New use for ferrothorn???/New team I recently created.

done a few battles and won.
Please rate out of 10, and tell me what to add/remove.

Smeargle @ Quick Claw
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Speed/252 HP/4 Defense
Nature: Timid
~ Spore
~ Belly Drum
~ Baton Pass
~ Stealth Rock

I normally will set up with this and start out with a spore. Following that up, I belly drum and baton pass to my conkeldurr. Stealth rocks are normally used when a xatu/sigilyph is on the opposing team that can cause a threat to conkeldurr later on. The foundation/heart of my team when it comes to a 6-turn sweep.

Latios @ TwistedSpoon
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Special Attack/4 Attack
Nature: Hasty
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Psychic
~ Calm Mind
~ Roost

The newest addition to my team, and seemingly helpful as well. When sending out, I start immediately with a calm mind(sometimes two). A fast special sweeper that can take out a whole team with just a calm mind and a psychic.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 Special Attack/252 Health/4 Special Defense
Nature: Rash
~ Thunderbolt
~ Magnet Rise
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Tri Attack

A great special sweeper that can take a hit. The hidden power ice is for the pesky dragons that seem to come across this magnezone a lot. I also seemed to have needed an "if all goes bad" move, which would be Tri Attack. Magnet Rise was to avoid its major weakness, ground. Often switched in when needed to take a hit that could possibly OHKO another pokemon in my team.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Special Attack/4 Health
Nature: Modest
~ Quiver Dance
~ Giga Drain
~ Bug Buzz
~ Fiery Dance
wi
My primary speedy sweeper. If my smeargle to conkeldurr plan fails, it is often switched over to this little bug. Leftovers were for lack of an idea for an item, sadly. After a quiver dance, it can destroy virtually anything in it's path. Giga drain is to fend off the rock-types that can easily destroy Volcarona. I chose fiery dance over any other fire type move due to the 50% chance to raise Special Attack.

Conkeldurr @ Payapa Berry
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Attack/252 Health/4 Defense
Nature: Adamant
~ Drain Punch
~ Mach Punch
~ Bulk Up
~ Ice Punch

This is what I have been talking about in my Smeargle description. When baton passed to, it is amazing! With its ability iron fist, a single mach punch can OHKO almost any pokemon excluding resistances. The payapa berry is to lower the damage of psychic moves to keep it alive. With its baton pass from Smeargle, this is almost unstoppable.

Ferrothorn @ Big Root
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Defense/252 Health/4 Special Defense
Nature: Bold
~ Leech Seed
~ Thunder Wave
~ Iron Head
~ Ingrain

My surprise right here. A custom set I made for ferrothorn that makes it unstoppable. It is called Iron Healer. Being it is really defensive, all the healing makes the opponent simply mad. Setting up with an Ingrain, I get more health from the big root giving just a small bonus of health each turn. Next, you would use Thunder Wave to slow them down. Finish it off w/ a Leech Seed and watch them get mad. Using Iron Head each turn after that causes mass destruction.

Remember to rate out of 10, and tell me what to remove/add.

Thanks!

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just what the fuck is this...?

Pretty much all of these sets have some kind of flaw, such as using any item except Focus Sash on Smeargle (good luck doing anything otherwise,) running Ingrain, which prevents you from switching out, Lefties on a decidedly offensive Pokemon Volcarona (it's not terrible but at the same time an item like Life Orb would be ideal,) and.... Okay, I think you get it.

First of all, you should really practice, do Battling 101, etc. And most importantly, do more than "a few battles" when testing teams.

Thanks for the advice, focus sash on this smeargle won't work, if you knew how to read dumbass. Any thing that I did right?
Ok, don't call someone a dumbass, he is trying to help you. And no, Belly Drum sucks unless it is something weird like Salac / Sub / Belly Drum / Spore, but that shit sucks. Ok, this team is wrong in so many ways. I'll try to help as best I can.

done a few battles and won.
Please rate out of 10, and tell me what to add/remove.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 HP / 4 Defense
~ Spore
~ Spikes / Endeavor
~ Magic Coat / Rapid Spin
~ Stealth Rock

I normally will set up with this and start out with a spore. Following that up, I belly drum and baton pass to my conkeldurr. Stealth rocks are normally used when a xatu/sigilyph is on the opposing team that can cause a threat to conkeldurr later on. The foundation/heart of my team when it comes to a 6-turn sweep.

Good luck trying to use Stealth Rock on Xatu or Espeon (A much more used threat). Smeargle is not an effective Set-Up hazarder and Set-Up passer at the same time imo. It should really focus on one or the other to me. Sash is needed as Smeargle has as much bulk as a piece of wet paper. Magic Coat and Rapid Spin help in two different ways, Magic Coat prevents Hazards before they happen, while Taunt being backed back, but Rapid Spin is somewhat more reliable. Spikes and Endeavor are both nice options, when it is at 1 HP, Endeavor really can just cripple anything, while Spikes is nice to aid in Hazard Set-Up.

Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Attack
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Psyshock
~ Calm Mind
~ Roost

The newest addition to my team, and seemingly helpful as well. When sending out, I start immediately with a calm mind(sometimes two). A fast special sweeper that can take out a whole team with just a calm mind and a psychic.

Latias > Latios for the much better bulk and Latios is more suited for Scarf/Specs. These EV's combined with Calm Mind boosts, allow it to be nearly unbreakable. Timid is much better, it has to outspeed Terrakion and Latios (If not scarfed, it speed-ties). Psyshock allows you to muscle past the pink blobs of wrath.

Magnezone @ Leftovers / Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Special Attack/252 Health/4 Special Defense
Nature: Rash
~ Thunderbolt
~ Volt Switch
~ Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
~ Flash Cannon

A great special sweeper that can take a hit. The hidden power ice is for the pesky dragons that seem to come across this magnezone a lot. I also seemed to have needed an "if all goes bad" move, which would be Tri Attack. Magnet Rise was to avoid its major weakness, ground. Often switched in when needed to take a hit that could possibly OHKO another pokemon in my team.

Magnet Rise is Ok, but Magnezone would rather either be a.) Stalling or b.) Attacking. I personally feel Choice Specs Magnezone will keep up momentum and will provide a way to plow down weakened teams. Flash Cannon is better than Tri Attack for STAB. Volt Switch keeps momentum and is very much useful. Hidden Power Fire does however allow you to kill off Ferrothorn. Magnet Pull is really Magnezone's niche, use it well.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Special Attack/4 Defense
~ Quiver Dance
~ Giga Drain / Hidden Power Ground
~ Bug Buzz
~ Fiery Dance
wi
My primary speedy sweeper. If my smeargle to conkeldurr plan fails, it is often switched over to this little bug. Leftovers were for lack of an idea for an item, sadly. After a quiver dance, it can destroy virtually anything in it's path. Giga drain is to fend off the rock-types that can easily destroy Volcarona. I chose fiery dance over any other fire type move due to the 50% chance to raise Special Attack.

Life Orb provides more solid power. 4 Defense is better, ensuring it can switch into SR 3 times if no damage is taken in between switches, which is very unlikely. Timid is much better for the extra speed. Hidden Power Ground destroys Heatran, which I find more useful than Giga Drain, but the recovery is useful, all up to you here.

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Attack/252 Health/4 Defense
Nature: Adamant
~ Drain Punch
~ Mach Punch
~ Bulk Up
~ Ice Punch

This is what I have been talking about in my Smeargle description. When baton passed to, it is amazing! With its ability iron fist, a single mach punch can OHKO almost any pokemon excluding resistances. The payapa berry is to lower the damage of psychic moves to keep it alive. With its baton pass from Smeargle, this is almost unstoppable.

Papaya Berry = Whut. Life Orb is infinitely better.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Defense/252 Health/4 Special Defense
Nature: Bold
~ Leech Seed
~ Thunder Wave
~ Power Whip
~ Protect / Spikes

My surprise right here. A custom set I made for ferrothorn that makes it unstoppable. It is called Iron Healer. Being it is really defensive, all the healing makes the opponent simply mad. Setting up with an Ingrain, I get more health from the big root giving just a small bonus of health each turn. Next, you would use Thunder Wave to slow them down. Finish it off w/ a Leech Seed and watch them get mad. Using Iron Head each turn after that causes mass destruction.

Just because you make up a creative set, doesn't make it usable. Seriously, Heatran comes in and murders it after it Ingrains. Not being able to switch sucks, and Iron Head is horrible, it won't be flinching anything. Power Whip is an okay STAB that will do decent damage. Protect allows Leech Seed stalling easier, but Spikes can be helpful to set up some extra hazards and serves as a backup in case Smeargle cannot set them up.

Remember to rate out of 10, and tell me what to remove/add.

Thanks!
Tbh I rate this team at a 4/10, not trying to be mean, it just needs a ton of work.

Last edited:
3.5 out of 10 and that is quite generous.

Smeargle: Use Sash, or don't use Smeargle. Simple.

Latios: LatiAs does Calm Mind better. Give it Leftovers.

Zone: You took one of my favorite Pokes and pooped all over it. Magnet Pull ability or don't run Zone. Simple.

Volca: The only flawless set on your team.

Durr: Life Orb. I don't even know what that berry does but Orb is infinetly better then any berry.

Thorn: I respect the creativity but it is not vaible. Your better off with the Standard set.

Last edited:
Instead of Smeargle, use Custap Berry Skarmory.

Give Latios a Life Orb instead of a TwistedSpoon, change its nature to Timid, and use the moves Calm Mind, Dragon Pulse, Surf, and Psyshock.

The best item for your Magnezone is probably a Choice Scarf, since you don't have a revenge killer or any priority besides Conk's Mach Punch.

Volcarona's moves are fine, but change its nature to Timid and give it a Life Orb or Lum Berry instead of Leftovers.

Change Conkeldurr's ability to Guts and move some EVs into Special Defense.

A Bold nature is counter-productive with physical attacks, so Relaxed will be better. Smogon has better moves listed here: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/ferrothorn

Since you insisted on a rating out of 10, I was going to give it a 2 but realized it probably could've been a bit worse, so 3/10.

Importable:

Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Taunt

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Surf

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 136 SDef / 252 Atk / 120 HP
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 48 Def / 252 HP / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Instead of downgrading his team, you guys could At least give him a rate thAt he wants instead of being jerks and saying that he sucks. I'm trying to be nice here, but saying "Go practice, what the fuck is this shit, etc." doesn't help. It just discourages players to go on with their battling career.

I'll give a rate later when I have time.

I was more or less where this guy was 2 years ago. If people were this mean to new players then I wouldn't be here today.

Given that when you are starting out, it is generally a better idea to go with standard sets that are proven to work. I'm not saying your sets couldn't work, but going with tested and proved sets generally yields better results. Another thing to note is that Smeargle is never really viable. Custap berry skarmory is the premier hazard setting lead in the current metagame, but you could try terrakion or garchomp. Your latios set is kind of odd, it is stopped dead by any steel type or tyranitar, and is generally easy to wall. A choice scarf latios could work better and be a decent revenge killer. Remove tri-attack and magnet rise from Magnezone, and replace them with flash cannon / sleep talk / volt switch. Additionally HP fire over HP ice is much better against ferrothorn, which removes him so he can't wall latios. Also use magnet pull to eliminate steels. Next your conkeldurr if a good set, but not really fit to the way I'm rebuilding your team. I would use a more offensive fighting type like lucario, keldeo, or terrakion. Or use a DD dragonite to further capitalize on magnezone's removal of steels. The ferrothorn has no place, use one of the offensive threats I mentioned earlier as a replacement.

While I love the creativity, this is unfortunately not a good team. I will try to help without degrading you.
First, people are saying to run a focus sash on your Smeargle, which won't work. You can't use Belly Drum at 1 hp. He wants to use DrumPass, so let him. Smeargle is fine, just change the item to Sitrus Berry, Leftovers, or Lum berry.
Next, as stated you have no revenge killer other than conkeldurr. Try a Scarf Latios set instead of the current one.
Volcarona is fine. Don't change it.
For Magnezone, try Substitute and Hidden Power Fire in place of Tri Attack and Hidden Power ice. Optionally you can use volt Switch in place of Magnet rise but that's ok.
Next, Conkeldurr is a good reciever, but I don't see the need for bulk up when you are going to be at 4x attack. Run Payback or ThunderPunch there or try a Lucario as your reciever.
finally, run a move set of Stealth Rock/Power Whip/Spikes/Leech Seed or Ferrothorn and change to Leftovers or Rocky Helmet. You need hazards and a way to beat Bulky Waters, and this set fits the bill.
Hope I helped!

I disagree with two things you have mentioned bobbyvaporeon :
1.) Smeargle.
That is why I recommend Shift Gear and Sash. It is much more helpful that Belly Drum and won't be killed off by any attack before it can Spore the opponent. Here is why you are wrong: Smeargle has a crappy 75 Speed, meaning it can be outspeed before it attack and it has HORRIBLE bulk, making DrumPass nearly impossible.
2.)Ferrothorn.
Ok, I see the basis of this, but I much prefer Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Power Whip / Leech Seed, as it can cripple stuff like Latios.

I'm not a huge fan of smeargle in the first place, but belly drum is much to hard to pull off on this. Belly drum could be replaced with Shift Gear (1+ attack, 2+ speed) which allows it to almost always pull of pass assuming, the opponent doesn't have powerful priority. Shift gears speed boost allows interesting plays like this : smeargle uses shift gear. Smeargle is knocked to 1 hp by attacker. Smeargle uses spore. Smergle passes boost to sweeper, while opponent must also change or keep asleep poke in. This set only really should be used with focus sash as this allows it to survive powerful attacks with 1 hp.

Then again, I still don't advise using smeargle at all in OU (maybe on a baton pass team) as so many threats such as breloom, scizor (both of which have very high usage), conkeldurr, and even perish song politoed easily make smeargle useless. It is also useless if stealth rock is on the field.

Oops, someone already suggested this set.

I'm gonna try to rate this team nicely:
1) Smeargle will not work. Sleep is not enough to let you drum and pass, so you will only get off a pass if quick claw activates. I would switch this set, as has already been mentioned, to Custap Skarmory.
2) Latias really does do Calm Mind better. Same attacks, but holding leftovers and Timid natured, with 4 def/252spa/252spe investment.
3) Run Heatran over magnezone. He has a better defensive typing, better Spa, a better ability if you're running analytic, and better coverage.
4) Run Terrakion over Volcarona. Volcarona is 4x SR weak, and if you have a team with no spinner, you can't afford it. Terrakion is faster and will add some versatility to your team.
5) Conkeldurr should hold a life orb over petaya berry, as resisting psychic attacks won't help him that much, since they're mainly special and he's trying to increase his physical bulk. He should also run sheer force over iron fist, as it is superior in 9/10 battles.
6) Ferrothorn really doesn't want to run ingrain. While the healing is nice, the side effect is not. Take this circumstance, from an actual battle I played with this team:

Turn 12:
Rotom-W used Volt Switch!
Rotom-W went back to dragonmaster1234!
Dragonmaster1234 sent out Infernape!
Ferrothorn used Ingrain!
Ferrothorn absorbed nutrients using its roots!
Turn 13:
[I want to take ferrothorn out against the Infernape who OHKOs me. But I can't.]
Infernape used Fire Punch!
It's super effective!
Ferrothorn lost 100% of its hp! Ferrothorn fainted!

As you can see, the only time you really want to run ingrain is baton pass teams, where you will have so many buffs that you wont want to switch out and phasing can kill. You would be better off using the standard set.
7) All mons with no physical attacks should always run a -atk nature and 0atk IVs.
8) If you keep magnezone, run 31/3/31/31/31/2 IVs.
9) Many raters won't want to rate your team. The reason is that you have so little description. Additionally, the rules say that you must have 3 lines of description about each mon.
10) The rules also say that you should have tested your team before posting it. A few battles at about 1200 ACRE don't really count. When I laddered up to 2000 and then switched to this team, I went 1-4.
11) I would really check out Battling 101, it is very helpful and you will get lots of advice there.
12) Last, check out #mentor on IRC.
Sorry everyone for stealing your suggestions.

Edit: Since you are insistent about a rate out of 10: 2.25/10

Last edited:
Sorry, double posting:
I would call this an offensive team. Therefore, you should have a check to all the defensive threats:

• Standard - ?

• Support - Conkeldurr

• Tank - Conkeldurr

• Physically Defensive - Volcarona
  • Specially Defensive - ?

• Support - Conkeldurr

• Utility - Magnezone

• Support - ?
  • Calm Mind - ?

• Specially Defensive - Ferrothorn

• Calm Mind - ?

• Standard - Volcarona, kinda

• Specially Defensive - Volcarona, kinda

• Tank - volcarona

• Substitute + Protect - magnezone, kinda
  • Britscor Stallbreaker - magnezone, kinda
  • Swords Dance - magnezone, kinda

• Bulky Support - magnezone, kinda
  • Resttalk - magnezone, kinda

• Physical Tank - ?

• Utility Counter - ?

• Specially Defensive - volcarona, kinda

• Support - Latios, kinda
  • Reflect / Refresh + Calm Mind - Latios, kinda

• Stallbreaker - ?

• Specially Defensive - Smeargle if it sets up rocks

• Defensive - ?

• Defensive - Conkeldurr

• Physically Defensive - ?

• Support - ?
  • Choice Scarf - ?

• Support - ?

• Prankster - ?

• Tank - ?

• Rapid Spin - ?

• Defensive - Volcarona, kinda

• Substitute + Toxic - ?
  • Protect - Magnezone, kinda

• Specially Defensive - Conkeldurr

• Rest Hydration - ?
  • Wish Support - ?

• SubSeed - Ferrothorn, kinda

• Max Speed - ?
  • Bulky - ?

• Standard - ?

Last edited:
Props on originality, but I would personally stick to the standard sets, as your team doesn't have much direction anyway. It would be difficult to give suggestions without making an entirely new team, so I'll just rate the move sets. For smeargle, I would change the item to focus sash, and try shift gear, baton pass, spore, and maybe stealth rocks. I disagree on the custap skarmory, as this team will likely get rappid-spinned, as it has no ghost type, and is more balanced orientated, and when Skarmory goes down, he will have nothing to back it up. Smeargle is a gimmick pokémon, and I wouldn't suggest using him, especially for an early sweep technique. You could possibly change him for something like celibi to pass calm mind boosts, but I don't really want to create an entirely new team. This team is more balanced orientated, and could use a change for your latios. A latias would work great as a late game cleaner, and is generally better as a calm mind user. I would suggest a set composed of calm mind, recover, substitute, and dragon pulse. This set has won me so many games where it was something like 1-5, and latias does an amazing job of pulling it off. There is no need for your magnezone, tbh, as he doesn't even have magnet pull. I second replacing him with heatran, namely ballon-tran, as he keeps the deffensive pressure with ballon if you gave him hp ice, earth power, lava plume and toxic, as he would nab those pesky dragons trying to eq you. I'm not really that much of a fan of volcarona on this team, specifically without you having rapid spin. I would maybe change him for something like, idk, lando t. Not much to say for your conkell. Just listen to the above statements, along with ferrothorn.
Out of ten I give you a strong 2.
Try testing more, and have a focus of where you are going with a team, other than originality.

Aside from the advice others have made, I would just like to point out that a 252 HP 252 SpAtk 4 Def Quiet 0 Speed IV Specs Analytic Magnezone is obviously amazing. If you want to use Analytic Magnezone (which yes, is amazing) just use

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Nature: Quiet
~ Thunderbolt
~ Volt Switch
~ Hidden Power [Fire]
~ Flash Cannon

Import that. Add the 0 Speed IV then since I forgot which line it gors on the Showdown import and i'm way too lazy to check lol.

Dude, I'm sorry, but you will get recked by my team and I'm a newbie too....
First off, Smeargle will get OHKO'ed immediately, so now as the battle begins, it will already be 6-5
Then I'll proceed to Stealth rock and Toxic Spikes....
Then I'll switch to Snorlax(the set with rest, <insert fighting move>, sleep talk, Toxic) and take out one or two pokemon, and then switch to my favored double screener and sweep your team.
I could honestly take out your entire team with three pokemon....

I'd give your team a 3-4 range, needs some serious work, for starters, take smeargle off your team, you obviously don't know how to use him.

Latios is a great pokemon, but why a twisted spoon? I understand you want more power with psychic, but that is just not the right choice, what are you trying to do with more powerful psychic attacks? It may get you more damage on pokemon, but not much, especially since the 1.2 damage means nothing to a special wall.

and Magnezone... I have to complain a lot about this one.... analytic? what the heck is that? Magnezone is a revenge-killer, plain and simple, so how are you supposed to revenge kill anything without trapping them? And to be honest, I've never seen a sweeper Magnezone in my life.

Volcarona's set is good by itself, but assessing the entire team..... you'll probably be relying on that Volcarona a lot since at least, nobody would be able to do the smeargle conkeldurr trick on me anytime soon...

And conkeldurr.... If you were planning on baton passing to it all along, why do you need bulk up in their?

And ferrothorn, the others have given you plenty of grief over this... and I don't need to add my own two cents...

So all in all, this team is pretty bad, but not worse than the first team I came up with...

rememeber... 3/10, you'll probably need to come up with a better/more unpredictable core strategy, as your pretty fucked as soon as you fail to make the baton pass!

If you want a psychic special attacker, you should get Alakazam. BUt if ypu are going for a physical psychic type, use gallade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)