Resource Natdex OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

This thread is for simple questions that need relatively simple answers. Quote the question you are answering to help keep things organized. If you were considering making a thread to ask "Why was Calyrex-Shadow banned???" or "Was Electric Terrain nerfed?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here.

With the release of the Crown Tundra, how long do you think should we wait until we bring up any potential suspects? I've noticed a lot of people complaining about Regieleki today.
The National Dex metagame did not change up drastically, so a potential suspect test is likely not out of the pretty immediate picture. That said, I do not think you will get far arguing for a Pokemon that is unconditionally walled by Ground-types to be suspect tested, but feel free to give it a shot if you think you can put together a solid argument!

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone even think the meta has changed that much to where I should delete my old teams.
The metagame hasn't really changed from pre-dlc to now. None of the Pokemon we got are really going to make a big splash in my opinion and every Pokemon right now is probably in the same state of viability as they were pre-dlc other than stuff that got buffed in movepool, Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Latias especially are the big ones.

The National Dex metagame did not change up drastically, so a potential suspect test is likely not out of the pretty immediate picture. That said, I do not think you will get far arguing for a Pokemon that is unconditionally walled by Ground-types to be suspect tested, but feel free to give it a shot if you think you can put together a solid argument!
Never said that I was against it (though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't upset about getting smacked by Rising Voltage repeatedly). And I'm well aware its coverage is pretty "meh". At this point, I'm pretty sure whoever is complaining either doesn't have a Ground mon or is not recognizing Lando-T's potential to wall the electric orb of doom.

Avery

Banned deucer.
Out of curiosity, what will be the subject of the future suspect test mentioned here? Is this one of the July 4th quickbans, one of the Pokemon already usable in the format (I'm thinking of Cinderace in particular) or another Uber mon that hasn't been tested here yet?
Hello,

The suspect test that was alluded to does not concern any of the remaining four Pokémon quickbanned in this post. The Pokémon in question is also presently useable in the National Dex OU format, and as such is not an Uber. I will refrain from mentioning the specific Pokémon by name as details are not finalized yet; however, the details should be sorted out soon and such a suspect test should be expected in the near future.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Two questions:
-Out of pure curiosity, what are the details that need to be finalized when you're preparing a suspect test? (I'm referring to the previous post) In other words, how does the council prepare a suspect test, and what is needed to be done?

-About viability rankings, according to which criterias a mon is or isn't good enough to be ranked? What's the minimum it needs to be ranked?

If a mon is usable only in a very specific kind of team with a specific kind of support (for example, trick room or some niche stall teams), should it be listed or not?

Reactions: tf

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Two questions:
-Out of pure curiosity, what are the details that need to be finalized when you're preparing a suspect test? (I'm referring to the previous post) In other words, how does the council prepare a suspect test, and what is needed to be done?

-About viability rankings, according to which criterias a mon is or isn't good enough to be ranked? What's the minimum it needs to be ranked?

If a mon is usable only in a very specific kind of team with a specific kind of support (for example, trick room or some niche stall teams), should it be listed or not?
Hey there!

1. As the metagame develops, the council looks at things that might be unhealthy or broken for the state of the tier. We will generally note this in a Council Minutes post. If the issues don’t seem to have answers developed for them in time, then we will plan for a suspect test.

2. If a Pokemon has a suitable niche within the tier, then it will be ranked. Generally, an explanation of decent depth on the role of the Pokemon alongside mandatory replays will put it on the VR slate, where it will get voted on by the council. A Pokemon whose niche is tied to one playstyle ties it to that playstyle’s vability. For example, if a Pokemon is to be ranked for its prowess on Trick Room (say Glastrier or Stakataka), then one would have to prove that TR is a viable playstyle in the tier. This applies to most pure offense or defense structures, and its why you see things like Moltres ranked.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Hey there!

1. As the metagame develops, the council looks at things that might be unhealthy or broken for the state of the tier. We will generally note this in a Council Minutes post. If the issues don’t seem to have answers developed for them in time, then we will plan for a suspect test.

2. If a Pokemon has a suitable niche within the tier, then it will be ranked. Generally, an explanation of decent depth on the role of the Pokemon alongside mandatory replays will put it on the VR slate, where it will get voted on by the council. A Pokemon whose niche is tied to one playstyle ties it to that playstyle’s vability. For example, if a Pokemon is to be ranked for its prowess on Trick Room (say Glastrier or Stakataka), then one would have to prove that TR is a viable playstyle in the tier. This applies to most pure offense or defense structures, and its why you see things like Moltres ranked.
Hello there!
1.Yeah but when you already know which mon you're gonna suspect, what is the council doing? I assume that you already knew that you wanted to suspect pult, but you took some time to pull that suspect. Don't get me wrong, i don't complain about the timing or anything, i was just wondering if there was some specific things the council needed to do before doing the suspect thread, or if they just needed to make sure everything was okay or something.
Thank you for the answers! Have a nice day

Soo, why is Shaymin-Sky banned from national dex?
The combination of Air Slash + Serene Grace is pretty infamous for allowing a Pokemon to flinch past just about any check. Combined with Shaymin-Sky's high Speed and access to Seed Flare to drop a potential check's Special Defense by 2 stages 80% of the time, it becomes ridiculously hard to deal with. It has access to Earth Power for Steel-types too, so even if you did not get haxed down,,, Shaymin-Sky is the perfect example of what happens if Jirachi and Togekiss were taken to a whole other level.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
For the mons that will be looked at after the ace suspect what are they gonna be
Going to answer the question I am more familiar with.

As for your second question, we already have an idea of how we are going to suspect things and its been posted in Council Minutes by Jordy already. The link for that is right here. This is all of course assuming that nothing else problematic comes up that the community wants us to deal with since this is a plan that can very easily change in the future depending on the state of the metagame at that point in time.

Zneon

uh oh
Is double dance or Focus Blast Reuniclus better in the current meta?
I find the standard CM set on Reuniclus better because its more consistent and needs less support to function, whereas with double dance you need to find a way to get rid of stuff like Ash-Greninja, Mega Tyranitar and Weavile, so basically residual damage from rocks, Spikes or TSpikes and Toxic otherwise your boosts won't matter since they will just wall you anyway and even just crit through your boosts. With CM + Focus Blast you don't need to worry about that since none of them want to actually switch into Reuniclus because of it.

Is Curse Snorlax viable in National Dex?
Not really, as it gets halted by stuff like Haze Toxapex, Unaware Clefable, etc., and is too frail on the physical side to comfortably stomach attacks from other common mons like Mega Medicham, Landorus-T, Kartana. etc. as they can boost faster than it and remove it with super effective or SD-boosted moves, especially if they have Z-moves. Rest + Sleep Talk is also unreliable and a huge momentum drain. If you want a different and viable sweeper to build around, use the National Dex OU viability Rankings Thread, Cores Thread, and Set Compendium to help you out.

National Dex Doubles is not going to be considered by the Doubles community either, so please don't bother the leaders. Neither the National Dex or Doubles community has the resources needed to effectively host a National Dex Doubles metagame. There are not enough people interested in leading it, nor is there a big enough request. This decision will stand until further notice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)