New OU List (January 2009)

Predictions:

Definitely not meant for UU: Raikou, Gallade, Regis, Milotic, Spiritomb, Shaymin, Mismagius, Abomasnow, Slowbro/king, Smeargle, Mesprit, Magmortar, Blaziken, Uxie, Dusclops, Slaking, Umbreon, Porygon 2, Tangrowth, Honchkrow, Staraptor, Crobat, Azumarill, Pinsir, Sceptile, Roserade.
Just added a few to your list. Reason behind them:

* Uxie -- Yawn + U-Turn + Stealth Rock + Screens + Great Walling Ability
* Dusclops -- It's same with Spiritomb basically.
* Slaking -- CB Slaking = FPS Doug's Boom Headshot
* Umbreon -- Look at its base HP/Defenses and its ability to Mean Look, Sub, Yawn and Baton Pass to almost anything or Wish heal teams.
* Porygon 2 -- Self Explanatory. If it can jolly rogers stop Heatran/Magnezone, then it can cripple a lot of shit like Magneton, Ninetales, Arcanine, etc. A lot of other reasons as well, but if you have ever used him, you should know what I'm talking about.
* Tangrowth -- Fast Powders, STAB Power Whip, very nice Physical Wall + Synthesis, Specially Available as well. Very versatile.
* Honchkrow -- Very offensively versatile, both Physical & Special; on top of that, STAB Sucker Punch dents shit in UU, while special attacks can kill steels such as Heat Wave.
* Staraptor -- Brave Bird + Close Combat + Intimidate + Great Attack & Speed... It's pretty much obvious.
* Crobat -- Fastest sleeper & taunter, can deal great damage, U-Turn available, can Plot if he needs. Shuts a lot of UU down with taunt, can Roost, early game Weather set-upper.
* Azumarill -- Huge Powah. Enough said. 436 Attack is nothing to joke about in UU, especially Super Effective Waterfall on Steelix with STAB. Encore available if used as annoyer.
* Pinsir -- What in UU can wall this shit? Earthquake + Close Combat + X-Scissor + Stone Edge covers basically everything. Levitaters can't even get away from Earthquake. Weezing = Earthquake says hi.
* Sceptile -- Speed + Offense, BOTH offenses... It can sweep UU easily, if not, wear it down overtime, and switch if a counter is pulled up. I don't think currently there's any UU that can match his speed besides Electrode, who can't do shit without HP or explode itself.
* Roserade -- This thing was OU at once for a reason. Sleep Power + Toxic Spikes + 125 Base SPA STAB Seed Flare. Can rip UU once other BL suspects are removed.

No offense guys and not trying to mini-mod here, but does that discussion really belong in the New OU List thread?

Anyway, I find it strange how some people think a new OU list will affect the metagame :/

The OU list is pretty much a snapshot OF the metagame. Unless you think more people will use them now as they have gained the status of OU, thus becoming more acceptable to use I suppose...

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just added a few to your list. Reason behind them:

* Uxie -- Yawn + U-Turn + Stealth Rock + Screens + Great Walling Ability
* Dusclops -- It's same with Spiritomb basically.
* Slaking -- CB Slaking = FPS Doug's Boom Headshot
* Umbreon -- Look at its base HP/Defenses and its ability to Mean Look, Sub, Yawn and Baton Pass to almost anything or Wish heal teams.
* Porygon 2 -- Self Explanatory. If it can jolly rogers stop Heatran/Magnezone, then it can cripple a lot of shit like Magneton, Ninetales, Arcanine, etc. A lot of other reasons as well, but if you have ever used him, you should know what I'm talking about.
* Tangrowth -- Fast Powders, STAB Power Whip, very nice Physical Wall + Synthesis, Specially Available as well. Very versatile.
* Honchkrow -- Very offensively versatile, both Physical & Special; on top of that, STAB Sucker Punch dents shit in UU, while special attacks can kill steels such as Heat Wave.
* Staraptor -- Brave Bird + Close Combat + Intimidate + Great Attack & Speed... It's pretty much obvious.
* Crobat -- Fastest sleeper & taunter, can deal great damage, U-Turn available, can Plot if he needs. Shuts a lot of UU down with taunt, can Roost, early game Weather set-upper.
* Azumarill -- Huge Powah. Enough said. 436 Attack is nothing to joke about in UU, especially Super Effective Waterfall on Steelix with STAB. Encore available if used as annoyer.
* Pinsir -- What in UU can wall this shit? Earthquake + Close Combat + X-Scissor + Stone Edge covers basically everything. Levitaters can't even get away from Earthquake. Weezing = Earthquake says hi.
* Sceptile -- Speed + Offense, BOTH offenses... It can sweep UU easily, if not, wear it down overtime, and switch if a counter is pulled up. I don't think currently there's any UU that can match his speed besides Electrode, who can't do shit without HP or explode itself.
* Roserade -- This thing was OU at once for a reason. Sleep Power + Toxic Spikes + 125 Base SPA STAB Seed Flare. Can rip UU once other BL suspects are removed.
Cut this shit out. The big problem with the new UU right now is that everyone's so used to the old UU that they're judging it by new UU standards. Pinsir can't be walled, but so what? Its Base 85 speed is rather mediocre and it can be predicted against by faster threats. Dusclops doesn't have nearly the movepool of Spiritomb nor the bulkiness nor the lack of weaknesses. Crobat provides good support and... that's it. Staraptor's base 100 speed and SR weakness can work against it. Honchkrow is pretty much the same as Pinsir, except Regirock walls it silly. Porygon2 is where it is because it counters OU threats due to Trace. Stuff like Heatran's Flash Fire, Gyara/Mence's Intimidate, Blissey/Celebi's Natural Cure.

But really, the problem is that this is exactly what we're trying to AVOID in the formation of UU is people like you coming in and making all these wild claims without experience. The reason there's such a long time period before the first suspects are named is so that you can get a feel for them by PLAYING the metagame, not just pulling stuff out of your ass.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SDS beat me to it, but I want to add my agreement.

New UU is not the same as old UU and that a large number of the new threats will balance eachother out (Pinser can't be walled? I think Dusclops can take pretty much everything. Nothing stops CB Slaking? Regirock can block all but EQ, and as its choiced.. hello flying type!). I think you said it yourself:
You are kinda assumeing that all the things that new UU has to stop it (Includeing Regice, Crobat, Registeel, and Shaymin.) will get banned. Thats basically like saying Heracross will be to strong for DPPt because all the many things that stop it will get banned.

Please stop making lists like these. Once new UU is up and running then I am sure you will be able to discuss bans to your hearts content, but lets not make assumptions it before it starts.

I'd also like to mention that "* Uxie -- Yawn + U-Turn + Stealth Rock + Screens + Great Walling Ability" is just plain flawed arguing. You just listed traits, and expect us to mindlessly swallow that these are exactly the traits that put you above the UU metagame. But they don't. They're just things about one Pokemon.

Anyway, kindly keep UU related things out of this thread, we have other threads for that.

I counted how many of each types there are on OU.
If a Pokémon has two types, its types go in two sections.
I'm too lazy to look if this has been done already:

Normal: 4
Fighting: 5
Fire: 2
Bug: 5
Grass: 2
Rock: 3
Flying: 9(!)
Steel: 10(!!)
Dragon: 4
Psychic: 9(!)
Ground: 7
Ghost: 3
Electric: 5
Water: 7
Poison: 2
Ice: 2
Dark: 2

There you have it.
According to this, Electric/Ice/Dark/Ground/Fighting move combination is pretty much the best
out here.
The dominating tyoes are Flying, Psychic, Steel, Water and Ground. Electric,
Bug, Dragon and Normal are mediocre.
Account this when making a Choice Pokémon.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tangrowth -- Fast Powders, STAB Power Whip, very nice Physical Wall + Synthesis, Specially Available as well. Very versatile.
I love Tangrowth as much as the next guy, but he defiantly doesn't have fast powders (he's slow as can be) and will die to any special attack (ANY Surf is 2HKO)

I love Tangrowth as much as the next guy, but he defiantly doesn't have fast powders (he's slow as can be) and will die to any special attack (ANY Surf is 2HKO)
I'd like to see Tangrowth to fall for 3 Luvdisc Surfs.
Tangrowth get's faster under the sun, but yeah, Vileplume, Bellosom and Butterfree
are better at powdering.

I'd like to see Tangrowth to fall for 3 Luvdisc Surfs.
Tangrowth get's faster under the sun, but yeah, Vileplume, Bellosom and Butterfree
are better at powdering.
Yep. For the record, Suicune can barely 3HKO Tangrowth with Surf.

I'm pretty sure with Tangrowth in UU, Leafon that's not using Baton Pass will be having trouble competing.

I'm pretty sure with Tangrowth in UU, Leafon that's not using Baton Pass will be having trouble competing.
True; overall, Tangrowth is bulkier. However, Leafeon is faster, but doesn't have
a great ability to work with.
So it's pretty much up to the player to decide whether to take the faster sweeper/passer
or the bulkier sweeper/supporter.
They do do(c wut i did thar?) different things, after all ;)

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You might be overlooking Tangrowth's HP stat.

Also how an OU list thread ended up with discussion on UU (!) and Tangrowth is beyond me.

With new Platinum updates and such, I would think that Dragonite had dropped down to BL, as Salamence has taken away DDance+Outrage combo away from it.

With new Platinum updates and such, I would think that Dragonite had dropped down to BL, as Salamence has taken away DDance+Outrage combo away from it.
Its still got light screen and focus punch going for it though. I also did great against Skymin, which could have bumped it a little more when min was still OU.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The OU list is not 50 Pokemon. :(

I don't know from where people got this idea, since I've seen it more than once posted in different places. It simply isn't true. :(

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The OU list is not 50 Pokemon. :(

I don't know from where people got this idea, since I've seen it more than once posted in different places. It simply isn't true. :(
To add to this for those of you who aren't clear: The OU list is calculated by useage stats over the last three months as described by X-Act in the first post of the thread. While there are about 50 odd Pokemon on this list right now that is entirely subject to change every month.

I know the system is based on "usage", but you don't move a pokemon down simply because another pokemon can do the same thing "better". That would be the same thing as moving Heracross down to BL simply because whatever Heracross does Scizor or Lucario do better. Granted, neither one of them has Megahorn and only Lucario learns Close Combat, but they essentially do the same thing.

EDIT: The speculation of what will happen to the new UU tier has nothing to do with this thread...

I don't think anyone realizes how dangerous Electivire can be. Once you get it to switch into an electric attack (which is fairly easy) more then likely the user of that attack is going to switch out to a physical wall. From their you Meditate and are running around with a 123 Adamant 252 + 1 Attack +1 Speed Life Orb Electivire 2hkoing at least most physical walls and obviously the weaker attackers you outspeed. Just laugh at Celebi who thinks Ice Punch isn't going to do enough and trys to leech seed you.

I don't think anyone realizes how dangerous Electivire can be. Once you get it to switch into an electric attack (which is fairly easy) more then likely the user of that attack is going to switch out to a physical wall. From their you Meditate and are running around with a 123 Adamant 252 + 1 Attack +1 Speed Life Orb Electivire 2hkoing at least most physical walls and obviously the weaker attackers you outspeed. Just laugh at Celebi who thinks Ice Punch isn't going to do enough and trys to leech seed you.
I've never used E-vire myself, but this could be said about any Poke that learns Dragon Dance and carries Life Orb, of which there are quite a few.

I've never used E-vire myself, but this could be said about any Poke that learns Dragon Dance and carries Life Orb, of which there are quite a few.
Not everything that learns Ddance has Electivire's type coverage, lack of weakness to Stealth Rock, and resistance to Bullet Punch. 123 base attack is also pretty high. The next highest Dragon Dancer is Feraligatr at 105 base. Gyarados, Salamence, and Ttar are the only Ddancers with higher base attack, and surprise, they're all OU. However, Electivire still has the above advantages over them.

Electivire is probably exactly where it should be. It's no Salamence or Heatran, but it's still a solid pokemon.

iirc when X-Act posted the list of average ratings of players who used a specific Pokemon, Electivire came out at the bottom of OU by quite a way. That was pre-Platinum, so the rise in Zapdos may boost that slightly, but the introduction of the Rotom forms may counterbalance that somewhat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)