Social Neurodiversity

Choice Specs Heracross

Banned deucer.
Yeah that was a lot to process but I think I got the gist of it. I could be here all day trying to explain my synesthesia. There’s many aspects of it but one of them is that everything has like a “mental weight” to it. Like idk that comment was kinda heavy lol. On the subject of co-morbidity, I also have OCD and Bipolar.

Last edited:
The namesake of the term, Hans Asperger, was associated with the Nazis during WW2, which has prompted a reevaluation of the term. A small amount of looking things up tells me that the diagnosis has been folded into the larger diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder.
correct! i was gonna say that but thank you for doing it for me/gen ^^

I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder when I was a young kid. At the time (mid 90s) Autism wasn't as well understood as it is today (in fact I'd say it's only been the last 15-20 years people have taken big strides in understanding it), so my parents were told I'd never be able to go to a normal school, hold down a full-time job or live on my own. I have done all of those things.

The namesake of the term, Hans Asperger, was associated with the Nazis during WW2, which has prompted a reevaluation of the term. A small amount of looking things up tells me that the diagnosis has been folded into the larger diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder.
(he was a high level Nazi official, he's responsible of sending thousands maybe more of neurodivergent people to be murdered in camps.

the eugencist ideology asperger developed distinguished which neurodivergent people deserved to live and who deserved, in his view, to be sent to die in the camps, based on usefulness to 'social advancement' ie to Aryan rule. the institutionalization of the asperger's "diagnosis" was a continuation / reproduction of his eugencist ideology, creating 99% arbitrary distinctions between autistic people and positioning some as superior to others, necessarily dehumanizing many autistic people. of course not to say that everyone who has ever used the term aspergers is bad or at fault, even now it is still so mainstreamed, this is not intended in any way to speak negatively of ppl on this thread or anywhere else who use the term unaware. but its important for all of us to understand, when we are (always) fighting for fair treatment for each other, for all of us.

fyi you can in fact still see use of the term asperger's by some right-wing organizations such as "Autism Speaks" and "The Autism Society" (orgs that have been heavily criticized by many autistic people also for other reasons such as infantilization eg within ABA), either just rejecting/ignoring that psychology no longer recognizes any scientific distinction between "aspergers" and autism in general, or taking advantage of the fact that the dsm chose to remove the aspergers diagnosis in an extremely depoliticized way [ie without even acknowledging that he was a perpetrator of genocide and that his diagnostic criteria reproduced eugenics] in order to represent it as like 'well the most recent dsm doesnt officially use aspergers anymore but some clinicians still do'.]

'anyway' hi everyone, nice to 'meet' you all :)

(he was a high level Nazi official, he's responsible of sending thousands maybe more of neurodivergent people to be murdered in camps.

the eugencist ideology asperger developed distinguished which neurodivergent people deserved to live and who deserved, in his view, to be sent to die in the camps, based on usefulness to 'social advancement' ie to Aryan rule. the institutionalization of the asperger's "diagnosis" was a continuation / reproduction of his eugencist ideology, creating 99% arbitrary distinctions between autistic people and positioning some as superior to others, necessarily dehumanizing many autistic people. of course not to say that everyone who has ever used the term aspergers is bad or at fault, even now it is still so mainstreamed, this is not intended in any way to speak negatively of ppl on this thread or anywhere else who use the term unaware. but its important for all of us to understand, when we are (always) fighting for fair treatment for each other, for all of us.

fyi you can in fact still see use of the term asperger's by some right-wing organizations such as "Autism Speaks" and "The Autism Society" (orgs that have been heavily criticized by many autistic people also for other reasons such as infantilization eg within ABA), either just rejecting/ignoring that psychology no longer recognizes any scientific distinction between "aspergers" and autism in general, or taking advantage of the fact that the dsm chose to remove the aspergers diagnosis in an extremely depoliticized way [ie without even acknowledging that he was a perpetrator of genocide and that his diagnostic criteria reproduced eugenics] in order to represent it as like 'well the most recent dsm doesnt officially use aspergers anymore but some clinicians still do'.]

'anyway' hi everyone, nice to 'meet' you all :)
THANK YOU. I'm very sick of seeing so many people throw around the word

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey y’all, I’m autistic (and have ADHD) and proud of it, my parents decided to hide that from me till I was an adult but I managed to figure it out myself. Now I’m a therapist and it’s really nice to be able to help other ND people but like, for real and not just horrible stuff like ABA that gets pushed onto us or “just get a planner and set alarms lol” for ADHD.

Mons is definitely a current fixation of mine but also very fixated on writing down all my thoughts again, which is cool because I end up writing everything from short stories to plots for video games to essays on topics like why ABA is bad or what juoean mentioned about the eugenicist history of diagnosing and “treating” people like us. Nice to meet you all.

Hey y’all, I’m autistic (and have ADHD) and proud of it, my parents decided to hide that from me till I was an adult but I managed to figure it out myself. Now I’m a therapist and it’s really nice to be able to help other ND people but like, for real and not just horrible stuff like ABA that gets pushed onto us or “just get a planner and set alarms lol” for ADHD.

Mons is definitely a current fixation of mine but also very fixated on writing down all my thoughts again, which is cool because I end up writing everything from short stories to plots for video games to essays on topics like why ABA is bad or what juoean mentioned about the eugenicist history of diagnosing and “treating” people like us. Nice to meet you all.
nice to meet you too! wish people would take us seriously

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor

nice to meet you too! wish people would take us seriously
I second this. At least where I’m from, I’ve noticed that people across the board have at least been acknowledging our different kinds of lifestyle more, but that doesn’t mean we’re entirely different from other people, either. As harsh as the ways of the world may seem, we live in an era where our opportunities for encouragement and personal development are at an all-time high. With any demographic, life is simply a matter of perspective.

Ema Skye

Work!
So at the ripe age of 28 I am finally getting an ADHD diagnosis. I finally started on medication today and it was a breath of fresh air for my mind. My hyperactivity primarily comes in the form of a racing mind and fidgetyness. It has been refreshing feeling like my life actually makes sense now. I feel like I understand why everything has been so hard up to now.

All the people saying "yeah I lose track of time sometimes too" or "making a routine is hard" or "i can act impulsive too but have you tried meditation" really show a lack of understanding of the ADHD brain.

I'm meeting with a psychiatrist in a few weeks at the advice of my GP, who has been very supportive of this.

All the people saying "yeah I lose track of time sometimes too" or "making a routine is hard" or "i can act impulsive too but have you tried meditation" really show a lack of understanding of the ADHD brain.
I really relate to this in the amount of non answers to stuff I receive in my life like “just breathe” or “just do x highly complicated thing” and I hate it so much it’s like they might as well run off from me. And so much infantilization like I’m a goddam baby i know this is probably common for most nds I just HATE it.

Last edited:
I really relate to this in the amount of non answers to stuff I receive in my life like “just breathe” or “just do x highly complicated thing” and I hate it so much it’s like they might as well run off from me. And so much infantilization like I’m a goddam baby i know this is probably common for most nds I just HATE it.
PREACH dude, I'm so sick of it, they act like it's so easy like ypu dont know me

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
PREACH dude, I'm so sick of it, they act like it's so easy like ypu dont know me
I think the problem here is that most of the time, the people telling the neurodiverse community these things you’re describing are confusing sympathy and empathy- in other words, people tend to act like they know a lot about topics they themselves don’t have personal experience with. That’s actually one reason I’m interested in working with other autistic people in my career- so people similar to myself could have another option of who to talk to in the case that they feel misunderstood by other professionals.

I think the problem here is that most of the time, the people telling the neurodiverse community these things you’re describing are confusing sympathy and empathy- in other words, people tend to act like they know a lot about topics they themselves don’t have personal experience with. That’s actually one reason I’m interested in working with other autistic people in my career- so people similar to myself could have another option of who to talk to in the case that they feel misunderstood by other professionals.
that's actually a great idea! helping people feel more heard

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I’ve played Scarlet/Violet for about an hour or two so far and while I haven’t had any such issues yet, I do think there’s stuff about the game that’s definitely overwhelming. The nonlinearity of the game should be a good thing, but I’m the kind of neurodivergent that really, really sucks at making choices and appreciates knowing where specifically to go next. Some of the new Pokémon designs (and names) are still taking some getting used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it interesting that I seem to have the opposite problem with open-world games: I know what I'm looking for so well that I'll ignore everything else, main quest included, to do the one thing I set my mind to. Then later, my desire to complete things is in conflict with a lack of interest in revisiting locations I only remember as means to get from A to B, and I have a long chore to get my money's worth without the motivation of working towards a desired reward. It's why I prefer Metroidvaina as an exploration-based format: going through and examining other areas is a legitimate means to get through that one specific door.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)