Resource National Dex Monotype OM Mega Thread

Bka Onon

I see Fire.
is a Pre-Contributor
Art Pending
(OP Stolen from Monotype OM Megathread)

Welcome to the National Dex Monotype OM Mega-thread, a project to support and develop resources for the various Mono OMs!

"NatDex Mono OMs" are sub-metagames formed by combining National Dex Monotype, and it's restrictions, with those of other formats. They are fun to build teams for, interesting to battle with, and entertaining to spectate. Most importantly, NatDex Mono OMs are a refreshing respite from the standard National Dex Monotype metagame. Because they are merely fragments of existing metagames, there are no ladders or official rankings/resources for NatDex Mono OMs, so matches are limited to personal challenges and room tournaments.

This project serves to support and cultivate these sub-formats by providing helpful resources, a platform for discussion, and a source of structure for NatDex Mono OMs and their player base!

The NatDex Mono OMs this project currently supports include:

:necrozma-dusk-mane: Ubers :necrozma-dusk-mane:
:altaria-mega: Threat :altaria-mega:
:Glimmet: LC :Glimmet:

Bka Onon

I see Fire.
is a Pre-Contributor
(Art Maybe?)
NATIONAL DEX MONOTYPE UBERS

What is National Dex Monotype Ubers?
NDM Ubers is an OM focusing on allowing pokemon from the National Dex Ubers format to be used in a Monotype setting. This also allows for usage of Pokemon banned from base National Dex Monotype, letting free terrors such as Kartana, Naganadel and Annihilape. This OM increases the already vast possibilites for National Dex Monotype and allows for ideas such as Primal Groudon + Zygarde-100% Ground and Xerneas + Mega Mawile Fairy!

General Rules, Mechanics, and Usage Tips
- Most Pokemon tagged Ubers in the National Dex tiers are allowed bar some
- All Non-Ubers banned from National Dex Monotype are allowed
- Dynamax is banned
- Building is usually based around expanding and upgrading what's allowed in base NatDex Monotype, for example: using Mega Mewtwo X instead of Mega Gallade and using Kyogre over Pelipper. This isn't to mean entirely new structures don't exist since base NDM doesn't have options like Primal Groudon, Deoxys-Attack, etc.

Bans
:Bright Powder:
:Focus Band:
:King
:Lax Incense:
Terastallisation
:glalie: Moody :scovillain:
:Calyrex-Shadow:
:Koraidon:
:marshadow:
:miraidon:
:necrozma-ultra:
:Rayquaza-Mega:
:Xerneas:
:zacian-crowned:
Unbans
:zacian:
:shedinja:
Council
:Palkia-Origin: TTK (Leader)
:celebi: ASKid679
:Flutter Mane: bruised
:Pheromosa: FadedCharm
:charizard-mega-x: Sunnyboi0

Samples
Reserved

Threatlist and Considerations
Reserved

Notable Additions
Reserved​

Bka Onon

I see Fire.
is a Pre-Contributor
(More Art Maybe Omg?)
NATIONAL DEX MONOTHREAT

What is National Dex Monothreat?
Monothreat is a Monotype OM whereby all teams are the same type, this type will be announced beforehand to give you time to build teams with tactics in mind to counter their own typing. National Dex Monothreat is the National Dex version of this, where all pokemon in base NatDex Monotype are allowed.

- All base rules of National Dex Monotype
- Since every team is the same type, Monothreat gives underrated Pokemon in normal NDM a chance to shine, examples include Lanturn, Barbaracle and Tinkaton
- For Room Tours: Because Monothreat is very prep heavy, scouting is turned OFF. This helps even the playing field by not exposing surprise sets/teammates since most people don't have more than 1 team per type.

Notable Pokemon Per Type
Reserved​

TTK

Webtoon Character
is a Community Contributor
Posting for National Dex Ubers, got into it recently. Is a fun meta for sure. I wanna share some of the teams I have built and my thoughts on the options for each type I've used. I'll start from alphabetical order.

Dark
:arceus::sableye-mega::ting-lu::yveltal::chien-pao::chi-yu:

Dark has some cool ubers at its disposal. Two of the ruined treasures, everyone's favourite Blissey killing goldfish and an endangered snow leopard, can't go wrong with them. We also have Yveltal, one of the most versatile pokemon in the entire format. Ting-Lu + Mega Sableye is also solid defensively and if you have an Arceus at your disposal, freaking use it.

I'll do this for every type and share my thoughts on most options that are usable.

S Rank (The Best)
:yveltal: - Dark's cornerpiece in my opinion. Extremely adaptable when it comes to what sort of teamstyle you want to go for whether that's balance or more offensive builds.

A Rank (Solid mons)
:arceus: - I don't want to explain every Arceus but there will be no Arceus that's bad on any type.
:chien-pao: - Fast and hits incredibly hard.
:chi-yu: - Blissey killing goldfish goes hard too.
:kingambit: - Unsure about this one, I've seen some use it but by virtue of its ability, defensive typing and access to Knock, Kingambit should be solid.
:roaring-moon: - Dangerous sweeper for offence with Booster Energy. I wonder how good the trapping set is in this format.
:sableye-mega: - Dark's premier defensive mon, offers fighting immunity and good bulk all-around.
:ting-lu: - Bulky mon #2 which has hazards.
:urshifu: - Disgusting wallbreaker which has SD to hit even harder. Who would've thought Urshifu would be good.

B Rank (Good/Decent picks)
:darkrai: - Dark Void nerfs still doesn't change the fact that it has Nasty Plot and a good speed tier.
:greninja: - No ash gren but Protean is always good.
:grimmsnarl: - Enables Dark HO to function pretty much.
:meowscarada: - Very similar situation to Greninja. Scarf is solid for revenge killing Dragon. Helps in the Water matchup. Definitely the best mon in B.
:moltres-galar: - Also another Dark offence mon that can do well.
:muk-alola: - Fairy matchup, enough said.

C Rank (niche)
:hoopa-unbound: - Compulsory Ubers by default placement. I don't think Hoopa is all that good, too slow and too frail.

D Rank (Do not Use)
Everything else

Dragon
:eternatus::koraidon::miraidon::arceus::zygarde-complete::roaring-moon:

Dragon is incredibly stacked in NDM Ubers and it's possibly the best type in the format. Powerhouses in Miraidon, Koraidon, Zygarde-C, Eternatus. Some other Dragons that are strong in their own right with Mega Mence, Palkia-O, Eternatus, Arceus and Roaring Moon. Simple offensive Dragon team here with straight powerhouses. Pretty easy to pilot too.

S Rank (Better than everything else)
:eternatus: - 130 Speed, neutrality to Fairy, good defensive stats.
:koraidon: - Great speed tier, hits incredibly hard. Easier to wall than Miraidon but still they're practically almost the same level.
:miraidon: - No brainer it's freaking Miraidon.
:zygarde-complete: - Way too bulky for its own good, variety of sets.

A Rank (Solid mons)
:arceus: - Best support mon for Dragon. Also variety of sets it can pull off is good.
:salamence-mega: - Its speed tier is no longer as valuable as it once was but still a devastating sweeper with DD and Flying is just strong offensively.
:roaring-moon: - Synergises well with Koraidon. Even without it, DD booster energy goes particularly hard.

:cyclizar: - Shed Tail is actually decent. I personally don't think it's necessary but Shed Tailing into these beasts is crazy.
:dialga: - Dragon neutrality is always useful and defensive typing is generally solid for the Fairy mu.
:dragapult: - Mainly being faster than everything and still threatening in the mirror after 1 DD.
:giratina: / :giratina-origin: - Admittedly haven't used these but they can't be too bad on paper.
:palkia-origin: - Lack of an item slot realistically is kinda annoying but the higher speed and still relative power it possesses, I can't put it lower than B.
:rayquaza: - U-turn is cool.

C Rank (niche)
:altaria-mega: - Could be B rank potentially since Fairy is generally good for dealing with Dark and this mon is also useful in the Dragon mirror.
:dialga-origin: - Ranking this purely because it's ubers by default. Normal Dialga is superior don't use this.
:dracovish: - Also ubers by default. I can justify on Water but Dragon, no reason at all to run this.
:kyurem-black: / :kyurem-white: - White is typically better but I just feel like these guys are simply outclassed in anything they want to do by the higher ranked mons.
:naganadel: - Way too frail, Eternatus exists.
:palkia: - Though this one can run an item unlike Origin, is anything Palkia can do better than anything above it. Scarf is way too slow and if its not scarf, then just use Palkia-O or like... Miraidon?
:reshiram: - As an ubers player, Reshiram hasn't been good like ever. Same thing applies here. If you want Fire coverage, use the pseudo fire type Koraidon.
:walking-wake: - Also hard to justify this one but at least it has Booster Energy so it's definitely better than Palkia but that's not saying much.
:zekrom: - I like Zekrom really but there's a new Dragon/Electric in town.

D rank (Do not realistically use)
:zygarde: - Troll if you wish, Aura Break do be cancelling Yveltal's Dark Aura.
Everything else.

Electric
:arceus::regieleki::zekrom::tapu-koko::rotom-wash::zapdos:

Electric doesn't have much Ubers so you could relatively run this like standard NDM but you want to include an Arceus somewhere and probably Zekrom somewhere. Koko should be here and so should Rotom and I feel like Zapdos could be something else but it's a first starter team.

S Rank (The Best)
:arceus: - Basic Arceus S rank placement.
:miraidon: - Forgot Miraidon LMAO doesn't really need explaining?
:tapu-koko: - I feel like Electric wants Terrain somewhere. Can activate Iron Hands Quark Drive if you use that and also just makes your electric mons stronger.

A Rank (Solid Mons)
:iron-hands: - Its bulk is much appreciated.
:raichu-alola: - Solid wincon option with Surge Surfer.
:regieleki: - Fastest mon in the game, no ground type? Just die to Rising Voltage then.
:rotom-wash: - If you don't want to get 6-0d by Water (Water Spout probably still 2hkos this anyway), you want to go Rotom-Wash. Ground immunity too.
:zekrom: - No reason not to use Zekrom in ubers Electric. Unlike on Dragon where the competition is putting Zekrom 6 feet under, it can relax and just go DD and kill everything on electric teams.

B Rank (Good/Decent mons)
:zapdos: - Offensive or defensive I feel function well.
:zeraora: - Fast asf, Bulk Up should be good and can utilise Z moves well.

C Rank (Hard to argue anything else to use on electric but heres' my two cents.)
:manectric-mega: - I guess if you want a mega evolution, Mane is here.
:golem-alola: / :iron-thorns: - Your hazard guys.

Fighting
:arceus::koraidon::annihilape::lucario-mega::urshifu::great-tusk:

Fighting definitely one of my favourites rn. Just plain strong asf mons to use and a good selection of ubers to choose from. Koraidon, Urshifu, Mega Blaze, Mega Lucario.

S Rank (The Best)
:koraidon: - Doesn't matter what type it is, Koraidon is that guy and fortunately in Fighting, it is definitely the best mon on the type.

A Rank (Solid Mons)
:annihilape: - Taunt Bulk Up Rage Fist is an auto win set vs bulky teams.
:arceus:
:great-tusk: - Great addition to the type. Hazards and hazard removal and versatile too.
:lucario-mega: - Best Mega on the format (megas aren't a necessity on teams) but Lucario is fast enough to make an impact and assists in the Fairy matchup.
:urshifu: - Same as I said for Dark basically.

B Rank (Good/Decent options)
:blaziken-mega: - Tough to argue this one over mega luc but definitely still a strong mon overall and depending on the comp, you can definitely run this over mega luc, just needs more support to be successful.
:iron-valiant: - Booster Energy should be alright. Still the tier's only good special attacker too.
:kommo-o: - This will require more testing but it still has its Z move, which is usually one of Fighting's best wincons. It's just more power crept when the average speed tier skyrockets and there's more consistent wincons on the type.
:zamazenta: - This one has an item slot and it's fast.

C Rank (niche)
:iron-hands: - I don't think Iron Hands is too necessary honestly, if you want a bulky fighting type, Arceus is there for that role.
:pheromosa: - Hard to justify a slot for this one, no defensive utility at all and there's superior options if you want a fast pivot.
:zamazenta-crowned: - The nerf to its ability hits this one a lot harder than its Hero forme. It's bulky don't get me wrong but like I still wouldn't use it all that much.

D Rank (Do not use)
:blaziken: - Just got banned and you know, mega exists.
:medicham-mega: - Better megas.
Everything else.

Fire
:ho-oh::blaziken-mega::arceus::chi-yu::torkoal::cinderace:

Shame you cannot utilise the beast that is Primal Groudon but you got Ho-oh, one of the best defensive mons despite its crippling rocks weakness and strong breakers if you're able to get sun up. Mega Blaziken is also a solid wincon with SD Speed Boost and specs Chi-yu is the Blissey killer.

S Rank (The Best)
:ho-oh: - Definitely a necessary component of any Fire team. Regen + bulk + offensive potential makes it the best option.

A Rank (Solid mons)
:arceus: - I have a bit more to say regarding Arceus on fire. It can't really pull off a defensive set as well as other formes due to its rocks weakness but offensive sets are strong with Z move potential in sun.
:blaziken-mega: - Best mega and a strong wincon.
:chi-yu: - Also another strong breaker.
:cinderace: - I think if you want to maintain hazard control, Cinderace is one of the best options for that and Libero is a good ability.
:ninetales: / :torkoal: - Drought mons. Kinda need one of them.

:charizard-mega-y: / :charizard-mega-x: - X can be a threatening sweeper while Y can make you team compress to force you not to slot the other Drought mons but obviously, hazard removal has to be good.
:reshiram: - Way better on Fire than Dragon but still nothing crazy, its biggest issue will always be its speed.
:victini: - Banded V-create goes crazy.
:volcanion: - Water immunity + another removal option
:volcarona: - I think bulky volc is better in this format and is still decent.

C Rank (niche)
:blaziken: - Could definitely make this work if you decide to go Zard Y but yeah, Mega blaze outclasses.
:iron-moth: - Booster Energy + Agility probably is decent but sounds kinda high effort when there's better wincons on the type.

D Rank (Do not use)
Everything else

Ghost
:arceus::houndstone::flutter-mane::dragapult::froslass::annihilape:

With the offensive power that Ghost possesses, how could I not go Froslass suicide lead HO? Flutter Mane and Dragapult are some of the fastest mons in the game and DD Pult is very threatening with a boost. Arceus-Ghost also has good natural bulk and can find situations to set up easily. Shadow Force is also one of the moves of all time and Houndstone Last Respects is still as strong as ever.

S Rank (The Best)
:arceus: - Very strong offensively. Could definitely experiment with a balance Ghost build with Rocks on this.
:flutter-mane: - Giving this thing Booster back is a good idea indeed. Also just hard to switch into.

A Rank (Solid mons)
:dragapult: - Fast and Ghostium-Z DD is still strong here.
:houndstone: - Funny Last Respects button.
:lunala: - Versatile and with Shadow Shield enables it to do a lot.
:spectrier: - No Calyrex-Shadow so Spectrier it is. Improvement of coverage options makes this mon a lot better.

:annihilape: - Annihilape is definitely strong but I don't think it's on the same level as the A ranks.
:froslass: - As a suicide lead, gets the job done.
:giratina: - Purely speculation but I feel like defensive Ghost teams definitely want to use this.
:sableye-mega: - Similar reasoning to Giratina.
:zoroark-hisui: - This mon is only B tier because of the Ghost mirror. Otherwise it's pretty below average.

C Rank (niche)
:gholdengo: - Gholdengo will definitely work on hazard stacking teams to block Defog and Flying will not appreciate that but outside of that, not much else.
:giratina-origin: - There's like zero appeal to using this imo. Its other form has greater bulk and offensively, it's simply outclassed by most other offensive mons. Its niche is mostly being a mixed attacker, which I can't say anything else on Ghost is capable of doing.
:mimikyu: - I feel like I'm reaching with this one but Disguise on HO can definitely save you from something at least once.

D Rank (Do not use)
:necrozma-dawn-wings: - Imagine a Lunala that just doesn't do Lunala things. Doesn't have Shadow Shield and is just slower. Prism Armor is not saving you from Knock Off. Shame really because this mon is still a Necrozma and has the movepool to do things, it's just not worth it.
Everything else

I spent too much time on this.

Last edited:

TTK

Webtoon Character
Alright I'm back with another post regarding National Dex Monotype Ubers seeing how NDMPL has ended today. I would like to say NDMPL was a fun tour and finally got me my first team tour win on the site (no CA making me cry fr though) but this tier needs urgent balancing as soon as possible because as much as I like this OM, the current consensus on it is basically "mickey mouse tier" and there is a very easy solution to this issue. Banning Xerneas.

:xy/xerneas:
Xerneas is probably one of the most braindead pokemon I've used in any singles format I've played in the 9 last years of playing Smogon and the fact that we came into the third iteration of the biggest tour for this format and it wasn't looked at previously is really really baffling to me, with even high ranked NDM people telling me "it should be banned." I'll give the benefit of the doubt, it's the new generation of NDM Ubers and not Gen 8 NDM Ubers that the last 2 PLs were based around however, nothing changed for this mon at all. It still runs the same exact "cheese" set of Z-Geomancy, which isn't really exactly cheese because it's the only set you're ever running on it and it wins every game it's in.

There were 18 games of NDM Ubers played this PL, Fairy was used in 6 out of 18, so 1/3 of the games, Fairy was present. You know how many games Fairy won? All of them. Every single game. Now, I doubt anyone still reading this is actually opposing Xerneas' ban but if you would like to bring up the fact that Fairy had type advantage in 4 out of 6 of them, my w1 game vs hayedenn was basically the best prepped anti-fairy Dragon team you could ask for, I was even winning the mu until broken xerneas came out and z-geo'd. Like if Xerneas wasn't present to just get a free turn, I essentially won that matchup, which is perfectly possible thanks to Dragon utilising Dialga and Eternatus.

Xerneas has this whole format in a chokehold because the best types in the format excluding Fairy (Water, Dragon, Fighting, Psychic) all just lose if it gets off a Z-Geomancy and it's too easy to set up. The only types that aren't folding to Fairy instantly are Ground, because Pdon is on the type (also a contentious mon itself) and Treads to an extent and perhaps Normal Ditto (which saw no usage). The other types simply don't exist and Xerneas is notable contributor to that. There are no positives to keeping this mon in this tier and types like Dark and Fighting would be more consistent to run when they're actually good if Xerneas wasn't present anymore because both types can play around Fairy, especially Fighting. Steel is also Fairy's best answer, but Steel is so risky to load because Pdon 6-0s but that's more Pdon's fault than Xerneas' but compounds the Xerneas issue even more.

Overall, Xerneas should've been banned before this tournament went through, it should be banned right now, and we should see how Primal Groudon goes in this meta because I've been told it should also be banned but my focus was completely on Xerneas. The meta becomes so much more playable when Xerneas is not in the picture, these replays here and here really show that the format can be diverse and Xerneas just gets in the way of that.

TTK

Webtoon Character
With NDMPL well behind us now, thanks to style.css and the National Dex Monotype leadership team giving me the opportunity to be in charge of National Dex Monotype Ubers. We also welcome users bruised and FadedCharm to the council! Both have shown enthusiasm and interest in the format, with the latter playing Ubers in NDMPL. To start off the balancing of the tier under new leadership, we have held a vote on a very controversial pokemon in the format, Xerneas. And without much resistance, Xerneas has been quickbanned by the council by unanimous vote!

:xy/xerneas:
My post above laid out my grievances with Xerneas but this post will be a more formalised discussion. Xerneas again is the strongest pokemon in the format thanks to mainly its Z-Geomancy set winning games on its own. No other pokemon has such an easy setup tool in addition to the support Fairy teams provide with dual screens Klefki and its offensive partners Magearna and Mega Diancie chipping down the few defensive answers like Toxapex. Most of the type board simply cannot handle a Fairy Aura boosted Moonblast at +3 Special Attack, which is why Xerneas can sweep very easily. Xerneas is not only locked into its Z-Geomancy set and can easily take matters into its own hands trying to deal with its checks. Running Thunder can dispatch Toxapex for example. Furthermore, Xerneas is helped out by the fact that the types that resist Fairy: Poison, Fire and Steel, are all types that are weak against Ground, in a tier where Primal Groudon is also one of the strongest pokemon in the format, these types are scarcely seen, as indicated by their usage in NDMPL, leading Xerneas to have a chokehold on the format.

With this ban coming into effect, we can focus our efforts to see whether Primal Groudon is a pokemon that could potentially be problematic, seeing how it stifles the aforementioned types on its own however, it is only usable on Ground teams and is balanced out by Primal Kyogre being around. The Xerneas ban will make Fighting and Dark much more viable to run, Dragon gets even stronger and the general type board don't have to worry about giving Xerneas a free two turns into losing the game.

TTK

Webtoon Character
(Art Maybe?)
NATIONAL DEX MONOTYPE LITTLE CUP

What is National Dex Monotype Little Cup?
National Dex Monotype LC is an OM that only allows use of first-stage evolution Pokemon at level 5. In a natdex format, you are able to currently use first-stage pokemon that aren't available in Generation 9 such as Abra, Ferroseed and Onix. Natdex Monotype LC is able to differentiate itself from Monotype LC thanks to older mechanics no longer present in generation 9 like Berry Juice, the use of Hidden Power and most importantly Z-moves, which allows for quite a dynamic metagame for the majority of types.

- Every Pokemon must be set to level 5.
- Every Pokemon must be at their first stage of evolution and must share the same type.
- Eviolite is the most common item in the metagame, alongside items like Berry Juice, Choice Scarf and Life Orb.
- EVs work differently in LC due to the Pokemon being at level 5. You can use the EV slider in the teambuilder to assign EVs. The guide for LC EVs is here.
- Speed tiers are also very restricted. The fastest unboosted speed in Little Cup reaches 20 speed so you can make your Choice Scarf pokemon reach 14 speed to outspeed the fastest Pokemon.

Bans
All Fully Evolved Pokemon
All Second-stage Evolution Pokemon
Terastallisation
:bidoof: Moody :snorunt:
:eevium-z:
Sonic Boom
Dragon Rage
:aipom:
:basculin-white-striped:
:corsola-galar:
:drifloon:
:dunsparce:
:flittle:
:gastly:
:girafarig:
:gligar:
:meditite:
:misdreavus:
:minccino:
:murkrow:
:porygon:
:qwilfish-hisui:
:rufflet:
:scyther:
:sneasel:
:sneasel-hisui:
:stantler:
:tangela:
:type-null:
:yanma:
Unbans
:diglett: Arena Trap :trapinch:
:gothita: Shadow Tag :wynaut:
:diglett:
:scraggy:
:vulpix-alola:
Council
:tirtouga: TTK
rest TBD

Challenge Code
/chall gen9nationaldexmonotype @@@ Little Cup, adjustlevel=5, -Sonic boom, -Dragon rage, -Sneasel, -Sneasel-hisui, -Scyther, -Tangela, -Type: Null, -Gligar, -Corsola-Galar, -Rufflet, -Aipom, -Meditite, -Yanma, -Woobat, -Murkrow, -Misdreavus, -Girafarig, -Flittle, -Dunsparce, -Porygon, -Eevium Z, -Drifloon, -Basculin-White-Striped, -Gastly, -Qwilfish-Hisui, -Stantler, -Moody, -Minccino, +Arena Trap, +Shadow Tag, +Diglett, +Scraggy, +Vulpix-Alola

Samples
:dwebble::dewpider::larvesta::venipede::anorith::shelmet: Bug Dwebble Hazard Stack Offense
:impidimp::vullaby::scraggy::pawniard::carvanha::stunky: Dark Dual Screens HO
:impidimp::azurill::swirlix::tinkatink::mime-jr::snubbull: Fairy Screens HO
:vulpix::ponyta::growlithe-hisui::magby::larvesta::numel: Fire Firium Z Ponyta Sun Offense
:wattrel::taillow::starly::wingull::archen::vullaby: Flying Choice Band Starly
:diglett::toedscool::wooper-paldea::numel::mudbray::onix: Ground Scarf Diglett + Dragon Dance Onix Ground
:hippopotas::drilbur::wooper-paldea::toedscool::trapinch::diglett-alola: Ground Groundium Z Drilbur Sand
:vulpix-alola::sandshrew-alola::darumaka-galar::cetoddle::swinub::amaura: Ice Z Belly Drum Cetoddle Hail Offense
:abra::ponyta-galar::inkay::natu::slowpoke::bronzor: Psychic Focus Sash Abra + Trick Room Inkay Offense
:pawniard::ferroseed::bronzor::honedge::magnemite::diglett-alola: Steel Swords Dance Pawniard Hazard Stack

Threatlist and Considerations
Pokemon
:swirlix:
Items
:heat-rock:
Moves
Sticky Web​

Elvira

formerly bruised
NATIONAL DEX MONOTYPE NOT FULLY EVOLVED (NFE)

:sv/Thwackey: :sv/Skitty: :sv/Roselia: :sv/Floragato: :sv/Crocalor: :sv/Quaxwell::sv/Staravia::sv/gabite: :sv/pawniard:

Welcome to the newest addition of the national dex monotype families newest OM; National Dex Monotype NFE (Not Fully Evolved). Since this tier is still growing and adapting with every tour that is hosted in the National Dex Monotype room daily we want to build this new Other Meta from the ground up. It has gained quite a lot of attraction recently and is gaining more popularity by the ongoing weeks!

COUNCIL:
:murkrow: bruised
:Vibrava: TTK
:Gloom: boomp611
:Sealeo: sealoo
:Ferroseed: FadedCharm

BANLIST:

POKEMON
:Basculin-White-Striped: Basculin-White-Striped
:Bisharp: Bisharp
:Chansey: Chansey
:Doublade: Doublade
:Gligar: Gligar
:Kadabra: Kadabra
:Haunter: Haunter
:Magneton: Magneton
:Mr. Mime-Galar: Mr. Mime-Galar
:Pikachu: Pikachu
:Porygon2: Porygon2
:Primeape: Primeape
:Ursaring: Ursaring
:Scyther: Scyther
:Sneasel: Sneasel
:Sneasel-Hisui: Sneasel-Hisui
:Type-Null: Type-Null
:Duraludon: Duraludon

Clauses:

• Endless Battle Clause: A player may not intentionally prevent an opponent from being able to end the game without forfeiting.
    • For example, a Slowbro holding a Leppa Berry can create an endless battle using the moves Recycle, Heal Pulse, Slack Off, and Block. To do so, Slowbro traps one of the opponent's Pokemon, PP stalls it, and heals Struggle damage indefinitely using Heal Pulse and Slack Off.
  • Evasion Clause: A Pokemon may not have either Double Team or Minimize in its moveset.
  • OHKO Clause: A Pokemon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold in its moveset.
  • Species Clause: A player may not have two Pokemon with the same National Pokédex number on a team.
    • For example, using a team with two Koffing would break this clause.
    • Using different formes on the same team, such as Rotom-W and Rotom-C, also breaks the clause since they share the same Pokédex number (#479).
  • Terastal Clause: A player may not Terastallize.

TOURNAMENT CODE
/tour create national dex monotype, elimination.
/tour rules Not Fully Evolved, -basculin-white-striped, -bisharp, -chansey, -doublade, -gligar, -kadabra, -haunter, -magneton, -mr. mime-galar,-pikachu, -porygon2, -primeape, -ursaring, -scyther, -sneasel, -sneasel-hisui, -type:null, -duraludon

If you have any questions you can personally dm me or one of the other council if they are active at the time and we will do our best to assist you. In the meantime we will be building this OM from the ground up!

Last edited:
I've been on a building streak for ND Mono NFE since TTK said he wanted to iron out a ban list. I'll give some preliminary thoughts on the typings and banlist, but I don't have any updated teams atm.

Thoughts on the Banlist

:Basculin-White-Striped: :Bisharp: :Chansey: :Haunter: :Magneton: :Mr. Mime-Galar: :Porygon2: :Primeape: :Ursaring: :Scyther: :Type-Null: :Duraludon: :Kadabra:

These Pokemon are far too strong for the NFE power level, and it is unlikely that they would be allowed in any NFE meta outside select OMs and/or severe nerfs. Kadabra and Haunter are the weakest of these, but both still have the speed and power to fold many types singlehandedly.

:Sneasel: :Sneasel-Hisui: :Doublade:

These guys were legal in the initial code by TTK, but I am happy that they are gone.

:Gligar: :Pikachu:

With these two, you could make an arguable case for staying. Pikachu is somewhat overpowered in NFE, but being limited to Electric is a significant enough drawback. Still, Electric does get access to webs and has a pretty respectable core of Pokemon - not to mention that Ebuzz and Pikachu have beautiful synergy - so I can understand this move even if I'm 50/50 on Pika. Gligar is a monumental presence on Flying and Ground, as it helps stave off some terrifying match-ups. This feels like an Aegislash situation in Gen 7 Mono, where, yeah, the mon was pretty absurd, but it did contribute significantly to the defensive integrity of the teams that it was on. Unlike Aegi, tho, Gligar has nowhere near the same game-ending presence.

:dipplin:

This Pokemon is pushing it in regular ND NFE as is, but with the constraints that Nat Dex Mono has, it might warp the metagame to an absurd degree.

My boy is freed :)

Thoughts on Types

With the power level and the comparative lack of 2nd stage evolutions, there are not many options for viable types here. Even though there are more Pokemon numerically than Monotype LC, the average pool of viable Pokemon is significantly lower given that everything is bulkier with Level 100 and Eviolite - and many strong Pokemon here are clear outliers compared to Mono LC. Monotype even nerfs offensive synergy ideas you see in ND NFE. No more Magmar + Electabuzz, Vulpix + Ivysaur, Shell Smash Wartortle + SD Raboot, etc. So you end up with types that lack the tools to be fully realised offensively, defensively or both.

Let's start with a case study of this.

:nymble: :dwebble: :dewpider:

I'm not saying Bug was taking LC by storm, but at least you have Pokemon you could work with. Dwebble, Sizzlipede, Anorith, Nymble, Dewpider, and Joltik provided either type-specific utilities (like webs, nymble's tinted lens first impression, etc.) or a valuable property that helped bug in its weaker MU. Not to mention that Bug did relatively well against Fighting and Dark.

:whirlipede: :yanma: :charjabug:

In the transition to NFE, bug gained... Charjabug. A lot of the other options on Bug are utility guys. Cutifly, Whirlipede and Dottler mainly set up field conditions like hazards or screens. Yanma could work as a late-game cleaner with Hypnosis, but that requires deciding between compound eyes or speed boost. Offensive stuff like Dwebble just doesn't have the same firepower it does in LC. Bug in NFE could use with a Mega Pinsir/Volcarona or NFE Dwebble equivalent that just holds games down. Likewise, it could appreciate something like Armaldo or NFE Dewpider equivalent to have a defensive response vs its weaker matchups.

I'll go through the top 5 types, IMO and give my reasoning.

#1: Water

Notable Pokemon: :frogadier: :marill: :marshtomp: :mareanie: :palpitoad::prinplup: :quaxwell: :wartortle: :clamperl: :chinchou: :slowpoke:

Of course, this type was going to be here somewhere. It's amazing how many naturally strong NFE Pokemon are in this type. Frogadier, Marenie and Wartortle, for example, are all excellent Pokemon in ND NFE in their own right. Bolstering this stacked lineup is Water's flexibility. NFE Mono Water teams have access to sturdy Grass resists like Mareanie, Grass immunity in Marill, and Electric immunities in Marshtomp, Palpitoad and Chinchou. Additionally, Water types themselves are versatile. Wartortle, for instance, can run a defensive pivot set or a lethal Shell Smash set. This allows Mono Water teams to experiment with archetypes ranging from Stall to Balance to HO - something very few types can do.

#2: Grass

Notable Pokemon: :dipplin::dartrix: :roselia: :grotle: :ivysaur: :roselia: :servine: :thwackey: :ferroseed: :lileep: :tangela: :voltorb-Hisui: :snover:

Grass, like Water, has a star-studded cast. It's interesting how similarly NFE Grass plays to its fully evolved counterparts, with Thwackey and Ferroseed being carbon copies of Rillaboom and Ferrothorn. Grass doesn't cover its bases as well as Water does since you can't shake off the weakness to Special Fire and Ice moves. However, I don't think the grass type is pigeonholed into a single team composition, as quite a few types are. You'll probably end up with a standard team of Dipplin / Thwackey / Ferroseed / Roselia and alternate the last two slots based on your preference. However, I can see Dual Screens and Sun pop up as more niche options.

#3: Ground

Notable Pokemon: :gabite: :krokorok: :marshtomp: :palpitoad: :piloswine: :rhydon: :vibrava: :hippopotas: :toedscool: (:diglett: and :trapinch: if arena trap is allowed)

A recurring theme is that the best types in ND NFE have 1) a strong cast of Pokemon and 2) solid defensive synergy. Mono Ground continues the trend with Gabite, Piloswine and Rhydon leading the vanguard. Access to Water immunity and Ice neutrality via Palpitoad is valuable for role compression. Mono Ground also shores up its poorer match-ups thanks to Arena Trap support from Trapinch. Sand builds can be an option, with Hippopotas freeing up the bulky Stealth Rock slot, letting Gabite, Palpitoad and Piloswine run other sets. Drilbur and Sandshrew are optional on such teams.

#4: Poison

Notable Pokemon: :golbat: :qwilfish-hisui: :roselia: :poipole: :mareanie: :gastly: :glimmet: :koffing:

Poison keeps much of what makes it a good fat type in regular NDM. Good Ground and Psychic immunities combined with unrivalled sustain thanks to recovery on many key Pokemon. Although only Glimmet (and Wooper-Paldea) get rocks, many Pokmon get Toxic Spikes, and Qwilfish + Roselia get spikes - allowing team comp flexibility. Two key things knock it down a notch. Firstly, several mono teams (like Water, Grass and Dark) carry Poison types due to the typing being on juggernauts like Mareanie, Roselia and Hisui Qwilfish. This means that brainless T-spiking ideas aren't as straightforward. Secondly, Poison has no Nidoking equivalent, and Haunter is banned, meaning that offensive pressure is hard to generate outside of SD Qwilfish and Gastly. Nevertheless, Mono Poison teams will yield dividends if you work past these limitations through careful team building and play.

#5: Steel

Notable Pokemon: :sliggoo-Hisui: :tinkatuff: :lairon: :metang: :klang: :bronzor: :ferroseed: :honedge: :pawniard: :magnemite:

Before I went into this, I didn't have high hopes for Steel. In regular ND NFE, only a handful of Steels get used, and they clash in roles. But when drafting a team and assembling the type of line-ups, Steel has a pretty solid roster that can cover its bases. Not having Heatran's Fire immunity is rough, but Lairon and Sliggoo help with that (somewhat). Bronzor provides ground immunity, and Honedge provides immunity to Fighting attacks. That's not even mentioning the many fighting neutralities and Ferroseed sitting on the Ground. The biggest draw is how Steel leverages Hazard pressure with ruthless Spikes stack combined with Honedge and Pawniard. Not having a Skarm / Corviknight replacement is a bummer since the hazard control would be on point otherwise.

I'll briefly overview what the other types can do. I think Dragon, Dark and Electric are the most interesting of these types. Most of these types lack solid hazard control, reliable wall-breakers and win conditions, or sloppy defensive synergy. Sometimes it's a combination of all three. The one exception is Dark which could sit at #5 on a good day - I left it in this list since there are very few options available for Dark teams.

Dragon:
Notable Pokemon: :dragonair: :dipplin: :drakloak: :fraxure: :gabite: :hakamo-o: :sliggoo-hisui: :zweilous: :tyrunt:

Locked into a HO build is annoying, but Dragon does have a few good options to enable it. Drakloak can set up screens, Gabite is a nice rocker, and there is a serviceable mix of special and physical offence - with a greater lean on physical offence. You also have pivots into Ice and Fairy in the form of Sliggoo. Not to mention that many Dragon-types are versatile Pokemon in their own right. If push comes to shove, get Gible or Tyrunt to do rocking duties.

Electric:
Notable Pokemon: :charjabug: :eelektrik: :electabuzz: :graveler-alola: :luxio: :chinchou: :voltorb-hisui: :wattrel:

Electric plays 'Follow the Leader'. Electabuzz is by far the best Pokemon in Electric - hands down. A team without Electabuzz is fundamentally unsound. The other team members on Electric should all chip in to help Electabuzz achieve its goal. This includes Sticky Webs and Rocks support, pivoting and physical attacking pressure to complement Electabuzz's special firepower. Even outside of Electabuzz, Electric still has some tools to deal with most team compositions with a solid stealth rocker and decent physical pressure from Luxio and Graveler.

Rock:
Notable Pokemon: :rhydon: :lairon: :naclstack: :carkol: :glimmet: :growlithe-hisui: :lileep: :onix: :omanyte: :tyrunt:

Rock plays similarly to Electric. Rhydon stands head-and-shoulders above every Pokemon in Mono-Rock and is non-negotiable like Electabuzz is to Electric. Unlike Electric, the defensive synergy is more questionable. Rock makes up for this by bringing offence from Turn 1 with suicide leads in Glimmet/Onix, strong physical breakers, physical set-up sweepers and special cleaners. Naclstack and Lileep provide some semblance of defence and can help in problem match-ups like Steel and Water (resp.).

Flying:
Notable Pokemon: :dartrix: :fletchinder: :golbat: :murkrow: :rufflet: :togetic: :drifloon: :natu: :archen: :vullaby: :wattrel:

Flying is a bit disjointed. With Gligar banned, Archen is the best stealth rock setter. Flying teams should ideally centre around Golbat since it provides the most utility to the team with a Stallbreaker, Nasty Plot, or defensive Pivot set. Murkrow and Rufflet provide offensive pressure. Wattrel is an electric immunity with Gligar's absence. Being forced to choose between Heavy Duty Boots and Eviolite presents a challenge for Mono Flying NFEs, who would appreciate the benefit of both items. Mono Flying also struggles here as there are no Steel/Flying type NFE Pokemon, leaving a noticeable weakness in Ice and Rock moves.

Fire:
Notable Pokemon: :vulpix: :charmeleon: :combusken: :crocalor: :fletchinder: :lampent: :magmar: :monferno: :raboot: :growlithe-hisui::carkol:

Fire operates similarly to Mono Rock. Thanks to Sun boosting the damage of powerful breakers like Charmeleon, Magmar and Raboot, Fire focuses on dishing out offence fast and hard. Since Sun has few good responses to Ground- and Water-types, a defensive team with Crocalor is hard to make work. It also sucks that Fletchinder, Combusken, and Carkol are hazard removal options - all of them coming with severe opportunity costs. Hazard setting is also dubious, with Carkol, Monferno and LCs being your go-to options.

Dark:
Notable Pokemon: :krokorok: :linoone-galar: :morgrem: :murkrow: :qwilfish-hisui: :pawniard: :vullaby:

Dark doesn't have a deep cast, but it probably has the best pound-for-pound roster out of all the major types. It's a straightforward Offense that can be tweaked to be either a Bulky Offensive team or a straight-out HO team. I also see a defensive route with Vullaby, Morgrem and Hisui Qwilfish anchoring defence.

Ghost:
Notable Pokemon: :drakloak: :dusclops: :lampent: :misdreavus: :corsola-galar: :gastly: :honedge: :zorua-hisui:

Ghost is a mixed bag regarding power, but there's a good balanced team here. Almost all the Pokemon listed above can lure and cripple dark types (which is the main problem MU). Likewise, unlike other types, having two fatties in Corsola Galar and Dusclops makes defensive cores feasible. I'm not discounting offence, though, since Honedge (and maybe Golett) can be scary when facilitated with Drakloak Screens.

Normal:
Notable Pokemon: :dunsparce: :girafarig: :linoone-galar: :porygon: :rufflet: :stantler: :staravia: :vigoroth: :munchlax: :zorua-hisui: (rip :bidoof:)

Normal usually runs Balance in standard NDM, and it's no different with NFEs. Normal has the luxury of having several Pokemon with high BST (Dunsparce, Girafarig, Stantler and Vigoroth). Thanks to this, it has the tools to do well in many match-ups with 2-3 scary set-up sweepers, hazard setting in Dunsparce, speed control in Quick Feet Linoone, and a respectable fat core. However, no ditto in NFE does mean that Normal has to tip-toe around set up sweepers (or run unaware bidoof).

Ice:
Notable Pokemon: :arctibax: :piloswine: :sealeo: :vulpix-alola: :cetoddle: :darumaka-galar: :sandshrew-alola: (rip :snorunt:)

Not that many Pokemon for Ice to work with (though I might be missing a few Pokemon in the list above). Ice is relegated to cheesy offence, but the snow buff + Piloswine could help put in some work. Sandshrew might also be salvageable with Z-moves. Not a very strong showing for the Ice type.

Fighting:
Notable Pokemon: :gurdurr: :kubfu: :machoke: :meditite: :monferno: :combusken: :scraggy: :croagunk: :farfetchd-galar::mienfoo:

Fighting has a pretty scattered roster here. Gurdurr and Meditite are the best Pokemon on Fighting, but the rest of the crew have significant issues that impede them. For instance, many of the LC Pokemon (bar Farfetch'd) have questionable wall-breaking power. Not to mention that Monferno is FORCED into a Stealth Rock set instead of running the more valuable Choice Scarf set. Finally, there's not a lot of defensive synergy or specially bulky Pokemon, meaning that the problem match-ups are intensified.

Psychic:
Notable Pokemon: :duosion: :girafarig: :hattrem: :kirlia: :mime-jr: :meditite: :metang: :bronzor: :natu: :slowpoke:

Psychic also has a weird roster with a lot of disconnected Pokemon. However, Girafarig, Metang/Bronzor and Duosion have a solid synergy that can carry the team. Not to mention that Meditite can mimic Mega Gallade and act as a threatening (if slow) breaker. Hazard control is also fairly tight, thanks to Hattrem. Psychic teams are known for their good offensive synergy, so it's interesting to see a more balanced/bulky offence style take the rise in NFE.

Fairy:
Notable Pokemon: :clefairy: :cutiefly: :kirlia: :mime-jr: :marill: :tinkatuff: :togetic: :morgrem: :snubbull: :swirlix:

I was down on Fairy initially, but it is fairly serviceable as a type. Pokemon like Tinkatuff and Marill work solidly against Steel/Poison. Clefairy is a fairly versatile Pokemon who can run a dangerous Calm Mind set, defensive rocks set or a wish passing set. Offensive modes are available thanks to Morgrem, Cutiefly and Swirlix. You can even run Tinkatink to free up a slot for offensive Tinkatuff.

Elvira

formerly bruised
I've been on a building streak for ND Mono NFE since TTK said he wanted to iron out a ban list. I'll give some preliminary thoughts on the typings and banlist, but I don't have any updated teams atm.

Thoughts on the Banlist

:Basculin-White-Striped: :Bisharp: :Chansey: :Haunter: :Magneton: :Mr. Mime-Galar: :Porygon2: :Primeape: :Ursaring: :Scyther: :Type-Null: :Duraludon: :Kadabra:

These Pokemon are far too strong for the NFE power level, and it is unlikely that they would be allowed in any NFE meta outside select OMs and/or severe nerfs. Kadabra and Haunter are the weakest of these, but both still have the speed and power to fold many types singlehandedly.

:Sneasel: :Sneasel-Hisui: :Doublade:

These guys were legal in the initial code by TTK, but I am happy that they are gone.

:Gligar: :Pikachu:

With these two, you could make an arguable case for staying. Pikachu is somewhat overpowered in NFE, but being limited to Electric is a significant enough drawback. Still, Electric does get access to webs and has a pretty respectable core of Pokemon - not to mention that Ebuzz and Pikachu have beautiful synergy - so I can understand this move even if I'm 50/50 on Pika. Gligar is a monumental presence on Flying and Ground, as it helps stave off some terrifying match-ups. This feels like an Aegislash situation in Gen 7 Mono, where, yeah, the mon was pretty absurd, but it did contribute significantly to the defensive integrity of the teams that it was on. Unlike Aegi, tho, Gligar has nowhere near the same game-ending presence.

:dipplin:

This Pokemon is pushing it in regular ND NFE as is, but with the constraints that Nat Dex Mono has, it might warp the metagame to an absurd degree.

My boy is freed :)

Thoughts on Types

With the power level and the comparative lack of 2nd stage evolutions, there are not many options for viable types here. Even though there are more Pokemon numerically than Monotype LC, the average pool of viable Pokemon is significantly lower given that everything is bulkier with Level 100 and Eviolite - and many strong Pokemon here are clear outliers compared to Mono LC. Monotype even nerfs offensive synergy ideas you see in ND NFE. No more Magmar + Electabuzz, Vulpix + Ivysaur, Shell Smash Wartortle + SD Raboot, etc. So you end up with types that lack the tools to be fully realised offensively, defensively or both.

Let's start with a case study of this.

:nymble: :dwebble: :dewpider:

I'm not saying Bug was taking LC by storm, but at least you have Pokemon you could work with. Dwebble, Sizzlipede, Anorith, Nymble, Dewpider, and Joltik provided either type-specific utilities (like webs, nymble's tinted lens first impression, etc.) or a valuable property that helped bug in its weaker MU. Not to mention that Bug did relatively well against Fighting and Dark.

:whirlipede: :yanma: :charjabug:

In the transition to NFE, bug gained... Charjabug. A lot of the other options on Bug are utility guys. Cutifly, Whirlipede and Dottler mainly set up field conditions like hazards or screens. Yanma could work as a late-game cleaner with Hypnosis, but that requires deciding between compound eyes or speed boost. Offensive stuff like Dwebble just doesn't have the same firepower it does in LC. Bug in NFE could use with a Mega Pinsir/Volcarona or NFE Dwebble equivalent that just holds games down. Likewise, it could appreciate something like Armaldo or NFE Dewpider equivalent to have a defensive response vs its weaker matchups.

I'll go through the top 5 types, IMO and give my reasoning.

#1: Water

Notable Pokemon: :frogadier: :marill: :marshtomp: :mareanie: :palpitoad::prinplup: :quaxwell: :wartortle: :clamperl: :chinchou: :slowpoke:

Of course, this type was going to be here somewhere. It's amazing how many naturally strong NFE Pokemon are in this type. Frogadier, Marenie and Wartortle, for example, are all excellent Pokemon in ND NFE in their own right. Bolstering this stacked lineup is Water's flexibility. NFE Mono Water teams have access to sturdy Grass resists like Mareanie, Grass immunity in Marill, and Electric immunities in Marshtomp, Palpitoad and Chinchou. Additionally, Water types themselves are versatile. Wartortle, for instance, can run a defensive pivot set or a lethal Shell Smash set. This allows Mono Water teams to experiment with archetypes ranging from Stall to Balance to HO - something very few types can do.

#2: Grass

Notable Pokemon: :dipplin::dartrix: :roselia: :grotle: :ivysaur: :roselia: :servine: :thwackey: :ferroseed: :lileep: :tangela: :voltorb-Hisui: :snover:

Grass, like Water, has a star-studded cast. It's interesting how similarly NFE Grass plays to its fully evolved counterparts, with Thwackey and Ferroseed being carbon copies of Rillaboom and Ferrothorn. Grass doesn't cover its bases as well as Water does since you can't shake off the weakness to Special Fire and Ice moves. However, I don't think the grass type is pigeonholed into a single team composition, as quite a few types are. You'll probably end up with a standard team of Dipplin / Thwackey / Ferroseed / Roselia and alternate the last two slots based on your preference. However, I can see Dual Screens and Sun pop up as more niche options.

#3: Ground

Notable Pokemon: :gabite: :krokorok: :marshtomp: :palpitoad: :piloswine: :rhydon: :vibrava: :hippopotas: :toedscool: (:diglett: and :trapinch: if arena trap is allowed)

A recurring theme is that the best types in ND NFE have 1) a strong cast of Pokemon and 2) solid defensive synergy. Mono Ground continues the trend with Gabite, Piloswine and Rhydon leading the vanguard. Access to Water immunity and Ice neutrality via Palpitoad is valuable for role compression. Mono Ground also shores up its poorer match-ups thanks to Arena Trap support from Trapinch. Sand builds can be an option, with Hippopotas freeing up the bulky Stealth Rock slot, letting Gabite, Palpitoad and Piloswine run other sets. Drilbur and Sandshrew are optional on such teams.

#4: Poison

Notable Pokemon: :golbat: :qwilfish-hisui: :roselia: :poipole: :mareanie: :gastly: :glimmet: :koffing:

Poison keeps much of what makes it a good fat type in regular NDM. Good Ground and Psychic immunities combined with unrivalled sustain thanks to recovery on many key Pokemon. Although only Glimmet (and Wooper-Paldea) get rocks, many Pokmon get Toxic Spikes, and Qwilfish + Roselia get spikes - allowing team comp flexibility. Two key things knock it down a notch. Firstly, several mono teams (like Water, Grass and Dark) carry Poison types due to the typing being on juggernauts like Mareanie, Roselia and Hisui Qwilfish. This means that brainless T-spiking ideas aren't as straightforward. Secondly, Poison has no Nidoking equivalent, and Haunter is banned, meaning that offensive pressure is hard to generate outside of SD Qwilfish and Gastly. Nevertheless, Mono Poison teams will yield dividends if you work past these limitations through careful team building and play.

#5: Steel

Notable Pokemon: :sliggoo-Hisui: :tinkatuff: :lairon: :metang: :klang: :bronzor: :ferroseed: :honedge: :pawniard: :magnemite:

Before I went into this, I didn't have high hopes for Steel. In regular ND NFE, only a handful of Steels get used, and they clash in roles. But when drafting a team and assembling the type of line-ups, Steel has a pretty solid roster that can cover its bases. Not having Heatran's Fire immunity is rough, but Lairon and Sliggoo help with that (somewhat). Bronzor provides ground immunity, and Honedge provides immunity to Fighting attacks. That's not even mentioning the many fighting neutralities and Ferroseed sitting on the Ground. The biggest draw is how Steel leverages Hazard pressure with ruthless Spikes stack combined with Honedge and Pawniard. Not having a Skarm / Corviknight replacement is a bummer since the hazard control would be on point otherwise.

I'll briefly overview what the other types can do. I think Dragon, Dark and Electric are the most interesting of these types. Most of these types lack solid hazard control, reliable wall-breakers and win conditions, or sloppy defensive synergy. Sometimes it's a combination of all three. The one exception is Dark which could sit at #5 on a good day - I left it in this list since there are very few options available for Dark teams.

Dragon:
Notable Pokemon: :dragonair: :dipplin: :drakloak: :fraxure: :gabite: :hakamo-o: :sliggoo-hisui: :zweilous: :tyrunt:

Locked into a HO build is annoying, but Dragon does have a few good options to enable it. Drakloak can set up screens, Gabite is a nice rocker, and there is a serviceable mix of special and physical offence - with a greater lean on physical offence. You also have pivots into Ice and Fairy in the form of Sliggoo. Not to mention that many Dragon-types are versatile Pokemon in their own right. If push comes to shove, get Gible or Tyrunt to do rocking duties.

Electric:
Notable Pokemon: :charjabug: :eelektrik: :electabuzz: :graveler-alola: :luxio: :chinchou: :voltorb-hisui: :wattrel:

Electric plays 'Follow the Leader'. Electabuzz is by far the best Pokemon in Electric - hands down. A team without Electabuzz is fundamentally unsound. The other team members on Electric should all chip in to help Electabuzz achieve its goal. This includes Sticky Webs and Rocks support, pivoting and physical attacking pressure to complement Electabuzz's special firepower. Even outside of Electabuzz, Electric still has some tools to deal with most team compositions with a solid stealth rocker and decent physical pressure from Luxio and Graveler.

Rock:
Notable Pokemon: :rhydon: :lairon: :naclstack: :carkol: :glimmet: :growlithe-hisui: :lileep: :onix: :omanyte: :tyrunt:

Rock plays similarly to Electric. Rhydon stands head-and-shoulders above every Pokemon in Mono-Rock and is non-negotiable like Electabuzz is to Electric. Unlike Electric, the defensive synergy is more questionable. Rock makes up for this by bringing offence from Turn 1 with suicide leads in Glimmet/Onix, strong physical breakers, physical set-up sweepers and special cleaners. Naclstack and Lileep provide some semblance of defence and can help in problem match-ups like Steel and Water (resp.).

Flying:
Notable Pokemon: :dartrix: :fletchinder: :golbat: :murkrow: :rufflet: :togetic: :drifloon: :natu: :archen: :vullaby: :wattrel:

Flying is a bit disjointed. With Gligar banned, Archen is the best stealth rock setter. Flying teams should ideally centre around Golbat since it provides the most utility to the team with a Stallbreaker, Nasty Plot, or defensive Pivot set. Murkrow and Rufflet provide offensive pressure. Wattrel is an electric immunity with Gligar's absence. Being forced to choose between Heavy Duty Boots and Eviolite presents a challenge for Mono Flying NFEs, who would appreciate the benefit of both items. Mono Flying also struggles here as there are no Steel/Flying type NFE Pokemon, leaving a noticeable weakness in Ice and Rock moves.

Fire:
Notable Pokemon: :vulpix: :charmeleon: :combusken: :crocalor: :fletchinder: :lampent: :magmar: :monferno: :raboot: :growlithe-hisui::carkol:

Fire operates similarly to Mono Rock. Thanks to Sun boosting the damage of powerful breakers like Charmeleon, Magmar and Raboot, Fire focuses on dishing out offence fast and hard. Since Sun has few good responses to Ground- and Water-types, a defensive team with Crocalor is hard to make work. It also sucks that Fletchinder, Combusken, and Carkol are hazard removal options - all of them coming with severe opportunity costs. Hazard setting is also dubious, with Carkol, Monferno and LCs being your go-to options.

Dark:
Notable Pokemon: :krokorok: :linoone-galar: :morgrem: :murkrow: :qwilfish-hisui: :pawniard: :vullaby:

Dark doesn't have a deep cast, but it probably has the best pound-for-pound roster out of all the major types. It's a straightforward Offense that can be tweaked to be either a Bulky Offensive team or a straight-out HO team. I also see a defensive route with Vullaby, Morgrem and Hisui Qwilfish anchoring defence.

Ghost:
Notable Pokemon: :drakloak: :dusclops: :lampent: :misdreavus: :corsola-galar: :gastly: :honedge: :zorua-hisui:

Ghost is a mixed bag regarding power, but there's a good balanced team here. Almost all the Pokemon listed above can lure and cripple dark types (which is the main problem MU). Likewise, unlike other types, having two fatties in Corsola Galar and Dusclops makes defensive cores feasible. I'm not discounting offence, though, since Honedge (and maybe Golett) can be scary when facilitated with Drakloak Screens.

Normal:
Notable Pokemon: :dunsparce: :girafarig: :linoone-galar: :porygon: :rufflet: :stantler: :staravia: :vigoroth: :munchlax: :zorua-hisui: (rip :bidoof:)

Normal usually runs Balance in standard NDM, and it's no different with NFEs. Normal has the luxury of having several Pokemon with high BST (Dunsparce, Girafarig, Stantler and Vigoroth). Thanks to this, it has the tools to do well in many match-ups with 2-3 scary set-up sweepers, hazard setting in Dunsparce, speed control in Quick Feet Linoone, and a respectable fat core. However, no ditto in NFE does mean that Normal has to tip-toe around set up sweepers (or run unaware bidoof).

Ice:
Notable Pokemon: :arctibax: :piloswine: :sealeo: :vulpix-alola: :cetoddle: :darumaka-galar: :sandshrew-alola: (rip :snorunt:)

Not that many Pokemon for Ice to work with (though I might be missing a few Pokemon in the list above). Ice is relegated to cheesy offence, but the snow buff + Piloswine could help put in some work. Sandshrew might also be salvageable with Z-moves. Not a very strong showing for the Ice type.

Fighting:
Notable Pokemon: :gurdurr: :kubfu: :machoke: :meditite: :monferno: :combusken: :scraggy: :croagunk: :farfetchd-galar::mienfoo:

Fighting has a pretty scattered roster here. Gurdurr and Meditite are the best Pokemon on Fighting, but the rest of the crew have significant issues that impede them. For instance, many of the LC Pokemon (bar Farfetch'd) have questionable wall-breaking power. Not to mention that Monferno is FORCED into a Stealth Rock set instead of running the more valuable Choice Scarf set. Finally, there's not a lot of defensive synergy or specially bulky Pokemon, meaning that the problem match-ups are intensified.

Psychic:
Notable Pokemon: :duosion: :girafarig: :hattrem: :kirlia: :mime-jr: :meditite: :metang: :bronzor: :natu: :slowpoke:

Psychic also has a weird roster with a lot of disconnected Pokemon. However, Girafarig, Metang/Bronzor and Duosion have a solid synergy that can carry the team. Not to mention that Meditite can mimic Mega Gallade and act as a threatening (if slow) breaker. Hazard control is also fairly tight, thanks to Hattrem. Psychic teams are known for their good offensive synergy, so it's interesting to see a more balanced/bulky offence style take the rise in NFE.

Fairy:
Notable Pokemon: :clefairy: :cutiefly: :kirlia: :mime-jr: :marill: :tinkatuff: :togetic: :morgrem: :snubbull: :swirlix:

I was down on Fairy initially, but it is fairly serviceable as a type. Pokemon like Tinkatuff and Marill work solidly against Steel/Poison. Clefairy is a fairly versatile Pokemon who can run a dangerous Calm Mind set, defensive rocks set or a wish passing set. Offensive modes are available thanks to Morgrem, Cutiefly and Swirlix. You can even run Tinkatink to free up a slot for offensive Tinkatuff.
I'd absolutely love to go off from the lines detailing pikachu. Thorough testing with room tours have I seen this mon just not do much entirely to be a game changing factor with its respected singular type. Electabuzz is electric's best answer to a majority of types given its limited coverage and pikachu is just there..standing there. One could say that Pawmo is a better pikachu with Z Celebrate shenanigans, Iron Fist Mach Punches, etc. But through trial and error it seems using electric is more and more difficult. Pikachu in regular ND NFE oh definitely that thing is broken but..I am leaning more towards an unban when it comes to this mouse.

The sets I can really deviate in the builder are as such; Nasty plot + light ball 3 attacks (1 being extreme speed for prio), 4 Attacks Grass knot Surf being its best coverage if not hp ice/fire, light ball substitute focus punch 2 fillers, even going as far as to potentially run CALM MIND 3 attacks..

Overall, by preview this thing isnt deserving of a ban although if we all vote for the unban we should keep an eye on it due to light ball. I feel as if even with light ball it still isnt as busted as we make it out to be on paper but I still would like to watch it. As far as electric is concerned if we unban pikachu thats going to be its only saving grace because magneton is NOT coming out of retirement. Bro is NOT him!

TTK

Webtoon Character
With NDMPL Player Signups up, the Ubers Council wants to make sure that everything looks right before any games start. With the last tiering action occurring after the last NDMPL with the ban of Xerneas, we have been seeing if there were any other controversial mons that we needed to take action on and one mon in particular stood out from the rest. With that being said...

:xy/koraidon:
Koraidon is now banned from Natdex Monotype Ubers!
1708622403687.png

Koraidon throughout this gen was a solid pick on Dragon and Fighting teams, its high speed tier made it an optimal scarfer and its damage output was good thanks to its ability and strong dual STABs. It also had SD sets but its best set was certainly scarf. Things took a turn for the worse when DLC2 dropped, which gave Koraidon Scale Shot. Swords Dance Loaded Dice Scale Shot became the premier set and let me tell you, it practically had zero counterplay in the tier if it managed to have a boost. The only consistent counterplay was running your own Scarf Koraidon (which was the inferior set now), Scarf Iron Bundle or Scarf Dragapult, the latter wholly being outclassed by Giratina formes in this format. Fairy types could also serve as a road block since they naturally resist its dual STABs and stop the speed boost from Scale Shot but none want to switch into +2 sun-boosted Flare Blitz anyway. Koraidon also possessed teammates on both types like Dialga, Eternatus, Mega Lucario and Zamazenta-Crowned that could threaten Fairy teams or Fairy-types in general. It would proceed to OHKO the entire meta with either just clicking Close Combat or Scale Shot on things that resisted/were immune to Fighting. Such an overpowered pokemon was quickly noticed by the council and we have deemed Koraidon too strong to keep in the tier or the risk of games in NDMPL would come down to Koraidon clicking two buttons and winning.

The council also took a vote on whether to unban Zacian-H and with a 3-2 vote, Zacian-H has been unbanned in Natdex Monotype Ubers!
1708622432338.png

:xy/zacian:
Zacian is a pokemon that some members of the council believe is a presence that would not be too overbearing in the format. The nerfs it accrued in Generation 9 to its Attack means it's not too hard to wall once its also nerfed ability has been activated once. Common pokemon such as different Arceus formes and Primal Groudon are able to check Zacian quite efficiently and can shut it down with Thunder Wave or Will-o-Wisp. The vote however, was not close. We acknowledge that Zacian is now the 6th fastest commonly used pokemon in the format behind Deoxys-Attack/Speed, Pheromosa, Dragapult and Mega Mewtwo Y. It also greatly benefits from the dual screens archetype Fairy teams usually run and SD Z move sets could get around its checks like Primal Groudon and Necrozma-Dusk Mane with Z-Dig or Fightinium Z against Steel types like Arceus-Steel. Choice Band is also a set to be wary about, particularly when it has its first boost from Intrepid Sword. This is all speculation first, and we will see throughout the tour hopefully whether unbanning Zacian was a good thing for the format or not.

Good luck to all that have signed up!

Elvira

formerly bruised
Today I will be slandering the most known ice abusing horse. Well a little less hostility will come from me. Lets begin!

:sv/Calyrex-Ice:

I have not realized sooner that this may need to be put on the watchlist along with primal groudon and primal kyogre. Post Koraidon and post Xerneas ban has really opened up much more potential threats that could go uncontested with how this tier should be played. And yes I understand that Ubers is legendaries galore but the real issue is that it just takes 1 turn for things to go completely south and I am being so serious on this. I could pose and post an entire list of potential sets that calyrex can run on either type it is ran on but that would only look a bit like I am targeting it for a ban.

Calyrex-Ice @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: As One (Glastrier)
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Swords Dance
- Glacial Lance
- Stomping Tantrum / Close Combat

Above is the only set I can see being ran on ice along with weakness policy, lum berry, colbur berry, and/or keeping heavy duty boots. Now the real issue with using calyrex is that unfortunately it still gets walled by primal groudon but thats another issue for another day. Given that aspect taken out consider us actually banning primal groudon. Then we pose more threats such as Primal Kyogre, Calyrex Ice, the list goes on. I am not stating that a ban should be implimented but I believe this needs to be seen and more eyes need to watch over how this horse is going to pose a threat during ndmpl games or future matches in the room tours. Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
I signed up for natdex mono ubers, it went quite badly but had fun, it is a very interesting tier to experiment with in my opinion and i wanted to share some thoughts about it.

To try to have a more precise idea of what is going on in this metagame i watched a bunch of replays from the current ndmpl and took some notes to try to do an early cartography of the tier. Please take this post with a big grain of salt since goes from my very limited experience, but hopefully this will be a meaningful contribution to the exploration of the tier.

Ground
Pdon+Zyg-C+Arceus probably mandatory
Options:
Iron Treads
Bloodmoon
Clodsire
Lando-T

Dragon
Etern + Zyg-C probably mandatory
Balance: (used twice)
Dialga + megamence/gira-o
Palk-O, Kyu-B, Kyu-W, Gouging Fire
HO (used once)
Megamence, Ray, Zekrom
Naga lead

Psychic
Caly-I + NDM + Mewtwo-X (3/4 revealed) probably mandatory
Seem to be a lot of stuff between bulky balance and ho
Options:
Deoxys-A/S
Tapu Lele / Hatterene
Lugia / Lunala

Steel
Kartana + Necrozma-DM + Celes/Corv probably mandatory
Options:
Heatran
Magearna
Arceus Steel
Lucario-Mega / Metagross-Mega
Klefki???
Aegislash

Water:
Kyogre probably mandatory
Arc-W (maybe mandatory) + Bundle very important
Webs:
Araquanid + Bascu-M + Palk-O

Balance:
Palkia

Fairy
Zac + Arc + Mage + Flutter (+ valiant + mdiancie?)

Fighting
Very offensive (?)
Zamazenta + Arceus-F + Pheromosa blabla
^ This misses some stuff that happened late in the tour (I think there is some flying, dark and grass that were used too - i think dark and flying in particular have good potential)

I also generated usage stats to have something in mind when prepping (this also misses the few last rounds):
  1. + ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
    | Rank | Pokemon | Use | Usage % | Win % |
    + ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
    | 1 | Necrozma-Dusk-Mane | 8 | 33.33% | 37.50% |
    | 2 | Zygarde | 8 | 33.33% | 87.50% |
    | 3 | Tapu Lele | 4 | 16.67% | 25.00% |
    | 4 | Calyrex-Ice | 4 | 16.67% | 50.00% |
    | 5 | Mewtwo | 4 | 16.67% | 50.00% |
    | 6 | Kyogre | 4 | 16.67% | 25.00% |
    | 7 | Eternatus | 4 | 16.67% | 75.00% |
    | 8 | Arceus-Ground | 4 | 16.67% | 100.00% |
    | 9 | Groudon | 4 | 16.67% | 100.00% |
    | 10 | Kartana | 4 | 16.67% | 25.00% |
    | 11 | Magearna | 3 | 12.50% | 0.00% |
    | 12 | Deoxys-Attack | 3 | 12.50% | 66.67% |
    | 13 | Lugia | 3 | 12.50% | 66.67% |
    | 14 | Basculegion | 3 | 12.50% | 33.33% |
    | 15 | Iron Bundle | 3 | 12.50% | 33.33% |
    | 16 | Dialga | 3 | 12.50% | 66.67% |
    | 17 | Iron Treads | 3 | 12.50% | 100.00% |
    | 18 | Landorus-Therian | 3 | 12.50% | 100.00% |
    | 19 | Celesteela | 3 | 12.50% | 33.33% |

[*][21:55]
    | 20 | Heatran | 3 | 12.50% | 33.33% |
    | 21 | Arceus-Water | 3 | 12.50% | 33.33% |
    | 22 | Iron Valiant | 2 | 8.33% | 0.00% |
    | 23 | Klefki | 2 | 8.33% | 0.00% |
    | 24 | Araquanid | 2 | 8.33% | 50.00% |
    | 25 | Giratina-Origin | 2 | 8.33% | 100.00% |
    | 26 | Gouging Fire | 2 | 8.33% | 100.00% |
    | 27 | Kyurem-White | 2 | 8.33% | 100.00% |
    | 28 | Arceus-Fighting | 2 | 8.33% | 0.00% |
    | 29 | Pheromosa | 2 | 8.33% | 0.00% |
    | 30 | Zamazenta | 2 | 8.33% | 0.00% |
    | 31 | Clodsire | 2 | 8.33% | 100.00% |
    | 32 | Ursaluna-Bloodmoon | 2 | 8.33% | 100.00% |
    | 33 | Palkia-Origin | 2 | 8.33% | 50.00% |
    | 34 | Salamence | 2 | 8.33% | 50.00% |
    | 35 | Steelix | 2 | 8.33% | 100.00% |
    | 36 | Arceus-Steel | 2 | 8.33% | 50.00% |
    | 37 | Metagross | 2 | 8.33% | 50.00% |
    | 38 | Lucario | 2 | 8.33% | 0.00% |
    | 39 | Palkia | 2 | 8.33% | 0.00% |
    [*][21:55]
    | 40 | Diancie | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 41 | Zacian | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 42 | Hatterene | 1 | 4.17% | 100.00% |
    | 43 | Blastoise | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 44 | Dracovish | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 45 | Arceus-Dark | 1 | 4.17% | 100.00% |
    | 46 | Chien-Pao | 1 | 4.17% | 100.00% |
    | 47 | Kingambit | 1 | 4.17% | 100.00% |
    | 48 | Meowscarada | 1 | 4.17% | 100.00% |
    | 49 | Ting-Lu | 1 | 4.17% | 100.00% |
    | 50 | Yveltal | 1 | 4.17% | 100.00% |
    | 51 | Blaziken | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 52 | Great Tusk | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 53 | Urshifu | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 54 | Deoxys-Speed | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 55 | Lunala | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 56 | Kyurem-Black | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 57 | Seismitoad | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 58 | Toxapex | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 59 | Annihilape | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 60 | Starmie | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 61 | Swampert | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 62 | Aegislash | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 63 | Corviknight | 1 | 4.17% | 0.00% |
    | 64 | Naganadel | 1 | 4.17% | 100.00% |
    | 65 | Rayquaza | 1 | 4.17% | 100.00% |
    | 66 | Zekrom | 1 | 4.17% | 100.00% |

Some conclusions i am tempted to make:
>Ground, Dragon, Psychic and Steel seem to be big types. I won't really talk much about steel here, i just want to mention that scarf kartana is actually a bitch for a lot of teams and is probably a big reason to run Steel by itself. From what i have seen so far we didn't see any Kingambits on steel, idk if there is a reason for that but this mon is quite cracked so i think it maybe should be considered more.

>Ground is absolutely insane. I'm generally not much of a winrate believer as a statistic but a 100% winrate is probably something that should not go unnoticed. Zygarde-C P-Don and Arceus-Ground are already among the best pokemon available in the format and you can slap them together on the same team. Very frankly I think the type for sure warrants tiering action, i don't think Zygarde-C and P-Don are really reasonable pokemon to prepare for. Sub glare sets from zyg in particular are nonsense.

>I don't remember seeing any last respects but i was wondering: isn't there a big fat minute chance this thing is stupid? The main issue i had with it trying to build around it is that ghost and water doesn't seem to be superb types - of course i can be proven wrong on that.

Team dump with very interesting descriptions (no) ((i'm honestly a bit tired rn and cba to try to actually review the replays + give an in depth explanations on the teams sorry)). Yes i know some of them don't have defog but fitting defog is overrated and annoying, and i don't think playing the hazard game here without defog is that difficult.
Week 1:
:naganadel: :salamence-mega: :eternatus: :zekrom: :rayquaza: :zygarde: - PrinceOfAllTacos vs sapphiree (Won)
We slapped an HO together, dragon seemed to be a good typing in general and ho be easy to build, idr why i couldn't play maybe i forgot idk but Poat was subbed in and won so we ball

Week 2:
:palkia: :basculegion: :arceus-water: :toxapex: :kyogre-primal: :seismitoad: - Fraolain vs R8 (Lost)
I thought like tspikes are cracked and last respect is broken and i want to try it, and this team was kind of the conclusion from the idea. I'm not gonna lie i think the team isn't that good, and i possibly messed up the game too but i think this is mostly a team issue, somehow the ground matchup isn't good enough i think. Rest Ice Beam Kyogre-P seems to not be a very solid standalone zygarde-c check, same goes for arceus-water vs pdon. This is no proof on its own that Ground is broken ofc but i still think Ground in general is too good.

Week 3:
:clodsire: :groudon-primal: :landorus-therian: :zygarde: :ursaluna-bloodmoon: :arceus-ground: - Vertigo vs R8 (Won)
My unhealthy tspikes obsession continue, i decided to go for ground and won after having to pp stall leech seed from a celesteela that was actually incredibly annoying. I like the Bloodmoon+Arc Ground take, the double cm proved to be overwhelming in testing + i wanted a way to make sure i wasn't getting last respected.

Week 5:
:arceus-dark: :yveltal: :overqwil: :kingambit: :chien-pao: :roaring moon: - R8 vs King Billu (Won)
I was told we were already qualified for playoffs so i wanted to try experimenting. I tought Dark sound good and of course I had to include T-Spikes because i am paid by T-Spikes Inc. or something. Facing Grass is for sure something i did not expect.

Week 6: (Sample submission - feel free to edit/rework, the spread are probably not optimal, i have big doubts on the NDM set in particular)
:calyrex-ice: :necrozma-dusk-mane: :mewtwo: :lugia: :arceus-psychic: :tapu lele: - Saurav the Great vs R8 [QQ] (Lost)
Honestly the most interesting game i had in the entire tournament. I will not complain about haxx because to be honest this was something on my control (the full para would have not mattered if i didn't switch caly into a sacred fire earlier and be forced to rest - and tbh i got lucky not getting full parad earlier as well). The team is built around resttalk Caly-I, which is both a threat and one of the hardest stops to any zygarde-c set, and also absorbs status and can punishe passive defensive presences. The rest of the team is just about trying to cover the metagame as much as possible and try to have options against every relevant type. The reason why there is a lugia and not a lunala is because lugia can eat a max power last respect, and i def didn't want to lose to some basculegion shenanigans - the mon also actually checked LO Yveltal in the game which is actually incredible (i'm wondering if the yveltal couldn't have just pressed oblivion wing though).

That's it, ban Zygarde or tell me what checks it ty. This is definitively a very cool tier and i def recommend it!

Last edited:

Elvira

formerly bruised

National Dex Monotype NFE Sample Teams

This post will serve as a way for newer players who enjoy the NFE OM to take a pick at some of the balanced/perfect teams while the meta is settled for the time being. Below are samples created from the community and the council. Enjoy!

for any inquiries of the meta or any questions about the current state of NDM NFE please look to the current council:
(Elvira , boomp , Velcroc , sealoo, TTK , FadedCharm )

As the meta currently stands, we will not be taking samples for bug as bug currently has a 0% usage rate and its just a terrible type all around to try and build for.

:qwilfish-hisui: :krokorok: :morgrem: :pawniard: :vullaby: :zweilous: by TTK

:sliggoo-hisui: :dipplin: :drakloak: :gabite: :vibrava: :arctibax: by TTK

Open for samples!

Open for samples!

:combusken: :gurdurr: :machoke: :meditite: :hakamo-o: :scraggy: by TTK

Open for samples!

:togetic: :staravia: :yanma: :vullaby: :natu: :rufflet: by TTK

Open for samples!

Open for samples!

Open for samples!

Open for samples!

:dunsparce: :girafarig: :staravia: :vigoroth: :stantler: :shroodle: by TTK

:qwilfish-hisui: :golbat: :poipole: :roselia: :gastly: :mareanie: by TTK

Open for samples!

:rhydon: :naclstack: :lileep: :growlithe-hisui: :tyrunt: :glimmet: by TTK

Open for samples!

:mareanie: :frogadier: :marshtomp: :wartortle: :croconaw: :seadra: by TTK

Last edited:

Elvira

formerly bruised
Posting for National Dex Ubers, got into it recently. Is a fun meta for sure. I wanna share some of the teams I have built and my thoughts on the options for each type I've used. I'll start from alphabetical order.

Dark
:arceus::sableye-mega::ting-lu::yveltal::chien-pao::chi-yu:

Dark has some cool ubers at its disposal. Two of the ruined treasures, everyone's favourite Blissey killing goldfish and an endangered snow leopard, can't go wrong with them. We also have Yveltal, one of the most versatile pokemon in the entire format. Ting-Lu + Mega Sableye is also solid defensively and if you have an Arceus at your disposal, freaking use it.

I'll do this for every type and share my thoughts on most options that are usable.

S Rank (The Best)
:yveltal: - Dark's cornerpiece in my opinion. Extremely adaptable when it comes to what sort of teamstyle you want to go for whether that's balance or more offensive builds.

A Rank (Solid mons)
:arceus: - I don't want to explain every Arceus but there will be no Arceus that's bad on any type.
:chien-pao: - Fast and hits incredibly hard.
:chi-yu: - Blissey killing goldfish goes hard too.
:kingambit: - Unsure about this one, I've seen some use it but by virtue of its ability, defensive typing and access to Knock, Kingambit should be solid.
:roaring-moon: - Dangerous sweeper for offence with Booster Energy. I wonder how good the trapping set is in this format.
:sableye-mega: - Dark's premier defensive mon, offers fighting immunity and good bulk all-around.
:ting-lu: - Bulky mon #2 which has hazards.
:urshifu: - Disgusting wallbreaker which has SD to hit even harder. Who would've thought Urshifu would be good.

:darkrai: - Dark Void nerfs still doesn't change the fact that it has Nasty Plot and a good speed tier.
:greninja: - No ash gren but Protean is always good.
:grimmsnarl: - Enables Dark HO to function pretty much.
:meowscarada: - Very similar situation to Greninja. Scarf is solid for revenge killing Dragon. Helps in the Water matchup. Definitely the best mon in B.
:moltres-galar: - Also another Dark offence mon that can do well.
:muk-alola: - Fairy matchup, enough said.

C Rank (niche)
:hoopa-unbound: - Compulsory Ubers by default placement. I don't think Hoopa is all that good, too slow and too frail.

D Rank (Do not Use)
Everything else

Dragon
:eternatus::koraidon::miraidon::arceus::zygarde-complete::roaring-moon:

Dragon is incredibly stacked in NDM Ubers and it's possibly the best type in the format. Powerhouses in Miraidon, Koraidon, Zygarde-C, Eternatus. Some other Dragons that are strong in their own right with Mega Mence, Palkia-O, Eternatus, Arceus and Roaring Moon. Simple offensive Dragon team here with straight powerhouses. Pretty easy to pilot too.

S Rank (Better than everything else)
:eternatus: - 130 Speed, neutrality to Fairy, good defensive stats.
:koraidon: - Great speed tier, hits incredibly hard. Easier to wall than Miraidon but still they're practically almost the same level.
:miraidon: - No brainer it's freaking Miraidon.
:zygarde-complete: - Way too bulky for its own good, variety of sets.

A Rank (Solid mons)
:arceus: - Best support mon for Dragon. Also variety of sets it can pull off is good.
:salamence-mega: - Its speed tier is no longer as valuable as it once was but still a devastating sweeper with DD and Flying is just strong offensively.
:roaring-moon: - Synergises well with Koraidon. Even without it, DD booster energy goes particularly hard.

:cyclizar: - Shed Tail is actually decent. I personally don't think it's necessary but Shed Tailing into these beasts is crazy.
:dialga: - Dragon neutrality is always useful and defensive typing is generally solid for the Fairy mu.
:dragapult: - Mainly being faster than everything and still threatening in the mirror after 1 DD.
:giratina: / :giratina-origin: - Admittedly haven't used these but they can't be too bad on paper.
:palkia-origin: - Lack of an item slot realistically is kinda annoying but the higher speed and still relative power it possesses, I can't put it lower than B.
:rayquaza: - U-turn is cool.

C Rank (niche)
:altaria-mega: - Could be B rank potentially since Fairy is generally good for dealing with Dark and this mon is also useful in the Dragon mirror.
:dialga-origin: - Ranking this purely because it's ubers by default. Normal Dialga is superior don't use this.
:dracovish: - Also ubers by default. I can justify on Water but Dragon, no reason at all to run this.
:kyurem-black: / :kyurem-white: - White is typically better but I just feel like these guys are simply outclassed in anything they want to do by the higher ranked mons.
:naganadel: - Way too frail, Eternatus exists.
:palkia: - Though this one can run an item unlike Origin, is anything Palkia can do better than anything above it. Scarf is way too slow and if its not scarf, then just use Palkia-O or like... Miraidon?
:reshiram: - As an ubers player, Reshiram hasn't been good like ever. Same thing applies here. If you want Fire coverage, use the pseudo fire type Koraidon.
:walking-wake: - Also hard to justify this one but at least it has Booster Energy so it's definitely better than Palkia but that's not saying much.
:zekrom: - I like Zekrom really but there's a new Dragon/Electric in town.

D rank (Do not realistically use)
:zygarde: - Troll if you wish, Aura Break do be cancelling Yveltal's Dark Aura.
Everything else.

Electric
:arceus::regieleki::zekrom::tapu-koko::rotom-wash::zapdos:

Electric doesn't have much Ubers so you could relatively run this like standard NDM but you want to include an Arceus somewhere and probably Zekrom somewhere. Koko should be here and so should Rotom and I feel like Zapdos could be something else but it's a first starter team.

S Rank (The Best)
:arceus: - Basic Arceus S rank placement.
:miraidon: - Forgot Miraidon LMAO doesn't really need explaining?
:tapu-koko: - I feel like Electric wants Terrain somewhere. Can activate Iron Hands Quark Drive if you use that and also just makes your electric mons stronger.

A Rank (Solid Mons)
:iron-hands: - Its bulk is much appreciated.
:raichu-alola: - Solid wincon option with Surge Surfer.
:regieleki: - Fastest mon in the game, no ground type? Just die to Rising Voltage then.
:rotom-wash: - If you don't want to get 6-0d by Water (Water Spout probably still 2hkos this anyway), you want to go Rotom-Wash. Ground immunity too.
:zekrom: - No reason not to use Zekrom in ubers Electric. Unlike on Dragon where the competition is putting Zekrom 6 feet under, it can relax and just go DD and kill everything on electric teams.

B Rank (Good/Decent mons)
:zapdos: - Offensive or defensive I feel function well.
:zeraora: - Fast asf, Bulk Up should be good and can utilise Z moves well.

C Rank (Hard to argue anything else to use on electric but heres' my two cents.)
:manectric-mega: - I guess if you want a mega evolution, Mane is here.
:golem-alola: / :iron-thorns: - Your hazard guys.

Fighting
:arceus::koraidon::annihilape::lucario-mega::urshifu::great-tusk:

Fighting definitely one of my favourites rn. Just plain strong asf mons to use and a good selection of ubers to choose from. Koraidon, Urshifu, Mega Blaze, Mega Lucario.

S Rank (The Best)
:koraidon: - Doesn't matter what type it is, Koraidon is that guy and fortunately in Fighting, it is definitely the best mon on the type.

A Rank (Solid Mons)
:annihilape: - Taunt Bulk Up Rage Fist is an auto win set vs bulky teams.
:arceus:
:great-tusk: - Great addition to the type. Hazards and hazard removal and versatile too.
:lucario-mega: - Best Mega on the format (megas aren't a necessity on teams) but Lucario is fast enough to make an impact and assists in the Fairy matchup.
:urshifu: - Same as I said for Dark basically.

:blaziken-mega: - Tough to argue this one over mega luc but definitely still a strong mon overall and depending on the comp, you can definitely run this over mega luc, just needs more support to be successful.
:iron-valiant: - Booster Energy should be alright. Still the tier's only good special attacker too.
:kommo-o: - This will require more testing but it still has its Z move, which is usually one of Fighting's best wincons. It's just more power crept when the average speed tier skyrockets and there's more consistent wincons on the type.
:zamazenta: - This one has an item slot and it's fast.

C Rank (niche)
:iron-hands: - I don't think Iron Hands is too necessary honestly, if you want a bulky fighting type, Arceus is there for that role.
:pheromosa: - Hard to justify a slot for this one, no defensive utility at all and there's superior options if you want a fast pivot.
:zamazenta-crowned: - The nerf to its ability hits this one a lot harder than its Hero forme. It's bulky don't get me wrong but like I still wouldn't use it all that much.

D Rank (Do not use)
:blaziken: - Just got banned and you know, mega exists.
:medicham-mega: - Better megas.
Everything else.

Fire
:ho-oh::blaziken-mega::arceus::chi-yu::torkoal::cinderace:

Shame you cannot utilise the beast that is Primal Groudon but you got Ho-oh, one of the best defensive mons despite its crippling rocks weakness and strong breakers if you're able to get sun up. Mega Blaziken is also a solid wincon with SD Speed Boost and specs Chi-yu is the Blissey killer.

S Rank (The Best)
:ho-oh: - Definitely a necessary component of any Fire team. Regen + bulk + offensive potential makes it the best option.

A Rank (Solid mons)
:arceus: - I have a bit more to say regarding Arceus on fire. It can't really pull off a defensive set as well as other formes due to its rocks weakness but offensive sets are strong with Z move potential in sun.
:blaziken-mega: - Best mega and a strong wincon.
:chi-yu: - Also another strong breaker.
:cinderace: - I think if you want to maintain hazard control, Cinderace is one of the best options for that and Libero is a good ability.
:ninetales: / :torkoal: - Drought mons. Kinda need one of them.

:charizard-mega-y: / :charizard-mega-x: - X can be a threatening sweeper while Y can make you team compress to force you not to slot the other Drought mons but obviously, hazard removal has to be good.
:reshiram: - Way better on Fire than Dragon but still nothing crazy, its biggest issue will always be its speed.
:victini: - Banded V-create goes crazy.
:volcanion: - Water immunity + another removal option
:volcarona: - I think bulky volc is better in this format and is still decent.

C Rank (niche)
:blaziken: - Could definitely make this work if you decide to go Zard Y but yeah, Mega blaze outclasses.
:iron-moth: - Booster Energy + Agility probably is decent but sounds kinda high effort when there's better wincons on the type.

D Rank (Do not use)
Everything else

Ghost
:arceus::houndstone::flutter-mane::dragapult::froslass::annihilape:

With the offensive power that Ghost possesses, how could I not go Froslass suicide lead HO? Flutter Mane and Dragapult are some of the fastest mons in the game and DD Pult is very threatening with a boost. Arceus-Ghost also has good natural bulk and can find situations to set up easily. Shadow Force is also one of the moves of all time and Houndstone Last Respects is still as strong as ever.

S Rank (The Best)
:arceus: - Very strong offensively. Could definitely experiment with a balance Ghost build with Rocks on this.
:flutter-mane: - Giving this thing Booster back is a good idea indeed. Also just hard to switch into.

A Rank (Solid mons)
:dragapult: - Fast and Ghostium-Z DD is still strong here.
:houndstone: - Funny Last Respects button.
:lunala: - Versatile and with Shadow Shield enables it to do a lot.
:spectrier: - No Calyrex-Shadow so Spectrier it is. Improvement of coverage options makes this mon a lot better.

:annihilape: - Annihilape is definitely strong but I don't think it's on the same level as the A ranks.
:froslass: - As a suicide lead, gets the job done.
:giratina: - Purely speculation but I feel like defensive Ghost teams definitely want to use this.
:sableye-mega: - Similar reasoning to Giratina.
:zoroark-hisui: - This mon is only B tier because of the Ghost mirror. Otherwise it's pretty below average.

C Rank (niche)
:gholdengo: - Gholdengo will definitely work on hazard stacking teams to block Defog and Flying will not appreciate that but outside of that, not much else.
:giratina-origin: - There's like zero appeal to using this imo. Its other form has greater bulk and offensively, it's simply outclassed by most other offensive mons. Its niche is mostly being a mixed attacker, which I can't say anything else on Ghost is capable of doing.
:mimikyu: - I feel like I'm reaching with this one but Disguise on HO can definitely save you from something at least once.

D Rank (Do not use)
:necrozma-dawn-wings: - Imagine a Lunala that just doesn't do Lunala things. Doesn't have Shadow Shield and is just slower. Prism Armor is not saving you from Knock Off. Shame really because this mon is still a Necrozma and has the movepool to do things, it's just not worth it.
Everything else

I spent too much time on this.

As this sample submission is a bit outdated, the National Dex Ubers Council has decided to open the doors for new samples! Please message anyone on the council for further information or sample submissions. All types are welcomed!

Elvira

formerly bruised
Today the NDM Community came together for a CCAT! Held on April 19th 7pm-4.

The poll provided both regular NDM with Z-Moves and Mega pokemon along with the new found Z-Less NDM without Z-Crystals. The community spent a good majority of the week brawling on the poll and came together to sit down and focus on Mega-Aerodactyl Flying (Regular NDM).

I'd love to thank Ultrasadhere, boomp, bigpapa0of, NoahTheGreat64, and The_Gh0st_Shadow for being active as well as others who may have had to leave early or couldn't stay long. You all are fantastic.

This team provides a lot of bulk versus its weaknesses such as electric, ice, and dragon for kyurem. Tweak to your discretion or even use it on ladder and reply here with replays! Enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)