Netbattle just got DPgraded!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how "Nobody complained about no find tab 3 years ago either" is considered an argument. Its called getting with the times.

There is not a ladder, this makes to decrease of a lot of the motivations to use NB, aspect that a ladder is inserted for being able to play to Netbatte with greater continuity, therefore continuous to use SB for an only motivation: the ladder.

How can anyone hate the sliding bars? That has the be the most convient thing about team building. I can make a team in less than 5 minutes. In shoddy, it takes me almost 30 mins just to do EV's alone..

Correct about everything? Anything that he couldn't respond to, he called retarded and claimed that retarded things weren't worth his time. By this logic, all I have to do is point out one typo and his entire argument falls apart. He assaults people for posting something contradictory to his argument despite the fact that he posted far after them.
Look at what I did not reply to. It has either been already answered, or is factually correct/I do not need to reply in general.

Oh, and to claim that we are being unfair to NB because we gave Shoddy time to improve actually is retarded. If NB came out years ago, and had absolutely no competition that was already developed very well, it may be worth our time. The difference is, if we wanted competitive Pokemon at all, Shoddy was our only option. However, if we want a Pokemon sim now, we can choose the far superior Shoddy to NB, unless of course we want double battles, which everyone already acknowledged to be NB's only advantage.
So I'm going to break down this little by little.

Netbattle did come out years ago, there is no "if". And besides maybe the bots, it had no competition.

Also I believe you are forgetting that dp wasn't always the "mainstream gen", first there was rby, then gsc with netbattle 0.8.45 and etc, then adv all the way to 0.9.6. You are obviously forgetting ADV was a much more competative generation than adv, I garantee alot of (if not all) ADV veterans WILL agree. Dp was not the only "Option" for competative battling.

Shoddy: Very messy team builder, You can easily forget things, Ivs have to be lowered (See my hp ice zapdos example) to use hidden powers on certain pokes. IV restriction in general is fucking stupid and a waste of time. "Typing in EVS/IVs" is possibly the only thing shoddy has over netbattle.
Netbattle: Much cleaner, hard to forget things except maybe hidden powers, which people forget on shoddy anyways. Illegal move restrictions (Pursuit + SD snorlax is the most common example i've seen). "Sliding EV bar" is "bad and waste of time boohoo", EVs is restricted to 510 max unlike shoddy where you can go over.
Since we are trying to stay true in in game mechanics, we have decided to use restricted IVs for pokemon who can't be gotten through breeding.
I don't see the point personally, this isn't "d/p/pt wifi on a computer".

Oh, and you cant use a team if it has more than 510 Evs on a pokemon.
Yes however while building a team you can go over, which for me is personally annoying but I won't dwell on this for hours, people may or may not agree.

Shoddy: No built in calculator
Netbattle: Built in calculator
There are some online, I don't see how this feature makes it "better"
Why would i need to look at another window when I can just look at it on the same screen as my battle??

Shoddy: The stupid fuck feature of needing to select the option "Use this team" in order to preserve the team you want to use.
Netbattle: Uses the team you just loaded and keeps it like that.
I don't see how this is a problem. Sometimes, I am editing a team from 1 tier whilst playing in another tier. Plus I have multiple OU teams and like to look at them all at once.
once again this is more personally annoying to me, besides the fact if you open another netbattle its the exact same thing as having the shoddy team builder open and the server.

Shoddy: iirc you cannot set terrain, therefore nature power will not work
Netbattle: Will work
1. You can't state it is an advantage if it doesn't work yet.
2. We use Nature Power as it works on Wi-fi.
How is that not an advantage? Part of the mechanics that can be possibly used for battles (ex. shiftry in uu can earthquake with sand terrain in uu), are absent.

And if I wanted to play on wifi I wouldn't be posting here in the first place.

Shoddy: Sprites may or may not load, I've seen this care for not only myself, but other people have said it too.
Netbattle: Sprites always load unless you delete your temporary image file.

I have never had a sprite problem with Shoddy Battle.

Shoddy: Has a "modify-able" database for pokemon for anyone
Netbattle: Has a modifyable database, only for moves however. Scripting can fix the other part, i.e. ubers and etc.
Don't fully understand this
Its an advantage shoddy has that netbattle doesnt have. Basically: smogon's CAP

Shoddy: ladder + statistics built in
Netbattle: Ladder and statistics are scriptable, with the latter being able to be scripted in about 30 minutes maximum. Both will be added later in the future.
Ladder wasn't built in, it has to be made for each server. Also, stats aren't built in. All that happens is that at the beginning of the battle, unseen to both players, the server saves their teams with their battle log, from which doug's script goes through to make the stats.
Ok thank you for correcting that.

Shoddy: 1 generation
Netbattle: all generations + things such as true gsc, 200, and rby with trades
OK, and how much longer has Netbattle been around to have those things built in?
Point taken, regardless to the fact I've seen alot of people go "it's easier to add all 4 gens to shoddy than 1 to netbattle", where are the 4 gens on shoddy?

Shoddy: Has the find battle tab.
Netbattle: No find battle tab, but noone complained about this 3 years ago now did they?
No, but it is a nice feature
Yes I agree, which is why I hope bayleef will add it later

Anti-flood-bot says "Hi"
This is new to me since I did not know that was around (since I don't go on shody)

Shoddy: You cannot scroll UP THE CHATBOX, because if someone says something in main chat it goes to bottom.
Netbattle: CAN FREELY SCROLL CHAT
you dont need to use caps to make your point
They are used to emphasize the point.

Shoddy: open source, granted you cannot do much with it unless "DougJustDoug" wants to use your slim # of lines of source code.
Netbattle: Closed source.
and how does that make Netbattle better? I've always viewed open source as better.
This is a compare/contrast of pro's and cons of both sides, I'm not saying open source is better/closed source is better.

Shoddy: Slow interface
Netbattle: Clean and fast interface.
Shoddy's interface is very fast and clean for me
I've seen alot of complaints (outside of this post and shoddy), either you have a good computer, you are used to it, or it isn't slow for you.

Shoddy: No voice chat
Netbattle: Voice Chat
I don't want to talk to the people I fight
Then disable voice chat.

Also, I happen to like Macs and the fact that you seem to not care about me means that I have lost some respect for you. Don't insult others computer preference when they have their own reasons. I know for a fact that My mac gets everything I need to done and i do not see a need to get a Windows just to use a pokemon simulator.
How does insulting your OS lead to someone "not caring about you"?

And you can use virtual pc to run netbattle, or darwine to use netbattle, so mac people are not left in the cold, you just need to do some research >_>

I don't see how you can't do anything with the source of shoddy. Please explain.
Besides DougJustDoug's work and colins, what "HUGE BREAKTHROUGHS" have been accomplished?

I love how "Nobody complained about no find tab 3 years ago either" is considered an argument. Its called getting with the times.
I don't see how it can't be considered an argument.

There is not a ladder, this makes to decrease of a lot of the motivations to use NB, aspect that a ladder is inserted for being able to play to Netbatte with greater continuity, therefore continuous to use SB for an only motivation: the ladder.
As far as I'm concerned the ladder is horribly designed. Glicko proves nothing but how much you can whore your playtime. Elo > Glicko.

Besides the fact if you read my last post, here, I don't need to repeat myself.

How can anyone hate the sliding bars? That has the be the most convient thing about team building. I can make a team in less than 5 minutes. In shoddy, it takes me almost 30 mins just to do EV's alone..
Huh? Shoddy's style is way easier to use and to understand. 30 minutes? I'll take that as sarcasim. I really can't see placing 252/ 96/ 160 in appropriate slots could be so difficult or 252/252/4. The only nice thing net battle has is where you can typing in the moves you want.

Nice to see doubles, although as of now that's really the only reason I see to use it aside from playing past gens.

Also stop comparing Shoddy's release to this assuming because Shoddy at release was a buggy piece of shit, this can be released as a buggy piece of shit. When Shoddy came out, it was the only non-wifi method of DP battling, and still hardly anyone used it until it became a lot less buggy.

The only reason Shoddy got away with having a shit release is because the lack of alternatives at the time. With NB it should really be a given that if you're trying to directly compete with something that's widely used and has fixed/added a lot of things, you don't release something that's buggy and lacking important features and assume people are going to leave something better for it.

Huh? Shoddy's style is way easier to use and to understand. 30 minutes? I'll take that as sarcasim. I really can't see placing 252/ 96/ 160 in appropriate slots could be so difficult or 252/252/4. The only nice thing net battle has is where you can typing in the moves you want.
No sarcasm, and... the sliding bar is easier than manually. How hard is it to understand? On my first day of netbattle, i did it with no problem. So tell me, how does typing your EV's manually have an advantage of using the slider?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Shoddy: open source, granted you cannot do much with it unless "DougJustDoug" wants to use your slim # of lines of source code.
Netbattle: Closed source.
Where the hell did this comment come from?

I've been reading this topic and I find most of the back and forth to be pretty stupid. I applaud the team that is making a DP battle simulator for NetBattle. Since I don't make a dime off of Shoddy, Smogon, or anything else related to Pokemon -- I have absolutely no reason to engage in conversations that have an "Us versus Them" tone to them. Good luck with the simulator. It sounds like a good thing for the entire competitive pokemon community.

But, that comment quoted above appeared to be a dig on me, which I really do not appreciate.

Let me clarify something about my involvement with Shoddy Battle -- I didn't write Shoddy Battle. I don't "own" Shoddy Battle. I don't control Shoddy Battle. So, your implication above that I somehow approve or deny all changes to Shoddy source code is patently false. You can change whatever you want, and you can use it. In fact, that's EXACTLY what I do.

I got involved with Shoddy programming because I wanted to make a battle simulator with custom-made pokemon. Fortunately, I discovered that Colin had posted the entire source code of his simulator in a public repository and allowed anyone to download it and customize it. So that's what I did. I didn't ask for Colin's permission, and I didn't get anything "approved". I took the open-source code and I made a server that implemented a bunch of CAP pokemon. After that, Smogon asked if I could customize the code and make a server that implemented Smogon's ladder. I said, "yes" -- and I made the Smogon University server. Once again, I didn't ask for Colin's permission nor did I need to submit my changes for his approval. I made the server the way I wanted it. I was able to do this because it is completely open-source.

It is still completely open-source. And there are plenty of people that make changes galore. There are numerous custom servers out there. Numbuh214 has a custom server and a custom client. I heard that someone was working on implementing doubles for Shoddy, although I haven't heard of progress on that for some time. My point is that Shoddy is open-source and many people have availed themselves of the opportunity to change the code AT WILL.

Your statement that Shoddy is "open source, granted you cannot do much with it unless "DougJustDoug" wants to use your slim # of lines of source code." is complete and total bullshit. I have nothing to do with changes you make to your copy of the code. You can change code to your heart's content, and you are free to run a client and/or server with all those changes. There is absolutely nothing I can do to stop you.

If you would like to put changes on the CAP server or the Smogon University server -- then yes, I have a whole lot to say about that. But, I think it is perfectly reasonable that I have the right to completely control the servers that I host and administer.

Shoddy Battle is open-source code. You can thank Colin for that. I consider it an incredibly generous gift that he spent so much time making a simulator, and then gave the full source code to anyone and everyone to modify as they please.

Do not imply that I have somehow changed or interceded in the basic premise of Shoddy Battle's distribution. I'm an admin of a Shoddy server -- like AA, Captain, Numbuh214, Statigar, and a bunch of others. I just happen to admin two of the most popular Shoddy servers out there. But, that doesn't mean that I can prevent you from making changes to the code and using them.

Shoddy: iirc you cannot set terrain, therefore nature power will not work
Netbattle: Will work
I can't say this is a good thing, really. For one, Shoddy is set to have a building/Wi-Fi terrain. Then, any other terrain could give one of the players an advantage that Wi-Fi doesn't have, since one could for example set the terrain to Snow/very tall grass to inflict 60% freeze/sleep with their Jirachi/Togekiss or even Blissey with Secret Power

I sense this is the beggining of a NBS/Shoddy war, which will not be helpful to either.
But even worse than that, I feel that most people (tough Doug at least does it with some "diplomacy") want to bury NBS right of the start. I'm not involved in the develepment in any way (just an aquaintance to some ppl), but let me assure you it won't happen.
Noone is descriminating Mac/Linux users. They can always use emu's.
White Base has been the most correct one posting here, comparing both (even tough some prefer to close their eyes instead).
Doug, you really don't know who he is?
It doesn't really matter. The reason belongs to facts, not to people.

Let me clarify something about my involvement with Shoddy Battle -- I didn't write Shoddy Battle. I don't "own" Shoddy Battle. I don't control Shoddy Battle. So, your implication above that I somehow approve or deny changes all changes to Shoddy source code is patently false. You can change whatever you want, and you can use it. In fact, that's EXACTLY what I do.
Ok I think you are taking what I said wrong.

Yes I'm very well aware that you do not own shoddy battle, but let me ask you a question, how many modifications to the source code used in the smogon server has been made by some random user?

That was the whole point I was trying to get at, It wasn't a directed attack at you.

Another point I was making is that I ONLY see smogon server top, besides CAP and "Official Server" (Ignore this server I'm using it as an example of top servers), the rest of the servers are just for very small communities, hence is another reason why I made that statement. Since you are the admin, you were included in my statement to include users part of the source code in the shoddy source.

Sorry you took it the wrong way/felt I was attacking you.

Noone is descriminating Mac/Linux users. They can always use emu's.
They can use darwine/a virtual pc if they are on a mac, and they can use WINE on a linux, this whole "WINDOWS ONLY THEREFORE IT SUCKS" arguement is just a lack of research.

Doug, you really don't know who he is?
It doesnt matter who I am, as far as I and they are concerned I am just a user on this site

Recently, I've heard that Colin is implementing a double battle system on Shoddy. Is this true?

If it is, I don't see why people would choose netbattle over Shoddy then.

Here are the only improvements I can see from what has been said that effect teambuilding/battling:

Cleaner Interface
Auto Save Logs
Team Creator stops you from adding more than 510 EVs
Ignore Function
Built in Battle Calculator
Edit: Forgot Doubles

At least now we might stand a chance against the Japanese who destroyed us at the Official Tournament last year.

much like the orignal the update still crashs my PC at random with a system error (not a RTE this causes me to blue screen) in battle it happens at random when i click on a button to do a action in battle. i have no idea why it does this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)