Tournament NDPL III - Monotype Set/Team Dump (Usage stats coming soon)

With NDPL III wrapping up this week we wanted a place to highlight the Monotype teams used throughout the tour for the NDM community.

Rules
  • This is for teams used in, or heavily considered for use, in NDPL III ONLY.
  • A Pokepaste would be preferred in terms of formatting. Sprites would also be a helpful addition.
  • Descriptions/stories about the teams are allowed (encouraged, even) but consider using a spoiler tag if they end up being very long.
I'll be posting my teams as soon as I can write descriptions!

Tagging all the great players who got drafted!

Since no one else wants to share any teams, here are a few of mine. With NDM (National Dex Monotype - not Necrozma Dusk Mane) still an underdeveloped format, it was safe to assume that most players would just bring top tier types and try to just outplay rather than hard scouting for favorable MUs. Below are a few of the teams I built that I had the most fun with. Despite my somewhat lackluster performance in game, the teams we built and our prep was spot on the whole tour. (Click the icons for the pastes)

Week 3 vs TJ
:Aerodactyl-Mega::Dragonite::Corviknight::Thundurus-Therian::Tornadus-Therian::Gliscor:
With it still being early in the tour and not having a lot of info on TJ, we just brought a top tier type with the best MUs we could. Aerodactyl was chosen over Charizard for both Speed and sweeping potential. Dragonite is the standard Water/Electric/Fire killer set from SS Monotype and Thundurus is standard as well to assist in Water while also covering Ground and Flying. Corviknight's set is also straight forward, but what we found is that Expert Belt Greninja HP Electric only has ~6% chance to 2KO with Stealth Rocks up which makes Corvknight a key component of the team. Tornadus and Gliscor round out the balance/utility core. We were able to queue into Water and Thundurus took the win.

Week 4 vs Trichotomy - Unused
:Sableye-Mega::Mandibuzz::Hydreigon::Greninja::Muk-Alola::Zarude:
This team was built for Trichotomy in Week 4, but I unfortunately couldn't get my schedule to work. Prepping for Water, Psychic, Flying, Steel and Ground we thought that a slightly off meta type would work well here. The team is a fairly standard Balanced Dark with a few quirks. First is the lack of Tyranitar who is a wasted slot in most of the MUs we expected. This opened up a slot for more coverage while still maintaining a Balanced core. Second is Recycle Muk which despite the Pinch Berry nerf, can still function pretty well even with a max HP of 83% after set up. Z-Dig Greninja was used to break bulky Ground weak walls, most notably Toxapex.

Semifinal vs QWILY
:Keldeo::Pelipper::Greninja::Toxapex::Barraskewda::Swampert:
We stuck with prepping for top tier types since that seemed like a safe bet. Greninja helps Water, Flying, Ground, Psychic MUs, Barraskewda beats Electric, while Keldeo breaks the slower bulkier cores. To maintain momentum Toxapex has Eject Button which helps reduce 50/50s on Turn 1. This composition is a culmination of the prior two Water teams used in the tour. The team overall covers a lot of MUs and has very few strictly "bad" MUs. Unfortunately we did queue into Poison, one of the less favorable MUs, and almost pulled out the win.

Finals vs Trichotomy - Unused
:Mamoswine::Steelix-Mega::Garchomp::Excadrill::Landorus-Therian::Gastrodon:
Since I wouldn't be available to play in the Finals if we made it (which we sadly didn't and Trichotomy didn't even play this slot), we prepped teams for both Cielau and Trichotomy who were the likely opponents in the Monotype slot. This time we prepped for Flying, Poison, Electric, and Water. Ground was a slightly odd choice for this, but the Freeze-Dry Tech on Mamo was added to OHKO a max HP Pelipper. In addition, Z Garchomp after 1-2 Scale Shots can deal with most of Water as well. In order to fit these sets we opted for a Sandless variant and used Steelix-Mega to round of the defensive core with standard sets for the remaining party members.

Ryuji

LIFE'S FLASHING BEFORE YOUR EYES?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor Alumnus
So I had experience prior the tour, as I play a lot of monotype in my free time. It's not the tier i'm the most confortable w but i made 3 teams during this tour. Will only share two tho, as the last is really classic so i dont think it need to be shared. However, as style.css almost begged me to repost and this is clearly an undevelopped meta, i'll dump the final team asw, so as one that i made for a french PL, and consider using during NDPL.

Claydol psy :
:tapu-lele::alakazam-mega::claydol::jirachi::victini::slowbro:
this was made because I had a feeling abt claydol being good, having hazard control in psy is always good, although claydol is passive asf. Psy is to me the most broken type rn, letting Alakazam Mega and Tapu Lele in it really weird if you ask me, especially now that zam has access to expanding force and np. Structure is pretty simple, encore zam prevent setup and let u win the mirror against stuff like sub cm tias, jira has enough speed to outspeed gyarados and twave it, and toxic on dol helps the elec MU.
replay : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexmonotype-1692978529 cielau vs Rinda week 7

Celebi psy :
:alakazam-mega::celebi::bronzong::slowbro::tapu-lele::victini:
I highly value this team as I think it's probably the best possible psychic in the current metagame, and it's a bit sad it lost but well that's life. Celebi is a really really good mon in psychic, being able to solo handle water add an insane value to it. spread is made to outspeed offensive tran and to always OHKO defensive variant after a np, rest is in phys bulk to improve water mu. Psychic was elected instead of E-force here, mainly because it's a better option overall in this team I think.
replay : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8nationaldexmonotype-659429 devin vs tricho tiebreak semi

Sub gastro ground :
:gastrodon::hippowdon::garchomp-mega::excadrill::mamoswine::landorus:
so i made this in litteraly 10 secondes in vocal, 30 minutes before the Cielau-QWILY's game. I'm ngl sand ground is super hard to tweak, mainly because you need to keep a certain structure in line to make it viable, but i like what i did here. Lando is scarfed for better speed control, hippowdon is rindo mainly for greninja : as it will always either click gk/ice beam (you live both) you can now guarantee a free toxic on it, meaning after you can hard switch excadrill under sand and abuse chip damages/rocks to have a better time against it. Gastrodon is sub also for water MU, the idea is that toxapex litteraly cannot win against you if u use a sub set and manage to get a burn on it, as nowadays i feel like outside of poison pex doesnt use black sludge as an held item. It's a cool tech, although I don't think it's that good. We were just very paranoic abt water.
replay : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8nationaldexmonotype-661062 qwily vs cielau final

Fairy ebutton flock key :
:diancie-mega::ninetales-alola::tapu-bulu::tapu-lele::klefki::azumarill:
It's also a team I highly value, mainly because it can practically won every mu, including poison/steel that are usually super harsh for fairy. the idea is to abuse ebutton fairy lock klefki, as it's smth ppl will never expect. fairy lock is a move that trap the 2 remaining pokemon on the field on the next turn after the move is used. So here, let's assume you face water rain, the correct sequence is to lead klefki, fairy lock on whatever move it throws at you and then you trap and remove it w ninetales gg. Smth to note tho, is that this require the opponent to not know abt this strat. Fortunately, azumarill bd is such a prominent wincond that can autowin like almost anything, meaning even if the tech is known by your opponent you'll still have room to outplay and win, so as making mindgames that will nevertheless always reward you. Ninetales is scarfed mainly for peli scarf, and also because it's always usefull against drag, you don't wanna lose to a +1 dragon type.
replay : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...-1683307303-l1pjq0a5vlwuvm027egojeybe7ovbj5pw me vs dorron for the sendoff, ebutton klefki did his job although i didnt used the fairy lock tech

Attribute

HYPNOS | pulp
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Cup Winner
you know how it goes... no formatting whatsoever
https://pokepast.es/3718aa1395ba01a0 psychic
throughout the season we said fuck it use psy like 3-4 times and this was the one i liked the most. psy imo is the best type and there is very little drawback to just bringing it every week in my eyes, so it was important to try and make the best team possible with it. what's cool about this team is that it has a pretty decent shot at beating fire, which is supposed to be one of fires bad match ups. cm lati allows you to not get owned by electric (i am most definitely not allowing the use of claydol) can deal with flying, normal, and a lot more. the mew used to be foul play so its harder for drill to spin on you but hardly anyone was using steel so it became knock. scarf lati revenges scarf blace, +1 volc, and +1 zard x, all very useful things to revenge. the lele makes water easier though ghostium shadow ball > hp fire was considered due to the lack of steel. colbur bro cause ur gonna need a dark check of some sort and toxic so u don't lose to zard/cinder. also ive said this before, a steel is not needed with bro + gking and tini is just not needed in general

https://pokepast.es/def33f80cb8e7c77 flying
a lot of the current flying teams are some really boring fat stuff so i wanted to try something different and this is what i ended up with: some set up spam bulky offense. corv = hazard removal, gapdos = speed control, no hazards cause no room, then 4 mons that set up which cover most of the tier. the gyara item can prob be something different but we used muscle band so.. yea. bluffing is a pretty important thing to do w this since these sets can pretty much be all over the place so be bold. thund mainly covers flying and water, dnite is supposed to help with ele/fire/steel among other things, lando helps w flying/ele/fire and since its z stone edge it can do more than just help w these types, and gyara helps with fire/water/flying

https://pokepast.es/960ebef2b4e9f7cf poison (i think we used this at least...)
styles scout was weak as shit to poison and who df preps for poison so... we brought this. this is fairly "standard" so not much to go into. i will say tho style never using psy the entire tour kind of scared us a bit since we had no idea if he'd use gallade with a psy move on it but he used water so it worked out in the end

bonus: https://pokepast.es/758a46fac88794ba some team dump of teams i made during ndmpl that was posted in the beginning of this tour. this technically belongs more in ndmpl set dump than this thread but since im already here...

edit: if it wasn't clear i helped tinis

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)