Resource National Dex OU Good Cores

Padstar34

formerly FlygonNo.1
is a Tiering Contributor
:magnezone: :rillaboom:
https://pokepast.es/fdbd8e7ea8f9671e
Fairly Standart sets. Rillaboom U-turns into the steels that counter it, Magnezone traps them. Mega Scizor, Corviknight, Ferrothorn, and Kartana minus choice band sets. Magearna and Mega Mawile are also checked by zone, but they also can't swap into Rillaboom's High Horsepower, which is for the most part for Heatran, Aegislash, Zard X and Volcarona, to an extent. They do both get checked or countered by Zard Y and Volcarona, so Blissey on balance teams or a pursuit trapper can be helpful, Heattom, Zard X, Garchomp, and Pelliper also all do an effective job of checking these 2. Zard X is also effective in checking another threat to these 2 as it can effectively check Zapdos, as can Rockium Z Garchomp, however, it cannot effectively switch in in fear of HP Ice. Tangrowth is also worth a mention, however Rocky Helmet sets are checked by Zone and AV sets hate taking Banded Adamant U-turns from Rillaboom.

Padstar34

formerly FlygonNo.1
is a Tiering Contributor
:magnezone: :rillaboom:
https://pokepast.es/fdbd8e7ea8f9671e
Fairly Standart sets. Rillaboom U-turns into the steels that counter it, Magnezone traps them. Mega Scizor, Corviknight, Ferrothorn, and Kartana minus choice band sets. Magearna and Mega Mawile are also checked by zone, but they also can't swap into Rillaboom's High Horsepower, which is for the most part for Heatran, Aegislash, Zard X and Volcarona, to an extent. They do both get checked or countered by Zard Y and Volcarona, so Blissey on balance teams or a pursuit trapper can be helpful, Heattom, Zard X, Garchomp, and Pelliper also all do an effective job of checking these 2. Zard X is also effective in checking another threat to these 2 as it can effectively check Zapdos, as can Rockium Z Garchomp, however, it cannot effectively switch in in fear of HP Ice. Tangrowth is also worth a mention, however Rocky Helmet sets are checked by Zone and AV sets hate taking Banded Adamant U-turns from Rillaboom.
Something else I forgot to mention is Heattom, who does check both, but absolutely loathes a band wood hammer, with it dealing around 70%. This further compliments using Zard X/Blissey as a teammate to these 2.

Avery

Banned deucer.
i'm gonna put the ones we talked about in discord pms here since i figured they should be included.

:sm/greninja: :sm/magnezone:

Gren baits in steels like Ferro and Sciz which Magnezone abuses, note this is particularly effective with a Scarf Gren and a Sub Z Magnezone to handle both Kartana and Mawile in addition to Scizor, Ferro, and Corv.

:sm/magnezone: :sm/gliscor:

Magnezone removes Scizor, Corv, and Ferrothorn from Gliscor's path to victory, which frees up SD Gliscor a lot more throughout the match since it won't have to deal with being hard walled by these steels, especially Scizor and Corv.

:sm/magnezone: :sm/garchomp:

Same concept as above except Magnezone can also pressure Fairies for Garchomp

:ss/kyurem: :sm/lopunny-mega:

:ss/mawile-mega: :ss/hydreigon:

I think these two should be pretty self explanatory and should have already been on this list. Going to edit in full explanations later; its 1 am.

+

Here are the sets (can be changed according to anyone's liking ofc)

This core is simple: Gliscor is able to break to most if not all of the things that counters volcarona (Heatran, Toxapex, Pink Blobs etc.) making a much more efficient volc sweep.
Volcarona in turn helps gliscor by being able to switch into and beat most of the grasses such as tangrowth, ferro etc. and is able to pivot into kyurem and can threaten out slowbro(if need be). Watch out for knock from ferro and tang tho

:ss/greninja-ash: + :ss/lopunny-mega:.
This is a pretty straightforward core, they both deal with each others checks (and can both pressure pex immensely), lopunny can u turn on slowbro and non AV tang while lopunny deals with Hydreigon, blissey and pressures fini

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This hasn't been updated in a while but, I feel I should just add some cores that have been getting really good over the last month.

:ss/cinderace: + :ss/dracovish:

This is one of the strongest offensive cores in the meta, if not the strongest. The lack of Pokemon that can punish Cinderace's U-turn because of how hard it is to pivot around is absolutely huge for Dracovish, since its one of the most threatening wallbreakers available right now. Cinderace forces in Pokemon such as Gliscor, Heatran and Lando-T due to how hard it is to play around, and Dracovish preys on that by threatening them with Fishious Rend. Cinderace is able to pivot against many bulky Pokemon that can check it but cannot handle Dracovish and are often forced out by it, meaning Dracovish gets a 2HKO on something or a kill.

:ss/slowbro: + :ss/cinderace: / :ss/dracovish:

This is another core that has also become excellent over the past few weeks. Future Sight Slowbro makes wallbreaking much easier for many Pokemon, and these 2 are not any different. Baneful Bunker Toxapex has also been emerging to keep Vishace in check, so what better way to beat that option than with Future Sight Slowbro. Slowbro just uses Future Sight, then Teleports into either Cinderace or Dracovish, which forces in one of their checks, Toxapex being the big one as now Toxapex cannot switch into their of them as it can just get knocked out by Future Sight. Which can make them harder to handle.

:ss/slowbro: + :ss/greninja-ash:

I mentioned those 2, so why not mention Ash Greninja instead? The way this core functions is pretty much the same to how the one above functions so I won't go too deep into this one, but I want to mention that aside from beating Pex with Future Sight, it also puts very needed chip onto Tapu Fini, which is one Ash Greninja's hardest counters.

_ _

Alright that's all for now. I'll add more if there are more cores that emerge.

Wow I haven't posted in these forums for a long time now huh? Figure I should at least post something here since I've at least tried to keep up with the meta.

:ss/slowbro: + :ss/blissey:

https://pokepast.es/8beaa1ebd1ae0675

Kinda surprised no one mentioned this yet.
I think we all know what this core does at this point since it's now the bread-and-butter core of pivot-based Balance/BO teams, and it's not hard to see why. Seriously, you wall a huge majority of the entire metagame while being able to stay healthy and Teleport out to bring in the tier's best breakers like Vish, Ace, Gren, etc and simultaneously providing other support like Future Sight/Seismic Toss chip and Toxic/Twave/Aromatherapy (As you can tell, Blissey's fourth moveslot is pretty versatile) to assist in breaking the opposing team down. This core does have weaknesses of course, such as Knock-Off removing HDB and hazards wearing it down as a result, as well as certain wallbreakers like Kartana, Pursuit-Trappers, Rillaboom, and Tapu Lele, so teammates like Corviknight(best teammate imo, since it beats all the aforementioned wallbreakers easily AND clears hazards well), Zapdos, and Mega Scizor work really well.

:sm/lopunny-mega: + :ss/slowbro:

https://pokepast.es/37ed267f91acc735

Mega Lopunny appreciates Slowbro teleporting it in and slapping checks to it like Pex and Clef with Future Sight so it can eventually break past them. Slowbro in return appreciates Mega Lopunny beating all the Dark-types that force it out.

:sm/scizor-mega: + :ss/slowbro:

https://pokepast.es/e56f20f717241ab2

Ok, last Slowbro core I promise. Like the above core, Mega Scizor vastly appreciates Slowbro chipping its checks and counters, most notably Pex and Tran, with Future Sight and Scald. In return, Slowbro appreciates Mega Scizor being able to switchin to and beat Pokes like Weavile and Kartana. However, while these two can pretty much blanket check every physical attacker in the meta as well as soft -check Psychics like Zam and Lele, the core tends to struggle against stuff like Volcarona and Ash-Gren, so teammates like Blissey are great in covering these threats.

:ss/Dracovish: + :sm/scizor-mega:

https://pokepast.es/27ad7a1d738c1d15

Like the BroZor core, except Band Vish can just straight up blast through Scizor's answers with ease. Scizor can also check Fairies and Dragons and cover more offensive teams while Vish can handle bulky teams and switchin on certain Fire-types.

Think that's all for now, though I may end up double-posting if I come up with more cores lol.
Also, what are the typical sets used for AceVish? I assume Z-move/Scarf + Band, but not super sure.

Edit: Added sets

Last edited:
Think that's all for now, though I may end up double-posting if I come up with more cores lol.
Also, what are the typical sets used for AceVish? I assume Z-move/Scarf + Band, but not super sure.
Ace is normally just standard boots in these cores, being able to pivot around without taking hazard damage let’s it bring in the strong breakers freely and incredibly reliably.

As an aside these cores are much better team building tools and new player resource if the sets are linked with them - if people could do that from now on that would would be awesome!

Batzi

“I’m Cosmo Kramer, the Assman!”
is a Tiering Contributor
:tapu fini: :charizard-mega-x:

I don't know if this has been posted yet but these two work fairly well together so that zard doesn't get crippled by status while trying to set up as well as fini providing defog.

EDIT: My dumbass said "crippled by hazards" instead of "crippled by status"

Last edited:

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey everyone! It’s been a while. I’ve been meaning to update this thread for a while, but haven’t gotten around to it. I should note that all banned Pokemon up to our newest Dracovish have been removed. Kedp the submissions coming though, as I am going to update this at some point!

Triple starter Offense FWG
:ss/cinderace: :sm/Greninja-ash: :ss/Rillaboom:
This core is pretty simple but its pretty effective.
Together they form a great offensive core and force out each others weakness.
Ashgren provides spikes for itself and the others to abuse while ace and boom form a strong uturn core,boom also provides knock off support.
These all also provide priority which allows them to combat offense harder.

So because of Zard X rising, I would like to mention a couple of cores I've been experimenting with recently.

:charizard-mega-x: :tapu koko:

A terrain boosted Thunder Punch with Tough Claws hits really hard (Not even just on those weak to it, even on mons who are neutral to it) and it's able to take down Slowbro and lure in other bulky waters, including Toxapex or Tapu Fini. Koko provides a solid pivot so you're able to bring in something such as Zard X or Hawluca (Another pretty solid staple that is effective on these kinds of teams)

:charizard-mega-x: :tapu lele:

They cover each other's weaknesses rather well. Zard X handles steels so Lele isn't forced to just rely on Focus Blast and setting up CM. Here CM Fight Z Lele is meant to be an emergency wincon and stall breaker. Again, Lucha works just as well here.

Note: click on the sprites to see the sets

:ss/clefable: + :ss/toxapex:

Surprised no one brought this core up, as PexClef is one of if not the most splashable cores on Balance teams atm. Toxapex really appreciates Clefable's Dark resistance, as it allows the two to pivot around Ash-Greninja thanks to Pex's Regenerator and Clefable's decent bulk + Softboiled. Clef also helps Pex by checking threats to it like Mega Medicham and Garchomp, while Pex checks the steels that force Clefable out. The two can also pile on residual damage with Stealth Rock + TSpikes (if the team needs TSpikes for a wincon like Double Dance Reuniclus), which reduces their overall passivity. Other balance staples like Gliscor, Ferrothorn, and Mega Latias make for good teammates, as they can check threats like Heatran that can break through this core. Didn't include sets because just about any viable Clef and Pex sets work here.

:ss/Clefable: + :ss/gastrodon:

Similar to the core above, but you trade certain matchups like the Zards and Mega Scizor for other matchups like Magearna, Tapu Koko, and Heatran. Again, any viable Clef set works for the most part, and Gastro is almost always SpD.

:sm/medicham-mega: + :ss/magearna:

I know this is already in the Resource, but this has been my personal favorite wall-breaking core as of late. Specs Magearna + Mega Medicham breaks through the common BlissBro BO and PexClef Balances that are a huge part of the current meta. Medicham appreciates Mage obliterating/wearing down its few checks with Specs Fleur Cannon and Volt Switch or at least crippling them with Trick, as well as pivoting it unscathed. In return, Mage appreciates Medicham breaking past mons like opposing Magearna and Mega Scizor that otherwise tank its attacks. It's also worth noting that the only mon that can take attacks from both members is Aegislash, which isn't exactly renowned for its longevity (and SubToxic is awful rn, so it likely isn't running Leftovers). As for teammates, since this core is slow and does incredibly well against defensive playstyles, Pokemon that can provide speed control and handle more offensive teams are appreciated. Future Sight Slowbro is also insane with this core since it makes switching into either member of the core nigh impossible without sacking something in the process.

:ss/magearna: + :ss/landorus-therian:

While the old LandoGear Core of AV Mage + Defensive Lando is outdated imo, that isn't to say they aren't good partners anymore. Quite the contrary, as Scarf Lando and Specs Mage, make for a devastating Voltturn core, as Lando can pivot in on opposing Grounds trying to remove Mage and weaken them with Intimidate before pivoting out to other teammates and appreciates Mage breaking through roadblocks like Tangrowth for it to clean up late-game.

:ss/tapu-koko: + :sm/scizor-mega:

Ok, last core for now. Basically, Specs Koko runs through many of Mega Scizor's checks and counters, such as Toxapex, Corviknight, and Heatran, which allows it to set up and sweep the opposing team eventually. Since this core can struggle with bulky grasses (If Scizor runs Knock Off instead of U-turn), teammates like Z-Heatran and Cinderace work decently, and defensive pivots like Kommo-o and Slowbro are helpful as well.

+

Toxapex and AV Tangrowth are a well-known, and infuriatingly good core. They can be thrown casually onto most teams to provide a good defensive backbone and Regenerator core. Toxapex can tank Poison, Fire, and Bug moves for Tangrowth. In return, Tangrowth can eat up Ground and Electric type attacks, and is a good switch in for most Psychic types, as well. Their great versatility let's them take on an array of threats, with ease.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if any of these have been added yet but I'm going to suggest them just in case.

Offensive Cores

Slowbro + Zard Y is a very potent core right now and shows Slowbro's amazing support capabilities. Zard Y's Fire Blast / Flamethrowers are very hard to switch into without something like can sponge it or resist it, like Blissey or Toxapex, the latter especially can be devastated with a Future Sight up especially if Toxapex is your only Zard Y switch in on your team, and that opens up doors for this Pokemon really massively. Also because of Teleport, Zard Y doesn't have to make any risks especially if there are rocks up, which would otherwise always deter Zard Y from hard switching in. Overall this is a very potent offensive core and definitely one of Slowbro's best partners.

Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Slack Off
- Teleport

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Yet another 1 that uses Slowbro, though tbh all of these are going to be Slowbro cores. Anyway, Mega Lopunny is a pretty great partner as well since first of all, it pretty much guarantees that Toxapex gets taken care of when Future Sight is up, but also how it can nullify max health Physdef Clefable as a check to it. Clefable doesn't really like to switch into Mega Lopunny already since it takes around 40% - 45% from it at the top of my head and after a Future Sight is up its no longer a check to it. Toxapex I feel is a much more important target for Mega Lopunny and Slowbro letting Mega Lopunny in for free with Teleport makes it even better.

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Slack Off
- Teleport

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Return
- U-turn

pannu

THE GONG OF KNOCKOUT
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wanted to discuss some cores i like

:hydreigon: + :heatran:

I really enjoy this core, Hydreigon is one of the better defoggers rn and heatran helps check its biggest check in fairies, meanwhile hydreigon can sponge alot of water and ground moves for heatran. Sadly both these 2 are weak to fighting so if you use this core while building youd want a fighting type switch-in

:kyurem: + :magnezone:

Kyurem is a very good pokemon, however it has some strong checks, noteably Clefable, Mega-Scizor and Corviknight. Magnezone is a Fantastic mon to threaten clef and other fairies aswell as trap and remove Steel types like Ferrothorn or Msciz. Specs Volt Switch can also allow kyurem into the field.

:greninja-ash: + :slowbro:

Specs ashgren is one of the best future sight abusers rn imo, Future sight basically invalidates pex as a switch in and You can just click Uturn on stuff like Hydreigon or blissey, both are weak to electric tho so thats kinda unfort when team building

Zneon

uh oh
Offensive Core

Gotta add Terrain and Hawlucha because it wasn't added yet, but yeah, KokoLucha is really neat. Specs Tapu Koko is an amazing pivot, its ability to threaten Hawlucha's checks such as Slowbro, Mega Latias and Toxapex or at least weaken them is a huge plus in its favour, coupled with its ability to beat grounds on the switch its very easy for this mon to get a Volt Switch off, and once it does when everything is weakened enough, Hawlucha is ready to sweep. All it really needs are its STABs to do work, since it's only resisted by a few Pokemon which can be overwhelmed by Tapu Koko. Nothing much to say since this core is very straightforward, but KokoLucha is pretty good and something worth adding.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Substitute

Last edited:

Zneon

uh oh
Offensive Core

Future Sight + Specs Magearna is an absolute monster of a core given how potent of a abuser Magearna truly is, Toxapex is a pretty good switch into Specs Magearna but all it can really do is Trick or Volt Switch to make progress against Toxapex, with Future Sight up Toxapex is straight up dead after Magearna goes for Fleur Cannon or its secondary move of Focus Blast or Flash Cannon, both are still resisted by Toxapex and it being removed once its up, and then Magearna just wreaks havoc just with Fleur Cannon alone. So yeah, I don't think this core is added despite how good it is and I feel that it should be in my opinion.

Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Future Sight
- Teleport

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Defensive Core

Toxapex + Blissey works quite well, not as well as BlissBro but it's pretty good nonetheless. Toxapex covers Blissey's bad weakness to Fighting-types, it removes Heavy-Duty Boots and Leftovers from other defensive Pokemon, it also helps Blissey by hazing bulky setup sweepers like Clefable which would otherwise use Blissey as setup fodder, whereas Blissey can 1v1 Pokemon that can easily take advantage of Toxapex such as Zapdos and Mega Latias with the combination of Toxic and Seismic Toss.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Knock Off

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Teleport

might dragon 1.2

Banned deucer.
+

this classic core needs no explaining

people always talk about lop and gren but I have found much more success with this core one main reason is probly m maw tp after and sd it can take most importantly pex and fini for gren to clean up

+

i really really like medicham in the webs helps it outspeed and kill many mons it would not do before most notably non scarf kart, gren, lop, and other grounded non heavy duty boots mon (unless they wall it)

just thought i would put this here i really like these core
+

+
+
/

sev edit - merged posts, instead of multiple posts in the future, try editing your original post :)

Last edited:
:Toxapex: Toxapex + :Tangrowth: Tangrowth
Balanced/Defensive Core

Hi everyone, Bolivia here bringing up a core I adapted from USUM OU to natdex, and have been enjoying recently. The cool thing about this core is the "double regenerator" that these pokemon share. In addition, these pokemon, to some extent, cover for each other defensively. Tangrowth is one of the best switch ins to the evil virus pokemon Garchomp, as well as many other offensive ground types that Toxapex can't check like it does to most other pokemon (notably, Z-Landorus is a notable exception, as Tangrowth drops to a zfly, but, in the current meta, most things do :P ). Toxapex helps out with some grass weaknesses, like bug and fire. While specially attacking psychic types, like Tapu Lele and Alakazam, have a fun time blasting through this core, in my opinion, this core has a lot of strengths outside of type synergy. For example, Tangrowth's access to sleep, and Toxapex's access to toxic or toxic spikes, are both ludicrous tools at opening opponents up to a late game cleaner (I've gushed about the power of sleep on the VR many a time before, and tspikes are also quite good even in the HDB-proliferated meta). Additionally, regenerator is an ability that compounds in effectiveness the more pokemon you have with the ability. Especially as Tangrowth normally does not run synthesis, the having the regenerating, defensive backbone to rely on is very helpful for Tangrowth, as it is the weaker of the two pokemon. Additionally, Toxapex hates being knocked off, and Tangrowth hates being toxiced. Guess what! Toxapex is toxic immune, and it's obviously not ideal but Tangrowth doesn't require an item. All in all, this probably isn't as in depth as I could go, but nonetheless, this is a potent core on the right team (pretty easy to use as well, regen rewards brainless gameplay, my favorite :D).

Weavile and Magnezone are a great trapping core, that are especially useful for better players that like to make reads. Magnezone can trap things like Ferrothorn and Mega-Scizor, letting Weavile use Triple Axel indiscriminately. In return, Weavile can kill and Pursuit ground types for Magnezone. But these two truly shine as supporters of another attacker, such as Mega-Diancie or Mega-Latias, trapping opposing threats.

Last edited:

A large part of why blaziken isn't considered broken is not just its frailty, but that it isn't always able to accomplish much due to the pick your poison nature of choosing z move coverage, which necessitates prior setup to not get cleaved open by a revenge killer. It also struggles with numerous bulky waters and grounds due to the reduced power of its coverage or stabs without life orb. Enter Drought. The 1.5x boost to its fire stab and halved damage from water attacks allows blaziken to setup much more easily vs many threats and not get walled in turn. For example, it turns tapu fini from a check to setup fodder by halving the damage from scald and boosting Firium z to staggering levels of power. Here is just a sample of what it can do:

+2 252+ Atk Blaziken Inferno Overdrive (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias-Mega in Sun: 411-483 (112.9 - 132.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Blaziken Inferno Overdrive (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro in Sun: 325-383 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Blaziken Inferno Overdrive (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Toxapex in Sun: 335-394 (110.1 - 129.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Blaziken Inferno Overdrive (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Sun: 258-303 (84.8 - 99.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Blaziken Inferno Overdrive (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Kommo-o in Sun: 321-378 (90.6 - 106.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Blaziken Inferno Overdrive (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian in Sun: 559-658 (146.3 - 172.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Blaziken Inferno Overdrive (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Tapu Fini in Sun: 330-389 (95.9 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

I could go on but you probably get the point. Nothing walls this thing under sun barring water type unaware pokemon on stall teams, who still take nearly 50% from close combat and have a slight tendency to let their stall teams get 6-0ed by venusaur. Pelipper is also an issue due to resisting both stabs and changing the weather, but sun teams usually have the tools to beat rain teams regardless, so this isn't too much of a problem.

(Note: Any set with firium z paired with drought will have similar calcs, but protect is partially to demonstrate the lack of need for coverage due to the sheer power of z flare blitz under sun. It also has other benefits like allowing it to quasi-automatically outspeed threats as fast as weavile (aka most offensive pokemon in the tier, even unevolved greninja), blocking fake out from medicham and lopunny, and providing the one extra speed boost needed for some scarfers like lando-t.)

Now for the defensive aspect. In addition to setting up on usual targets such as blissey, ferrothorn, tyranitar, heatran switching out, choice locked kartana, etc., it can also set up on tapu fini and toxapex and inflict a massive amount of damage. Even slowbro fails to do enough damage turn 1, allowing blaziken to SD up and send it to the shadow realm with minimal chip.

Torkoal provides sun support (and can hold heat rock for extra sun turns), sets stealth rock with a level of consistency (threatening corviknight, kartana, lando-t, and zapdos with either a super effective burn or status, even threatening stuff like pelipper and fini on a reasonable prediction), and has a significant amount of defensive utility due to it's skarmory-rivaling physical bulk and only 2x weakness to stealth rock. The most obvious point of comparison would be Mega Charizard Y, who has an immense offensive presence, roost, and the ability to threaten rain teams immediately with its coverage. The difference here is that torkoal has a slightly reduced need for urgent hazard removal, has increased ability to pivot in due to its bulk, can hold heat rock for increased sun duration, frees up a moveslot for stealth rock, and can more consistently threaten sand teams with body press rather than relying upon focus blast accuracy. Additionally, it can free up a potential mega slot if one desires to use a different mega. There is an arguement for both setters, but in my opinion torkoal is a better overall partner for blaziken due to its support capabilities.

The exact set provided can have one of toxic or body press swapped out for rapid spin, but each increases the difficulty of the matchup vs rain or sand respectively. Torkoal is also terrible at hazard removal anyway, only threatening ferrothorn who is easily dealt with for this teamstyle. Unlike in OU, it can't even threaten all of the viable spikers, since greninja dominates it. Sun team always need a separate form of hazard removal anyway, so this isn't much of a sacrifice.

Before Blaziken was introduced, sun teams have had a rough time in national dex due to their shaky matchup vs much of the meta. With the addition of blaziken for a fast, flexible offensive sweeper and wallbreaker to compress offensive roles, this might be able to allow them to shore up their defensive backbone or diversify the potential offensive pokemon that could be added.

I submitted this core to this thread at the end of June, where I am happy to say Torkoal won the vote for best Blaziken partner.

Last edited:
being fair here i think rain deserves to use kommo-o over manaphy it get +2 to every stat so after 1 boost it outpaces manaphy and destroys it with it's z move and get another boost

Same thing goes with ash gren in rain after taking some chip fini will in in range of gunk shot which you can also use to destroy tapu koko
cathing people of guard and mining some SALT with that is also a great idea for those of you who lilke salt . Ice beam really only deals with zapdos which rain can use their own zapdos or thunderus therian for but mega pert at certain health ranges can revenge kill zapdos with liquidation or flip turn like after ferrothorn has blown up
This is my opinion also shows the brutual power of ferrothorn's explosion and scizor is important in rain cus A- just like ferrothorn it lost it's fire weakness from 4* to 2* and B - it's a great revenge killer it also has life orb u turns which hit harder than mega scizor
i'm not saying ''tHis iS tHe bEst cOre'' but jjust think about it and try to use it i had written a kommo-o analysis somewhere idk where it is rn but i request u to give it a chance trust me it'll be fun

being fair here i think rain deserves to use kommo-o over manaphy it get +2 to every stat so after 1 boost it outpaces manaphy and destroys it with it's z move and get another boost

Same thing goes with ash gren in rain after taking some chip fini will in in range of gunk shot which you can also use to destroy tapu koko
cathing people of guard and mining some SALT with that is also a great idea for those of you who lilke salt . Ice beam really only deals with zapdos which rain can use their own zapdos or thunderus therian for but mega pert at certain health ranges can revenge kill zapdos with liquidation or flip turn like after ferrothorn has blown up
This is my opinion also shows the brutual power of ferrothorn's explosion and scizor is important in rain cus A- just like ferrothorn it lost it's fire weakness from 4* to 2* and B - it's a great revenge killer it also has life orb u turns which hit harder than mega scizor
i'm not saying ''tHis iS tHe bEst cOre'' but jjust think about it and try to use it i had written a kommo-o analysis somewhere idk where it is rn but i request u to give it a chance trust me it'll be fun
Godzilla had a stroke while trying to read this and f***ing died.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)