My first attempt for competitive bw2 ou rmt

Team

upload_2013-10-25_18-54-53.jpeg upload_2013-10-25_18-55-10.jpeg upload_2013-10-25_18-55-32.jpeg upload_2013-10-25_18-56-6.jpeg upload_2013-10-25_18-56-25.jpeg upload_2013-10-25_18-56-51.jpeg

Team layout:
upload_2013-10-25_18-54-53.jpeg Mienshao @ Focus band; Trait: Regenerator
Evs: 4 SpD, 252 Atk+ Spe; Nature: Jolly
Moves: U-Turn, Fake out, Drain Punch, Swords Dance
Role: Mienshaos my lead starting every match with a fake out before going with a drain punch or leaving with a u turn, he does his job well (in my opinion) and is always helpful later in the battle as well. The one thing im not sold on is swords dance for although its there i rarely use it and feel it does not go well with his role.

upload_2013-10-25_18-55-10.jpeg Jolteon @ Leftovers; Trait: Volt Absorb
Evs: 4HP, 252 Spe+ SpA; Nature: Timid
Moves: Thunderbolt, Thunderwave, Signal Beam, HP Ice
Role: Jolteon is an interesting one, he helps... but usally ends up fainting rather quickly (although thats probably my fault). I couldent find an item I liked on Jolteon so I just slapped on Leftovers. Any tips on this position would be greatly appriciated

upload_2013-10-25_18-56-25.jpeg Garchomp @ Yache Berry; Rough Skin
Evs: 4HP, 252 Spe+ Atk; Nature: Jolly
Moves: Swords Dance, Outrage, Earthquake, Crunch
Role: Garchomp is an excellent sweeper, I usually put him out on a fire, electric type, etc. to get a swords dance up and ready to start sweeping with outrage. Garchomp is definetly one of my best (if not the best) team members and earns many of my wins. The one thing I was wondering about is changing him so instead of a yache berry i equip him with a choice band, scarf, or lum berry, and if I go with a Choice item swords dance would be pointless.

upload_2013-10-25_18-55-32.jpeg Alakazam @ Focus Sash; Magic Guard
Evs: 4Hp, 252 Spe+ SPa; Nature: Timid
Moves: Psychic, Focus Blast, Signal Beam, HP Ice
Role: Alakazam is probably the most useful member of my team, and i can usually count on him to take out at least 1 and sometimes 2 of my opponents. With his Sash and ability Magic Guard Alakazam is guarented to always take a hit before stricking back with a massive impact. One thing I was thinking could be useful is a quick attack or some attack similar just in case.

upload_2013-10-25_18-56-6.jpeg Volcarona @ Leftovers; Flame Body
Evs: 4HP, 252 Spe+ SPa; Nature: Timid
Moves: Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz, Fiery Dance, Giga Drain
Role: Like Jolteon I couldent find an Item I liked so equiped Volcarona with Leftovers. On the team Volcarona is interesting, sometimes he will go on a rampage sweep with Quiver Dance and other times he faints very quickly without doing much. Im not sure what i should do with him, he is my best answer to Ferrothorn and Scizor, and I dont want to give him (or Jolteon) the pass just yet so..... yeah.

upload_2013-10-25_18-56-51.jpeg Tentacruel @ Black Sludge; Rain Dish
Evs: 16 Spe, 248 Hp, 244 Def; Nature: Timid
Moves: Rapid Spin, Toxic, Scald, Protect
Role: Tentacruel is very good at poisoning the opponent, protecting to lower their Hp, and clearing Hazards for other team members.Tentacruel is probably the best member of my team to take a hit.

So Far on Showdown this team wins about 70-75% of the time.
Remember this was my First attempt for Competitive so all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated (also my first post).

Thanks

Well, in my opinion it's a balanced team with some confusing sets, i usually not suggest any member change cuz many new players like to use some familiar pokemons, i think this is the case (if not, you can allways ask).

At first sight it's confusing, im not saying it's a bad team, in fact other than Miensaho look good, but maybe you want to run different sets for most of your team, i will help you with some of your questions

-Mienshao has you said don't need SD for his propouse
-Jolteon can use Choice spec as item and run Volt switch on the set instead of Thunderwave (you know the speed is in your side with Jolteon itself, Alakazam and Garchomp)
-In Garchomp you can run Life orb, if you're using Leftover you need substitute to set up SD wich is not a bad option
-Volkarona can run a different set, in my opinion you can try Chesto berry with Rest is very good specially if you want a quick recovery after being hit with SR.

note: i didn't deal with Alakazam and Tentacruel cuz they are runing a standar set wich s good in majority of the teams. i really think you can benefit from Jolteon Volt switch for set some SD and QD, good luck and keep it up.

Why would you ever use a Focus Band on anything? Change it to Life Orb, Swords Dance to Stone Edge and Drain Punch to Hi Jump Kick.

Hey there Ze,

Welcome to Smogon and competitive play, mate! Feel free to ask me for help anytime.

On to the rate, I'll just work my way down.

Mienshao has a gifted ability and can go take on some damage because of it. Therefore, you shouldn't fear putting High Jump Kick, and Life orb on it.

You may have also noticed that you are completely walled by the popular Landorus-T and Gliscor, a solution to this is adding HP Ice over Swords dance. Here are the calcs:

4 SpA Life Orb Mienshao Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 322-380 (91.47 - 107.95%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Life Orb Mienshao Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 0- SpD Landorus-T: 338-400 (88.71 - 104.98%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

This next suggestion is going to sound odd. Replace Jolteon with a SpD Wobbufet. This allows Wobbufet to encore moves that are weak to Garchomp, and allows the Dragon to get a Swords dance off. Allowing you to sweep.

Your Alakazam may also hate Scizors, and Extremespeeds. How about a +1 DDance Dragonite with Full HP? Here is another odd suggestion. On Alakazam, replace Hidden Power Ice with Counter. This allows you to OHKO all Alakazam's physical counters.

Volcarona is an amazing Pokemon. I would run Lum berry on it as it allows Volcarona to switch into Breloom's Spores and OHKO it with Fiery dance.

----------------------------------------------
Tl;Dr

@Life Orb, Naieve Nature
U-Turn
Fake Out
Hi Jump Kick
Hidden Power Ice

Focus sash, Timid Nature
Psyshock
Focus Blast
Signal Beam
Counter

Left Overs
Counter
Mirror Coat
Encore
Destiny Bond

and Lum berry on Volcarona

Let me know how it goes, cheers.

Crunch on Garchomp is pointless, Fire Fang is the better fit on the fourth slot as it can deal with Skarmory, Forretress and Ferrothorn.

And like the first post said, give Jolteon Choice Specs over Leftovers and Volt Switch over Thunderwave.

One last thing, Protect on Tentacruel is very situational without Drizzle, I suggest giving it Ice Beam, which is far more consistent option over Protect.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A lot of text, bear with me here haha.

Alright, here we go. Cool team by the way, Jolt's one of my favorite 'Mons :]

Now, the first thing you want to consider when building a team is "what is this team's purpose?" You can see you've got two powerful setup sweepers in Volca n' Chomp, so we can say the team is focused around removing whatever the opponent has to beat those two 'Mons (checks, counters) to let them sweep. So basically what we're saying is Volca n' Chomp are the keystone members to your team. Since you don't have any dedicated walls (or even any bulky 'Mons except for 'Cruel, by the look of it), your team is primarily offensive and we'll treat it that way. This isn't a bad thing by any means, offensive teams are, imo, much more fun to use :]

With this, we gotta consider what can stop Volca and Chomp from sweeping. Your Volca atm is stopped by strong physical attackers that resist its STABs, like Dragonite, Terrakion and Gyarados, and also status like TWave or Toxic. Chomp is usually beaten by Steel types like Skarm, bulky water or ground types like 'Toed or Hippo (to an extent) or faster Pokemon that can revenge kill it.

I'm gonna take this opportunity to fix up those two sets a little:

Volca:

Volcarona @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 116 Spd / 160 HP / 232 SAtk
Modest Nature

IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Rest
- Bug Buzz

Basically, here you're gonna rely on Jolt n' co. to weaken bulky waters for you, allowing Volca to come in for a one-time sweep. Chesto-Resto lets you boost up until you've taken a lot of damage, then Rest away all damage/status to sweep like new. You can also sweep through stall teams and bulky waters like this, as you'll eventually have enough Sp. Def boosts to shrug off Scalds, etc. and you'll have enough bulk to rest off Toxic and the like. Of course, this Volca can still come in mid-game to do some damage, but Rest is really the ace up your sleeve. This also still allows Volca to come in on 'Loom, as Takion mentions, and OHKO it with Fiery Dance.

One last thing here: set Volcarona's attack IVs to 0 on the simulator, it helps reduce the damage of misc. stuff like Foul Play and confusion damage for no cost.

Chomp:

Garchomp @ Haban Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 124 Atk / 12 HP / 120 Def
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Fang / Dual Chop
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Yeah, I like Haban (halves Dragon moves) over Yache, 'cuz most revenge killers you're gonna see are Scarfed Dragons. Of course, you're not gonna beat Spex Latios without a lot of investment, but you can beat Scarfmence, opposing 'Chomp, Offensive Latias, Choice Scarf Latios, EBelt Latios over 80% of the time, and CB or +1 DNite with this.
You can keep Yache if you like, it's pretty much just as good; just get rid of all those Def EVs and put them back into attack if you want to use Yache.

The main thing here though is Fire Fang - it's been mentioned already, but it lets you beat Ferrothorn and Forretress, most other Steels. If you trust yourself to wear down Steel types before attempting a sweep with Garchomp, Dual Chop lets you OHKO Multiscale DNite at +2, and also gives you a move to KO 'Mence and opposing Chomp without locking yourself into Outrage. It can also hit Latios and Latias early in the game if you predict right, because lots of dumb people tend to switch them in on predicted Garchomp EQs.

So we've got Mienshao/Jolt/Alakazam/Cruel as your supporters.

Mienshao:

Takion pretty much covered Mienshao, but here's the importable set anyway. I like Mienshao, I use it a lot in UU, and in OU it can lure and wear down physical walls like Gliscor, Lando-T, Bronzong, Forretress, and Skarm.

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 Spd / 20 HP
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Spd
- High Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fake Out
- U-turn

Jolt:

Someone mentioned this above, but Jolt should be running some sort of choice set. Specs is definitely the way to go with Jolt, but I'm feeling that your team needs a little more speed, as it lacks a solid revenge killer. Usually I'd slap a Scarf on Chomp, but you can also go with Scarf Washtom here:

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 228 Spd / 252 SAtk / 28 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick / Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Washtom's got good synergy with the rest of your team, and while it can't absorb electric attacks like Jolt, it can threaten Ground types with STAB Hydro Pump. It also makes for a better pivot against opposing waters, and Trick away its Scarf when its done, crippling an opposing 'Mon. Tbolt is soley for facing Sub Gyarados (and some other bulky waters), who, if it has enough boosts, can Sub to take the Volt Switch, then kill your switch in on the next turn. Tbolt allows Rotom to stay in and KO Gyarados, or whatever bulky water you're facing. The EVs beat Jolly Breloom with a bit of speed creep (this is essentially putting a bit of extra speed on to outspeed similar-minded opponents), and HP Ice lets it revenge DD Dragonite, who is always Adamant. Alternatively, you can use HP Grass to wear down bulky walls like Swampert or Gastrodon, but those aren't seen as much.

On the other hand, if you decide to Scarf Chomp, you can use either Spex Jolt, or bulky pivot Washtom in this spot (I'll post the sets later). On Scarfchomp just go 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Jolly, with Outrage | EQ | Stone Edge/Aqua Tail/Fire Fang | Dual Chop.

Alakazam:

Now, with Starmie below, you've already got three very strong special attackers. I honestly don't think Alakazam is doing much else for your team, besides adding to your Scizor troubles. If you want to keep it, run Sash with Psychic | Focus Blast | HP Fire | Signal Beam/Encore. You'll be able to OHKO Scizor this way, and you can take a Bullet Punch due to your Sash. Here's that set:

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Signal Beam

Sure, with HP Fire you'll lose out on Speed-tying with other base 120s (like...other Alakazam), but it's so much better like this.

What I'd do though, is run CB Scizor. It has good synergy with the rest of the team, especially Washtom. It adds a Steel typing to the team, offering numerous resistances and only one weakness, Fire, which is resisted by Garchomp, Washtom and Starmie. It also gives you another momentum-gaining move, U-Turn, on your team. Trust me, these moves help - you'll be able to switch after the opponent switches, letting you see what they chose to send in and letting you choose 'Mons accordingly. The Smog article explains it better though:

VOLT-TURN BASICS
VoltTurn's main purpose is to gain momentum and make use of it by constantly forcing your opponent to switch. Obviously, one must have two or more users of Volt Switch and U-turn for this to work. Now, let's say Rotom-W is in play and the opponent switches into Chansey to take the hit. Rotom-W is walled, right? Now Chansey is free to hit whatever switches in with Toxic or Thunder Wave! Hang on a minute—that is not necessarily the case.

With Volt Switch, Rotom-W switches out on the predicted Chansey switch, and then Scizor is sent out. However, this is no problem for the opponent, because he has a Skarmory waiting in the wings; all the opponent needs to do is send out Skarmory, right? Wrong. Scizor uses U-turn on the Skarmory and switches back to Rotom-W, while Skarmory is damaged by the Stealth Rock that was on the field. Also, Skarmory cannot touch Rotom-W, who can OHKO Skarmory with either Volt Switch or Thunderbolt.

This is just one of the many examples of the practicality of VoltTurn. Maintaining offensive pressure is often key in many matches, and VoltTurn generates that pressure. Of course, one must always watch out for Ground-type Pokemon and Pokemon that can absorb Electric-type attacks when spamming Volt Switch, but that'll be addressed later. First, we'll take a look at how to approach using a VoltTurn team.

When playing with VoltTurn, one can usually play more liberally, such as with predicting switches, because one can simply spam Volt Switch and U-turn to weaken counters. If the opponent predicts correctly, he or she can gain momentum, but this is no problem because VoltTurn teams have excellent synergy. One must always be able to keep his or her VoltTurn users safe by having a switch-in to most threats. Other than that, VoltTurn is a fairly straightforward strategy that has quickly taken over OU, and it's very easy to use.

With all of that said, here's CB Scizor. Again, great synergy with the team, adds much-needed immediate physical strength, and it also gives Volca and Chomp more switch-in opportunities with U-Turn.

Another good thing is that it can Pursuit-trap Latias and Latios, which both threaten Chomp's sweep. It can also take weakened Outrage-locked dragon types and KO them with Bullet Punch.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 48 Spd / 252 Atk / 208 HP
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

The speed is for the odd Magnezone vs. Scizor situation, where you can OHKO it with a Superpower before it KOs you with HP Fire. This speed also lets you beat Politoed, getting a strong U-Turn off before it hits you with Scald.

Tentacruel:

Aight, so if you're gonna be running this kind of offensive team, I don't think Tentacruel is the best choice for a Rapid Spinner. I'd probably go with Starmie, as it can keep the offensive pressure, threaten the most common Spin-blockers (Gengar gets OHKOed by Hydro Pump, Tbolt can 2HKO Jellicent)

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam / Recover / Psyshock

If you've got HP Ice on Rotom, Ice Beam isn't a huge deal, but Starmie's speed lets it use it effectively. Recover lets Starmie absorb status better coupled with Natural Cure, and prevents Jellicent from slowly stalling it out with repeated Recovers due to your life orb recoil (Jelli will usually switch in on you though, so with proper prediction you can 2HKO it with no hassle). Psyshock is for STAB, and if you're afraid of HPump missing. It can get the OHKO on Keldeo 75% of the time, which Thunderbolt can't do - It also does lots of damage to stuff like Blissey on the switch, but that's better left to your physical attackers.

Anyway, that was a lot of text. If you read down to here, thanks for bearing with my, I poured my heart n' soul into that one haha :]

Here's a short TL;DR if you didn't read all of it:

Volca --> Chesto Berry, Rest over Giga Drain

Chomp --> Fire Fang
Jolteon --> Scarf Rotom-W

OR

Scarf Garchomp and use Bulky Rotom-W

Alakazam --> Use HP Fire, or switch it with CB Scizor: I'd really recommend the latter

Tentacruel --> Replace with LO Starmie

Team should look like this:

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 Spd / 20 HP
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Spd
- High Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fake Out
- U-turn

Garchomp @ Haban Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 124 Atk / 12 HP / 120 Def
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Fang / Dual Chop
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 228 Spd / 252 SAtk / 28 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick / Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 48 Spd / 252 Atk / 208 HP
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Volcarona @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 116 Spd / 160 HP / 232 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Rest
- Bug Buzz

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)