Tournament National Dex Grand Slam III - Playoffs

Eledyr

Le vilain petit Wooloo
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
Translations Leader
thread mostly inspired by Finchinator's Grand Slam playoffs post
Congratulations to all 8 of you that made it to the third National Dex Grand Slam playoffs! Before moving on to the pairings, I'd like to thank Tico, Bka Onon, Dorron, and velvet for being fantastic hosts, as well as Kaede for making this whole tournament possible, and Kris for the final standings. This tournament was only possible due to your help and we're fortunate to have you all.

With that said, here is the list of people who qualified and their respective seed:

1- JustFranco - 23 points (92.31%)
2- Ryuji - 18 points (78.57%)
3- LBN - 18 points (76.92%)
4- Banbadoro - 16 points (75.0%)
5- ToasterBoi420 - 15 points (88.89%)
6- TBIC106 - 14 points (72.73%)
7- Gangsta Spongebob - 13 points (77.78%)
8- entrocefalo - 12 points (100%)

Round 1:
1- JustFranco vs. 8- entrocefalo
2- Ryuji vs. 7- Gangsta Spongebob
3- LBN vs. 6- TBIC106
4- Banbadoro vs. 5- ToasterBoi420

Round 2:
4- Banbadoro vs. 8- entrocefalo
3- LBN vs. 7- Gangsta Spongebob

Round 3 (Finals):
7- Gangsta Spongebob vs. 8- entrocefalo

All sets will be Bo3 with the higher seed getting to choose the first tier to be played in a set while the loser picks the next one. Deadline will be Wednesday, September 13th at 10 PM GMT-4.

Last edited:

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
I'll be honest, I didn't intend to make a post like this, but Slam playoffs taking 3 weeks to drop on the wednesday before NDPL is frankly a mess. I don't know why it got forgotten and mistakes happen I get that, but unfortunately with NDPL on the horizon I'd be surprised if half of the people here are even gonna try w their prep. And that's really sad because it had the perfect allotted time to finish before NDPL to get some high quality games in but naw.

If that was the only issue here it'd be tolerable but a sheet for standing not existing for the entirety of the tour is also very lame. Now I don't know why that hadn't been made from the very start, (including circuit which also still does not have a sheet either, not even like not up to date it just doesn't exist) but hey. This message isn't directed at anybody specifically, and also not meant to be an ass to anybody but i really only have one thing to really say.

Do it better next time

Steorra

nya smells
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Discord Leader
I'll be honest, I didn't intend to make a post like this, but Slam playoffs taking 3 weeks to drop on the wednesday before NDPL is frankly a mess. I don't know why it got forgotten and mistakes happen I get that, but unfortunately with NDPL on the horizon I'd be surprised if half of the people here are even gonna try w their prep. And that's really sad because it had the perfect allotted time to finish before NDPL to get some high quality games in but naw.

If that was the only issue here it'd be tolerable but a sheet for standing not existing for the entirety of the tour is also very lame. Now I don't know why that hadn't been made from the very start, (including circuit which also still does not have a sheet either, not even like not up to date it just doesn't exist) but hey. This message isn't directed at anybody specifically, and also not meant to be an ass to anybody but i really only have one thing to really say.

Do it better next time
we do have a sheet for the circuit. For Gslam our original sheeter got busy and we could not find a new one for a while.
Frankly im not familiar with sheeting but it looks like a ton of work and im honestly surprised at anyone willing to take it on in the first place especially for sheeting multiple tours at once. Do better is just insulting to us yes we would ideally like a sheet its not like we dont care but if it comes late into the year or a slight delay due to other commitments of sheeters it just be like that, there's not much we can do besides wait.

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
we do have a sheet for the circuit. For Gslam our original sheeter got busy and we could not find a new one for a while.
Yeah I found out after making my post that the official NDOU circuit sheet actually did exist, it was locatable in the NDOMS discord. Not in the circuit tournament schedule thread, not in the OU discord (to my knowledge, but considering a lot of NDUU players who also play OU didn't know about it either I'm willing to bet it isn't there either), none of the places you'd expect to find it. Considering a huge amount of people in the NDUU discord did not know it existed until today when a friend happened to find it in the OMs cord, I think that's an issue. I can accept the Grand Slam sheeter getting busy that's fine I'm not going to lose any sleep over that and I'm fully aware it's a large amount of work, but some form of communication on the matter would've gone a long way to making people aware and more understanding of what happened, instead of what we ended up with.

Insulting anybody was not my goal when I made my post, and if you took it that way I apologize, but I stand by the overall message I was trying to convey, which was Slam being as late as it was. Considering how little NDUU / NDRU get to shine, having probably their biggest tour of the year get shafted like really does hurt the tier's prospects.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader

Do it better next time
I won't lie it irks me to see a post that tells our contributors to "do better next time" when it was basically something out of their control. I completely understand your concerns: yes it sucks that we didn't get a sheet during Grand Slam, yes it sucks that there was little communication about what was happening, but on the other hand I'd like to put emphasis that all of this is volunteer work. All of this exist because people dedicated time and effort to it - spreadsheeting in particular being a tedious task.

Now, I get that your post is not intended to be disingenuous towards contributors' work, but on the other hand I have to sympathize with Kaede's post: it often feels like that when you are contributing to this website in general, no one really cares about as long as everything goes smoothly, and as soon as something goes wrong you'll always get people ready to tell you to "do better" (if not outright shit on you), and this is something that made myself consider stepping down more than once.

Yes, maybe things could have been done better, but they did what they could do, and I will never blame anyone for giving the priority to IRL business getting in the way over the work they do for free for a Pokemon website.

"Do it better next time"... rofl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)