Resource Natdex OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

I'm trying to use Ash's Journeys team/Masters 8 team for "the meme" atm but I'm bewildered by the fact it can't use it. Fundamentally Pikachu-World is the same as the other capped Pikachus and therefore should be able to use the move with the proper Z-Crystal. It should be a matter of just making it compatible with it the same way the other ones are. Despite 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt not existing in Gen 8, it should still have access to it via Z-Crystal the same way the other Cap Pikachus are able to given its status as a novelty Pokemon identical to the others. It's literally a Pikachu in a hat, it should be able to use it regardless
Yes, but since Pikachu-World is a different form (I think, it has a separate page on the strategy dex), it isn't able to use the "removed" 100000 volt thunderbolt.

Yes, but since Pikachu-World is a different form (I think, it has a separate page on the strategy dex), it isn't able to use the "removed" 100000 volt thunderbolt.
i'd also like to note in the NatDex format, Galarian Slowbro is able to Mega Evolve into Mega Slowbro despite Mega Stones being "removed" from gen 8. it shouldn't be able to, but it is

if that's the case i don't see any reason why pikachu-world can't use pikashunium z

edit: added replay for galarian slowbro mega evolving

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexag-1613269136

i'd also like to note in the NatDex format, Galarian Slowbro is able to Mega Evolve into Mega Slowbro despite Mega Stones being "removed" from gen 8. it shouldn't be able to, but it is

if that's the case i don't see any reason why pikachu-world can't use pikashunium z

edit: added replay for galarian slowbro mega evolving

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexag-1613269136
Galarian slowbro cannot mega evolve. I believe that is a bug.

EDIT: The showdown bug report page says it isn't a bug. My bad.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...t-before-posting.3663703/page-65#post-9023371

Last edited:
Why is nat dex waiting on the hisui mon to be able to be moved to home before being available on the format? What about home availability makes it worthwhile as a marker to add them?

Steorra

nya smells
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Discord Leader
Why is nat dex waiting on the hisui mon to be able to be moved to home before being available on the format? What about home availability makes it worthwhile as a marker to add them?
National Dex is based on SS OU in a sense so we'd basically be waiting on the hisui mons/moves/features to be transferred to SWSH b4 adopting them to our metagame. Additionally it more or less collides with our current identity if we were to implement them.

Ok: Would this make a decent NatDex core:

RIPQueenEliza (Weavile) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

A True Dragon (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Scorching Sands
- Roost

The Advisor (Corviknight) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Sulo

pure heroine
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Ok: Would this make a decent NatDex core:

RIPQueenEliza (Weavile) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

A True Dragon (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Scorching Sands
- Roost

The Advisor (Corviknight) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
Weavile and Mega Charizard Y are a very common pairing, but you're more likely to get results with a Defogger like Kartana that greatly appreciates the support that Weavile and Zard-Y bring to the table for it.

Weavile and Mega Charizard Y are a very common pairing, but you're more likely to get results with a Defogger like Kartana that greatly appreciates the support that Weavile and Zard-Y bring to the table for it.
I actually have kartana on the team, just not as a defogger. Im running a normalium z set on it, but maybe replace swords dance? idk, here is moveset:

KNIGHT (Kartana) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Giga Impact

Also thx

Sulo

pure heroine
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
I actually have kartana on the team, just not as a defogger. Im running a normalium z set on it, but maybe replace swords dance? idk, here is moveset:

KNIGHT (Kartana) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Giga Impact

Also thx
in that case you can probably just make the hazard removal something like tapu fini > corv

Why does Smeargle have access to Gen 8 moves despite not being in Gen 8? It would've needed to have some legitimate way of sketching those moves from Gen 8 Pokémon, which is simply not possible iirc.
This is a national dex format, meaning everything is made on the assumption that pokemon can be traded from gen 8 to gen 7 and vice verse. If you could do that, then you could make a smeargle learn any gen 8 move

Kyo

In Limbo
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
National Dex Leader
Why does Smeargle have access to Gen 8 moves despite not being in Gen 8? It would've needed to have some legitimate way of sketching those moves from Gen 8 Pokémon, which is simply not possible iirc.
As of Gen 7, the way that sketch works allows Smeargle to learn any move in the game. This includes moves that will fail upon use such as Dark Void because the user is not a Darkrai. Knowing that sketch can apply to any move, even those without any functional purpose whatsoever, it's reasonable to assume that Sketch would work with all new moves implemented in Gen 8. Hidden power on the other hand is not comparable. Although it's generally treated as a move that any pokemon can learn by default, there's actually a pretty sizable list of mons that can't learn hidden power (Caterpie, Metapod, Weedle, Kakuna, Magikarp, Ditto, Wobbuffet, Wurmple, Silcoon, Cascoon, Wynaut, Beldum, Kricketot, Combee, and Tynamo). Even though something like Hatterene probably would have hidden power in its movepool, there's not enough of a basis here to make that assumption and add it in the NatDex format.

Sulo

pure heroine
National Dex Leader
Are nat dex formats coming to scarlet and violet?
Presumably, yes. It will probably take some time and we're going to have to adapt to tera mechanics and all that, but I think there's a really solid chance we'll have NatDex next generation. No reason for us not to, of course.

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Are nat dex formats coming to scarlet and violet?
Presumably, yes. It will probably take some time and we're going to have to adapt to tera mechanics and all that, but I think there's a really solid chance we'll have NatDex next generation. No reason for us not to, of course.
There will be. (IIRC) TPCI has confirmed that Z-moves will never be returning, so unless there is a huge shift in the direction they want to go, they are a Gen 7 exclusive item. Thus, no matter what, while the national dex may return (though this is unlikley), Z-moves will not, and there will likely be a need for a format with Z-Moves.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)