Projects ND Other Tiers Teambuilding Competition [CYCLE 15: NDRU DIGGERSBY! Congrats to DanBear02 on winning Cycle 14!]

Runo

I get imposter syndrome from playing mons!!!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Congratz to Runo for winning Cycle 7!
clearly they were talking about Runo47145 right?

Anyways there will be some minor changes happening: NatDex Ubers is out and in it's place will be NatDex UU!

Cycle 8: NDUU Choice Band Meowscarada

Meowscarada @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Triple Axel

Following the latest DLC Meowscarada got access to a new move in Triple Axel, which has shifted its place in the tier significantly. What was once an incredibly strong breaker is now a potentially broken and borderline unwallable threat on par with the previously banned Weavile. And just like Weavile, Meowscarada is rather frail and requires some support to properly get onto the field. How will you support Meowscarada?

You have a week from now to build, have fun!​

Congratz to Runo for winning Cycle 7!
1703688279313.png

RE: The future of Surprise OM cycle

A)
There have been some concerns regarding the 'Surprise OM'. So, there are 2 options:
1. Keep Suprise OM
2. Replace surprise OMs with popular NDOM(s).

B)
If you choose option A2, what OMs do you think should be featured? Here are some options:
1. Replace Suprise OM with ND AAA
2. Replace Suprise OM with ND GG
3. Replace Suprise OM with ND STAB
4. Replace Suprise OM with ND AAA, ND GG, ND STAB (each getting a cycle)
5. Other. It could include replacing Surprise OM with metagames like ND Convergence / ND MnM / ND Camo, or anything else you have in mind! It could also include replacing an existing metagame. POST IN THE THREAD!

Problem with option B4 is that it causes the project to have a total of 8 cycles, which is quite simply, too much? Not to mention not all "main" NDOMs get the chance to be featured (Conv/MnM/Camo). Problem with single meta (as in options B1, B2, B3) representation is the same, though it's more severe, I suppose, not all metagames get a chance. Surprise OM does not have that problem, but it's full of uncertainties and a metagame not already having a cycle has to wait for A LONG time before having a chance to be in.

So, what do you think? Feel free to use this thread to post your opinions (and it is mandatory to do it if you vote 'other') and cast you valuable vote in the thread poll!

NOTE: This does NOT affect the ongoing NDUU Cycle. Feel free to post submissions!

Last edited:
I'm in favor of keeping suprise OM mainly because of the flexibility of having no rotation set in stone. While I do believe giving priority to more active OMs is the right way to go, keeping it as a surprise OM can offer the organizers more leeway to respond to changes in activity in the playerbase. An OM getting a surprise uptick in activity like we recently saw with Camomons can be adjusted for with a surprise OM, not with a set rotation.

wow I love cb meowscarada it is so balanced

:Meowscarada::Latios-Mega::Clefable::Gastrodon::Zapdos-Galar::Celesteela:

I wanted to build with Mega Latios because Luster Purge is a significant recent buff making it a significantly better mon imo. It pairs well with Meow bc they're both "checked" by steels, but isn't a Steel-type that beats both. They're also both great at overwhelming Fairy-types, with Knock/Axel/Luster Purge. I'm not sure if there is a standard set for Latios atm but I think Luster Purge and Aura Sphere are basically mandatory, and Thunderbolt was a nice way to hit Celesteela, Tapu Fini, Enamorus, Skarmory, and Slowbro in 1 slot. EVs let you take 2 sludge waves from speed boosting moth without rocks, not the biggest deal but it's only 24 EVs so worth imo.

Clef + Gastro + Steela is a pretty basic hstack core, Clef is Thunder Wave bc of unsavoury matchups into mons like Iron Moth. I made Gastro Sticky Hold bc there's no hazard removal so losing boots sucks, and there is 0 reason for Rotom to ever click Hydro vs this team. Other more niche Water-types might be threatening but through a combination of Latios and bluffing they're hopefully manageable.

Scarf Gapdos bc idk how tf else to beat DD MTar.

Team struggles with Fini, MAero, and Iron Moth. The solution is to outplay. There are scary mons on this team simply win before they do.

Last edited:
:sv/meowscarada::sv/iron hands::sv/iron moth::sv/slowbro::sv/salamence::sv/excadrill:

Took the initiative to throw some Hands with Bands during an experimentation route with the former, hence the build here. SD Iron Hands with Lefties is a trade machine that can struggle to get around bulkier cores, particularly those built around common Regenerator and/or HStack + Fairy teams, which made Meow's proficiency as a lure teammate appealing. Iron Moth is running a stallbreaker variant that takes advantage of Meow's checks, using said opportunity to become a devastating option against stall teams lacking Hoodra. Slowbro + Salamence is a bulky offense core which saw a bit of experimentation in NDPL, being good into most physical threats and Sand Rush Excadrill. The former also runs Draco Meteor in conjunction with the Scarf Excadrill pairing to overwhelm Rotom-W, the latter which while niche, helps compress moveslots significantly by being hazard removal into bulkier teams + speed control. Team lacks hazards but the omnipresence of Court Change Ace in conjunction with the immediate pressure exerted by the offensive core more than comfortably makes up for it here.

Threatlist also extends to sweepers such as G-Moltres and Moth, although limiting setup and forcing trades for a kill is easily accessible and ideal versus most HO anyhow. Bit more than the simple 'just outplay argument' but can be done around the specific interactions.

Runo

This totally slipped my mind sorry, but congratz to 3MoreMinutes for winning Cycle 8!

Cycle 9: NDRU Nasty Plot Hydreigon
:sv/Hydreigon:
Hydreigon @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Darkium Z / Dragonium Z / Firium Z / Steelium Z
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor / Fire Blast / Earth Power / Flash Cannon
- Roost / Fire Blast / Earth Power / Flash Cannon

Sporting an exceptional movepool and an incredibly deadly dual Dark/Dragon stab, Nasty Plot Hydreigon can become a terror against slower paced teams. Although this versatility means that it can tend to have some tricky matchups depending on what moves you pick (dropping Draco Meteor makes it harder to pressure Fighting- and opposing Dark-types, dropping Fire Blast or Earth Power makes it tough to break Steel-types, dropping roost makes it hard to setup again, and dropping Flash Cannon means that you might struggle against bulky Fairy-types). It's less than great speed tier also renders it susceptible to common revenge killers. How will you support Nasty Plot Hydreigon?

You have a week from now to build, have fun!​

:sv/okidogi: :sv/hydreigon: :sv/scream tail: :sv/empoleon: :sv/ogerpon: :sv/hippowdon:
Really straight forward build in here so i'll kind of wrap this up quickly instead. As someone who liked BU Dogi since it first dropped to UU during Kart days, i decided to replicate this on ND RU which had some nice results that i can actually share (despite the quick changes i have made to the team since the original version) and also because this place is empty.
also my excuse for this post being lazy is me being awake since 1 am and it's now 10 am

:okidogi: The star of the team with the usual set, using the fantastic bulk and typing to setup in most of the passive walls like Empoleon, Slowking or Mandibuzz but also other threats in which it greatly takes advantage of such as Mienshao, non-zen Tapu Bulu and more. The speed allows it to outrun Max Spe Scizor while the 12+ Atk EVs are simply attack point, the rest is in bulk.

:hydreigon: Originally had Iron Jugulis here since i wanted something speedy that threatens ghost while being a Ground immunity but this alongside Ogerpon and Hippowdon also makes the matchup agaisn't Sandy Shocks and Rotom-Heat more bearable. Good breaker that, despite lacking in speed, has good longevity and power that can get a good amount of opportunities to setup and dish out excellent damage.

:scream tail: As the bulky Fairy, it not only brings extra longevity to the team (mainly for Okidogi) but it also acts as a decent check to Latias in here which is important. Could potentially go for Play Rough so that CM sets don't just setup on it and have better damage on other Hydreigons now that Buzzwole is gone.

:empoleon: Fake Water? Sure but it's finally worth using compared to last gen given the amount of good trades it has (It's still a Water, it's a Steel, brings momentum and generally being a good special wall) alongside being a good partner to Hippowdon and Scream Tail.

:ogerpon: So i had Rotom-Mow here to stop using Scarf Ogerpon on almost every team but i decided to go back to it since the set is really good to anti-lead Mienshao and Sandy Shocks while also giving me Spikes whenever it's gonna be walled (Altho i can also just pivot out or click Knock Off).

:hippowdon: This one i don't remember what it was before but it's just a better Ground in general anyway, it's a good rocker that racks up chip decently quick like it always does.

Here's a few replays, the team's been really fun altho i think i can probably do something better than this given that the team is old.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldexru-2028945056-zuwdvp04gwjt1cvf9dth9iq537c3055pw (this one was with
:rotom-mow:
)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldexru-2030891596
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldexru-2030133615
:Quaquaval: SD Variants are probably the most dangerous ones here since having Ogerpon alive is gonna be really important while also not letting it setup on Hydreigon (maybe considering changing the set to Groundium Z Earth Power).

:slither wing: The dog is one Earthquake away from this to freely spam First Impression (ban this but not before quaval).

:zeraora: Because Hippowdon is purely physdef, Grass Knot is gonna hurt a lot so it's best to not let Hydreigon to be chipped too much.

:ninetales-alola: :arctozolt: This can go either really good or really bad so just be careful with how you manage the weather war.

Kinzo

formerly Kinzo Ketchum
https://pokepast.es/d335e813d81a4e48
:hydreigon: :tapu bulu: :gligar: :empoleon: :zarude: :rotom-heat:

I decided to go with firium z with this one. I immediately realized i could slot in a mon that benefitted from the removal of steel types like tinkaton through hydreigon and zarude felt really fitting as it additionally helped hydreigon to beat water types such as seismitoad and specially defensive pokemons in general. Tapu bulu also felt good here as it helped boosting zarudes power whip to insane levels while also being a decent bulky wincon. Gligar, empoleon and rotom-heat form a strong defensive backbone for the team and prevent revenge killing of the offensive pokemons. Empoleon provides hazards while gligar provides hazard control.

NOTE:- THIS TEAM COVERS ALL LATIAS SETS :pika:

Gangsta Spongebob

"Mama I'm a Criminal" - Badass Smoking Caterpillar
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
:hydreigon: :diggersby: :mienshao: :tinkaton: :slowking: :rotom-heat:

Firium-Z is probably the best Z Crystal you can have on NP Hydreigon, as the instant ability to beat Steels is unmatched. Pivot spam is to help Hydreigon find setup opportunities and get my physical attackers in safely to wallbreak. Diggersby is notable for its ability to block Volt Switch so its users can't just pivot constantly. Thunder Wave spam is to shore up Hydreigon and Diggersby's mediocre Speeds, notably punishing Latias. The main threats to this team are Quaquaval, which can get out of control very quickly if it gets to +2 Speed, and Slither Wing, which basically gets a 50/50 to KO something every time it switches in. Aerial Ace on Mienshao is solely used to hit it.

Runo

:sv/hydreigon::sv/togekiss::sv/swampert::sv/cobalion::sv/beedrill-mega::sv/zeraora:

So I decided to build a fairly simple volt-turn with Darkium Z Hydreigon instead of Firium Z. I chose that variant since it allows Hydreigon to break specially defensive Hippowdon, which sits on this team otherwise. Togekiss in conjunction with Swampert is good to handle Latias and opposing Hydreigon for this team. Cobalion is helpful at soft checking Scizor and acts as a lure (with Chople Berry) for offensive Close Combat variants while also luring Cobalion and Mienshao for the team. Mega Beedrill is helpful to deal with Slowking and Calm Mind Reuniclus and serves as a backup plan to beat Latias with Pursuit. Zeraora is an additional soft check for Scizor and packs Toxic to annoy Hippowdon and opposing Swampert for the team.

Seismitoad > Swampert is an option if you think you stuggle with Quaquaval too much.

:sv/hydreigon: :sv/golurk: :sv/crobat: :sv/ogerpon: :sv/volcanion: :sv/tinkaton:

Rest in peace, :Metagross:. You were a real one, but you couldn't cut it.

I initially went with Groundium-Z, but Firium-z offers a nice mid-ground between hitting Bulu and Tinkaton. Golurk is here because it smashes every Hydreigon check, and the two form a nasty 1-2 combo. Crobat was the next member because it helped shore up the Fairy/Fighting weaknesses and provided a nice combo of both hazard and speed control. Crobat also makes the match-up into Mega Beedril more bearable. Scarf Ogerpon is another fast Pivot and speed control. I like it because it outspeeds most other scarfers and helps deal with Calm Minding Lati, which can be difficult for the other members to handle. Volcanion is a soft check to Quaquaval alongside Ogerpon and Crobat, and offensive Sub Toxic helps against Slowking Balances and snipes Dragons getting complacent. Tinkaton replaces Metagross as the rocker because it provides a much sturdier match-up into Hydreigon and Latias and supports Golurk with paralysis support. Occa berry for opposing Drei.

Velcroc wins BY A LANDSLIDE. Congratulations!

Cycle 10: NDBH Mega Mewtwo X
:sv/mewtwo-mega-x:

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Triple Axel
- Electro Drift
- U-turn / Strength Sap

punch punch skate skate drift drift turn turn sap sap

You have a week's time to build!

Clas

my main tier is yes
is a Tiering Contributor
:mewtwo-mega-x::xerneas::slowbro-mega::terapagos-stellar::zacian-crowned::zygarde-complete:

Team is built around Magic Bounce Xerneas and the breaking core of LOTC MMX and CBOP Zacian with a strong, pivot-heavy defensive core. Mega Slowbro is generally just a good supporting wall for Xerneas and handles stuff like Zacian and PGeyser MMX, while Terapagos fixes the Mega Gengar matchup while having Tospy-Turvy to punish any setup on it. Zacian supports MMX and both of them help clear for each other, especially with hazard support. Zygarde-C just rounds out the team by beating most setup Pokemon alone and is probably the best Pokemon in the tier right now for very good reason, potentially only behind Zacian. Xerneas improofs MMX, Slowbro, Terapagos, and Zygarde, Slowbro improofs Zacian, Zacian improofs Xerneas.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)