SS OU New to team building, RMT AKA: "I don't know what I'm doing"

Team Link: https://pokepast.es/1715382b12ae7eb8
I'm pretty beginner especially with team building. Peaked 1400ish using someone else's team so it may be a skill thing but here's the team:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave
I wanted to have a good defensive switch in on both sides of the spectrum. The point Ferrothorn was to stack spikes as well as cripple offensive threats with thunder wave. I also didn't want it to be afraid of various fairies so I gave it gyro ball as a relatively powerful offensive tool in case of taunt or if someone sees it as setup fodder. Leech seed and Leftovers was for general recovery.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
I chose Lando as a reliable stealth rocker, I didn't want to put too much pressure on Ferro for all of my hazards which lead me to choosing Lando as a good defensive switch in that is capable of switching in to many offensive other threats, set up rocks and either u turn out or toxic to cripple the wall. Lando on Lando is a common situation for me (at least in low elo) so hitting it with toxic could ruin it in the long run. I chose rocky helmet to punish u turn from weaker attackers like dragapult and intimidated Lando to build up chip.

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Mind Blown
I chose Blacephalon with scarf to beat weavile which now that I think about it why would I do that I click shadow ball weavile switches in and beats me. But I also chose it as a powerful endgame sweeper/wallbreaker with mind blown and it's stabs. I decided to run trick cause I didn't really feel like I needed and coverage and I didn't click anything else too much and it's always nice to cripple a wall. It especially ruins Toxapex switching in.

Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
I thought Melmetal would be a nice bulky but also quite powerful attacker. Not much likes switching into a double iron bash, and I can bait several threats in and punish them with my coverage moves. It's also generally bulky meaning it can take an attack and ko in return worst case scenario. In my view it's a very solid and powerful Pokemon that threatens a lot of the meta game.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
I chose Tyranitar to switch and and force out dragapult, sandstorm makes it a very bulky pokemon and it can beat a lot of threats like weavile, dragapult, and other commonly used mons like Heatran, and Tornado's Therian. A lot of defensive switch ins get hurt a lot by choice banded crunch and in my experience are often 2hko'd by the sheer power of Tyranitar. I chose dragon tail over other (probably better) moves because I wanted to take advantage of the hazards I could potentially setup and do decent damage as well.

Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Teleport
- Body Press
- Scald
- Future Sight
Basic Slowbro set really. It's there to get in weavile and kill it, burn stuff with scald, and set up for its friends with future sight. Teleport to switch in, and heavy duty boots to switch in a lot. I chose this as a solid defensive wall that can switch in to Lando, Heatran, forces out Toxapex, and can cripple pretty much any physical attackers. Very basic and solid pokemon and I felt it could fit the team well.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm relatively new to playing OU, just been watching YouTube, and super new to team building so if the team just isn't there I'm willing to scrap it all or change fundamentals. Thanks!

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
Solid team, however you lack a hazard clearer. I’d recommend Corviknight over Ferrothorn as your team lacks recovery outside of Regen so you’ll be chipped down easily.
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Also, I am of the opinion that Dragapult is a better Pokemon than Blace. Dragon typing lets it switch in on a lot more and you have Flamethrower to hit the same stuff Blace does. And its high Speed means you can afford to run Specs for more damage than Scarfed Blace does. U-Turn is amazing also.
Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

Body Press Slowbro likes Colbur Berry to beat Weav.

The team is good for someone who’s new to team building I would take Xenonhero126’s suggestions

You said you wanted to force threats out with tyranitar but if you use a more specially bulky one you can still force those threats out and disrupt opponents weather more frequently

I would run physically bulky Ferro maybe replacing thunderwave with knock off but ya know it’s really just preference.

If you maker Ferro physical then maybe make slowbro special (which then just change to slowking since it has more special bulk)

if you wanted a lot of raw power choiceband melmetal can be pretty effective at that.

Anyways for somebody’s who says they don’t know anything about team building this is a pretty solid team :)

Amstan

what the flip
is a Tiering Contributor
decent team but some noticeable weaknesses

First change I did was Lando for Corviknight. Corv improves the Excadrill matchup, switches into Dnite,Lele,Kart,Rilla and to an extent, Weavile. It provides defog support and a pivot to Blacephalon

2nd change was just the Blace moveset. Mind Blown kinda sucks as blace is already weak to rocks and taking away more hp doesn't help. Flamethrower is more consistent and overheat is a better nuke.

The next change was Melmetal for Toxapex. Toxapex serves as a check for rain w/o volcanion and just serves as a defensive mon that can reliably check half the tier.

4th change was the ttar moveset. Imo phasing with spikestack is a rlly fun playstyle. I changed ttar to spdef rocks as you need a pult/blace check. It also serves as a tran switchin and phases with roar.

The 5th and final change was bro to gastro. Gastro checks literally every water, all rain, switches into tran, and serves as the ground of this team. Its a very versatile mon that will work decently well here.

tbh toxapex can be replaced with anything that isn't utter dogshit but more your decision.
have fun with the team

new team: https://pokepast.es/4855a29053f218d4

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
decent team but some noticeable weaknesses

First change I did was Lando for Corviknight. Corv improves the Excadrill matchup, switches into Dnite,Lele,Kart,Rilla and to an extent, Weavile. It provides defog support and a pivot to Blacephalon

2nd change was just the Blace moveset. Mind Blown kinda sucks as blace is already weak to rocks and taking away more hp doesn't help. Flamethrower is more consistent and overheat is a better nuke.

The next change was Melmetal for Toxapex. Toxapex serves as a check for rain w/o volcanion and just serves as a defensive mon that can reliably check half the tier.

4th change was the ttar moveset. Imo phasing with spikestack is a rlly fun playstyle. I changed ttar to spdef rocks as you need a pult/blace check. It also serves as a tran switchin and phases with roar.

The 5th and final change was bro to gastro. Gastro checks literally every water, all rain, switches into tran, and serves as the ground of this team. Its a very versatile mon that will work decently well here.

tbh toxapex can be replaced with anything that isn't utter dogshit but more your decision.
have fun with the team

new team: https://pokepast.es/4855a29053f218d4
Not to be pedantic but you’re only supposed to change 2 mons (change as in change the Pokemon, moveset changes are fine)

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
rmt rules says strongly recommend not changing more then 3 but ok
Oh then I’m wrong.

Tbh I don’t see the appeal of Gastrodon here, Slowbro or Pex does the same things you mentioned, and imo Lando is the more important mon to keep than Ferrothorn, but of course it’s up to SuperSunny to decide which version works best.

I think I'll drop Slowbro for Toxapex for a generally reliable defensive switch in on the defensive side, it can hurt a lot of things that I've been struggling with. I've been using this more offensive special defense Tyranitar set:
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 26 Atk / 230 SpD
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
I dropped a little special bulk to let it hit a little harder as well as t wave to cripple things on the switch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)