My First Attempt at Competitive OU

Hi guys! So I’m new to Smogon, and decided that I have been using it a lot that I’ll join and actually see if anyone has some advice on my OU deck! Again, I’m new to Smogon, so I am sorry if I do miss some of the posting rules, though don’t go easy on my selections J

So, a brief history of this team. I started competitive ou with my first team, which was terrakion, weavile, gliscor, volcarona, alakazam, and rotom-w. I played with that team a lot, and I found myself playing in “ou-no stealth rocks” (this is on showdown btw) because I feared entry hazards. So one of my friends said that that would not be a solution to my problem. I decided to start from scratch, or maybe start off with some of the pokemon that worked. So, I present to you my deck(TEAM! I'm so used to Yu-Gi-Oh >.>)!

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Taunt

Well, what to say. I guess I can say haxorus is my lead, at least to pesky set-up pokemon (volcarona, cloyster). Taunt isn’t really expected, and max speed to be able to utilise it to “full speed”. Otherwise, pretty common set I would say? Dragon dance – outrage + superpower to counter ice (except ice shard). I maxed out speed and attack, unlike showdown that auto-splits attack-speed-hp approximately equally. Lum berry's good to screw around with sporers. He’s my nice physical sweeper.

Gliscor @ Flying Gem
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Substitute

I love gliscor, as it was originally on my team. I use sub-toxic set. Though one question may arise to his other moves + item. Though he has the ability poison heal (cause why not), I use a flying gem instead of a toxic orb. Here’s why: I find that after toxic orb is set up, its no value to gliscor after he’s poisoned. Don’t misinterpret that, I love toxic orb + poison heal combo, but if gliscor had trick or something to pass it off after then I would be down for that. The other reason I don’t run that is because I’ve grown fond of flying gem – acrobatics. Though not with technician, it is my only flying move and is good for counter, things that need flying. I remember I was playing a game once, gliscor vs. gliscor. My opponent’s gliscor was poisoned already, but it was acrobatics that fated my win in that show-down. And earthquake cause its necessary. Showdown-based stats, and he’s my defensive go-to.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Disable
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Trick Gengar… Well, in a nutshell that’s what it is… I used to have this ever-longed battle between gengar and alakazam. I have always kept the “ghost-psychic-dark-fighting” corner to one of these fellows. I had been using alakazam for 2 good reasons: higher speed and special attack, as well as magic guard which prevents entry hazard damage and more-utilization of focus sash. But I decided to go back to gengar. Reason being, ghost type immunity to fake out and rapid spin and other random things. Plus, trick set has been an interest to me. Disable used to be focus blast as another fighting type, but with haxorus’ superpower its kinda redundant. And disable is always good to keep my opponent in a lock for whatever reason. I’ve wanted to keep the sub-set for gengar, but it really isn’t good against a alakazam, and choice scarf sub = wtf. Gengar is kind-of a breaker for the “ghost-psychic-dark-fighting” family, and is a quick switch-in for a quick-kill.

Forretress @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

This guy is a real problem for me. Not move-set-wise, but choice wise. The problem for me was forretress or scizor? I knew both had advantages and disadvantages. In a nutshell, entry hazards are important, and custap explosion for the lolz. I was really looking forward to scizor because of trap-pursuit, as well as swords dance bullet punch. But entry hazards seemed a bit better to me, and I tried to cover-up bullet punch with another priority move for another one of my pokemon… as well, rapid spin. Defensive wall, and I only withdraw him if there is either a fire-type threat switched-in, or there are entry hazards that can pull me down to ¼ hp for my custap berry.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom wash may not be my favorite Pokemon, but I can’t say that he’s not amazing… Special wall, first of all. Weakness to electric and grass, and correct me if I’m wrong, but both types have moves that are mainly on the special-attack side. Stab hydro-pump and discharge, with decent special attack. Pain split for some kind-of hp gaining, but I am considering changing that to volt switch. Will-o-wisp to mess-up hard physical attackers. The only problem with him is his speed. Showdown-stats as given. I don't know whether Rotom's a sweeper or a breaker, but i do believe he can perform either role.

Infernape @ Air Balloon
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch

Infernape, my last guy. I love infernape in 2 ways: because he was my first starter for my very first pokemon game, and because he has the stupidest role on the team. Infernape was the last-added pokemon, and acts like the glue for this team. I make my teams based on keeping move coverage. By the time I finished my 5 pokemon (before a few edits after infernape’s addition…), I found out that I was missing a few types, namely ice, fire, fighting, grass, and rock. I didn’t give ice much paying attention, and I guess I kinda regret that (maybe a little) for my team as a whole. But, I found one pokemon that could fit close combat, flare blitz, stone edge, and grass knot, to cover my last moves: in a word, infernape. That is not to say that he is useless. Balloon just to slightly get rid of one weakness. But otherwise, he’s pretty strong. I replaced grass knot because, even though now my team has no grass-type moves, its wasn’t worth the low-amount of damage it gave. I then proceeded to replace knot with fake out ,then I just told myself it wouldn’t work. Now from my dilemma before, omitting sizor meant that I need a prority attack, and I happened that infernape had mach punch (plus iron fist for a little boost). So yeah, infernape is my last breaker, to break things.

So yeah that’s my attempt as an ALMOST SUCCESSFUL ou team :D. I would love all the criticism I could get. Again, please excuse me maybe missing a few rules and please do inform me about that so that I do not make the same mistake again. If you could test the deck, see what’s good and what’s bad, edits, anything that can help me team. In advance, I appreciate everyone’s help! I hope to hear soon!

Last edited:

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Lol at Flying Gem Gliscor. Seriously. Just don't. You can run Fling, but ALWAYS run a Toxic Orb. Otherwise he's useless.

You seem to have good type synergy, so one type can't screw you. Not much else I can argue with (you know, other than Haxorus, but to each their own).

Fix some of the OP. For example, "Will-o-wisp to mess-up hard special attackers." Should be physical attackers. Not a big deal, but I just had an argument with a friend that burn doesn't drop SpA. Still kinda sore over it. (He owes me $5 btw)

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, first of all nice start :] There are a couple things I'd change though:

(Watch out, HUUUUUGE post)

Gliscor @ Flying Gem
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Substitute
Contrary to what the dude above me says, Gliscor's pretty dope with a Flying Gem. Sure, it may not be as good as the defensive variant, but it does its job pretty well. However, I'd change it to a set of something like:

Acrobatics 'Scor

Gliscor @ Flying Gem
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
Adamant / Jolly
Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Substitute / Baton Pass
- Earthquake

This lets Gliscor hit a lot harder with that STAB Acrobatics, and speed is necessary to get the jump on stuff like bulky Rotom-W (you'll do over 75% to it at +2 with your Flying Gem intact), standard Lando-T, base 70s (like Breloom), base 80s, and non-Jolly/Timid base 90s (Adamant Luke n' stuff). A Jolly nature can be used with the same spread to outspeed max speed base 90s, and most base 100s.

Swords Dance is a must on Acro'Scor, only use Toxic on the defensive set. Here, you aim to do as much damage as possible, and a +2 Acrobatics allows you to OHKO stuff like Lando-T, and Gyarados (this is why Hyper Cutter is useful, to prevent their Intimidate ability from working). You could use Poison Heal and try to switch into a Toxic, but that'll only happen in very specific situations. Sub is used when you think your opponent is gonna switch, but Baton Pass can let you pass that big +2 to Infernape, who can take an Ice attack aimed at Gliscor, or Haxorus, who can take a Water attack. You might want to just max speed with a Jolly nature if you're going with the Baton Pass route though, so you can outspeed as many things as possible to successfully pass your boosts. EQ is EQ, it'll let you take down stuff like Jirachi, OHKOing it at +2.

If you want a more defensive set that can still have some offensive presence, here's my personal Gliscor:

Speedy Defensive 'Scor

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Ice Fang / Facade

This guy can still take hits pretty well, and Protect is kind of like a pseudo-recovery move. EQ is EQ, and the speed EVs actually let you outspeed some important stuff and KO them, like Heatran (who otherwise could KO you with HP Ice) and Adamant Luke (who could do the same with Ice Punch at +2) - keep in mind you need SR to guarentee the OHKO on Luke, otherwise you have an 87.5% chance of the OHKO, still pretty good. It also lets you outspeed standard Rotom-W (you can tell by if it has Lefties recovery or not), and you can Protect on Hydro Pump each time it comes in to PP-stall it. Facade does more damage to Rotom and does slightly more damage than a 2x effective Ice Fang, but Ice Fang outdamages Facade against the Dragons and lets Gliscor hit Gengar.

Ice Fang lets you hit Dragons like 'Mence and DNite, and Swords Dance lets you put pressure on the opponent and maybe do some damage (this is great for Gliscor vs. Gliscor wars, if your opponent runs the standard Toxic set you'll win 1v1.) Remember Gliscor is also technically immune to status with the Toxic Orb up, so you can set up on a lot of different walls.

The HP EVs let you hit a Lefties number (allowing maximum leftovers recovery), I think it may apply to Poison Heal too, but I'm not sure (either way you'd want to max HP).

Next guy I'd fix is Gengar:

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Disable
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
Psychic and Shadow Ball aren't great coverage together tbh, and if you're gonna run a Scarfer you should probably have more attacking moves. I'm not a huge fan of Scarf Gengar, imo the best Scarfers have access to either U-Turn or Volt Switch, but if you want to use if, I'd go with something like this:

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Sludge Bomb / Thunderbolt / Giga Drain
- Trick
- Focus Blast

Modest Nature may sound good on paper, but once you've gotten rid of that Choice Scarf you'll need the extra speed from the Timid Nature to outpace stuff like Keldeo, Terrak, Garchomp, Thundurus-T, and base 100s. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast give you perfect coverage, and Focus Blast lets you hit dark- and steel-types, especially Tyranitar.

The coverage move is your choice: HP Ice is a very cool (*badum pshh*) option to use, as Gengar's natural high speed let it outspeed stuff like +1 DNite (you're also immune to Extremespeed, the main priority DNite runs), ScarfMence, and Scarfchomp, making Gengar a great revenge killer. If you're gonna go with HP Ice, make sure to use an IV spread of 2 Atk / 30 Def, which lets you keep max speed IVs, while maintaining maximum power on the move.

As for other options, Tbolt hits bulky waters, but most are specially defensive so don't rely too heavily on it. Sludge Bomb sounds bad, but it's really viable - it gets a STAB boost, becoming your strongest attack, and gets great neutral coverage. It also comes with a cool 30% poison chance, which is higher than it looks. Lastly, Giga Drain gives you an option for recovery, but has pretty terrible coverage. You can use it against Ground-types like Hippo though...don't expect them to stay in though lol. The one perk of Giga Drain is that it'd beat Swampert and Unaware Quagsire for you, which no one on your team really wants to face right now (Rotom-W can face Swampert, but Quagsire can wear it down with Toxic)

Aight, now onto Forretress:

Forretress @ Custap Berry
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
Aight this guy you HAVE to change. Either commit to having him as a Rapid Spinner and get rid of the Custap Berry, or just switch to Custap Skarm. Your team looks pretty offensive and not too too bothered by maybe a Stealth Rock here or there, so I'd suggest Custap Skarm:

Skarmory @ Custap Berry
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Def / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt

The set's simple - set up as many hazards as you can, then if a spinner comes in when you're at low health (say, a Magnezone Volt Switches on you, leaving you at 1 HP, and the dude goes into a Forretress), go Brave Bird. You'll kill yourself with Recoil, but your hazards'll stay up - Then just go into Gengar, either Trick the spinner or double into whatever beats their Gengar counter, and have fun. Taunt can stop opposing Custap leads like Forretress (it's really, really bad as a Custap lead) from setting up.

Alternatively, you could try this fella

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Volt Switch lets you maintain momentum - that's important for an offensive team like yours. If the opponent has a Magnezone, don't even worry about the other moves - just keep spamming Volt Switch to catch it on the switch and go to Infernape until it's dead. Stealth Rock is the easier of the two hazards to set up; since Forretress has no reliable recovery, it has less turns to fuck around with the opponent (Spikes), so you can just switch in, set up SR quickly, and then Volt Switch out. SR also has the benefit of hitting everything, whereas Spikes can't hit levitating/flying 'Mons. Gyro Ball can hit Gengar on the switch for tons of damage; if it has Lefties/Black Sludge and has over 25% left, Gyro Ball again to break its Sub, then Volt Switch on the Disable if its still alive. Gyro Ball also donks Dragons for a good amount of damage - it 2HKOs Kyu-B, +1 Salamence and Choiced Latios. 0 Speed IVs are for two things: to increase the power of Gyro Ball, and to let Volt Switch go after the opponent (that way, Forretress takes the hit and your next 'Mon comes in unscathed).

The split EVs help Forretress take hits better from Sashlakazam, which your team really struggles with. With these EVs, Forretress will always survive a Psychic + Focus Blast combo from Sashlakazam after SR damage (LO Alakazam can be OHKOed by Gengar - you'll tell the difference by the damage output) and can 2HKO with Gyro Ball in return.

One last thing you can try:

Espeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SAtk / 244 Spd / 12 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Psyshock
- Baton Pass / Protect
- Wish
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Fighting]

This is a 100x more offensive than the other two options listed above. It may look kinda strange, but it's pretty good. Psyshock can 2HKO special walls such as Gastrodon and Blissey, and you can outspeed and OHKO Keldeo and Terrakion. HP Fire lets you OHKO the Ferrothorn and Forretress you'd usually be switching into. Baton Pass lets you evade Pursuit from the likes of T-Tar and Scizor, and is essentially a pseudo U-Turn to maintain flow and gain the switch advantage. Finally, while Wish may look out of place, it can be used when your opponent is forced out, then you can Baton Pass into one of your damaged 'Mons (like Gliscor or 'Ape, who can take physical Dark moves like Crunch or Pursuit), since none of 'em have any reliable healing. If you don't fear Pursuit, Protect can be used over Baton Pass. Not a lot of people Pursuit Espeon because they know pretty much every Espeon runs Baton Pass - maybe you can take advantage of that, but usually you should play it safe and run Baton Pass. HP Fighting hits 'Tar hard, but you usually don't want to stay in against it (just go to Gliscor or something)

Onto Washtom:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
I'd personally use a set of

Smog Standard (with a lil' more firepower)

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 Spd / 92 SAtk / 192 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split / Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch

Like AWailOfATail said, you lack Ice moves in general on your team, so HP Ice on Washtom is beneficial - it also lets you hit Gliscor more reliably and it'll finish off a weakened Breloom before it can Spore or Bullet Seed you. Speed EVs let it outspeed base 70s, and other bulky Washtom. Alternatively, you could run HP Grass as your coverage move - it'll let you hit other Washtom hard and it gets a 2HKO on Gastrodon (well, a 98.5% chance of a 2HKO - guarenteed with SR), Quagsire, and Swampert, which the rest of your team has trouble handling (luckily they're all pretty rare.) It also lets you hit weakened Water types without having to switch out, and hits weakened Ground/Rock types with better accuracy than Hydro Miss. Keep in mind you need an IV spread of IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk for HP Grass.

Finally you could also run HP Fire to 2HKO standard Ferrothorn and KO a damaged Scizor - it's worth mentioning. That needs an IV spread of 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spd, though.

Chesto Resto

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 224 Spd / 52 SAtk / 232 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Hydro Pump
- Rest
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch / Thunderbolt

Another cool set for Washtom is the Chesto-Resto. It can absorb status for your team (no one on your team really wants a Will-O-Wisp besides Infernape, who can't switch into Jellicent or the other bulky Ghosts that use it. The lack of recovery also lets you feign a choice set, especially if you're packing some Hidden Power. You can go Grass or Ice; the Grass IV spread is above and the Ice IV spread is in the previous set. You could also use Will-O-Wisp instead of the Hidden Power, but your opponent might catch on. Still, it's viable. Volt Switch is great (I'll talk about it below), but Tbolt does a bit more damage - it's really your choice.

Volt Switch is a very useful tool to have on either set, as it lets you switch out after attacking, letting you maintain flow and momentum on your offensive team.

[Space reserved for the rest of the rate]

Last edited:

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Hey man, first of all nice start :] There are a couple things I'd change though:

Contrary to what the dude above me says, Gliscor's pretty dope with a Flying Gem. Sure, it may not be as good as the defensive variant, but it does its job pretty well. However, I'd change it to a set of something like:

Gliscor @ Flying Gem
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
Adamant / Jolly
Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Substitute / Baton Pass
- Earthquake

This lets Gliscor hit a lot harder with that STAB Acrobatics, and speed is necessary to get the jump on stuff like bulky Rotom-W (you'll do over 75% to it at +2 with your Flying Gem intact), standard Lando-T, base 70s (like Breloom), base 80s, and non-Jolly/Timid base 90s (Adamant Luke n' stuff). A Jolly nature can be used with the same spread to outspeed max speed base 90s, and most base 100s.

Swords Dance is a must on Acro'Scor, only use Toxic on the defensive set. Here, you aim to do as much damage as possible, and a +2 Acrobatics allows you to OHKO stuff like Lando-T, and Gyarados (this is why Hyper Cutter is useful, to prevent their Intimidate ability from working). You could use Poison Heal and try to switch into a Toxic, but that'll only happen in very specific situations. Sub is used when you think your opponent is gonna switch, but Baton Pass can let you pass that big +2 to Infernape, who can take an Ice attack aimed at Gliscor, or Haxorus, who can take a Water attack. You might want to just max speed with a Jolly nature if you're going with the Baton Pass route though, so you can outspeed as many things as possible to successfully pass your boosts. EQ is EQ, it'll let you take down stuff like Jirachi, OHKOing it at +2.

If you want a more defensive set that can still have some offensive presence, here's my personal Gliscor:

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Ice Fang / Facade

This guy can still take hits pretty well, and Protect is kind of like a pseudo-recovery move. EQ is EQ, and the speed EVs actually let you outspeed some important stuff and KO them, like Heatran (who otherwise could KO you with HP Ice) and Adamant Luke (who could do the same with Ice Punch at +2) - keep in mind you need SR to guarentee the OHKO on Luke, otherwise you have an 87.5% chance of the OHKO, still pretty good. It also lets you outspeed Rotom-W, and you can Protect on Hydro Pump each time it comes in to PP-stall it. Facade does more damage to Rotom and does slightly more damage than a 2x effective Ice Fang, but Ice Fang outdamages Facade against the Dragons and lets Gliscor hit Gengar.

Ice Fang lets you hit Dragons like 'Mence and DNite, and Swords Dance lets you put pressure on the opponent and maybe do some damage (this is great for Gliscor vs. Gliscor wars, if your opponent runs the standard Toxic set you'll win 1v1.) Remember Gliscor is also technically immune to status with the Toxic Orb up, so you can set up on a lot of different walls.

The HP EVs let you hit a Lefties number (allowing maximum leftovers recovery), I think it may apply to Poison Heal too, but I'm not sure (either way you'd want to max HP).

[Space reserved for the rest of the rate]
Yeah, it was looking like a defensive set. I guess it could work for the surprise factor though.
I'm kinda against having only one fire move, especially when Ferrothorn and Forretress are so abundant and it has recoil. Not much room to fit another one in though. You also have no Ice move. That's bad. I would then recommend HP Ice over Pain Split on Rotom (since you say you don't use it that much) or over Psychic on Gengar. It's not really necessary and Ice is kinda a necessity on every team.

Well Tokyo Tom... XD

I love all your suggestions. I guess i’ll start off with my gliscor and my fortress.

So I see now that acrobatics isn’t gonna help that much if i don’t have enough invested into attack. That being said, side tracking to replacing forretress, in that case i am taking a liking to skarmory. If i could keep more-or-less of the skarmory you suggested (maybe adding a whirlwind somewhere?), its ability of being a flying and using brave bird replaces the need for gliscor’s flying-type move coverage. Then in that case, what i’m thinking is that keep the taunt-skarmory, i could replace taunt on haxorus with earthquake, then i could totally replace gliscor or just make him a heap of bulky defence. So i am pretty opting for forretress to skarmory (as it has crossed my mind before).

As for gengar and rotom-w. I see your suggestion to somewhere fit in an ice and grass type move as it is lacking on my team. I can see splitting up hp ice and hp grass between the 2, except i don’t know which one for who. The best idea i’ve got for that is just putting in grass on wash, as gastrodon and friends have been very wall-y for my team and i really don’t have anything to deal with. I’m not very sure about psychic for focus blast on gengar... I used to use it, but overall i felt very pissed cause of its 70% accuracy, which frankly failed a lot for me. I will try it out for sure, but then i am wondering where i should keep some kind of psychic coverage (random poison-types with some resistance to ground). And for rotom wash, I will try out volt switch for sure.

So after all that, it would seem that i will have another spot open for another pokemon (unless i opt for gliscor). If anyone has any suggestions... (I know the rules say i need a complete team, so i don’t know if this counts >.>) But otherwise, i am saying all of this before testing the changes (or if someone wants to suggest to me another pokemon). I will try to get back after testing and give an updated-team. Thank you for all the suggestions and please if you have any more suggestions i will be glad to take them!

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No problem man :] I guess I put my heart n' soul into that one, haha

So I see now that acrobatics isn’t gonna help that much if i don’t have enough invested into attack. That being said, side tracking to replacing forretress, in that case i am taking a liking to skarmory. If i could keep more-or-less of the skarmory you suggested (maybe adding a whirlwind somewhere?), its ability of being a flying and using brave bird replaces the need for gliscor’s flying-type move coverage. Then in that case, what i’m thinking is that keep the taunt-skarmory, i could replace taunt on haxorus with earthquake, then i could totally replace gliscor or just make him a heap of bulky defence.
I just want to note, this is the absolute minimum speed you should be running for a defensive Gliscor:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 152 Spd / 252 HP / 64 Atk / 40 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Roost / Facade
- Ice Fang / Facade

This still lets you outspeed max Speed Breloom and standard Toxicroak, and 64 Atk EVs let you OHKO the latter before it hits you with a +2 Ice Punch. It also lets you outspeed standard Washtom if you decide to run Facade, which does a little less than 40% to it (so you can hit it on the switch, then hit it again to finish it off when it's low on health). Facade is also has a much higher chance to 2HKO 'Loom than Ice Fang (80+% to 20%), but both 2HKOs are guaranteed with a layer of Spikes anyway. Roost is generally better for longevity, and Ice Fang is generally better to hit 'Mence, DNite, etc.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 216 Spd / 228 HP / 64 Atk
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Roost / Swords Dance
- Ice Fang

This one outspeeds Heatran and Adamant Luke. I'm honestly not sure why no one runs this speed, 'cuz Gliscor is such a great counter to both, and can OHKO both with an Earthquake. If you run lower speed you risk getting OHKOed by an HP Ice (Heatran) or a +2 Ice Punch (Luke). Luke especially is a huge threat to your team, unless you can pick it off with Gengar's Focus Blast (it can OHKO Skarm with a +2 Close Combat)

I’m not very sure about psychic for focus blast on gengar... I used to use it, but overall i felt very pissed cause of its 70% accuracy, which frankly failed a lot for me.
Trust me, it's very worth it. You need fighting coverage for Dark- and Steel- types, and Psychic is not a great move to get locked into (stuff like Hydreigon can come in and force you to sack something to its powerful Draco Meteor, or Ferrothorn can come in and set up hazards). Especially after you get rid of your Choice Scarf, Gengar's gonna need its coverage to help its attacking power. Focus Blast is one of the most infamous moves in Pokemon for missing (along with the frustratingly useful Stone Miss and Hydro Miss), but it's on tons of special attacking sets for a reason. Just don't even think about HP Fighting xD

Last edited:
I have decided to (as suggested) change forretress for skarmory. In doing so, and giving skarmory brave bird coverage and putting earthquake on haxorus (switching taunt on skarmory), i can totally replace gliscor (as i said before that i have an open space now) I decided that as i needed both grass and ice coverage, i put ferrothorn to add STAB grass and another waller to replace gliscor. That way, i could also split my stealth rocks and spikes between the 2 so that i one dies i can get them back on. The only thing i'm afraid of is the change between forretress and gliscor to ferrothorn and skarmory is the difference of fire effectiveness is 4x and 1/2x to 4x and 2x, Also i kinda fear that now. Also, i'm now caught a bit between rotom-w and starmie. IF i did switch in starmie, i would be able to add in ice-type coverage , and a spinner, and thunderpunch on infernape. The only thing is that infernape looses mach punch (which i really need), and that i loose my only special wall. And if i do keep starmie, then i am able to keep psychic-moves and gengar can freely learn focus blast. So yeah, some things to think about...

One more thing, adding in 2 steels makes me worried about magnezone...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)