Resource National Dex OU Role Compendium

I don't comment on these much, but Ash Greninja should be put as a priority user with water shuriken right?

Last edited:
Reactions: tf

Bobsican

Powerscaler at heart
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Also going to mention that certain stuff that got banned has to be either removed (Mega Metagross, for example), or updated (Replace the Mega Alakazam sprites with the one of regular Alakazam).

I would actually like to see some new sections added.
First, add Rillaboom to the Set-Up Sweeper section and add Grassy Glide to priority section, maybe replace Tapu Bulu with it.

Second, make Weather and Trick Room into Weather, Terrain, and Trick Room, with of course the Terrain Section too.

Grassy Terrain:
Grassy Surge: :Rillaboom: :Tapu Bulu: (?)
Unburden: :Hawlucha: :Sceptile: (?)
Other Abusers: :Heatran: :Toxapex: :Kartana: :Ferrothorn: :Serperior: :Melmetal: :Greninja: :Cinderace: :Magearna: :Magnezone: :Victini:

(Every abuser either benefitting the Earthquake damage reduction, the passive healing, and/or gaining a boost to grass moves)

Psychic Terrain:
Psychic Surge: :Tapu Lele:
Unburden: :Hawlucha:
Other Abusers: :Alakazam: :Greninja: :Weavile: :Medicham-Mega: :Hoopa-Unbound: :Victini: :Blacephalon:

Electric Terrain:
Electric Surge: :Tapu Koko: (?)
Unburden: :Hawlucha:
Surge Surfer: :Raichu-Alola: (?)
Other Abusers: :Magnezone: :Dracozolt: (?) :Manectric-Mega: (?) :Zeraora: (?)

Pokemon with (?) next to them are Pokemon current not seen on the viability rankings currently (although this may change as they have been locked for a few weeks), but I still mention the abusers and setters since they could be seen as viable in the future given the movepool changes like Rising Voltage added to Raichu and Manectric, or if people find these Pokemon more viable with the recent bans like Unburden Sceptile.

Lastly, remove the unviable Pokemon like Deoxys-D and Corsola-G to round things off.

Pokemon with (?) next to them are Pokemon current not seen on the viability rankings currently (although this may change as they have been locked for a few weeks), but I still mention the abusers and setters since they could be seen as viable in the future given the movepool changes like Rising Voltage added to Raichu and Manectric, or if people find these Pokemon more viable with the recent bans like Unburden Sceptile.

Lastly, remove the unviable Pokemon like Deoxys-D and Corsola-G to round things off.
I would like to mention the inconsistency here.
So you're saying remove the unviable pokemon (which i agree with) but then you put a bunch of unviable mons in your suggestions?
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me since you're just contradicting yourself.

I would like to mention the inconsistency here.
So you're saying remove the unviable pokemon (which i agree with) but then you put a bunch of unviable mons in your suggestions?
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me since you're just contradicting yourself.
Depends mostly on what the new Viability Ranks will have to say in the future.
Unless Doexys and Corsola get some incredible move or something else happens, then definitely remove them since they are unviable with no hope.
The ones with (?) are for consideration with the new changes, rather than just saying they should be put in, and some of them are Pokemon like Tapu Bulu who are there despite Rillaboom being far superior, but still has some niche over Rillaboom like coverage, power, and healing, just as an example.

Mega Swampert should be added to Stealth Rock. It's ability to force switches against a variety of mons allows it to fulfill this role well.

Reactions: Jho
I've gone through and updated this to be more reflective of the current metagame - with Pokemon ordered according to viability for the most part!

I think there should be an added role for Assault Vest
Nothing really runs Assault Vest, aside from the occasional AV Magearna or Tangrowth(both less common these days). It's also not really a dedicated role on a team per say so having a section for it in this wouldn't really make sense.

Be sure to mention anything you think I might have missed or suggest Pokemon to go into other rolls - I'll be keeping this much more up to date from here on out!

Last edited:
why isnt cinderace in hazard control
Because it never runs Court Change.

Going to use this post to say that Dragapult has been removed and some misc changes have been made while we wait for the next VR update for the next big update here. Basically just moved Koko from niche to the Viable sections of Volt Switch, U-turn, and Rain Abusers, as well as added Zapdos into the rain section!

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Sup
I think Dracozolt should be added in the niche sand rush section, and shedinja in the niche special (special?) wall section, since they recently joined the VR. Same for Pyukumuku in the niche physical wall section.

Imo Celeestela and Blacephalon should be removed from the beast boost section, since they are bad and outclassed in the current metagame.

Kyo

In Limbo
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
National Dex Leader
Noms if you will:

• Screen setters are apparently listed as suicide leads instead of their own category so I'd include Tapu Koko and Regieleki here. Grimmsnarl may be preferred but they each have defined niches (elec terrain + u-turn and rapid spin + explosion respectively). Regieleki should also go to hazard control under rapid spin since it provides that within its team structure (screens) in the same way that Torkoal does.
  • Hatterene to cleric category under healing wish for its role on TR.
  • Hydreigon to hazard control under defog, that's prob its best set rn and certainly better than defog Latias lol. Skarm to defog as well.
  • Chansey and Mega Diancie to entry hazards under stealth rock and also Nidoking if it's gonna be included for tspikes.
  • Mega Ttar, sub Kyurem, and Z-move Kommo-o to setup sweepers under dragon dance.
  • Lando-T to setup sweepers under bulk up.
  • Blacephalon to setup sweepers under calm mind.
  • Thundurus-T to rain under other abusers (basically Zapdos with slightly different niche).
  • Blaziken to sun under other abusers and also to setup sweepers under swords dance.
  • Gliscor, Urshifu-R, and Zapdos-Galar to pivoting under u-turn.
  • Urshifu-R to wallbreakers under physical. Probably put Zapdos-Galar here too. I mean... it has a viability ranking (somehow).
  • Tapu Fini to trapping under other (whirlpool set). Also to setup sweepers under calm mind.

adem

yap
is a Tutoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
a hail section under weather is needed rn w the new rankings, clown and volcanion under special wbreakers, zolt under mixed breaker, bulu in phys breaker and mixed wall, pelliper under pursuit, swole in phys wall, vile in swords dance and zone in special breaker, kyurem in DD, clown in cm and beast boost, thundy i under vs, blaze under turn** (this is a bit shaky but considering some of the other sets, think this is fine, but understand if this is refused), add fini to cm, move gking from the niche section out, and mdiancie in rockers

and swap around some of the niche / not niche stuff like mtios and zammers in special wallbreakers, and move the newly ur stuff to niche

Very, VERY new to this, but I feel like Latias should be added to the Healing wish list as its the only mon with both defog and HW which lets it greatly support rocks weak setup sweepers, most notably Mega and regular Gyarados.

I have 0 reasons to explain these but the bottom, but I would put Xurkitree in Tail Glow
Victini in Mixed (for those weirdos)
and Mega Gyarados in Curse (the reason is though Gyarados-M is already bulky, it's still good with Curse. Not all run speed investments!)

Felt bored, made an entire role compendium because i was tired of looking at the current outdated one

Any Pokémon listed in parenthesis are considered to be niche options in that role, or are niche choices as a whole.

1: Utility

Entry Hazards:

Stealth Rock: :blissey: :chansey: :clefable: :ferrothorn: :garchomp: :gliscor: :heatran: :landorus-therian: :tyranitar-mega: :diancie-mega: :mew: (:excadrill: :hippowdon: :shuckle: :torkoal: :seismitoad:)

Spikes: :ferrothorn: :greninja: :mew: (:heracross-mega: :skarmory:)

Toxic Spikes (Toxic Spikes is a niche hazard, and as a result all setters are considered niche): :toxapex: :mew: :greninja:

Sticky Web (Sticky Web is considered a niche hazard, and as a result all setters are considered niche): :shuckle:

Suicide Leads:

:landorus-therian: :mew: :tapu-koko: (:grimmsnarl: :excadrill: :shuckle: :ninetales-alola:)

Hazard Removal:

Defog: :corviknight: :gliscor: :kartana: :landorus-therian: :scizor-mega: :tapu-fini: :zapdos: :latias-mega: :rotom-wash: (:pelipper: :tapu-koko: :mew: :moltres:)

Rapid Spin: :excadrill: (:torkoal:)

Magic Bounce: :sableye-mega: :diancie-mega: (:hatterene:)

Trapping:

Pursuit: :tyranitar: :tyranitar-mega: :weavile: (:bisharp:)

Magnet Pull: :magnezone:

Trapping moves: :tapu-fini: (whirlpool) :heatran: (magma storm)

2: Offensive Roles

Wallbreakers:

Physical: :garchomp: :kartana: :mawile-mega: :scizor-mega: :tyranitar: :weavile: :medicham-mega: :melmetal: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :landorus-therian: (:rillaboom: :victini: :heracross-mega: :hoopa-unbound: :zapdos-galar: :bisharp: :gallade-mega: :tapu-bulu:)

Special: :greninja-ash: :heatran: :kyurem: :magnezone: :tapu-koko: :tapu-lele: :serperior: :manaphy: :charizard-mega-y: :latios-mega: (:blacephalon: :gengar: :hoopa-unbound: :hydreigon: :keldeo: :nihilego: :volcanion:)

Mixed: :greninja: (protean) :diancie-mega:

Stallbreakers:

Taunt: :heatran: :tapu fini: :serperior:

Setup: :clefable: :gliscor: :reuniclus: :manaphy: :serperior: (:hydreigon: :gyarados: :gyarados-mega: :altaria-mega:)

Choice Items:</p><p></p><p>Choice Band: :kartana: :tyranitar: :weavile: :urshifu-rapid-strike: (:rillaboom: :victini:)

Choice Specs: :greninja-ash: :heatran: :magnezone: :tapu-koko: :tapu-lele: (:blacephalon: :keldeo: :volcanion:)

Choice Scarf: :greninja: (protean) :kartana: :landorus-therian: :tapu-fini: :tapu-lele: :victini: (:blacephalon: :jirachi: :zapdos-galar: :rotom-wash:)

Setup Sweepers:

Bulk Up: :zapdos-galar: :urshifu-rapid-strike:

Dragon Dance: :charizard-mega-x: :kommo-o: :gyarados-mega: (:kyurem: :gyarados: :altaria-mega:)

Swords Dance: :garchomp: :garchomp-mega: :gliscor: :kartana: :landorus-therian: :mawile-mega: :scizor-mega: :weavile: (:blaziken: :gallade-mega: :hawlucha: :heracross-mega: :bisharp: :rillaboom: :excadrill:)

Calm Mind: :clefable: :tapu-fini: :tapu-lele: :latias-mega: (:keldeo: :tapu-koko:)

Belly Drum: :kommo-o:

Nasty Plot: :hydreigon: :moltres-galar: (:gengar: :rotom-wash: :thundurus-therian:)

Tail Glow: :manaphy:

Clangorous Soulblaze: :kommo-o:

Beast Boost: :kartana: (:blacephalon: :nihilego: :buzzwole:)

Moxie: :gyarados:

Contrary: :serperior:

Speed Boost: :blaziken:

Quiver Dance: :volcarona:

Meteor Beam: :nihilego:

Priority:

Sucker Punch: :mawile-mega: :bisharp:

Fake Out: :lopunny-mega: :medicham-mega:

Water Shuriken: :greninja-ash:

Bullet Punch: :scizor-mega: (:medicham-mega:)

Ice Shard: :weavile:

Grassy Glide: :rillaboom:

Aqua Jet: :urshifu-rapid-strike:

Prankster: :grimmsnarl:

Pivoting:

U-Turn: :corviknight: :gliscor: :greninja: :landorus-therian: :lopunny-mega: :pelipper: :scizor-mega: :victini: (:rillaboom: :jirachi: :tapu-koko:)

Volt Switch: :magnezone: :tapu-koko: :zapdos: :rotom-wash: (:zeraora:)

Flip Turn: :swampert-mega: :keldeo:

Teleport: :blissey: :chansey: :slowbro: :clefable: (:slowking:)

3. Defensive Roles

Walls:

Physically Defensive: :clefable: :corviknight: :slowbro: :zapdos: :tangrowth: :reuniclus: :gliscor: :rotom-wash: :toxapex: (:skarmory: :alomomola: :moltres:)

Specially Defensive: :clefable: :rotom-wash: :heatran: :toxapex: :gastrodon: :sableye-mega: (:blissey: :chansey: :slowking: :slowking-galar:)

Mixed: :ferrothorn: :scizor-mega: :latias-mega: :tapu-fini: :tangrowth: (:amoonguss: :hippowdon: :shedinja:)

Clerics:

Wish: :clefable: (:blissey: :chansey: :alomomola:)

Heal Bell/Aromatherapy: :clefable: (:blissey: :chansey:)

Healing Wish: :jirachi: :clefable: (:chansey: :blissey:)

4. Specific Playstyles

Rain:

Setters: :pelipper:

Abusers: :swampert-mega: :manaphy: :zapdos: (:greninja-ash: :azumarill: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :tapu-koko: :barraskewda: :kingdra: :thundurus-therian:)

(Note that Rain is a very optimized team style, and as a result almost anything not part of standard rain is considered niche.)

Sun:

Setters: :torkoal: (:charizard-mega-y:)

Abusers: :venusaur: :victini: :heatran: :volcarona: :blacephalon: :blaziken:

(Note that Sun is considered a niche team style, and as a result all of its setters and abusers are considered niche.)

Sand:

Setters: :tyranitar: :tyranitar-mega: (:hippowdon:)

Abusers: :excadrill:

Hail:

Setters: :ninetales-alola:

Abusers: :arctozolt:

Sticky Webs:

Setters: :shuckle:

Abusers: :scizor-mega: :tapu-lele: :landorus-therian: :heracross-mega: :hydreigon: :manaphy: :thundurus-therian: :bisharp: :tapu-bulu:

(Note that Sticky Webs is considered a niche team style, and as a result all of its setters and abusers are considered niche)

Screens:

Setters: :tapu-koko: :grimmsnarl: (:ninetales-alola:)

Abusers: :garchomp-mega: :tapu-lele: :volcarona: :hawlucha: :gyarados-mega::serperior: (:blacephalon: :blaziken: :gengar: :gyarados: :moltres-galar: :nihilego:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)