My Gen 5 OU Team!

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
I have been playing with this team for quite some time and have found moderate success (1621 rank which I know isn't spectacular). Thanks in advance.

Feraligatr @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
This is my early sweeper, I like to lead with him when I'm not facing a Politoed or Rotom-W. Waterfall for STAB, EQ and Ice Punch for type coverage. I like DD over SD because I think the speed is important, but I could be proven wrong. Mostly here because he's my fav pokemon but if I can set up he is nearly unstoppable. A lot of people around the area of the ladder that I'm in don't know what to expect when they're facing Feraligatr and usually just set up rocks and switch out letting me get off two free Dragon Dances, I don't know how well this will work higher up in the ladder though.

Venusaur @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Gentle Nature
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
I like Venusaur because it handles Rotom-W well and the EQ can surprise some people. This is definitely the weakest link though. This guy is a good Poke to lead off with when you're facing a Politoed rain-team because a lot of the time people think that an Ice Beam can take it out but instead they get a huge chunk of their health eliminated by Giga Drain and I heal off most of the damage they dealt. I don't use Sleep-Powder a whole lot so it is something that I could get rid of, I used to use Synthesis on this set as well but it didn't really do anything so I'm not entirely sure what to put in that last slot.

Skarmory @ Flying Gem
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
Gets out rocks easy and Whirlwind takes care of most sweepers that are trying to set up. Also, Flying Gem Brave Bird covers a lot of pokes IMO. Can basically eliminate the threat of Outrage users like Garchomp, Salamence and Dragonite by using Roost until they are confused and forced to switch out. Breeloom, Infernape, Conkledurr and other fighting types are OHKOED by the Flying Gem Brave Bird as well (although usually Infernape carries Focus Sash which is why I find it hard for my team to counter this Poke).

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Zen Headbutt
This guy deals a lot of damage with Meteor Mash and is my back-up rocks user. A great counter to Jirachi, Latios and Latias. It can also usually deal a nice chunk of damage to Blissey with Meteor Mash. I understand that Metagross is a little bit outclassed at this point but I really don't know what would be better suited so suggestions for that would be appreciated.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Toxic
Ruins sun teams and usually gets a lot of pokes poisoned. I can switch this into a Ferrothorn, Forretress, Ninetales and Volcarona and just use Subsitute to either get a free Toxic off or a Fire Blast to just hurt something. The Air Balloon set makes it a bit more of a one time use guy but usually (unless I want to save him for Ferrothorn) that's all I need out of him. I've seen Will O' Wisp used on a lot of sets as well and I think that might be better suited because of all of the Steel types in OU and also because of the attack drop it gives. My only issue with the move is that it misses 50% of the time when it is used against me and Toxic is pretty reliable.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
Regular Blissey but with Ice Beam to take care of Dragonite and Garchomp. This guy lets me take out faster pokes with T-Wave and is a Poke that can absorb nearly anything. Sometimes used to absorb Outrages and then stall the into confusion with Softboiled (if Skarmory isn't available). Obviously this is a pretty standard defensive Blissey that is a big part of my team. I didn't use this guy as a healer because I tend to be able to predict status moves and Blissey herself can absorb and nullify said status moves with Natural Cure anyway.

Basically I'm open to any constructive criticisms or suggestions. The biggest threat to this team is probably Infernape since if I don't get it early with Feraligatr or T-wave him with Blissey I'm screwed. I also have a hard time countering Sub-Gyarados.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to smogon,

1. Feraligatr isnt too good out of rain and its dragon dance set isnt good in ou, i would recomend changing it to dragon dance dragonite
2. Change skarmory's item to leftovers as flying gem is not needed.
3. Venusaur isnt good out of sun teams, you also need a revenge killer and a strong special attacker, so change venasaur to scarf keldeo.
4. On heatran, change sub for roar. (possibly earth power to protect)
5. You dont need 2 stealth rockers and metagross isnt needed, instead, use a wall breaker, specs latias.

Otherwise it is good for a 1st team

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Welcome to smogon,

1. Feraligatr isnt too good out of rain and its dragon dance set isnt good in ou, i would recomend changing it to dragon dance dragonite
2. Change skarmory's item to leftovers as flying gem is not needed.
3. Venusaur isnt good out of sun teams, you also need a revenge killer and a strong special attacker, so change venasaur to scarf keldeo.
4. On heatran, change sub for roar. (possibly earth power to protect)
5. You dont need 2 stealth rockers and metagross isnt needed, instead, use a wall breaker, specs latias.

Otherwise it is good for a 1st team
Thanks for the rate.
1. Like I said, I've met with great success using the DD set over the SD set on Feraligatr in OU, there isn't really much of a change between the two sets and I find that the speed boost allows me to outspeed possible threats and the attack boost that is only slightly less than SD will allow me to eliminate threats. Dragonite doesn't really counter the same things and I would need to know what DD set you're talking about on that Poke. Also changing Feraligatr to Dragonite and Metagross to Latias will make me vulnerable to different threats. Tl;dr I don't completely agree with this suggestion.

2. With Roost I can already heal off damage and Flying Orb allows me to OHKO some common OU Pokes, I don't really see why Leftovers would be better on this Skarmory.

3. I completely agree that Venusaur doesn't really help my team and doesn't really do much out of the sun, Keldeo will help me take care of the Infernape weakness on my team and I have used the Scarf set on my rain team and it is a really good Poke. I think I'll make the switch (could you give me two other moves other than Secret Sword and a water STAB move though?)

4. Having Roar and Whirlwind would be a bit redundant, I also don't really see what Protect would help me with. Could you explain?

5. I agree I'll try out Specs Latias. Could you give me any suggestions for a set?

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the rate.
1. Like I said, I've met with great success using the DD set over the SD set on Feraligatr in OU, there isn't really much of a change between the two sets and I find that the speed boost allows me to outspeed possible threats and the attack boost that is only slightly less than SD will allow me to eliminate threats. Dragonite doesn't really counter the same things and I would need to know what DD set you're talking about on that Poke. Also changing Feraligatr to Dragonite and Metagross to Latias will make me vulnerable to different threats. Tl;dr I don't completely agree with this suggestion.

2. With Roost I can already heal off damage and Flying Orb allows me to OHKO some common OU Pokes, I don't really see why Leftovers would be better on this Skarmory.

3. I completely agree that Venusaur doesn't really help my team and doesn't really do much out of the sun, Keldeo will help me take care of the Infernape weakness on my team and I have used the Scarf set on my rain team and it is a really good Poke. I think I'll make the switch (could you give me two other moves other than Secret Sword and a water STAB move though?)

4. Having Roar and Whirlwind would be a bit redundant, I also don't really see what Protect would help me with. Could you explain?

5. I agree I'll try out Specs Latias. Could you give me any suggestions for a set?
(i meant latios sorry)
Latios @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Talk / Surf

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Surf / Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Bug]
(if running surf run hp ice, if running icy wind, use hp bug), Hp bug is to hit celebii and lati@s.

I do like gatr, but out of rain it just isnt strong enough and its dd sets are out classed. If you dont like dnite, then run dd gyarados as it gets same coverage except it is stronger, slightly faster (important for outspeeding mamo/cloyster/loom at +0), and much better abilities

The things skarm needs flying gem wont be staying in exept maybe nape:
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 284-336 (96.59 - 114.28%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Flying Gem Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 426-504 (144.89 - 171.42%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It isnt needed as if you get min damage, it would have died from flare blitz recoil/life orb.

Also with heatran, you should be running lava plume over fire blast as it is defensive and sub isnt useful for defensive, roar is nicer for getting more srocks damage and predicted switch ins. I dont like protect either, but it isnt bad for scouting

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
OK, I've added Latios and Keldeo and have give Heatran Lava Plume and Roar. You'll be surprised what stays in on Skarm though, I get what you're saying and you're right about it not needed for Infernape but it just gives it more coverage and can OHKO any fighting Poke just testing this team in 3 separate matches I OHKOED a Breeloom, Conkledurr and Toxicroak. I like Gyarados and it is stronger than Feraligatr but it doesn't have as much coverage and is much more predictable. Thanks for your rate and I think it has really made the team better!

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
So this is what my team is looking like after the great suggestions by anty208! Please feel free to rate some more. So far with this team I've lost 1 match in the 13-15 I've played!

Feraligatr @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Skarmory @ Flying Gem
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Secret Sword
- Surf
- X-Scissor
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Toxic

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

Get rid of gator. If you want a water type, use rotom wash. Also, replace ice beam with toxic on blissey, or give her sub to stall.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Feraligatr and Rotom-W might check similar things but they are used for two different purposes. I wouldn't put both T-Wave and Toxic on Blissey since it would be pretty redundant and sub Blissey? As far as I know that is not at all viable; if you want to show me the set you're thinking of though I'd consider it.

Feraligatr and Rotom-W might check similar things but they are used for two different purposes. I wouldn't put both T-Wave and Toxic on Blissey since it would be pretty redundant and sub Blissey? As far as I know that is not at all viable; if you want to show me the set you're thinking of though I'd consider it.
Than don't use t wave on blissey. Toxic and aromatherapy/wish. Replace gator with dragonite.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
I prefer T-Wave over Toxic because Blissey can come in and debilitate potential sweepers and threats before they have the chance to strike; also the over abundance of steel types in Gen 5 OU hurts how useful Toxic is. I already have Toxic on Heatran as well. On the Dragonite point, if you read the above posts that was already suggested and discussed. As for the Wish and Aromatherapy, I might consider Aromatherapy and test it out but my Blissey is more of a defensive tank that can still deal damage to potential threats rather than a cleric.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi there! It's a nice team you have here. From what I can see, it works by wearing down the opponent for Feraligatr and Latios to sweep.

Firstly, Blissey seems very out of place on your team. It's only purpose is to act as a cleric with toxic stall and Wish passing. Your Blissey has neither of that. Therefore, I would change Blissey for Specially Defensive Jirachi as it helps to have another Steel-type on the team and also can Wish pass.

Next, Keldeo has no business using X-Scissor. Instead, it should use HP Ghost or HP Bug. I personally prefer HP Ghost as it has perfect coverage with Secret Sword. After that, change HP Ice to Icy Wind which gives it a few important outspeeds.

Some small nitpicks: Your team is slightly walled by Ferrothorn and Steel-types in general, so I would recommend HP Fire over Tbolt on Latios. Also, Protect is slightly better than Substitute on your set.

tl;dr:
Blissey=>
Specially Defensive Jirachi
Keldeo=> HP Ice=> Icy Wind, X-Scissor=> HP Bug/Ghost
Heatran=> Substitute=> Protect
Latios=> Thunderbolt=> HP Fire

Sets:
Code:
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 224 SDef / 252 HP / 32 Spd
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- U-turn / Protect
- Wish

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Icy Wind

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Toxic

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)