Announcement National Dex Other Tiers Spotlight League - Format discussion

What tier do you think should be included?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Previously known as NDOTPL / Exhibition Team Tour

Welcome to the first edition of the National Dex Other Tiers Exhibition Team Tournament! This is a team tournament aiming to give more tournament representation to some lesser seen NDOTs. However, we will have to discuss what tiers to include - the priority being of course given to tiers that get the less representation, but that still get enough interest to attract signups.

In this thread, we will be trying to find the answers to two questions:

-How many slots are we going to include? 4, 6, 8?

-What tiers should we include?

Only the tiers present in the National Dex Other Tiers subforum are eligible: (List subject to change)
National Dex Ubers
National Dex Doubles
National Dex Monotype
National Dex UU
National Dex RU
And the following tiers hosted in the National Dex OMs subforum:
National Dex AAA
National Dex BH
National Dex STABmons
National Dex Mix and Mega
National Dex Godly Gift
National Dex NFE
National Dex Convergence
National Dex VoltTurn Mayhem
National Dex Shared Power
National Dex LC

Of course, some of these tiers already have a lot of tournament representation, while some others did not see any discussion/play in a bit - this will of course be taken into account when the format will be decided. Happy posting!:psyglad:

Last edited:

pannu

beyond the farthest stars
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, first of all I think this name is awful, please change it.

Secondly, I believe that 6 slots is the optimal lineup; AAA, BH, STAB, NFE, MNM, GG. These are the most popular other tiers that aren't in PL and as such they should get their own tour

Kinzo

formerly Kinzo Ketchum
Hello. I think the tiers that are already in ndpl shouldnt be here. Hence something like the following should look realy cool. Also 8 slots is preffered by me.
LC
MNM
STABMONS
AAA
NFE
GG
BH
CONVERGENCE

Evie

Nobody gets me like you
is a Tiering Contributor
Agree with the above post about tiers in ndpl and if we are to do 8 slots, their lineup is good. If we decide on 6 slots, i think the lineup should be AAA, NFE, STAB, MNM, BH, Convergence. Convergence has had reasonable activity recently and i personally have not seen much activity in GG and worry that there would not be enough people that play GG who would not rather be playing another tier.

Also R8 you should put up a poll on this thread to gauge interest in tiers

National Dex Ubers
National Dex Doubles
National Dex Monotype
National Dex UU
National Dex RU

National Dex AAA
National Dex BH
National Dex STABmons
National Dex Mix and Mega
National Dex Godly Gift
National Dex NFE
National Dex Convergence
National Dex VoltTurn Mayhem
National Dex Shared Power

National Dex LC

or maybe nfe*5 mnm*2 vtm*1

thoughts?

edit: I am in favor of a 6 slots 8 team premier league. 6 slots being lc, aaa, nfe, bh, gg, conv

I don't think stab and mnm are very ideal because they have code issues

Last edited:
The tour name would make more sense if it was called National Dex League of Extraordinary Gentleman (NDLXG). It has leagues, it includes extraordinary metagames and most of the people involved are gentlemen.

As for the formats included, 8 of the following should work:
AAA, BH, STAB, GG, NFE, LC, Convergence, Mix and Mega

If we're going 6:
AAA, BH, STAB, GG, NFE, Convergence.

I would be happy with LC > Convergence since LC has broader mainstream appeal, but Convergence is a relatively more developed metagame - it was only until recently that the whole "NDLC is dead" thing died down. I am aware that excluding MnM is a controversial choice since it's more popular atm than ND STAB and ND GG, but gentle manning in PL or any other quarter-serious team tour is a recipe for disaster. For context, there have been numerous games where people brought banned stones or Pokemon (admittedly, I almost brought pidgeotite gengar until I doubled checked the thread), and my game vs About15guys had a bug with Necrozma-Dusk Mane.

If the code is fixed within the month or so till launch, then I'm fine with MnM > LC and Conv.

I think it would be easier on most people with an 8-man tour but with both ND and OM gearing up for tour season, I'll leave that up to the discretion of cooler heads.

sealoo

PaulGod
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi, first of all I think this name is awful, please change it.

Secondly, I believe that 6 slots is the optimal lineup; AAA, BH, STAB, NFE, MNM, GG. These are the most popular other tiers that aren't in PL and as such they should get their own tour
I agree (both parts)

8 slots with what Velcroc suggested is probably chill too

Last edited:

R8

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
By the way if you have ideas for an other name for the tour not including "premier league", feel free to suggest them in this thread

I think I mostly agree with Velcroc. I also share the concerns about MnM, even though problems can be avoided if we make sure managers pay attention to this. It would def be uncool to see a game being decided by a mistake/a bug.

Do we think we will get enough signups for 8 slots? It would be ideal to include as much stuff as possible imo, and we also probably would get extra signups as more tiers would probably attract more players in general.

sealoo

PaulGod
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
By the way if you have ideas for an other name for the tour not including "premier league", feel free to suggest them in this thread

I think I mostly agree with Velcroc. I also share the concerns about MnM, even though problems can be avoided if we make sure managers pay attention to this. It would def be uncool to see a game being decided by a mistake/a bug.

Do we think we will get enough signups for 8 slots? It would be ideal to include as much stuff as possible imo, and we also probably would get extra signups as more tiers would probably attract more players in general.
Hi R8, myself and a group of others have been developing a prototype for a name recently, so figured I'd share it here.

We concluded that "NDOTPL" is the best option.

Cheers

- sealoo

seth

the mint
is a Tiering Contributor

National Dex Other Tiers Competitive Team Exhibition Tournament League Series I

Runo

I get imposter syndrome from playing mons!!!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Team Tour Dedicated To Tiers That Don't Get A Lot Of Representation Premier League Snake Draft 2023 hosted by R8 because Bella said so
(also known as TTDTTTDGAORPLSD2023HBR8BBSS)

This pristine beauty of a name was thought up by the greatest scientists #insidescoop has to offer and I wholeheartedly believe that this is the only good name we can give a magnificent tour such as this.

As for the formats:
Despite being heavily involved in both UU and RU, I don't really think this tour was meant for them when people asked for "NDOTPL", same for DOU, Ubers, and Mono. The advocates for this team tour really wanted this to be NDOM/UM focused and as we should have the slots reflect that.

6/8 slot plan:
8 slots preferred imo, but I also would not like for some of these slots/teams to just flop due to lack of signups
National Dex AAA
National Dex BH
National Dex STABmons
National Dex LC
National Dex Godly Gift
National Dex NFE
-------------------
National Dex Convergence
National Dex Mix and Mega*

Mix and Mega has technical issues that forces it to play by gentlemen's agreements, which can be a turn off in a team tour.

Honestly was it ever gonna be anything else than this? Volt-Turn Mayhem and Shared Power are just unpopular NatDex metas and are not very developed when compared to the other tiers. Unless advocates for this tier can say otherwise, I see no reason to include them to be honest.

about15guys

enchanted love
is a Pre-Contributor
The tour name would make more sense if it was called National Dex League of Extraordinary Gentleman (NDLXG). It has leagues, it includes extraordinary metagames and most of the people involved are gentlemen.

As for the formats included, 8 of the following should work:
AAA, BH, STAB, GG, NFE, LC, Convergence, Mix and Mega

If we're going 6:
AAA, BH, STAB, GG, NFE, Convergence.

I would be happy with LC > Convergence since LC has broader mainstream appeal, but Convergence is a relatively more developed metagame - it was only until recently that the whole "NDLC is dead" thing died down. I am aware that excluding MnM is a controversial choice since it's more popular atm than ND STAB and ND GG, but gentle manning in PL or any other quarter-serious team tour is a recipe for disaster. For context, there have been numerous games where people brought banned stones or Pokemon (admittedly, I almost brought pidgeotite gengar until I doubled checked the thread), and my game vs About15guys had a bug with Necrozma-Dusk Mane.

If the code is fixed within the month or so till launch, then I'm fine with MnM > LC and Conv.

I think it would be easier on most people with an 8-man tour but with both ND and OM gearing up for tour season, I'll leave that up to the discretion of cooler heads.
I'm fine w/ dropping mnm too, it's a really fun metagame and I'm very glad I was able to participate in the tournament, damn shame I had to leave it in semis for school reasons but it's definitely a little annoying to build in. I'm also very happy to see some GG representation as it's one of my all time favorite ots to build in and play as I just feel it has so much undiscovered stuff in it

for 6 slots id go with
LC (popular tier + ppl like it)
AAA (same as above)
STABmons (fun om, I like it)
GG (i like it)
CONV (cool om, people who build it are gigabrained)
BH (its fun)

if we have 8 I'd add MnM because it is still really fun to play w/ some crazy cool and unique sets and also NFE, I haven't experience nfe too much, especially nd nfe but I like it a lot more than stored power or voltturn

R8

National Dex Leader
Hello, the format for the tournament is most likely going to be announced tomorrow or Monday, so I wanted to make a quick recap:

Screenshot 2023-09-09 at 05.22.59.png
When ordering the current votes, you get:
LC > AAA > STAB > Mono = Ubers = MnM = BH > NFE > GG = Doubles > UU = RU > Convergence > Shared Power > Volt-Turn Mayhem

In my opinion, these tiers should def be in the tournament:
LC
STAB
AAA
NFE
GG
BH

If we go for 8 slots, I believe the two last slots should be chosen among Ubers, MnM and Convergence.
They aren't as important fits as the rest in my opinion, because Ubers already in NDPL and was part of Grand Slam, MnM has technical issues, and Convergence does not seem to have as much interest as the rest. I don't think Mono and Doubles should be considered for this tournament, since they get more tournament activity than Ubers, and it would kinda defeat the point of this tournament.

Any additional thoughts about this?

R8

National Dex Leader
Good morning, here are the tiers that will be featured in the NDOTSL:

LC
STAB
AAA
NFE
GG
BH

The following two tiers will also be included if they get enough signups:

MnM
Convergence

Expect managers signups soon! :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)