Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Trick
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Volt Switch

The combo of trick + Toxic should should prevent Suicune from being a pain. After Tricking Suicune (who's already threated by regular Wash imo), it's practically useless if it hasn't picked up at least 2 boosts. Even worse if it's locked into Rest or CM, Suicune is near ruined. TBolt or Thunder helps it die faster without having to switch out, While having Volt-Switch allows for pivoting incase Suicune switches out (doubtful since it's worthless after choice lock).

Offensively, the calcs don't really matter since Toxic is the main way of eliminating Suicune. The Defensive calcs are what's important.

While Rotom-Wash isn't the Bulkiest option when dealing with Suicune, I consider it to be the safest. Defensively, Rotom is guaranteed to survive at least a hit (barring a +6 Crit from Scald). This allows you the opportunity to permanently ruin Suicune with Trick as well as getting the option to Toxic it. This set also isn't specific to just Suicune: Mons like Hippowdon, Tangrowth and Deo-D can all have their sets irrecoverably damaged from just Trick alone. Adding Toxic into the mix, seals their fate. It's a counter to Suicune Stall

0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Wash: 37-44 (15.3 - 18.2%) -- possible 6HKO
+1 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Wash: 55-66 (22.8 - 27.3%) -- 55.8% chance to 4HKO
+2 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Wash: 74-87 (30.7 - 36%) -- 53% chance to 3HKO
+3 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Wash: 93-109 (38.5 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+4 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Wash: 111-131 (46 - 54.3%) -- 53.9% chance to 2HKO
+5 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Wash: 129-153 (53.5 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Wash: 148-174 (61.4 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Wash on a critical hit: 222-261 (92.1 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
*edit: grammar and animated pic added.

Last edited:

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
:ss/manectric-mega:
Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat / Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Grass]

switch in on a calm mind
thunderbolt spam
kill the cat/dog thingy
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 180-212 (44.5 - 52.4%)

Check because it can't switch in on scald very well if at all. You do outspeed so you can kill before it has a chance to kill you
0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manectric-Mega: 96-114 (34.1 - 40.5%)
+1 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manectric-Mega: 144-169 (51.2 - 60.1%)

it cant pressure stall you because you can attack it 12 times which is way more than enough

Last edited:
:ss/jellicent:
Jalopy (Jellicent) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 172 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Scald
- Recover

I would like to submit this Jalopy as a check. :blobthumbsup:
The reasons are fairly simple:
  • Taunt allows Jalopy to deny Suicune, and those like it, the opportunity to set up and Rest away any damage taken.
  • Toxic grants you a constant and reliable source of damage on any Pokémon afflicted with it; coupled with Taunt, this allows Jalopy to simultaneously chip away at both HP and PP.
  • Scald does damge. It also thaws you out, should you happen to get frozen.
  • Recover allows you to heal off any damage taken, just as Rest, but with the advantage of keeping you awake to keep on keeping on!
  • Its ability Water Absorb makes sure it stays cool and hydrated in the heat of summer; it also helps against the Urshi-flu.
Being a Jalopy, it obviously doesn't hold much in power, but is quite durable and hazardous in its ability to spread both BRN and PSN. :blobstop:

Last edited:

Runo

How it feels to procrastinate on everything
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Am I allowed to critique submissions? Whatever I'm doing it and encourage you to critique mine as well.
:ss/jellicent:
Jalopy (Jellicent) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 172 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Scald
- Recover

I would like to submit this Jalopy as a counter. :blobthumbsup:
The reasons are fairly simple:
  • Taunt allows Jalopy to deny Suicune, and those like it, the opportunity to set up and Rest away any damage taken.
  • Toxic grants you a constant and reliable source of damage on any Pokémon afflicted with it; coupled with Taunt, this allows Jalopy to simultaneously chip away at both HP and PP.
  • Scald does damge. It also thaws you out, should you happen to get frozen.
  • Recover allows you to heal off any damage taken, just as Rest, but with the advantage of keeping you awake to keep on keeping on!
  • Its ability Water Absorb makes sure it stays cool and hydrated in the heat of summer; it also helps against the Urshi-flu.
Being a Jalopy, it obviously doesn't hold much in power, but is quite durable and hazardous in its ability to spread both BRN and PSN. :blobstop:
Wait, you don't outspeed Suicune, so how would you prevent Rest recovery if it's faster? There's no way you don't get into a stall war with Suicune, unless Tox and Scald somehow kills it before taunt runs out (a near impossible feat).
0 SpA Jellicent Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 33-40 (8.1 - 9.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Since three turns of Toxic only does 152 damage (rounding up), and your Scalds do at most 120 damage after three turns, the total damage output before taunt runs out is 272 damage. This means that by the time Suicune is able to shake off the taunt and Rest, it would be left with 132 HP before rocks and 107 HP after rocks.
And that's if it decides not to immediately Calm Mind first turn.

Last edited:

Giyu

Love is the most twisted curse of them all
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
:bw/Azumarill:
Azumarill @ Leftovers :Leftovers:
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Refresh / Toxic / Rest

Azumaril simply traps Suicune with Whirpool and switches out on the turn Perish Song hits, RIP Suicune.

Wait, you don't outspeed Suicune, so how would you prevent Rest recovery if it's faster? There's no way you don't get into a stall war with Suicune, unless Tox and Scald somehow kills it before taunt runs out (a near impossible feat).
0 SpA Jellicent Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 33-40 (8.1 - 9.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Since three turns of Toxic only does 152 damage (rounding up), and your Scalds do at most 120 damage after three turns, the total damage output before taunt runs out is 272 damage. This means that by the time Suicune is able to shake off the taunt and Rest, it would be left with 132 HP before rocks and 107 HP after rocks.
And that's if it decides not to immediately Calm Mind first turn.
Toxic and Scald do in fact kill it before it can use Rest.
The issue here is that while me and you are aware of Taunt, the player using Suicune is almost assuredly not and you can therefore prey upon the common sense of using Rest later rather than earlier. The rotation would start with Toxic, follow up with Scald and apply Taunt after two ticks of PSN which ensures that Suicune faints in a 1v1 scenario.
A demonstration: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexuu-1600886734

Granted, if Suicune does preemptively try to stall you out with Rest, you can only stall out the PP of one of its moves on your end.
My intention however, given that this is not a 1v1 match, is not to PP stall Suicune and if that was my intention I would do so by substituting Spite for Taunt.
In that sense, I chose Taunt over Spite as I felt it provides larger team-wide benefits.

If you think Jalopy does not hold up to par for a counter, I'm willing to write it down as a check instead. :blobthumbsup:

Am I allowed to critique submissions? Whatever I'm doing it and encourage you to critique mine as well.
If I am to critique your submission, I would at most say it is very easy to counteract if Trick misses its intended target; and that it might get frozen.

Runo

Yeah it seems too inconsistent to be counter material but Jalopy does have some good qualities to deal with Suicune. Another issue that I'm potentially seeing is that based on your own replay, scald + toxic only gets it to around 70% HP by the time taunt is revealed. So Suicune could just switch out, have someone eliminate Jalopy, then continue their shenanigans.

Also good point about Trick Rotom missing Suicune. However, I feel that it's a more permanent solution to stop Suicune Stall, and if not Suicune then it'll more or less disable another threat. I'd still call it a counter.
Also freeze is hax and doesn't exist.

With a majority on Azumarill, congrats to GiyuForPresident for winning this week's round! Your Submission will be added to the Hall of Fame shortly.

Let's move onto the next one, this week's Victim will be none other than Azelf!

Azelf @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

With no Alakazam to outclass it in every way outside of Fire-type coverage, Azelf returns once more to make its mark as a respectable Speed Control option and potent offensive threat in the current metagame. Between its well-rounded offensive stats, speed and coverage, how will you defeat out latest Victim?

Deadline for submissions will be on the 1st of July. Good luck.​

Giyu

Love is the most twisted curse of them all
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Keem

formerly Nezloe
:bw/Reuniclus:
Reuniclus @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

This Set Is basically beating azelf in a 1v1 once it starts Calm Minding since azelf here isn't running taunt.

+2 0 SpA Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azelf: 140-165 (48.1 - 56.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Runo

Reserving [Mega] Sharpedo

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Liquidation
- Protect

One Protect outspeeds Azelf, you can then kill it with Crunch without even having to Mega Evolve. This allows you to become even more threatening since you're faster than virtually every Scarf user and you'll hit things like a truck when you finally Mega Evolve.

252 Atk Sharpedo Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azelf: 332-392 (114 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azelf: 558-656 (191.7 - 225.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
:hippowdon: :leftovers:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Hard walls easily, passive damage catches up and only thing the lake guardian can do is fish for psychic sp.def drops

252 SpA Azelf Psychic vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Hippowdon: 127-151 (30.2 - 35.9%) -- 37.7% chance to 3HKO

With a majority on Hippowdon, congrats to WM2N for winning this week's round! Your Submission will be added to the Hall of Fame shortly.

Let's move onto the next one, this week's Victim will be none other than Tentacruel!

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Tentacruel's varied support movepool and unique role compression give it a notable niche on certain bulkier teams in today's metagame. Possessing an unusually high Speed tier that's complemented quite handily by its naturally high SpD and crucial resistances. How will you defeat our latest Victim?

Deadline for Submissions will be on the 7th of July. Good luck!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)