National Dex National Dex OU Mega Charizard X Hyperoffense Team

:Charizard-Mega-X::Glimmora::Tapu Lele::Great Tusk::Serperior::Hoopa-Unbound:

Introduction

Hello everyone, this is my first RMT on the Smogon forums. As the title suggests, the core of this team is Mega Charizard X with Dragon Dance and Roost for longevity to wallbreak + sweep through the enemy team. I've supplemented it with other Pokemon to handle threats Charizard can't muscle through easily, but I don't think they're doing as well as I'd like them to. I'll elaborate on the Problem section below. The team is admittedly also pretty unga bunga face smash, as I'm pretty new to Showdown in general, so I wanted to use a team that wouldn't be hard to understand. The general formula I tried to adhere to was to limit shared types and thus shared type weaknesses to diversify the Pokemon I can switch into and address, along with a 3/3 split between Physical and Special attacking.

The Team

:Charizard-Mega-X:

Charizard-Mega-X (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

The face of the team and the core Pokemon I want to build around. :Charizard-Mega-X: is here to smash things and by god does he smash well. Dragon Dance is a must to let him outspeed :Landorus-Therian: and counteract Intimidate from others, and it boosts Flare Blitz and Dragon Claw to disgusting levels of power, often smashing through even resists. I chose Dragon Claw over Earthquake or some other coverage here because I consider Blitz + DD + Roost to be mandatory for :Charizard-Mega-X:, and I've prefer giving every Pokemon one STAB move for each type it has. Only question mark I have it whether or not to swap Dragon Claw for Outrage.

:Glimmora:

Glimmora (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Earth Power

My suicide lead. I chose :Glimmora: because she can potentially get more hazards up than just Rocks via Toxic Debris, and her STAB combination helps her threaten Fairies. I chose to exclude Mortal Spin from her set since I disliked compressing so many roles (moderate Special threat, suicide hazard lead, hazard spinner) into a single Pokemon, so I opted to load her up with both STABs and Earth Power to get good chip or even a KO if possible as she goes down. Since I'm not using Spin, I opted for 0 Atk IVs. I went for Timid since I wanted her to move first if possible. The Tera type is something I admittedly just kind of defaulted to: I'm not sure how useful it actually is since she's mostly just dying immediately post hazard setup. If there's a better option than Ghost, I'm open to it.

:Tapu Lele:

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Tera Type: Psychic
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Good old :Tapu Lele:, here for wallbreaking and cleanup. I'm also pretty firm on its place in the team since it's saved my ass so many times, haha. Very standard Choice Scarf set here, with Timid to outspeed some fast threats like :Garchomp:, :Dragapult:, and especially :Lopunny-Mega:. Focus Blast is there to kill Steel types that might threaten it, and Psyshock is mostly there to try and deal with Special walls. Tera Psychic has worked out better than Fairy for me, anecdotally, since I usually find myself needing the extra boost for Psychic to kill things like :Alomomola: more than I find myself needing the Fairy boost.

:Great Tusk:

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Spinner

Lorge Pointy. :Great Tusk: is both a spinner and another wallbreaker, this time on the physical side. It's been very helpful (along with :Tapu Lele:) against :Raging Bolt: and :Kingambit: whenever late game comes along with their Thunderclaps and Sucker Punches. Ice Spinner is there to ensure it can threaten stuff like :Gliscor: and post-Multiscale :Dragonite:, and Rapid Spin is there for hazard clearing. Headlong Rush isn't limited by Grassy Terrain like Earthquake is and fits hyperoffense better, so I chose it for that reason. Tera Water is something I'm unsure of. I've never encountered situations where Tera Ground or Fighting would have snagged me a kill, so I just chose a good defensive Tera.

:Serperior:

Serperior (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Tera Blast
- Glare
- Substitute

My secondary sweeper. :Serperior:'s Contrary lets me get away with less SpAtk investment along with Timid to make sure she lives longer and has bigger Subs, and she's uniquely positioned to take advantage of Tera Stellar to hit everything else for at least good neutral damage. Glare hasn't full-para'd as many times as I'd like, but the Speed dropping has been an invaluable help against really fast threats that :Tapu Lele: or DD :Charizard-Mega-X: can't deal with easily. She's also my designated Water killer, doing great work against :Alomomola:, :Dondozo:, and :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: whenever I run into them.

:Hoopa-Unbound:

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Gunk Shot

To be honest, I started using :Hoopa-Unbound: because I was really really fucking tired of playing :Aegislash:'s stance dance. Hyperspace Fury not only never misses but also bypasses King's Shield, letting me finally get rid of that annoying fucker instead of trying to predict for 3 turns straight. Drain Punch lets it stay healthy if it ever encounters :Ferrothorn: and hit other Steels and Darks, while Gunk Shot lets it hit :Clefable: and other Fairies. This is the most recent addition to my team and the one I put the least thought into, frankly.

The Problem

:Pelipper: :Swampert-Mega: :Barraskewda:

Rain has been the biggest thorn in my side. I have no way to reset the weather on my team, and :Serperior: can only do so much against Swift Swimmers before being worn down. :Swampert-Mega: is especially thorny if it packs Ice Punch, as it turns :Serperior: into a sweeping domino, and Rain reducing Blitz's power also interferes with :Charizard-Mega-X:'s sweeping since now :Landorus-Therian: doesn't even die to +1 Blitz and can easily KO back with Earthquake. I don't even have any Water types to fit into the team, and both :Zapdos: and :Raging Bolt: have felt exploitable by :Swampert-Mega: and :Archaludon: respectively. :Gliscor: gets even more obnoxious, as now it's free to Protect + Poison Heal itself up even if I try to switch :Great Tusk: in. And that's not even mentioning whenever Baneful Bunker :Toxapex:.

You have an interesting team utilizing Mega-Charizard-X. I tried to keep some resemblance with your team and maintaining Charizard-Mega-X, and came up with a more balanced, but threatening team.
Changes
:Glimmora: -> :Landorus-Therian:
Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Explosion
- U-turn
- Taunt / Toxic
- Stealth Rock
The issue with Glimmora is that it's toxic spikes clash with Serperior's Glare, rendering it mute, possibly changing the course of the game. Here I chose a much more standard but great lead. It is your standard Landorus-Therian lead with Stealth Rock, Toxic (I prefer Taunt), U-Turn and Explosion. Landorus-Therian is great for keeping momentum due to it's bulk, natural attack and Intimidate, keeping your teams drive going.

:Tapu Lele:
Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Tera Type: Psychic
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock / Energy Ball
I honestly didn't see much to change with Tapu-Lele but to swap Choice Scarf ---> Choice Specs. Choice Specs Lele is instantly more threatening as it can pose lethal damage right away to most Pokemon, instead of ~2-3 hits to KO. The moveset is okay, but I left a few alternative options that can be ran, moreover HP (Fire) if you specifically want to deal with Ferrothorns/Scizors and other steel types that can pose threats, Focus Blast is just as viable to possibly deal with Heatrans. Energy Ball over Psyshock is my recommendation, but not necessary, since it allows for more move diversity.

:Great Tusk:

Great Tusk @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Spinner
I swapped the EV's/Nature/Item to allow for a more bulky Great Tusk to ensure it can remove hazards multiple times in a game, since it is important to be able to drag Pokemon like Charizard in without taking damage. You mentioned you liked to use Great Tusk against Raging Bolt or Kingambit, so I spec'd it to be able to comfortably survive both Pokemon. Great Tusk can usually 2KO most general Pokemon due to it's great natural attack, so not much investment needed.

:Serperior: -> :Rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
Serperior is heavily exploitable, especially in mid/high ladder. Most times it will die before you can sub and setup. Rillaboom provides as much threat as well as provides the team with some much needed priority. It also doesn't clash with Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge because it gets replaced with Grassy Surge, allowing you to pick and choose whenever you or your enemy can use priority. Anyways, max attack and speed allows you to outspeed a lot of unassuming Pokemon and deal heavy damage, as well as utility moves like Knock Off to slowly shut down stall, and U-Turn to keep momentum.

:Slowking-Galar:
Slowking-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Chilly Reception
- Flamethrower
For the last slot, I put in Slowking-Galar. This Pokemon is overall a very well-versed mon with great diversity in moves and stab coming in with Future Sight. Moreover It can always use Chilly Reception to switch out last, giving you the best kind of momentum, as well as changing any type of weather (other than snow, which is the least used weather), this temporarily shuts down enemy momentum and puts you a step ahead.

Overview on Previous Weakness
This team fairs better against the Rain matchup as you have Rillaboom to provide priority that can OHKO, and Slowking-Galar to change weather. And alongside that you can always play around those two to eventually, wear down and win again rain matchups, so try and preserve those two as long as you can. I personally wouldn't worry too much about Gliscor toxic/protect stalling because you can always Chilly Reception facing Gliscor into Rillaboom / Tusk to deal with it. Toxapex is a non-issue Slowking Galar walls it, as well as Future Sight to deal with, alongside with other mons like Tusks to deal with it.

Ending Thoughts
Overall, I used this team in ~1500-1600 ELO as I was in kind of a rush, but managed to play enough games to tweak some stuff around. I know I changed a lot but I tried to keep the core concept of Mega-Charizard-X around. I would say this team is a mix between Offense&Balanced, not Hyperoffense. Here is the Pokepaste of the team version I used.
https://pokepast.es/e4a6bdf9ec054727

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)