance Kyurem-B and Diancie (which was needed on this team). I did use a Timid Nature at some point to at the very least tie opposing Heatran, but this team isn't that weak to them anyways so I ended up switching to Modest. Why is it named Nightmare King? Because I really like that track.

Problematic Pokemon

:zygarde:
This is an interesting matchup I actually haven't gotten the opportunity to test out that much. Defensively Landorus-T, Mew, and Tapu Fini are easily enough to handle it, however outside of Tapu Fini, the core's offensive backbone doesn't enjoy its presence much at all due to its high bulk making it annoying to break though (although not impossible to break through, Meteor Beam still does a minimum of 40 and Flash Cannon 2HKOs on the switch). It's by no means unplayable, but you would absolutely have to play carefully around it.

:diancie:
Similar case to Zygarde except there isn't much defensive profile to back it up in exchange for being able to limit it with offensive pressure easier. Brave Hard Stone Diancie can easily tear through teams without a sturdy resist, so on teams without one have to focus on limiting the opportunities it has. Again, by no means impossible, but requires careful play and positioning.

:kyurem-black:
This is specifically the Dragon Dance set. With my Intimidate Pokemon being 4x weak to Ice, checking Dragon Dance Kyurem-B becomes far tricker. By far the best means of beating it is making sure Heatran is healthy to eat a hit from it and KO back. Getting Stealth Rocks up early is also important so that Kyurem-B's massive bulk gets nullified a bit and limiting how many times it can come in. However, if Heatran falls into +1 Fusion Bolt range, it'll become way harder to stop and can potentially win on the spot.

Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Explosion
- U-turn

Bold Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Tailwind

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Plasma Fists
- Snarl
- Taunt

Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

umbry I can't find the words to accurately tell you how much I appreciate you and everything you've done for me. You've been there for me through so much and I can never thank you enough for that. I know if I need anyone to vent, cry, or just talk too, I can always come to you. ily <3
SuperEpicAmpharos ty for being the first (and only for a while) person who really talked to me on this site n.n
chlo THANK YOU for sending me cat videos (and like a million other things but CATS)
Z Strats u r a bitch ty for supporting me, especially during an incident involving a certain perma'd user
Kaede art bestie :3
Actuarily Memoric ty for giving me a chance in dwcop and dpl (also as c&c leader for memo) c: (sorry i went 0-3 in the former x.x)
Lily thank you for being one of two people i can bug about serious stuff (also telling me to make my name infinitely better)
Eve ebe
churine cant dou
qsns ty for following me on twitter (also talking to me about that thing that one time ig)
emma you were the first person to really inspire me on this site and helped me become who i am today
holly dumb
Jade :zoruapwead:
Lyss :3
Ratio TheMoneyMeister smash nerds
omicorio i know you hate me but i don't hate you (this is a joke ik you don't hate me)

(I probably forgot a ton of people and if i missed you sorry ><)

OK so apparently tags didn't work because I (forum moderator+scroller) forgot how they didn't work when you copy and pasted them. Spurrific has also reminded me i forgot a few people soo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)