National Dex NDOU: Shedinja Stall

This team has put in a surprising amount of work. I know that Shedinja stall has received a lot of criticism because of notable pursuit trappers such as Weavile, Tyranitar, and Scizor. For some, this is enough to invalidate it's use entirely, but I'll let you in on a secret. Not every team has those Pokemon, and they have their own share of weaknesses that can be exploited by other members of the team. I managed to reach top 10 in ladder rankings with this team and intend to climb higher. I will go over the party members, their checks, weaknesses, and include any alternative moves that can replace those listed in the sets.
1665361242884.png

Ruby (Sableye-Mega) (F) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect
A standard Sableye set. This Pokemon is your only form of hazard control for the team so it's wise to preserve this Pokemon. It acts as a blanket check for the team with it's SpDef investment and Will-O-Wisp, which can cripple physical attackers. It provides utility in Knock Off to remove troublesome items, especially HDB, so hazards can do hazard things. Protect is extremely useful for scouting Pokemon like Specs Tapu Lele, Rilla-Zone cores, etc. It can even stall out Heatran's Magma Storms with Recover + Protect. 4 Speed EVS are distributed to outspeed opposing Sableye.
Alternatives: N/A
1665361263392.png

Jubilee (Blissey) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
A standard Blissey set overall. It checks wallbreakers like Charizard-Y for the team. You may be asking "Why Fire Blast?" or "Why Blissey over Chansey?" At first, I was using Seismic Toss until Growth Venusaur came along and swept my entire team (After enough Growth boosts, Giga Drain outheals Seismic Toss damage). With the sun powering up Blissey's Fire Blast, it's capable of 2HKOing Venusaur. Chansey has a significantly lower SpA stat and cannot reach the same threshold on Venusaur. Fire Blast pairs nicely with Toxic and can punish steel switch-ins. Toxic is used to whittle down special attackers that are switched into, particularly setup sweepers, which are placed on timers. Stealth Rock makes the team less passive and forces Defog, which is easily punished by Toxic.
Alternatives: Heal Bell > Stealth Rock. Useful for curing status from the secondary effects of moves. Normal status moves are covered by Magic Bounce/Natural Cure.
Firium Z > HDB: Yes, you heard that right. What's nice about Firium Z is that it outright OHKOs Venusaur, meaning that you don't have to double in and out. With a small investment of 24 SpA EVs it's also capable of OHKOing SpDef Scizor.
1665361279304.png

Malaika (Shedinja) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Wonder Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Hex
- Toxic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
The star of the team. The biggest draw of Shedinja stall is that it walls common threats like Manaphy, Kyurem, Lopunny, Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini, and Tapu Lele with tender counterplay. It also forces switches which can become irritating for the opponent when SR/Spikes are on the field. Hex is used to bypass contact chip damage, and hurts even more with both Toxic and Will-O-Wisp. Protect is a must on every Shedinja set to scout out super-effective moves or lethal status. 0 IVs are used and the remaining 4 EVs are discarded to improve the Ditto matchup.
Alternatives: Naive > Rash Nature. The extra speed can be used to outspeed standard Mawile sets and burn it before going down to Knock Off if Skarmory has fainted.
1665361294483.png

Marshall (Quagsire) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover
A standard Quagsire set. This Pokemon has an unfair reputation for being unviable in NDOU when it's the only consistent check to Charizard-X on stall. It has outstanding synergy with Skarmory, and the two check nearly every physical attacking Pokemon in the tier. Scald is used to potentially cripple physical grass types that may switch in, such as Rillaboom or Kartana, leaving them with nasty burns. Earthquake is STAB that scales off it's higher physical attacking stat, and is useful for hitting steel types that like to switch into Toxic, much like Blissey's Fire Blast.
Alternatives: N/A
1665361308154.png

Mycelia (Amoonguss) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stomping Tantrum
- Clear Smog
The Assault Vest Amoonguss set with an intricate EV spread, made by yours truly. This Pokemon does not die. Period. If it dies, you are doing something wrong. It's outstanding mixed bulk is capable of checking Pokemon such as Clefable, Serperior, Diancie, and Specs Greninja (In tandem with Blissey). Giga Drain provides additional sustainability during combat so you aren't constantly switching. Sludge Bomb is it's strongest STAB and hits for massive damage, having a chance to poison switch-ins. Stomping Tantrum punishes unsuspecting Heatran users and puts it in range for a clean 2HKO. Clear Smog stops CM Clefable and LS Contrary Serperior from setting up. 252 HP is for the magic regenerator number. 176 Def EVs makes Diancie's Diamond Storm a 3HKO instead of a 2HKO assuming no hazards. The remaining EVs are allocated into SpDef to maximize it's walling potential.
Alternatives: HP Fire > Stomping Tantrum. Hits bulky steel types with weakness overlap for huge damage, but the Heatran matchup becomes significantly worse.
1665361329189.png

Silva (Skarmory) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 128 HP / 196 Def / 184 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Spikes
- Roost
A standard Skarmory set. Iron Defense + Body Press gives the team a more offensive presence and allows it to check the likes of Mawile. Spikes are used to hazard stack and punish switches, which it can do well because of it's great bulk, Rocky Helmet, and a defensive Steel/Flying typing. 128 HP EVs are for the magic 303 number, 196 Def EVs give +0 Body Press a heavier punch vs. Kartana, and 184 Speed EVs are distributed to outspeed Modest Magnezone + Banded Tyranitar. Unsuspecting Magnezone users will switch into Skarmory 99% of the time to trap it only to eat a +2 Body Press and keel over. It's a Pavlonian response, they can't help it.
Alternatives: Defog > Spikes. Hazard control is great for any team, but in my opinion, this team doesn't need it. Magic Bounce sends incoming hazards away, HDB is on Shedinja, Quagsire resists SR, Amoonguss absorbs Toxic Spikes, and Skarmory is immune to Spikes.
Toxic > Spikes. Your only form of hazard chip becomes Stealth Rock, but the Charizard-Y + Banded Tyranitar matchup becomes more favorable.
Threat List:
Charizard-Y + Banded Tyranitar: Dismantling this core requires carefully switching between Blissey and Skarmory in order to find an opening and Toxic Charizard-Y.
Banded Victini in Sun: GG. Forfeit.
Banded Hoopa-Unbound: Sack Sableye and Knock Off Hoopa's Choice Band. You can burn it as well.
Rillaboom + Magnezone: Scout out Rillaboom's U-Turns with Protect instead of switching directly into Skarmory. It needs to be at +2 in order to OHKO Magnezone.
Misty Terrain + Volcarona: GG. Forfeit.
Proof of Ladder Ranking (Bark4Me~).
1665790321824.png

Team Link: https://pokepast.es/18b2505a117c130a
This was my first team write-up, and my first post in general. I hope you all enjoy this team and the pretty nicknames I gave my Pokemon ♡.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)