Announcement National Dex UU Community Surveys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Once upon a time, literally every single tier in existence created a community survey. National Dex UU has decided to do one as well!

Here is the link to the first survey.

The deadline for this survey is March 8th at 11:59pm GMT-5. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or VM.

Have a great day everyone!

Survey results!

1615843820892.png

1615843831013.png

1615843841369.png

1615843850279.png

1615843861129.png

Beyond these 3 questions, we also asked if people had any other comments about the metagame. A few things were brought up:
  • Hoopa-Unbound was brought up as an issue by 2 different people;
  • Hydreigon was brought up for a retest by 2 different people.

Here are some notable statistics:
  • 28,6% of people think action should be taken on Weavile right now, via either suspect or quickban.
  • 28,6% of people think action should be taken on Slowking right now, via either suspect or quickban.
  • 34,4% of people think action should be taken on Zapdos-Galar right now, via either suspect or quickban.
  • 40% of people think action should be taken on Aegislash right now, via either suspect or quickban.
  • 45,7% of people think action should be taken on Melmetal right now, via either suspect or quickban.
  • 31,4% of people think Azumarill should be retested.
  • 44,9% of people think Drought should be retested.
---

And that's about it! I want to make it clear that we will not blindly following this survey. However, we will be using it as a lead for our future actions. Expect to see more things related to this from us soon!

Alright, we have decided to do another survey, as there a number of controversial Pokemon in the tier right now and the council wants to get a more informed opinion on these Pokemon from the community, as well as gauge general perceptions of meta health and opinion.

The survey can be found here.

The deadline to complete it is Monday the 7th June at 11:59pm GMT+1. PM/VM/etc. me any questions you have either here or on Discord (you can find me in the NatDex discord).

Survey results!

We also asked if there were other Pokemon that people wanted to see action taken on. While it was intended that this was for other Pokemon people thought were banworthy, a decent majority of the responses (aside from 'No' or other non Pokemon answers) were suggestions for Pokemon to be retested, which is of course perfectly fine, and if anything is a good indicator that not much other than the 5 Pokemon in the survey is currently deemed problematic.

The most common suggestion for a retest was Mega Venusaur with 4 separate suggestions, but Latias, Mega Aerodactyl, and Azumarill all were present. Of the currently legal Pokemon brought up, Slowking (presumably Kantonian), Mew, Staraptor, Infernape and of all things Grookey were brought up, though it's probably safe to assume Grookey was a joke response. Nothing other than Mega Venusaur received more than one response, although Staraptor had a separate response asking to not ban it.

Generally, it seems a majority of players rate the meta fairly high, being between 7-8 overall. However, this was more spread out than in the previous survey, as there were submissions as low as 1 and 3. There were only 3 of these, however. Player enjoyment was similarly spread out but was concentrated towards the higher end of the chart, 7 having a pretty significant majority. Similarly to the overall meta quality submissions, there were also a few votes in the 1-3 area, unlike in the previous survey.

Of the Pokemon in the other responses, here are the notable statistics:
  • The responses for Mega Sableye were overwhelmingly in favour of taking some sort of action at 84.2%, with a whopping 39.5%being in favour of a quickban, taking the largest slice of the pie chart.
    • This was followed by immediate suspect at 26.3% and later date suspect at 18.4%. No action for now received only 15.8%. Only 3 of the 38 responses put less than 3 for how they perceive it in the current metagame, with the majority being between 5 and 4, 5 having the most responses.
  • Weavile was also overwhelmingly in favour of some sort of action being taken on it, with the exact same percentage as Mega Sableye (84.2%). However, only 7.9%were in favour of a quickban.
    • The split between immediate suspect and later date suspect was fairly even, at 42.1% and 34.2%. This puts immediate suspect with a larger majority. Weavile's position in the metagame had a majority of responses around the 3-4 mark, 4 having the most responses. only 10 people voted for others besides 3 and 4.
  • The remaining 3 mons had over 50% of "no action should be taken for now". Of the three, Aegislash had the most support for some action to be taken on it (44.7%), while Slowking-Galar had the least (26.3%).
    • Melmetal was not far behind Aegislash, however, with 42.1% in favour of some sort of action being taken on it.
    • All three had a majority of responses for "suspect at a later date" of those who supported some sort of action to be taken. The other two options combined were less than half of those who wanted to see some sort of action taken for all 3 mons.
  • Melmetal had a majority of 2 for its position in the metagame, with responses being concentrated around 2-3.
  • Aegislashwas centred around 3 for its position in the metagame.
    • It was arguably the one with the most divided opinion in the "position in the metagame" questions.
  • Slowking-Galar was centred around 1-2 in "position in the metagame", with a majority for 2. Only 14 voted otherwise.
    • It was somewhat divided but as it skewed more towards 1-2, not as divided as opinion on Aegislash.

The rundown for those in favour of action (quickban, immediates suspect or suspect at later date) are as follows for easier reading:
  1. Mega Sableye (84.2%)
  2. Weavile (also 84.2%, much less in favour of quickban however)
  3. Aegislash (44.7%)
  4. Melmetal (42.1%)
  5. Slowking-Galar (26.3%)
The rundown for those in favour of immediate (quickban or immediate suspect) action are as follows:
  1. Mega Sableye (65.8%)
  2. Weavile (50%)
  3. Melmetal (13.2%)
  4. Aegislash (13.1%)
  5. Slowking-Galar (10.6%)
That is all for this survey. As with the survey before, we won't be treating it like a guide or anything - it's more to inform us of the general opinion of the meta's playerbase. That isn't to say we didn't share a similar opinion beforehand, however.

Last edited:
We have decided to do another survey following the Blaziken quickban as the meta has mostly calmed down now Alakazam and Blaziken are gone, and it has been a really long time since we've done one (9 months!). We'll aim to be a bit more frequent with these in the future.

The survey can be found here.

The survey will be closed on the 25th March 2022 at 11:59pm GMT+1. If you have any questions, PM/DM/VM/etc. me either here or Discord, specifically the NatDex Discord.

Survey results are in! We had almost double the responses compared to the last survey, partly thanks to my weird decision to make it a week long deadline. I'm not sure why I did it this way, but a significant surge of responses came in on the 23rd, the day after the deadline I thought I'd put, so I guess past me had a vision of the future I completely forgot about between me writing the deadline and hitting send, so ultimately it was for the best. That being said, I don't think I'll be doing that again, and next time's deadline should more be in line with the 4-5 days of previous surveys.

Notable statistics:
  • Metagame quality's most common response was 7 (29 responses), though overall more responses put it in the 8-10 range (40 responses). The overall average was 7.77 with standard deviation of ~1.19. This seems to imply overall the meta quality is in the 7 and 10 range, which is good news.
  • Meta enjoyment overall was slightly higher, with an overall average of 7.86 and a standard deviation of ~1.36 (implying responses were more mixed), though it seems responses were overall slightly more split between 7 and 9 rather than 7 having the majority and 8 trailing a bit behind. 7 was, once again, the most common response. Once again it was generally in the 7 and 10 range, also good news.
  • Neither metagame quality or enjoyment received a response lower than 4, compared to the previous survey where there were a few 1s and 3s. This is somewhat notable given we had almost twice the responses.
  • Melmetal was overwhelmingly in favour of some form of action being taken on it (85.1% of respondents), with immediate action (immediate suspect/quickban) taking the majority. Thoughts on it in the meta had the highest average at 3.45, with a standard deviation of ~1.11, the lowest deviation and thus the least division among all the responses. This is supported by looking at the bar chart, where there's a veritable chunk border between 1-2 and 3-5.
    • This is significantly more support than the last survey was a mere 42.1%, meaning support for some action has almost doubled, which is fair given it has been 9 months.
  • Urshifu-RS was also overall in favour of some sort of action being taken on it, but a third of participants stated they believe it is fine. Thoughts on the meta had an average of 3.37 and a standard deviation of ~1.19, so a bit more divisive and a bit less support overall.
  • Deoxys-Defense turned out to be surprisingly divisive. While it had the highest percentage of people who saw it as fine (58.7%), the number in favour of immediate action was much higher than Aegislash, though it was overall much less support for immediate action than either Melmetal or Urshifu-RS. In terms of presence in meta, it had an average of 2.72 (the second lowest, only above Aegislash) with the highest standard deviation of all at ~1.34.
    • Curiously, it had the highest percentage in favour of a quickban (9.3%). Given Deoxys-Defense is something of a cheese mon with the Demon Deo-D set, this becomes slightly less surprising.
  • Aegislash overall appears to be the mon the general community perceives to be the least needing of immediate action, with the pie chart slices in favour of immediate suspect and quickban being so small I had to hover over it to get the percentages (2.7% for quickban and 6.7% for immediate suspect). Its overall average for meta presence was 2.52, the lowest of all four, with the second highest standard deviation of ~1.2. It had the second highest number of people in favour of no action, at 56%.
    • Though, given it has the second highest percentage of those in favour of a suspect at later date (34.7%), there is at least some sentiment that it is a little problematic.
    • 44% were in favour of some action overall, down .7% from last survey.

Here is the compiled list of all the suggestions of the ones that weren't already in prior questions (sorry one person who put Melmetal in this section).

[Pokemon] [Number of times it was suggested]

Mega Venusaur pretty clearly took the lead, followed by Thundurus-Therian, Drought, Latias and Hydreigon. Mega Altaria and Azumarill were mentioned for a suspect, as were Zarude and Alomolomola.

"the cute pink blob" was mentioned but I'm not sure which cute pink blob was being referred to. If they were referring to Blissey or Chansey (UPDATE: it was chansey), trust me, we'd love to have one of them back, but sadly NatDex ladder is stingy with their pink blobs. I don't think anyone in their right minds would call Slowking or Alomomola cute and the odds of Clefable dropping this gen are somewhere between almost nonexistent and nonexistent. Its cuteness is also somewhat debatable.

I too agree that Mega Rayquaza would be fine here. It's just Salamence without the Moxie, after all. Sadly, it doesn't get Roost, so I don't think it's competing with Salamence as a Defogger, unfortunately, and there's also the small matter of it being AG. The same more or less goes for Giratina, but it doesn't have Dragon Dance. [/joke]

The rundown of those in favour of action (quickban, immediate suspect and later date suspect) are as follows:
  1. Melmetal (85.1%)
  2. Urshifu-Rapid-Strike (66.7%)
  3. Aegislash (44%)
  4. Deoxys-Defense (41%)

The rundown of those in favour of immediate action (quickban and immediate suspect) are as follows:
  1. Melmetal (44.6%)
  2. Urshifu-Rapid-Strike (37.3%)
  3. Deoxys-Defense (21.3%)
  4. Aegislash (9.4%)

No Pokemon received 9.3% in favour of quickban (Deoxys-Defense) which we take as a good sign.

That's about all for this survey. Once again, this survey is not a guide for us, it's just informing us of the general playerbase opinion. See you all again in another 9 months time (or gen 9, whichever comes first). That's a joke, we'll aim to do this a bit more frequently than that. We hope.

Last edited:
Now that things are wrapping up with NDPL on the way and the next generation, we thought it would be a fine opportunity to survey to see how we did this generation and anything that might need to be touched upon before it's over.

Survey can be found HERE

Survey results close at September 18th, Sunday at 11:59 PM EST.

Survey results! Apologies for the significant delay in the survey results, many of us have been busy IRL or ill. As those who answered noticed, this time we required you to add your Smogon name to the survey, due to some noted concerns of multiple responses from presumably the same person from the previous survey. This time we asked voters to state if they made it to Round 4 or beyond of the National Dex UU Summer Seasonal played/will play at least 1 NDUU game in NDPL/ NDWC to see the difference in opinion between those who qualified and those who did not (this did not affect whether or not they got to participate in the survey, just for data analysis’ sake). Thus, this will be split into two sections of both the overall and separation between those who qualified and those who did not.

Overall:

• The meta appears to be well regarded by responders, with both having peaks at 8 and an average in that general ballpark.
  • Scizor is very clearly not a Pokemon the playerbase are interested in taking action on, with an overwhelming majority of people not supporting any action. Its bar chart has a slight raise at the 3 mark, but otherwise strongly gravitates towards the low end.
  • The other Pokemon already in the tier had similar levels of support for tiering action to each other, all having 40-50% not in favour of tiering action. There was some notable variation in the exact type of tiering action, however. All but one had a slight majority in favour of some tiering action.
  • Urshifu-Rapid-Strike interestingly had the most support for a quickban, notably, being the only one where the quickban percentage wasn't the smallest slice of the pie chart. It also had the most people saying they support a suspect and would vote ban. It's also clearly the one that people want suspect tested first. Its bar chart seemed the least concentrated of the three, but generally leaned towards the lower end.
  • Aegislash had the second highest amount of support, tied with Celesteela. Of the two, Aegislash had more people saying they would vote ban.
  • Hydreigon has a pretty clear majority in favour of a retest or an unban, with over 2/3 wanting it at least retested.
  • Mega Aerodactyl has a narrow majority in favour of a retest or action but also the largest slice of the pie of indifferent people.
  • Mega Venusaur was extremely divisive - It had the most support for an immediate unban and in total the second highest amount of support for action in general, but it also had by far the most votes against it having action taken on. Of the three, it had the least indifferents of all, implying most people have made their minds up on it.

A Thundurus-Therian retest was easily the most common answer, followed by Latias, with one mention given to Mega Pinsir, Galarian Zapdos and Drought. I want to mention ahead of time that the council have absolutely no plans to retest either Mega Pinsir or Galarian Zapdos - both have little to no defensive counterplay in the current meta and the former is obscenely powerful and has extremely limited offensive counterplay to boot, being limited to the electrics, Stone Edge Cobalion and a healthy Terrakion, as well as one of the most insanely powerful attacks this meta has ever seen in the form of +2 Return. I included the obvious joke suggestions to be objective (4 of 5 of them are from one person wanting to fix the NDUU ladder), but marked them as such for convenience.

Here are the results split between for comparison:

Clearly, tour players have more comedy.

Tour Qualifiers Only:

Ignore the "Count of <question>" bit, that's just added in by google sheets and I forgot to change it.

• By sheer coincidence, the enjoyment and competitiveness of the meta rating charts look the exact same. However, only 6 people answered the exact same for both questions. Other than that it's not that different to the overall view of the meta.
  • The vast majority of tour players are not in favour of any action being taken on Scizor.
  • Tour players are in favour of some sort of action being taken on Urshifu-Rapid-Strike, with 60% being in favour of some kind of action against it, though the majority were unsure what they would vote.
  • Terrakion was the only Pokemon other than Scizor where a majority of tour players were against taking action against it, though only barely at 53%.
  • Aegislash had 60% support for some sort of tiering action among tour players.
  • Celesteela has a narrow majority in favour of tiering action against it.
  • Tour players are overwhelmingly in favour of a Hydreigon retest, with a mere 13% either against it or indifferent.
  • A majority of tour players are against a Mega Aerodactyl retest. Only 26% were in favour of one, with the remainder of those stating they were against it being indifferent.
  • Tour players are against retesting or unbanning Mega Venusaur, with only 40% in favour of a retest.

Non Tour Qualifiers Only:

• Many of the stats were quite similar to tour players' responses in terms of overall support for any given mon. As a result, I'll just go over the major differences.
  • The meta enjoyment and quality questions were almost the same as for tour players, though it was less concentrated at 8/7, with slightly more answers at lower numbers than for tour players.
  • Scizor's support for no action to be taken on it was slightly less overwhelming than with tour players, but still a very clear majority.
  • Unlike with tour players, there was a majority in favour of action against Terrakion, if slight.
  • While a similar amount of people are against action on Aegislash, those that are for action are much more certain of their vote. While a majority of tour players who were for action were unsure of what to vote, a significant majority of those for action say they would vote ban.
  • There was slightly less support for action to be taken on Urshifu-Rapid-Strike. However, more people rated it a 5 on the brokenness chart, which seems to indicate that while tour players are in the middle, non tour players are at one of two extremes.
  • Celesteela was mostly the same as with tour players, with maybe slightly more certainty in the take action camp.
  • There was less overall support for Hydreigon to be retested. Still a majority, but not as overwhelming.
  • Mega Aerodactyl had an overall majority support for a retest, unlike with tour players. It had the same amount of support for a retest as Hydreigon but more were indifferent compared to with Hydreigon.
  • There was no clear majority either way with Mega Venusaur. Adding "retest" and "immediately unbanned" nets it 0.1% majority over "no action" so it was clearly very split.

And that's it for this survey! It's not as in depth as the last few but that's due to there being so much more to analyse and the fact I misread the charts several times and redid it a bunch. Probably partly due to me chipping away at this bit by bit. Hopefully next survey will be faster in terms of results, though it might not be during the course of this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)