SM OU Mynior and a happy new year

It's actually been quite a long time since I did one of these team previews, and this is for a team I made quite some time ago and I can't quite remember why I put each member onto it, but I do remember that the team did win a few matches and I had some fun with it, so I'll be trying to retrace my steps as I go through the different Pokemon.

Minior-Orange @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash

This was the starting point of the team. The typical Shell Smash Minior, with Acrobatics and Stone Edge for STAB, and Earthquake for the coverage, it definitely packs a punch when chunking opponent's Pokemon and acts as a decent late game sweeper.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast

Autotomize Celesteela is one of the most fun Pokemon I've ever had the pleasure of using, while regular Leech Seed Celesteela is one of the most annoying Pokemon I've ever had the displeasure of playing against. I believe I have it to deal with Tapu Lele and Tapu Bulu...? I'm forget, but when has Celesteela not worked out for anyone? Air Slash and Flash Cannon for STAB, and Fire Blast for dealing with the Steel types that may switch in.

Marowak-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bonemerang
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Will-O-Wisp

Ok this was an obvious team member. Support Alolan Marowak (and Alolan Marowak in general) is one of my favourite Pokemon of the new generation, with max special defense to deal with Tapu Lele and HP Ground from Tapu Koko. It can take the Electric type moves for Celesteela and Minior, among many other resistances. Leftovers for recovery, Will-o-wisp to cripple physical attackers, Bonemerang for Tapu Koko and Magnezone, Flare Blitz and Shadow Bone for STAB.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

My favourite (and cutest) Tapu. Choice Scarf Tapu Lele deals with faster threats and more offensive teams. Psychic does HELLA damage, Moonblast for the alternative STAB you will nearly never use unless they have a Dark type, Shadow ball for coverage, although Thunderbolt is a good alternative, and Hidden power Fire for those Scizors that think it's ok to switch in and set up.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Scald
- Reflect Type

I look at this team, I see too many problems with Stealth Rocks. Thus we have the Rocks remover Starmie. The general Support Starmie, Scald is still good despite nerfs to burn, but use Surf if you want the extra power, Recover to gain back HP, and Reflect Type because... Smogon told me to...? That's a pretty bad reason, so switch it out for an alternative if you think it fits better.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Sash Lead Swine for Rocks and to deal damage. If you ever are in need for the priority to kill off those Pokemon in the red, Ice Shard can do just that, and Icicle Crash and Earthquake for the main STAB. This will be your lead almost every time, but do play with caution.

And that's the team! I still don't remember why I have Celesteela, but that said I just swept a team with just it, aaannd OH CRAP IT WAS FOR DECIDUEYE!! Thats why... well in any case, if you have any criticism with the team, leave it below. I'll try to look through as much as I can. Thanks for reading and I hope you all have a great new year!

For easy copy and paste:
Minior-Orange @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast

Marowak-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bonemerang
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Will-O-Wisp

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Scald
- Reflect Type

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

I really suggest you run Life Orb and Adamant on Mamoswine (just bluff the sash) and Psyshock on Lele if you want to have even the slightest chance of beating sableye stall.

Starmie, Marowak-A and Celesteela all have Leftovers as their item choice. I don't believe you can use all 3 of them with item clause on?

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Starmie, Marowak-A and Celesteela all have Leftovers as their item choice. I don't believe you can use all 3 of them with item clause on?
Smogon doesn't enforce item clause in its main metagames (anything that ends with the letter 'U', ubers, and LC). If this were a Battle Spot team then yes, it would be invalid. But it's a SM OU team.

I would have an attack- or speed-raising berry instead of white herb on minior, -1def doesn't really make a difference with 50 base defence and <50% healthy but some additional hitting power or speed is always nice

I really suggest you run Life Orb and Adamant on Mamoswine (just bluff the sash) and Psyshock on Lele if you want to have even the slightest chance of beating sableye stall.
Interesting point on the Mamoswine, but whether I would choose more power over reliable rocks is questionable. It probably works better higher up in the ladder, so I'll give it a shot. Psyshock on Lele is a cool idea, I've never really seen Psyshock on Lele before. Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably try out some of the ideas.

PS: I've really enjoyed the Trick Room team with Drampa that you posted on Joey's feed, as well as your Choice Scarf Decidueye team! Keep up the cool work! :)

I think Focus Sash on Minior is better than White Herb (your minior may be killed lot of times)
Interesting point, but so far, OHKOing Minior with a non-sweeper type Pokemon (cuz you wouldn't just send in your Minior on that under normal circumstances) is actually pretty tough. But who knows? I'll probably try it out when it happens to me!

I would have an attack- or speed-raising berry instead of white herb on minior, -1def doesn't really make a difference with 50 base defence and <50% healthy but some additional hitting power or speed is always nice
It makes a difference in Minior before it's ability activates. Minior is relatively bulky beforehand, and if the Pokemon you're facing doesn't manage to outspeed it or it just switched in, the -1 in defenses actually can make the difference between an attack that puts you in the yellow or even red, and an attack that straight up kills you. I'm not too optimistic about this strategy, but it can work in certain situations. We'll just have to see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)