Policy Review Necturna / Sketch / SV

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Hey, so Necturna currently has access to one use of sketch in a prior gen (I do not know which), which effectively gives it access to one move it cannot normally learn. I vote that we essentially pretend there was an event Necturna for every single SS and SV move moving forward (that is, in SV, not necessarily SS) in order to preserve its concept. This does raise odd flavor implications (there are 826 individual Necturna events), however doing otherwise would leave the mon sorta getting more outdated with every gen going forward that doesn't include Smeargle. Maybe this fiction isn't the correct one, however I desire a Necturna that can learn any one move.

That's all.

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
I think it's too late to implement this change in the current generation, as it would have a fair amount of competitive implications that I think would require us to revisit Necturna (The biggest one of these would be Clangerous Soul and No Retreat, but I think there a few other moves that might need to be considered as well) which in my opinion just doesn't feel worth it.

That being said, I would be fully on board with supporting this proposal for next generation though.

Last edited:

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I would assume this idea needs to be approved by the dev team before we can realistically consider it. Creating 826 unique event data entries to circumvent sketch's availability in future gens seems like an unreasonable request for us to make of them.

Edit: I guess a good question to know is how is Necturna currently implemented so that the validator recognizes sketched moves from previous gens? I also think Natdex has it so sketch is compatible with the gen 8 moves, so maybe there is something there that CAP can inherit to just approve sketch in whatever gen. Ours would have to only validate the moves available in the respective generation, but it seems like an "easier" fix than manually creating the event data for every move. There would still problems with this type of implementation also.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think this is quite a difficult or unfeasible clause to attempt to attempt to implement in the way suggested. I think it would be more successful to instead at the start of the Gen identify a series of moves from SS and SV that may be worth giving to Necturna for competitive reasons, discussing them to some degree and then introducing those individual moves as Event exclusive. This will prevent them from being run concurrently with the Gen 1-7 Sketch moves or eachother as well as allow us to selectively remove any one move if it becomes too much of a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)