Project National Dex Monotype Teambuilding Workshop

op stolen from RoyalReloaded
approved by National Dex Monotype Forum Mods
art TBD

National Dex Monotype Teambuilding Workshop

- Have a one paragraph description with the core / Pokémon you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be.
- Do not post asking us to make use of unviable Pokémon (a.k.a. not on the National Dex Monotype Viability Rankings). This is not a competition to see how good we are at teambuilding; this is us trying to educate people on what is good and how to build effective teams.
- Do not flame people for asking for a certain Pokémon or that they can't build one themselves.
- Each user is allowed one request per week and any user found requesting multiple will have their post deleted
- Please remember that these teams are first drafts and as such will not be perfect. Edit them as you please.
- On that note, you are free (and highly encouraged) to suggest and post changes / critiques you've made to already posted teams that you feel improve them.
- Please refrain from posting teams unless you are an "employee," but if you feel that you would be a valuable asset to the construction of a certain team, PM me.
- Do note that requests for teams built around mons that are below C rank (and unranked) are not allowed as they are generally less viable mons in the tier (C rank is still allowed)

1. Be knowledgeable regarding the National Dex Monotype tier and the current metagame
2. Provide evidence demonstrating your skills as a builder (RMT Team Showcase, examples of successful teams, etc.)
3. ~A paragraph in length describing how you build / what playstyle you are best at building (offense, stall, or balance, to be precise)
You must clearly demonstrate to the hosts that you deserve consideration as a builder. If you do not provide enough useful information to successfully enable us to judge your suitability for the position, your application will be declined.

Note: If you wish to become a member of the Workshop staff, please send the hosts a forum (or Discord @ crossheart_fgc) PM containing an application that follows the format below. Bear in mind that demand for builders will fluctuate based on the volume of requests and the activity level of the Workshop's current staff.

You're also welcome to include exact sets that you would want.

Announcements:
  • The Workshop does not accept requests including Pokémon undergoing suspect testing.

All completed requests and delivered teams will be removed from this thread and archived below:
Request by mushamu - Rainless Water with Adaptability Z Basculegion
:Basculegion::Swampert::Toxapex::Rotom-Wash::Keldeo::Greninja:

Request by KumaB - Bug featuring Lokix and Slither Wing focusing on momentum
:lokix::slither-wing::volcarona::araquanid::kleavor::scizor-mega:

Request by ShuckleNamedJack - Balance/HO Poison with Nihilego
:Venusaur-Mega::Toxapex::Crobat::Okidogi::Muk-Alola::Nihilego:

Request by TheKingsLeap - Poison featuring Okidogi
:Venusaur-Mega::Toxapex::Crobat::Okidogi::Muk-Alola::Nidoking:

Last edited by a moderator:

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
yo, can i have a grass team featuring these two
:sv/venusaur-mega::venusaurite:
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire
- Leech Seed

:sv/whimsicott::pixie-plate:/:heavy-duty-boots:
Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate / Heavy Duty-Boots
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore
- Tailwind / Stun Spore
(you may choose the options for whim)

style.css

is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Can I have a rainless Water team around Z-move Basculegion with Adaptability? Thanks! Either male or female works.
You might have almost killed me trying to figure this one out but I'm pretty happy with what I came up with. Shoutouts to bruised, ComputerWhiz, CrossHeart, Sunnyboi0, Neko for helping me out here.

:Basculegion::Swampert::Toxapex::Rotom-Wash::Keldeo::Greninja:

Starting off with the requested Pokemon I went back and forth on Male and Female but ended up liking the spicy tech of Z Spite. Because Basculegion's best attack has recoil, I thought that as an alternative to nuking with Z Phantom Force, Z Spite could be used to heal back to 100% and continue Wave Crashing. I also found this to be a nice way to break the bulkier cores that Basculegion can't get through with raw damage by cutting their recovery down by half with Spite. This was great for things like Mega Venusuar, Toxapex, etc.

Since I know you like a balanced playstyle we first put together the defensive core with Swampert, Toxapex and Rotom-Wash. I personally prefer Swampert over the other immunity options solely for Flip Turn which gives more opportunities to bring in Basculegion. Toxapex is Toxapex which does Toxapex things. The other slightly abnormal core choice was Rotom; originally it was Mantine but this made the team too slow and passive. Rotom filled the role of hazard control and Ground immunity while providing more momentum.

The other two offensive sets are Keldeo and Greninja. They are both standard sets but the classics are classic for a reason. Keldeo is super slept on compared to Urshifu and Scarf Greninja is still great.

Since I know you are a great builder as well, it'd be cool to hear what you think after you get some games in and see what might need more adjustment. Anyway, hope you like it and good luck!

TTK

Webtoon Character
is a Community Contributor
I would like to receive a bug team featuring lokix and slither wing that has a gameplay based around pivoting. i really like these two new bug type mons and i would like to see their skills and abilities shine on a team!

Slither Wing
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Bug

Lokix
Ability: Swarm
Tera Type: Bug
Hi KumaB! I managed to complete the Bug team you requested with the offensive core of Lokix and Slither Wing. Hope it's to your liking.

:lokix::slither-wing::volcarona::araquanid::kleavor::scizor-mega: (click on the sprites for team)

Slither Wing isn't the common pokemon on NDM bug but seeing how Buzzwole has been relegated to the minor leagues since its scarf set has a lot of competition with Kleavor, Slither can fulfil that Bug/Fighting niche with its unique set of attributes, the one you pointed out specifically, U-turn. With pivoting in mind and a suggestion from style.css, I made the Slither Wing Choice Band. Its First Impression hits very hard off of 135 Atk and has good coverage in Flare Blitz to threaten Steel teams. I did not save the replay but thanks to Slither Wing, the Steel matchup was easy sailing. Lokix has gotten some love in this format, again nothing too special but has Tinted Lens so there's never really any hard counters to it in a game and even the mons that take like zero from it (bulky waters like Dondozo, mons like Corviknight), Lokix can just U-turn and bring in Volcarona or Slither Wing.

:volcarona: is basically mandatory on any serious bug team, :araquanid: is very helpful in the Fire and Water mus and I decided to make it Water Z-move because it can 1v1 Celesteela. :kleavor: provides hazard support in Stone Axe since you don't really have the space to run setters like Forretress (which aren't that good atm). Lastly, :scizor-mega: is helpful in the Poison matchup and I'm running Dual Wingbeat since it can 1v1 and stall Toxapex and is able to 2HKO it at +2. :scizor-mega: also offers the Flying and Rock neutrality and threatens the latter so it's a good mon to run on the type.

I have the one replay that I ended up saving in testing (high elo player). This replay showed off the strength of all the team members, particularly Slither Wing since it's a fighting type playing into normal.

Hi KumaB! I managed to complete the Bug team you requested with the offensive core of Lokix and Slither Wing. Hope it's to your liking.

:lokix::slither-wing::volcarona::araquanid::kleavor::scizor-mega: (click on the sprites for team)

Slither Wing isn't the common pokemon on NDM bug but seeing how Buzzwole has been relegated to the minor leagues since its scarf set has a lot of competition with Kleavor, Slither can fulfil that Bug/Fighting niche with its unique set of attributes, the one you pointed out specifically, U-turn. With pivoting in mind and a suggestion from style.css, I made the Slither Wing Choice Band. Its First Impression hits very hard off of 135 Atk and has good coverage in Flare Blitz to threaten Steel teams. I did not save the replay but thanks to Slither Wing, the Steel matchup was easy sailing. Lokix has gotten some love in this format, again nothing too special but has Tinted Lens so there's never really any hard counters to it in a game and even the mons that take like zero from it (bulky waters like Dondozo, mons like Corviknight), Lokix can just U-turn and bring in Volcarona or Slither Wing.

:volcarona: is basically mandatory on any serious bug team, :araquanid: is very helpful in the Fire and Water mus and I decided to make it Water Z-move because it can 1v1 Celesteela. :kleavor: provides hazard support in Stone Axe since you don't really have the space to run setters like Forretress (which aren't that good atm). Lastly, :scizor-mega: is helpful in the Poison matchup and I'm running Dual Wingbeat since it can 1v1 and stall Toxapex and is able to 2HKO it at +2. :scizor-mega: also offers the Flying and Rock neutrality and threatens the latter so it's a good mon to run on the type.

I have the one replay that I ended up saving in testing (high elo player). This replay showed off the strength of all the team members, particularly Slither Wing since it's a fighting type playing into normal.
This is incredible and i cant wait to grind with it! Thanks so much!

Sunnyboi0

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor
Kinda new here, but could I get some help with a Nihilego mono poison balance/hyper offense team? I want to try something new. Thank you!
Alright, after some testing and whatnot, here's what I got. https://pokepast.es/ed1c946e8ed81c51
So nihilego, people know about already on mono poison. Back in gen 7, people would run it with a scarf (potential cleaner vs certain types such as fire, flying, potentially water based on the moves it has). In gen 8, it got meteor beam, allowing it to run a sweeper set that could win vs flying, water potentially if set up correctly (note the evs are such that the beast boost gives it a plus 1 speed and the meteor beam is already giving it a special attack boost). You can run either set, they're both the standard that nihilego runs on poison. It's a cool mon. (other considerations might be like dazzling gleam since this team's matchup vs something like kommo-o is a bit annoying. Also note if you're running scarf, change the ev spread to max special attack, max speed, timid, and use moves like tbolt, hp ice, power gem, grass knot/sludge wave/stealth rock/dazzling gleam)

To make this more balance rather than the traditional semi stall you usually see, rather than running say galar slowking or clodsire, I decided to include okidogi on this team. Aside the staples in mega venu, toxapex, a ground immunity, and alolan muk, okidogi is quite an interesting addition to poison. I found that this cool sub bulk up set could annoy certain types. The ev spread makes it so that scalds from such bulky waters as pex, slowbro do not break its sub (in the case of slowbro, it only has a 12.5% chance to actually break it in one hit). The sub also doesn't break from porygon 2's bolt beam combo (unless it has a special attack boost from download). Defensive gholdengo with hex can't break the sub either. The hp investment itself then allows for scenarios such as having a good chance to live banded victini's v create (25% to OHKO), and at plus 1 phys def, celesteela's heavy slam usually doesn't break sub (6.3% chance only). Guard dog to prevent whirlwind from stuff like skarm (can help you wincon vs steel potentially) and an added bonus in getting plus 1 from intimidate (helps in the normal mu where defensive staraptor might try and slow you down with intimidate only for that to fail).

Aside that, you got your classics in the other mons (Mega venu outspeeds adamant azu and is the water switchin usually. Toxapex max phys def, icium z for z haze to bypass taunt give it a full hp recovery while acting like haze. Muk has spdef bulk with av as the psychic check but with enough attack to break sub roost kyurem sub, could run rock slide instead of shadow sneak for volcarona, or drain punch for recovery, up to you. Crobat with enough speed to outpace meowscarada without a scarf and therefore outspeeding gren, torn t, base alakazam, cinderace, but most importantly mega gallade, toxic with infiltrator ruins sub plot hydrei and sub roost kyurem in pinch).

There's a lot going on here and if anything it turned out to be me selling okidogi more than nihilego but I hope you have fun with the team.

Last edited:

Sunnyboi0

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor
Can I have a balance mono-poison team with any of the loyal three and preferably Okidogi
https://pokepast.es/4937a4b92a08b6e3 So here we have this. As seen earlier I already did make a poison team with a balance aspect and with okidogi in fact (you can have a look at that post above to see how the other mons function and what they do for the team, this includes the rundown on okidogi). The only change I made was putting rock slide on muk instead of shadow sneak and I recommend this since the volcarona matchup is shaky without this move.

This time, I decided to use nidoking instead of nihilego. One, it's a strong breaker. That move combo can threaten steel teams, flying teams and a bunch more. Quite hard to switch into for a bunch of mons in the tier. Good stab in earth power, alongside bolt beam coverage. Two, it has unique defensive utility courtesy of that ground typing. Which allows it to block electric moves (so you could potentially block volt switch and then use that as an opportunity to throw out some attacks). Here I put stealth rock as the final option since nidoking is good at forcing switches so you use that opportunity to set up rocks for long term pressure. If you want additional coverage instead, flamethrower is a good alternative over stealth rock.

Hope you enjoy the team.

style.css

is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
yo, can i have a grass team featuring these two
:sv/venusaur-mega::venusaurite:
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire
- Leech Seed

:sv/whimsicott::pixie-plate:/:heavy-duty-boots:
Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate / Heavy Duty-Boots
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore
- Tailwind / Stun Spore
(you may choose the options for whim)
Both samples feature Mega Venusaur and Whimsicott. Venusaur is S and Whimsicott is A on the VR so they are likely to be used on most Grass teams. If you have a new request that uses something else that isn't quite as standard let us know.

:Rillaboom::Ferrothorn::Cradily::Venusaur-Mega::Meowscarada::Whimsicott:
Standard Balance by DimLug

:ferrothorn::venusaur-mega::whimsicott::meowscarada::breloom::celebi:
Z-Celebi Balance by DimLug

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
Both samples feature Mega Venusaur and Whimsicott. Venusaur is S and Whimsicott is A on the VR so they are likely to be used on most Grass teams. If you have a new request that uses something else that isn't quite as standard let us know.

:Rillaboom::Ferrothorn::Cradily::Venusaur-Mega::Meowscarada::Whimsicott:
Standard Balance by DimLug

:ferrothorn::venusaur-mega::whimsicott::meowscarada::breloom::celebi:
Z-Celebi Balance by DimLug
ok then
:sv/garchomp-mega::sv/sandy-shocks:
i'll ask for these to be built on a ground team

TTK

Webtoon Character
is a Community Contributor
ok then
:sv/garchomp-mega::sv/sandy-shocks:
i'll ask for these to be built on a ground team
Hi LOrd Fernado I got the team here! https://pokepast.es/bd9d415b701d7542

I decided to go the sand route because I think sand ground is its best playstyle and mega chomp fits perfectly thanks to Sand Force boosting its already high damage output. The rest is compulsory members in Excadrill, Hippowdon and water immunity in Clodsire. Bloodmoon Ursaluna is also here because tbh it's broken and I can rely on it breaking on the special side vs Sandy Shocks which is more revenge killing. Sandy Shocks was probably the weird one to figure out. I wanted to try some tech in Z-Gravity, which boosts its special attack by 1 and supports the team making sure no pokemon is immune to Earthquake but in practice, it just didn't work out and Sandy Shocks felt useless most of the time. The best way I found to alleviate this issue was Choice Scarf. Its speed tier is frankly middling in the face of all the fast mons going around and being able to have more opportunity come in greatly helped Sandy Shocks. It's a decent pick on Ground, but not one I personally would run often. Regardless, the team is sound in my opinion and it could even beat grass with some good play, as demonstrated here (https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...-1992364845-zgo9g5mt4pqmw0wqbb1dd66mnxe9amdpw). Hopefully you like the team

Hi LOrd Fernado I got the team here! https://pokepast.es/bd9d415b701d7542

I decided to go the sand route because I think sand ground is its best playstyle and mega chomp fits perfectly thanks to Sand Force boosting its already high damage output. The rest is compulsory members in Excadrill, Hippowdon and water immunity in Clodsire. Bloodmoon Ursaluna is also here because tbh it's broken and I can rely on it breaking on the special side vs Sandy Shocks which is more revenge killing. Sandy Shocks was probably the weird one to figure out. I wanted to try some tech in Z-Gravity, which boosts its special attack by 1 and supports the team making sure no pokemon is immune to Earthquake but in practice, it just didn't work out and Sandy Shocks felt useless most of the time. The best way I found to alleviate this issue was Choice Scarf. Its speed tier is frankly middling in the face of all the fast mons going around and being able to have more opportunity come in greatly helped Sandy Shocks. It's a decent pick on Ground, but not one I personally would run often. Regardless, the team is sound in my opinion and it could even beat grass with some good play, as demonstrated here (https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...-1992364845-zgo9g5mt4pqmw0wqbb1dd66mnxe9amdpw). Hopefully you like the team
Unfortunately , this is not a proper replay :(

I would like a Psychic team, centered around a Jirachi with Thunder Wave, Confuse Ray, and Iron Head for flinching, please. (Though, if you think it'd work better on a Steel team, that'd be fine too.)

Last edited:
Can I request a Hyper Offense Normal Team using these two lovelies:
1701995177883.png

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

1701995071787.png

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Fire Punch
- Quick Attack

Im not sure if Ursaluna is more viable cause of its speed, so I just picked Diggersby for the Bunny Core Motif (you can switch it out if the bear is better)
I mainly just want a Normal Team to help me ladder with Mega Loppuny as the Center/Focus of the team
Not a strict rule but a fun challenge for those who want to do it. Try building it w/ no Legends.
(Def not inspired by Larry~)

Last edited:
Was wondering if anyone could build a mono water team based around Jellicent. i'm not that good with competitive teambuilding but i'd love to play some monotype with a water team

Last edited:

style.css

I would like a Psychic team, centered around a Jirachi with Thunder Wave, Confuse Ray, and Iron Head for flinching, please. (Though, if you think it'd work better on a Steel team, that'd be fine too.)
Can I request a Hyper Offense Normal Team using these two lovelies:
View attachment 577501
Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

View attachment 577500
Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Fire Punch
- Quick Attack

Im not sure if Ursaluna is more viable cause of its speed, so I just picked Diggersby for the Bunny Core Motif (you can switch it out if the bear is better)
I mainly just want a Normal Team to help me ladder with Mega Loppuny as the Center/Focus of the team
Not a strict but a fun challenge for those who want to do it. Try building it w/ no Legends.
(Def not inspired by Larry~)
Was wondering if anyone could build a mono water team based around Jellicent and Omastar, i'm not that good with competitive teambuilding but i'd love to play some monotype with a water team
Could I have a fire team based around Infernape? The set doesn’t matter tbh. Thank you!
Sorry for not responding sooner everyone. People should be taking these jobs soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)