Tournament NeverUsed Snake Draft III: "Team Dump" thread

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
After going 0-2 vs Sun in DPP (along with a tie vs Rain lol) and then moving over to ADV, I made a mission of using basically as many mons as possible this tour in ADV because someone on discord had claimed it was absurdly centralized (like 15 viable mons). Across my first 3 games alone I used 17 mons, only repeating Chimecho, and brought the total up to 22 total across all 5 weeks. If I had played a full season in ADV, I'd have been sure to also get a few more mons in here including at the very least Plusle, Relicanth, Dewgong, and Vigoroth, maybe even go for 30+ distinct mons used. The only mons I used 3 times were Glalie and Haunter, for obvious reasons. Otherwise I really tried to mix up styles and use a respectable amount of variety.

The double normal double poison team I think is really cool but is likely unreliable. If I were going to recommend any of these teams to others, regrettably I'd have to recommend the bog standard Glalie Boom Water offense that uses 5/6 of the S ranks + Huntail. I imagine that team has at least a playable matchup against most everything.

:hitmonchan: :Roselia: :Chimecho: :Wailord: :Pidgeot: :Sableye: - L
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3nu-663644

:metang: :haunter: :chimecho: :flareon: :togetic: :cacturne: - W (older Heysup team to which I gave input but not rly my team so not sharing it)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3nu-664704

:kecleon: :golbat: :arbok: :glalie: :raticate: :grovyle: - W
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3nu-665383

:glalie: :haunter: :flareon: :wailord: :metang: :huntail: - W
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3nu-666111

:haunter: :pelipper: :glalie: :whiscash: :bellossom: :torkoal: - L
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen3nu-667451

Team got knocked out unfort, but I'm pleased with my overall performance; 6-1 in reg season ain't bad at all and I had a lot of fun along the way.

Teams here if you don't wanna read.

Week 1 (vs. Spl4sh) - W
:vivillon: :tauros: :lanturn: :shiftry: :mesprit: :rhydon:
Etern team that shiloh passed me. QD viv wasn't doing so hot, and quz ended up giving me a few ideas/suggestions after some test games (this'll be a running pattern), including endeavor on viv. Didn't end up mattering in the game itself, but I managed to overcome the surprise of darumaka + slowpoke and secure the first W.

Week 2 (vs. Earth) - W
:swellow: :garbodor: :mantine: :hariyama: :shiftry: :piloswine:
This was originally an old RMT that shiloh and jisoo passed me featuring tailwind and CB kabu. Team was cool but in need of updating; we did some on our own, and quz helped shape the final version. Got some misfortune early game, managed a lucky flinch to swing the pendulum back. Late game was kinda weird b/c I didn't know what the cactus set was, decided not to chance the gunk shot and let shiftry clean up, which it did.

Week 3 (vs. Kiyo) - W
:drilbur: :jynx: :samurott: :magmortar: :mismagius: :swellow:
First team of my own making. Saw from the scout that kiyo's teams tended to crumble against heavy offensive pressure + decent xatu usage, so the idea of drilbur HO with jynx was conceived. The dril is not a good mon by any means, but it works well enough as a lead. Freeze set things in my favor pretty early on, though I do think the MU would have been good anyway if I played it right.

Week 4 (vs. shane) - L
:weezing: :rotom: :aurorus: :hitmonchan: :clefairy: :gastrodon:
Shane's a veteran player, so I knew almost immediately that I'd have to get a bit creative. His teams were all solid, but I noticed his ice resists were a little lacking and decided on Aurorus as my weapon of choice. Rest of the team filled itself out, fairly standard bulky stuff with tspikes weezing. Felt confident going in, but I'd made a critical error in ditching power gem for flash cannon (I would fix that if you use this one), as articuno proved. Don't have anyone but myself to blame for the outcome.

Week 5 (vs. rob) - W
:archeops: :mesprit: :pyroar: :ferroseed: :hitmonchan: :rotom:
Feeling a bit discouraged after the prior loss, I redoubled my efforts to ensure something like it wouldn't happen again. Mixed cheops was an idea I sourced from the nupl 2022 team dump thread (thanks again to quz) as well as rocks knock mesp. That core can absolutely crush a lot of balances, and balance just so happened to be what rob tended towards. Contrary to what some said, I honestly don't think the regi crit mattered much; letting it get knocked early meant that cheops won long-term, crit just expedited the process. Made a good call in builder and was rewarded for it.

Week 6 (vs. quz) - W
:vileplume: :hariyama: :liepard: :mesprit: :lanturn: :cryogonal:
Motivation jumped off a cliff since it was Christmas time. Ended up trying ebutton cryo + liepard to punish quz's high mesp usage, with his own plume set rather ironically looking good into the scout too (ran 4 more speed EVs for the mirror kek). AV yama w/ tpunch was a secondary tech to win in the peli MU as well. Just tried to keep calm and put pressure on, since me and quz had done dozens of test games by that point; we were both aware of each other's playstyles to some degree. Got a key read turn 8 and from there everything worked out.

Week 7 (vs. dex) - W
:tauros: :piloswine: :kadabra: :primeape: :skuntank: :lanturn:
Learned we were out the day I was due to play, so I wasn't too concerned about much other than having a semi-functional team with some fun tech. Went with pivot ape to let kad do kad things, not much else to say.

several teams later.jpg

Conclusion

Big shoutout to my teammates for giving it their all each and every week, and to shiloh for choosing to draft me. Won't pester y'all with @s, but you're the best. Hoping we can team up again sometime soon.​

Just like what Togkey said above. Placeholder for now (even though I ain't playing finals) I did my best I guess to balance the OPness of our team and I went with a worst GSC record. Feeling lazy to explain rn so just teampaste for now ig.

GSC:
Fox lead Xadug vs Mr378 Week 1 (L)
https://pokepast.es/b2d553a2e8ded043

Fearow Xadug vs MrSoup Week 3 (L)
https://pokepast.es/65349fc42442be71

Screech Persian Xadug vs ziloXX Week 4 (L)
https://pokepast.es/531389733d432e34

Magmar Xadug vs Felines Week 5 (W)
https://pokepast.es/8e1ab11c4a16817c

RBY:

Fox + big 5 vs Frrf Week 6 (L) https://pokepast.es/87225733e552c93a

Golem + big 5 vs Frrf Week 6 (L) and Week 7 vs phoopes (W)
https://pokepast.es/42c7de2f12b585c3

Nidoking + big 5 vs phoopes week 7 (W)
https://pokepast.es/53127b132cfcd856

Semis GSC vs MrSoup (L)
https://pokepast.es/c43b934f9f920d81

This team wins against everything except Encore ToxTect Dewgong is built around the idea of water lead that I was successful with in GSC NU cup plus Fearow as wincon. Double water because you need a healthy water against Dug thus the back Oct. Xatu and Pineco are auto. Then why Magmar? That's the secret! See y'all in next tours ig.

Last edited:
Posting a bit early because the remaining deciding games of this tournament are out of my hands. I ended up doing a lot more for this tournament than I expected, mostly because of how egregiously long it lasted. I told Ren I wouldn't be putting any effort into this tournament and was going to focus on SCL and some personal life stuff and they still drafted me round 1 AND made me a manager sobsob. Was going to manage with Aawin but felt pretty pressured to drop out by others, although of course we both made it to finals anyway (best NU managers). I'm not going over games I lost bc it bruises my ego!

WEEK ONE:
Togkey vs ACR1
:starmie: :rotom-mow: :rhydon: :ferroseed: :sylveon: :sableye:
Initially wanted to build with the classic Heliolisk Spikes, but Heliolisk is simply not strong enough even with Spikes to break through what it needs to, so I slapped a Starmie and Choice Scarf Rotom-C which pressures bulky Water-types and Defoggers as well as Heliolisk does while also being good into everything else. Sableye and Rhydon are phenomenal compression for offensive teams like this, and very underrated Pokemon in general.
tlenit vs Pokeslice
:clawitzer: :passimian: :snorlax: :dhelmise: :talonflame: :stunfisk-galar:
Still holding faith in this team from winning with it in SCL, Pokeslice tends to use bulky Water balances which Clawitzer is specifically designed to destroy. The flawless coverage and insane power along with SubToxic to weaken its only reliable checks makes it a perfect setup for cleaners like Choice Scarf Passimian. Ice Beam can also somewhat lure Vileplume and Rotom-C which are 2 of the only consistent checks to Snorlax.
Thiago Nunes vs Shiloh
:zweilous: :garbodor: :misdreavus: :gardevoir: :piloswine: :primeape:
Shiloh tends to bring Pursuit-Conscious PsySpam teams, so Spikes with Zweilous and Scarf Primeape makes for an amazing MU. I made this team for NUPLX (you can tell what team we played from the nicknames) and I still think its one of the strongest BWNU teams currently.

WEEK TWO:
tlenit vs inder
Danny vs Floss
:mudsdale: :togedemaru: :mantine: :diancie: :xatu: :rotom-mow:
This was originally made for zS for SCL (didn't bring it :/ ) but its been used pretty regularly by myself and Danny to much success. At this point in the tour I realized I was just going to feed tlenit stuff and he'd win every week. Sub Toxic Encore Togedemaru is something evil I stole off the ladder and it pairs well with Mantine for the SubToxic spam as they both beat different clerics. On top of the Toxic spam for bulkier teams, Rock Polish Diancie and CosmicXatu both have very high odds of just sweeping offensive teams from preview. Diancie is EV'd for something? idk zS probably knows.
OnArceus vs Pokeslice
idr if this was my version of the team or Danny's but the Klanger was my idea! Protective Pads with Clear Body always beats Vileplume and Magnet Rise lets you beat standard Mudsdale.

WEEK THREE:
tlenit vs dex
I think I made this team with Pokeslice (I don't remember but he wanted a shoutout anyway) Toxicroak and non-Scarf Mow are broken af, especially when Mow can bluff Scarf like it can on this team. Sabrina also used this team week 5
Danny vs zS
:ribombee: :guzzlord: :copperajah: :mantine: :silvally-ground: :rotom-mow:
Danny lost bc of a Hurricane miss on the last turn but U-Turn Bee + CB Guzzlord is a nice progress-making core.

WEEK FOUR:
poh vs dex
:gallade: :rotom-mow: :arcanine: :palossand: :silvally-steel: :vaporeon:
Okay this team I for sure made with Pokeslice. Basic VoltTurn with CB Gallade. Gallade is powerful but definitely not worth the effort required to pilot it.
idk if I made any other teams this week ngl

WEEK FIVE:
Gum vs OnArceus
:tyrantrum: :weezing: :stakataka: :gastrodon: :salazzle: :dhelmise:
Not sure what compelled me to create Sub Protective Pads TTrum balance but Gum is the best clicker I've ever met so I like to just give them random breakers and watch them win.

WEEK SIX:
tlenit vs DugZa
:decidueye: :salazzle: :silvally-ground: :stakataka: :xatu: :vaporeon:
Most standard offense you've ever seen but surprise Scarf Xatu I guess. Decidueye is AMAZING post Indeedee-meta.

WEEK SEVEN:
11 deadgames lol

SEMI-FINALS:
tlenit vs Gilbert arenas
:vileplume: :articuno-galar: :rotom-mow: :escavalier: :rhydon: :inteleon:
Finally decided to make a team built around broken Vileplume. Knock Toxic Escavalier and Inteleon destroy most offenses while Setup Vileplume and Rhydon destroy most bulkier teams.
gum vs col49
:tauros: :stakataka: :sylveon: :salazzle: :gastrodon: :rotom-mow:
Wowza Gumstie with another broken breaker lets see what she does with it!
OnArceus vs Alpha Rabbit
:omastar: :starmie: :decidueye: :aurorus: :silvally-ground: :grimmsnarl:
Someone finally used my Omastar HO. This team is a remade version of my Glastrier HO from SCL, with lead Aurorus and Eject Button Grimmsnarl. Meteor Beam Psyshock Starmie is a perfect lure for Omastar's checks and even compresses Rapid Spin onto the team.
Danny vs Sirwings
:inteleon: :heliolisk: :articuno-galar: :vileplume: :stunfisk-galar: :scrafty: NO PASTE! (should be double specs lizards + cb scrafty idr)
SUPER old team of mine that used to have Sirfetch'd > Scrafty that Danny and I rehashed for the current meta. He might have made one of the lizards Scarf or Scrafty Bulk Up but idr.
Togkey vs Monai
:ludicolo: :serperior: :golurk: :duosion: :skuntank: :regirock:
Made this team a while ago, Double Grass is epic but Serperior also hard baits Skutank for Duosion. Rocky Helmet Curse RestTalk Regirock also farms a lot of lazy HO's. I got a GOD matchup in this game vs Monai who brought double Waters + Kangaskhan.

FINALS (so far) :
tlenit vs zS
:exploud: :froslass: :starmie: :passimian: :stunfisk-galar: :rotom-mow:
Okay zS literally just doesn't use real Steel-types LOL he uses Duraludon or Togedemaru AND Exploud is hella underprepped for regardless because it lived in Indeedee-F's shadow for a while AND if he DOES bring a real Steel and not Togedemaru, Plot Rotom-C auto wins because its BROKEN. So yeah Exploud got 1 trillion kills.

cool teams I have in my builder
Braviary for Gumstie
Ice Cream for Gumstie
Malamar for Danny (just use Scrafty)

I'm going to do shoutouts as well even though the tournament isn't over yet because the results won't change anything.
ty ken roxie Finchinator for hosting
ty Ren-chon Beraldinho for drafting me
tlenit best pilot I've ever had you shit on everyone LMAOOOO was fun feeding you teams look forward to doing it again if we ever team in the future
gum its fun scrolling in the builder for some fucker with a high attack stat and making some boring ass VoltTurn with it for you :3
mncmt karma will catch up to you.
HANTSUKI Thiago Nunes Spl4sh you guys speak a language I do not understand and win ur games very epic
MTB stepping up and putting in work when we needed it good stuff
DiannieRatson not the season you wanted but your support in GSC and as a teammate in general was absolutely essential and a whole other half of the game, was really fun teaming with you :3
chub you somehow make RBY look consistent idk how u keep winning. Also not linking ur games and surprising us with random "oh yeah I won btw" multiple times in the season is funny af
Danny sasha OnArceus Pokeslice probably some others for using my teams
Aawin no matter who wins this tour this week we're the best NU managers ever lets win NUPL again
its 4:43 am if I forgot someone idgaf!!

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
I built a ton during this tour to make sure I had teams to test with + to pass if needed, some are better than others and at least one SM team I think I saw someone else use, so the ideas may not be all that original XD!

ADV:

:venomoth::pikachu::mawile::pelipper::cacturne::haunter:
Salac Berry pass into Pikachu is a cool idea, and I think Heysup had gotten onto me about using some bad-into-Venomoth-lead teams in testing :tymp: Pikachu is also just generally great now that the metagame is more offensively focused. The rise in bulky Bellossom as the go-to defensive Grass-type isn't the greatest, but it's not as bad as if Roselia and Cacturne were both super prominent too!! I also liked Agility Pelipper here to potentially sweep late-game after Pikachu weakened the Grass-types for it yay.

:flareon::pikachu::mawile::pelipper::glalie::bellossom:
More lead pass into Pikachu \o/ this time a Flareon, with the idea being to get it free switches against the Water-types. I think the team kind of struggles to have an identity tbh, but it's the brokens + a Pelipper to clean with the help of strong wallbreakers and Spikes, so it can't be that bad.

:octillery::glalie::metang::torkoal::haunter::chimecho:
Aggressively standard Boom spam with lead Octillery, a guy I find a smidge underrated still because there's so many other great Water-types in the format. Not really much to say here, maybe it should be a lead Wailord instead but wanted to use the octopus xd Reflect Chimecho is mandatory here to not lose to Pupitar (don't sleep on him btw he still wins games on the spot if you aren't careful in the builder lol)

:flareon::mawile::hitmonchan::roselia::pelipper::minun:
This team is not very good, but I like the concept of SD Pass into Agility Hitmonchan. Between it and Pelipper, something will win the game. The issue with this build is mostly just really awkward last mon and Roselia probably not being the right fit. Changing Roselia to a specially defensive Glalie and then Minun to Literally Anything Else is likely the move lol

SM:

:aerodactyl::abomasnow-mega::seismitoad::togedemaru::garbodor::xatu:
Mega Abomasnow is a fun Pokemon, and all of the hazard + pivot + paralysis support helps it actually do stuff. Defensive core is about as standard as you could hope for I think, nothing all that special to say here idt, Haze on Garbodor because this team gets mopped by Scrafty otherwise XD.

:sneasel::passimian::blastoise::steelix::whimsicott::weezing:
This is one of my favorite builds from the tour, although it's not really a unique six. I liked the idea of Pursuit Sneasel + setup Whimsicott, and the rest of the slots just fill in really nicely. I think TSpikes Weezing is worth considering here to help against Delphox.

:slowking::sceptile::garbodor::steelix::rotom::incineroar:
I think Garay used something similar to this in the tour? Regardless, Sceptile w/ Future Sight sounded wonderful, so I built this. Main gripe with the build is probably there's no real clear wincon beyond killing shit quicker than your opponent can

:exeggutor-alola::silvally::heliolisk::aerodactyl::comfey::steelix:
I have no clue what the background to this team was. It just looks cool and epic. GG

shoutouts to the team Koalacance nicole7735 poh Jordy004 Heysup Felines avarice Drud SBPC Earth Danny OnArceus Booty etern MrAldo for making this an enjoyable experience n_n hope to see you all next team tour too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)