My First Competitive Team

Hey everyone. I threw together this team earlier and wanted opinions on it. I haven't really worked out movesets though, so they're pretty standard.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Volt Switch

First off is Forretress. I wanted a pokemon that could set up entry hazards while getting rid of them. I was considering Ferrothorn, but Forretress ultimately won due to the fact that it can learn Rapid Spin.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Next here is Garchomp. I wanted a pokemon that could sweep on my team. This spot in my team was a competition between Alakazam and Garchomp. I figured I would use Garchomp since he can learn moves such as earthquake and whatnot.

Gastrodon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Mirror Coat

Gastrodon was one of the last members I added. I knew I wanted a tank, but I wasn't sure who. Gastrodon and Blissey came to mind, but Gastrodon won. Gastrodon is somewhat of a counter to the common rain team. With it's Storm Drain ability, it can cause some damage to most rain teams.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Gengar was added as a disabler. He's for when people use the same move repeatedly, or just to get rid of powerful moves from the enemy team. Focus blast is also a nice counter for those pesky Ferrothorns that are used so often.

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split/ Hidden Power Ice

Rotom Wash was also a last minute addition. When thinking of a new team member, Rotom Wash came to mind. He's there to get rid of Dragons, and to burn foes who won't faint.

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk/ 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Explosion

When I added Metagross, power was in mind. I wanted a hard hitter that was bulky. I tried to give it a decent variety of moves. I added explosion as a back up plan, just in case he's my last hope against a strong enemy.

So, there it is. This team will likely be changed as I get comments on it. Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sitrus Berry is a big no no on any poke. Try Leftovers or like... a different item. Lefties helps provide reliable recovery throughout the match and allows Gastro and Rotom to survive longer.

Also, why no Stealth Rocks? It is the most important thing in the game. Give it to Forretress over Toxic Spikes.

Your team lacks a fire move, and as such, Scizor, Forretrees, and that spiky punk Ferrothorn lul at your team. Maybe give Metagross Fire Punch.

Speaking of Metagame, give it Life Orb and switch the Speed Evs with HP evs. Also, Fire Punch over say... Explosion. It is not as good as it used to be, and has trouble KOing many threats.

So that is my advice. Hopefully, you will take my suggestions and good luck with the team!

I recommend you to:
1)Change Gastrodon's item to leftovers! :) Also Mirror coat is a somewhat of a weird move (gimmicky I would say) on Gastro but I can see it working!
2)Give forretress Stealth Rocks and get rid of Toxic Spikes!Rocks are a superior choice!! :)
3)I don't really see much use of Explosion on Metagross!Put Psych Up to steal stat boosts or Zen Headbutt...
4)Change the rotom to a choice scarfer with Trick!Your team lacks a lead and a good scarfer and Trick Rotom-W provides both!
5)Now that you gave a scarf to Rotom I suggest you changing the item of Garchomp to either: Lum berry/Leftovers/Yache Berry and change the set to Swords Dance/EQ/Outrage or Dragon Claw/Fire Fang!If you switch this in when the opponent goes with a move that you quite resist or flat out be immune to it you can easily start setting up with SD and go with a sweep! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)