Other Metagames neon impasse [usum bh]

Should HBA fight SR

• Total voters
Neon Impasse

As gen 7 BH comes to a close, I'd like to take this opportunity to post a final RMT. Building this team was quite an experience, considering how inactive I've been, but it's been in the works for a while and I think everything came out ok. S/O HBA for reviewing this/putting up with my antics. The music is wack but I listened to it a lot during building so I guess it's here.

:mewtwo-mega-y: :greninja-ash:
Most of my teams start with the convergence of two mons I want to build around and seeing how they work together. After a few different pairings, I decided on PH MMY and CB Ash-Greninja. MMY acts as a late-game cleaner while helping the team break things it wouldn't otherwise be able to. Ash-Gren punishes any mons willing to switch in on it, threatening Giratina for the rest of the team and punishing Zygarde. It also traps Gengar and weakened MMX with pursuit.
:mewtwo-mega-y: :greninja-ash: :shedinja:
Then, I decided to add Shedinja as an improof to the offensive core while also putting more pressure on the opponent. Shedinja is an incredibly consistent mon in the metagame, providing an insane amount of role compression while still being good. I'll explain more later on.
:mewtwo-mega-y: :greninja-ash: :shedinja: :chansey:
Imposter Chansey. If you've read any of my other RMTs, you'll know I like punishing mid-ladder players without improofs. The mon is also good at scouting and gains momentum in a good amount of situations, but those are side benefits.
:mewtwo-mega-y: :greninja-ash: :shedinja: :chansey: :zygarde-complete:
Set-up control is a necessity in the current meta, and in my opinion, prankster is one of the most consistent ways to shut down set-up sweepers. I went with Prankster Zygod as a secondary Gengar check in case I mispredict or misplay with Greninja. It also traps non shed-shell imposter, which is important because improofing on this team isn't great.
:mewtwo-mega-y: :greninja-ash: :shedinja: :chansey: :zygarde-complete: :kyogre-primal:
Finally, I wanted to slap a fat bouncer on the team, and I (Zovrah) chose POgre, for three reasons. It
1.) Beats Diancie
2.) Isn't weak to rocks
3.) Isn't named Ho-Oh.
Set isn't standard but it removes hazards while still maintaining good STAB options and trapping imposter/passive fat mons. It's a pretty cool mon, and has honestly been forgotten about in the post MRay era.

Team
:sm/mewtwo-mega-y: :sm/greninja-ash: :sm/shedinja: :sm/chansey: :sm/zygarde-complete: :sm/kyogre-primal:

:sm/mewtwo-mega-y:
magenta hues (Mewtwo-Mega-Y) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psystrike
- Moonblast / Earth Power
- Taunt
- Quiver Dance / Will-O-Wisp

Improofed By: Shedinja
PH MMY is both my mid-game breaker and late-game wincon. The set is mostly standard, using psystrike as its main damage dealing move, and coverage to beat either steel or dark types that may switch in on it. I prefer to use moonblast because steel types tend to be more passive and therefore are easier to take advantage of with taunt or a good switch. Taunt allows MMY to block more passive pokemon from healing and using set up control against it. QD is used to make MMY a more aggresive late-game sweeper, while Will-O-Wisp allows MMY to break more bulky pokemon it would have difficulty beating otherwise, and allows it to beat Shedinja 1v1. Don't use will-o-wisp if you want an improof. MMY is very versatile, so it's best to keep your opponent in the dark about which set you're running on this team. I like to bluff sheer force (as one of its most common improof partners is Shedinja), and then switch to MMY on a safe turn (usually slow pivoting with Shedinja).

:sm/greninja-ash:
ocean's floor (Greninja-Ash) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Close Combat
- Ice Hammer

Improofed by: Shedinja
Ash-Gren is an interesting mon. It heavily punishes ghost types, the fat dragons, and steel types while wreaking havoc on the rest of the opponent's team. It also serves as a powerful pursuit trapper. A jolly nature allows it to outspeed MMX and Gengar by 5 points, which is necessary and means we can't use an adamant nature to guarantee a OHKO on Relaxed Giratina. However, the fact that it can outspeed and trap MMX and Gengar is a huge benefit to this team, which would otherwise face much more pressure from them. Knock Off is a nice utility move and STAB, pursuit allows it to guarantee the KO on Gengar and weakened MMX or Giratina, and Close Combat / Ice Hammer serve as coverage.
252 Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Greninja-Ash Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 428-506 (84.9 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Greninja-Ash Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Giratina: 516-608 (102.3 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Greninja-Ash Ice Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde-Complete: 580-684 (91.1 - 107.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Greninja-Ash Ice Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zygarde-Complete: 636-752 (100 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:sm/shedinja:
unplayer SL42 (Shedinja) @ Protective Pads
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk
Brave Nature
- Endeavor
- Extreme Speed
- U-turn
-Stealth Rock / Pain Split / Spectral Thief

Improofed By: Itself / Primal Kyogre (if not running Pain Split)
Shedinja serves as half of the imposter proofing for this team. I know it's been talked about a lot in other RMTs with more ladder success, so I'll refrain from going into too much detail on it, but I would like to discuss the fourth moveslot. Shedinja really only needs three moves to work very well: Endeavor, priority, and pivoting. The fourth moveslot can then be optimized based on the needs of the team and preference of the player. Pain Split is my preference, as if Shedinja looses its protective pads, it is not fodder for a random rocky helmet user, and gives the player an option if Endeavor runs out of PP through poor prediction. Spectral Thief is used as a secondary check to set-up sweepers and allows Shedinja to damage imposter very quickly. Stealth Rock is useful because Shedinja forces most common bouncers to switch, forcing the opponent to chose between taking an endeavor or having stealth rock set up.

:sm/zygarde-complete:
starry spirals (Zygarde-Complete) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Thousand Waves
- Encore
- Shore Up
- Haze

Improofed By: Itself
Prankster is really good in the current meta and I enjoy using it on Zygarde. The set is self explanatory, using Haze and Encore to cripple set-up sweepers while switching in on normalize gengar to surprise mid-ladder Gengar stans. Thousand Waves also provides utility in trapping non-shed shell imposter and punishing passive steels. There isn't too much to say about this guy except be careful in using it because it tends to give up momentum against teams that have preped for it.

:sm/chansey:
divide by zero (Chansey) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Happiness: 55
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Trick
- Soft-Boiled

I'm STILL too lazy to write something decent on imposter. Here's my Highlighter c/p.​
Imposter Chansey is what defines the entire meta. The key to playing Chansey well is to use it for only 3 things: scouting, PP stalling, and forcing switches. When you scout with Chansey try to send it in safely or against an offensive mon that wouldn't do too much damage such as Mewtwo-Mega-Y. Do not blindly switch to Chansey against non-ghost type walls since they sometimes run trapping, which will end Chansey. You also don't want to use Chansey against frail mons such as Deoxys-Attack or mons that are typically improof such as Mgar. Overusage or overreliance on Chansey will only result in the premature loss of one of your best tools. Whirlwind phazes out opponents hiding behind a sub.​

:sm/kyogre-primal:
deep blue (Kyogre-Primal) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Revelation Dance
- Defog
- Soft Boiled

Improofed By: Itself
This Ogre set is wild but I made this revision pretty late tonight without too many test games so bear with me. Finding a bouncer that complemented this team was hard, but I believe that POgre is a great bouncer in this meta. Anchor Shot traps imposter and punihses Xern if it decides to switch in, revelation dance acts as yet another MGar check. Defog is for hazard removal and strength sap is a great form of recovery that punishes imposter and provides added utility. Rocky Helmet was chosen over leftovers as a situational and secondary check to Shedinja by punishing it if Greninja manages to catch it with a knock off on the switch. Overall this is a heat set and people should use it. There's a lot of possible moves that you could use on this, these are just ones that I've used in the past and have worked out for me.

Tags didn’t work but whatever
Willdbeast You're a good friend and even better person to solve crossword clues late at night with. If I continue to stick around on this site it'll probably be to do puzzles with you and our team.
Anaconja Zovrah pazza Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) Lux92 Chazm xavgb You're the reason I stuck around to the end of gen 7, I'm so proud of what you guys have created over the past few months. I haven't been around as much as I'd like to have been, but it's been amazing watching our server grow into what it is today. You're all amazing, best of luck to all of you in your future endeavors.
MAMP a loser There are others but thank you for being such positive influences on the community. You're excellent role models for new players and all around good people.
aki0s You can't just post one sample team and leave :(. I miss you, hope we can chat again some day
The BH playerbase: Most of you are nice when you aren't telling others to change their tone or responding to an OMpost, I hope we continue to grow in the future.

Anyone else I forgot: It's late for me, most people here are amazing and if I forgot to give you a shoutout I blame it on sleep deprivation. Y'all are great.
and finally, forum post commands for making me post the thread in an incomplete state. yikes.

Conclusion:
BH is wack, Gen 7 BH is wack, and Gen 8 is even more wack. However, I still love the community and hope I can continue to have some presence here. I'm still inactive and that won't change any time soon, but I can't wait to see what the future holds. If you have any questions about the team, post below or DM me and I'll answer as soon as life gives me a break.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go back to playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf on my Nintendo 3DS.

-Magi​

Last edited:
Partially so you write up something slightly better for your Imposter Chansey...

Why does it have 55 Happiness? What damage/KO thresholds does it hit with Return/Frustration with that Happiness?

^55 Happiness allows Chansey to 3HKO Kyurem-B with Frustration.

Is there a reason why MMY is Modest over Timid, seems like Mega Mewtwo X is a massive threat to this team and missing out on Gar is also annoying.
Is Strength Sap better than Recover on POgre? Non Shell Imp cannot switch in anyways and Recover gives POgre reliable recovery rather than being blocked by bouncers and low attack mons. POgre seems to be very important to your team as it is your bouncer and defogger for shed.
I also think you should have SR mandatory on Shedinja as otherwise opposing Shedinja teams are a nightmare to face.

^55 Happiness allows Chansey to 3HKO Kyurem-B with Frustration.

Is there a reason why MMY is Modest over Timid, seems like Mega Mewtwo X is a massive threat to this team and missing out on Gar is also annoying.
Is Strength Sap better than Recover on POgre? Non Shell Imp cannot switch in anyways and Recover gives POgre reliable recovery rather than being blocked by bouncers and low attack mons. POgre seems to be very important to your team as it is your bouncer and defogger for shed.
I also think you should have SR mandatory on Shedinja as otherwise opposing Shedinja teams are a nightmare to face.
Thanks for responding to the other person, I like their post and promptly forgot it. The next two changes are oversights, and I’ll implement them in the RMT after posting this. IDR Modest getting any extra KOs. Pain Shed was personal preference: I originally used SR shed but Kyogre got worn down too quickly because no reliable recovery (which is getting changed as well). Overall, these are big things I missed on the team during testing and hopefully after implementing I’ll be able to be more consistent with them. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)