Metagame Multibility

I have had a lot of fun in this meta, and I reckon I should share my team for all to explore around :)

Here is the team, ever since I made it I have barely lost any games with it and here I am in the 1500s:
1634730336234.png

As you can probably tell, this team wins by stalling opponents out and utilizing mostly Toxic to chip opposing Pokemons, and I will give a brief summary of what each pokemon does here:

Corviknight @ magicbounce
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Iron Head
- Bulk Up

Corviknight serves as the hazard control, as it is an amazing Magic Bounce user as it has numerous resistances and can beat a lot of common hazard setters such as Tyranitar and Ferrothorn. Pressure and Defog combined allows it to beat Mold Breaker hazard setter such as Excadrill by simply stalling their PP out. Corviknight also plays a major role on keeping the Psychic Terrain abusers in check, and Iron Head is chosen specifically to immediately threaten Tapu Lele.

Toxapex @ prankster
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover
- Scald

Toxapex is the universal counter of the team, keeping almost all threats in check due to Prankster Haze and its good natural bulk. Toxapex has only 3 weaknesses, and the team is built around covering up its weaknesses so that it beats the rest of the meta. Corviknight is mentioned above as the Psychic Terrain counter, and the other 2 weaknesses will be mentioned later. Toxapex also has Regenerator, and forms the regen core with its fellow teammate Landorus-T.

Landorus-Therian @ regenerator
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian is an amazing pokemon with incredible bulk. Despite its lack of recovery, Regenerator makes up for it and pairs perfectly with its pivot ability. Landorus-Therian also acts as a solid solution to numerous specialized / unusual stallbreakers, notably Alakazam (Expanding Force under Psychic Terrain fails to OHKO it), Gengar (lando can tank 2 shadow balls) and Regieleki (lando can tank any hit from refrigerate at full). It also has an amazing natural attack stat that allows it to chip down some regen cores in stall vs stall situations with hazard support, as well as threaten some sweepers from sweeping. Intimidate is also a nice ability that can come in handy at times, and it also discourages physical setup attackers from staying in, creating windows for setting up Stealth Rock.

Clefable @ thickfat
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Shadow Ball

Clefable is probably the most unusual build in this team, but it directly deals with an otherwise hard to prepare for threat: Blacephalon. There are numerous Blacephalon sets that are all extremely threatening to Stall, such as Mold Breaker and Magic Guard, and Adaptability. Mold Breaker variant is the most threatening for Stall, as it can utilize taunt and shutdown your answer to it. Magic Guard is often paired with Calm Mind, which invalidates Blissey with Shadow Ball as an answer after Unaware got restricted. This leaves Clefable to be the only Choice, as it naturally has Unaware that goes through the Calm Minds. However Clefable often has a hard time against the strong fire STABs from Blacephalon, hence Thick Fat was choosed as the ability to mitigate damage from it. It is chosen over Fire-Immune abilities as it halves the damage of Ice-type attacks as well, making it another answer against Kyurem in case Toxapex cannot keep it in check(although a little bit shaky if you get too many crits against it).

Quagsire @ sapsipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake

Quagsire serves as a backup check for physical setup sweepers, as well as a solution against Electric / Ground-type attackers which Toxapex struggles to handle. Sap Sipper patches up its only weakness and allows it to check numerous physical Electric attackers such as Zeraora and Tapu Koko, which could otherwise threaten the team especially if Landorus-Therian is not at a healthy state. It also has some interesting niche such as being immune to Leech Seed and counter-pressuring opposing team after attack boost.

Blissey (F) @ oblivious
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish / Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic / Seismic Toss

Blissey serves as the cleric in the team and a blanket check to Special attackers. Wish can be used to ensure a safe switch in for pokemons such as Corviknight so that it can Defog without getting constantly chipped (in case Corviknight cannot beat enemy rocks setter), while Seismic Toss does modest amount of damage and threatens certain special attackers such as Refrigerate Toxtricity. Toxic is generally good at pressuring opposing pokemons and when combined with Oblivious can hit some pokemons by surprise such as Mold Breaker Taunt Blacephalon or Nasty Plot Tornadus-Therian. Oblivious can also be useful when the other team is trying to wear either Blissey or its teammate down by not allowing Blissey to use recovery / heal bell.

Overall, I believe that the current meta heavily favors stall and gives little room for more offensive teams to stay. There are definitely some things that I believe should be fixed, such as Corrosive Gas and Prankster Toxapex. I am more towards banning Toxapex, as Prankster itself does not seem to be terribly unbalanced.

Corviknight @ magicbounce
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Iron Head
- Bulk Up

Toxapex @ prankster
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Haze
- Recover
- Scald

Landorus-Therian @ regenerator
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Clefable @ thickfat
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Shadow Ball

Quagsire @ sapsipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake

Blissey (F) @ oblivious
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Attachments

Triage buzzwole ban when? That thing has been banned in almost every OM where it is available, and is pretty busted. There's no need to talk too much about it- it hits 414 attack naturally, plus can boost w bulk up and has coverage to beat most of its checks. Being able to have beast boost to boot is just overkill.

Triage buzzwole ban when? That thing has been banned in almost every OM where it is available, and is pretty busted. There's no need to talk too much about it- it hits 414 attack naturally, plus can boost w bulk up and has coverage to beat most of its checks. Being able to have beast boost to boot is just overkill.
Honestly Buzzwole is pretty underwhelming in this Meta. And I think it’s attributed to the fact that, unlike AAA, Pokemon like Toxapex don’t have to decide on having Regenerator or another ability, and instead can have both. You also don’t get to use an item either, so Buzzwole’s Drain Punch will only be as strong as it is itemless, where as Buzzwole in AAA would have the option to use Triage+Choice Band.
This also means teams are a lot more defensive. All abilities that are on par with Choice items like Hustle or Mega Launcher have massive drawbacks and Huge/Pure Power are banned, while you trade off Leftovers/HDBs for abilities like Regenerator and Magic Guard that are straight upgrades 90% of the time and you also have immunities like Levitate, Volt Absorb, Flash Fire, Dry Skin, Primal Weather, ect.
Because of the heavy defensive style, Triage isn’t going to be as important since Buzzwole is going to outspeed the likes of Clefable and Corviknight anyways.

i actually think hes pretty bad in this meta. now that stuff that stops priority is getting more common, he doesnt really get used that often. if you can take out every pokemon on the opponent's team that has something stopping priority, then yeah hes good, but if you take out every counter to any strategy of course it will be really good. and if you think its still strong, you either dont have a pokemon that stops priority, or you do have one and its just not good enough. and there is still the decently high chance you dont even kill with 1 hit because this meta has a lot of tanks. overall hes just below average. too many common counters and doesnt do enough to be able to stop the stall mons or the tanks.

i actually think hes pretty bad in this meta. now that stuff that stops priority is getting more common, he doesnt really get used that often. if you can take out every pokemon on the opponent's team that has something stopping priority, then yeah hes good, but if you take out every counter to any strategy of course it will be really good. and if you think its still strong, you either dont have a pokemon that stops priority, or you do have one and its just not good enough. and there is still the decently high chance you dont even kill with 1 hit because this meta has a lot of tanks. overall hes just below average. too many common counters and doesnt do enough to be able to stop the stall mons or the tanks.
Honestly, Tough Claws or something might be better in Buzzwole in this meta because of those things. The only Triage users worth something are Comfey (well before Tinted Lens was banned), Pangoro, and Tapu Bulu. That’s more so about Pangoro’s Drain Punch and Tapu Bulu’s Horn Leech having higher priority than Prankster, where a Prankster Haze would otherwise remove their Sword Dances. Also Bulu has Grassy Terrain, which is Anti-Anti-Priority.
Additionally, Tough Claws can be used with Close Combat as your main fighting STAB, and a 156 BP STAB move coming off a 139 attack is a lot scarier a 75 BP move. It’s literally double the power and has less ways to ignore it, all at the cost of priority that isn’t that effective honestly. If you want to stop a sweep, use Prankster Pex or Unaware Clefable, which will do a much better job when your priority has no coverage. Fighting/Bug can’t do much to Ghost, Flying, Fairy, Poison, Volcarona, opposing Buzzwole, and anything with Dazzling/Psychic Surge.

Hey everyone!

So, played 52 battles and have recorded the times I saw each mon being used.
There are some random ones, but there's an obvious few that are everywhere.

Please do have a look, it may be helpful to identify threats in the current meta. To see the mons, you then only need to know the sets they often run.

:)
I think you got the list in reverse or something, since Tapu Lele is at the bottom despite having the most apperiences, and Arctozolt being first despite having 1 apperience.
Also was this before or after the Weather Speed Ability bans?

I think you got the list in reverse or something, since Tapu Lele is at the bottom despite having the most apperiences, and Arctozolt being first despite having 1 apperience.
Also was this before or after the Weather Speed Ability bans?
It's in Alphabetical Order, not order of likelihood. The likelihood of seeing the mon is the highest for Tapu Lele as is the number of times seen.
This is from the start of the month.

Some fun sets hope you like them.
magikarp.png

Gyarados @ Motordrive
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Power Whip
- Earthquake

Very fun sweeper MotorDrive gets rid of gyara's ×4 weakness and gives a +1 on his speed everytime he gets hit by an electric type.
heracross.png

Heracross @ Skill Link
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat

This is just Mega Hera in a nutshell Skill link gives it access to RockBlast and Pin missile which hurts like hell and moxie just gives hera power everytime he gets a kill
terrakion.png

Terrakion @ Dazzling
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Stops priority sice terrakion is very weak to it just inspired from AAA

Last edited:
"Sleep Clause: Sleep-inducing moves are banned"

Funny Sleep-inducing sets:
Cresselia (F) @ Prankster ...Prankster
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD ...SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Psycho Shift
- Moonlight
Togekiss @ prankster
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Air Slash
- Psycho Shift
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8multibility-1432110703

Not sure how good the sets are though. I think you can increase the odds of using psycho shift with sleep talk (from 1/3 to 1/2 i think) by using certain moves, or not using all 4 moves.
understandable but god dammit i liked em, or are you saying only ones that put you to sleep are banned?

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Does multibility have viability rankings? I'd like to know so I can learn this meta. Very cool concept that you can sac an item for an ability
Sorry for the very late reply.

Multibility does not have a Viability Ranking, and at this point in the generation is unlikely to get one. Moreover given the general unpopularity and low ladder activity of the metagame this generation compared to similar mechanics such as Pokebilities AAA and other ability metagames in general, it is unlikely to return in this form next generation.

If you enjoy this concept I very much recommend checking out Pokebilities AAA, which lives up to the spirit of Multibility while being less prone to issues like lack of playstyle diversity (read: Multibility matches consistently went over 100 turns because nothing can break anything else reliably).

Eiscue (F) @ snowwarning
Ability: Ice Face
Careful Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Rest
- Attract
- Sleep Talk

This thing can comes in, set up Aurora Veil, Takes any physical hit and then switches out to a setup sweeper.But i hardly doubt that Eiscue was gonna be good, maybe this was a little better if Slush Rush was not banned

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)