Mudbray, Mudsdale Discussion

Unless gamefreak decided to rebalance pokemon weights, they tend to be quite light, save some exceptions (i mean, primal groudon is the heaviest, but for the continent pokemon, the equivalent of godzilla, weighting a little less than half a rhyno is a little... underwhelming. primal kyogre , the leviathan of pokemon weights aprox a regular cow and wailord barely manages to get like one eight of an orca)
So there arent really much targets that wont take 120 BP heavy slam, and all of them are better hit by EQ anyways.
Dragonite may take 100 BP heavy slam though, which is still pretty good.

Mudsdale is yet another example of all these slow gen 7 pokes and many people are not pleased with this trend. Vikavolt, Golisopod, Crabominable, Wishiwashi, Toucannon, and even each starter. But it is, in my opinion, a good thing what GF is doing. If they kept introducing a whole heap of new super speedy Pokemon, that would mean the speed creep of the generations would get even worse. Pokemon in the handy 110 Speed tier for example would get even more crowded and less useful. And all these slow attackers are quite to my liking. The designs are amazing and without their speed the offensive stats on many of these Pokemon have had room to be quite high. For example, my favourite new Pokemon is Golisopod. Amazing stats, and with an amazing signature move too. Don't hate on these new Pokemon. They can't all have perfect stats :P

I was thinking something bulky offensive, kinda like....

Mudsdale @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk/252 HP/4 Def
Adamant/Impish Nature
-Earthquake
-Heavy Slam/Rock Slide
-?Close Combat?
-???

Not quite complete yet. Was thinking kinda like a Ttar with a bit less kick, but more bulk and less weaknesses.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I know clydesdales aren't made to be fast, but I don't think they're that slow. Oh well, another Pokemon for Trick Room.

Slow, high Attack, and bulky. Combined with Stamina and I think they'll be hard to take down and maybe score a few knock outs.

It has two choices for STAB: The classic Earthquake or, if in Doubles with a partner susceptible to Earthquake, the slightly lesser High Horsepower. Doesn't get much coverage but has Heavy Slam (and with its weight being 2028.3 lbs/920.0 kg it can possibly make use of it), Superpower, Payback, and Rock Slide. And that's pretty much what it has to offer, no unique utilties and only Egg Move you'd want would be Close Combat.

I know clydesdales aren't made to be fast, but I don't think they're that slow. Oh well, another Pokemon for Trick Room.

Slow, high Attack, and bulky. Combined with Stamina and I think they'll be hard to take down and maybe score a few knock outs.

It has two choices for STAB: The classic Earthquake or, if in Doubles with a partner susceptible to Earthquake, the slightly lesser High Horsepower. Doesn't get much coverage but has Heavy Slam (and with its weight being 2028.3 lbs/920.0 kg it can possibly make use of it), Superpower, Payback, and Rock Slide. And that's pretty much what it has to offer, no unique utilties and only Egg Move you'd want would be Close Combat.
Well, maybe Body Slam for Para support, but yeah,. It has just enough coverage, but more would've been nice.

And I know it has been said before, but Heavy Slam will serve it well, seeing as it has 120 BP on everything lighter than 405.6 pounds, and 100 BP on everything between 405.6 and 507 pounds. Not too shabby.

BluThunder73

formerly BadNewsCannon
I would of liked to have seen blaze kick on Mudsdale, but Heavy Slam/Earthquake/Close Combat/ Rockslide is a solid set, protect/return/High Horsepower as other options could be nice, maybe Payback as a last resort, overall i'm happy to see this get used, niche but fun.

while not too important, there is another niche to run High Horsepower (how its called in japnese? maybe is not as horse related?) over EQ...
It power doesn't get cut in half by grassy terrain, so if you are going to run grassy terrain, HH should be preferable

So I just took down a Stamina wielding Mudbray with my Skill-Linked Toucannon and... it's so cool, every hit raised its DEF +1, a Fury Attack hits 5x and its defenses just BLEW UP. It became such a nuisance.

I know attacking your ally is just dumb but in this case, you guys think it could be useful?

Mudbray will be quite interesting in LC, as with Stamina it's a viable counter to most of the physical attackers running around (like Pawniard, Fletchling and Ponyta). The only problem I can see is it being obliterated by Chinchou, although a bully Water Absorber like Lileep could work; Mudbray eats Fighting and Steel moves for Lileep, and Lileep can handle Chinchou and, since it's becoming more prevalent, possibly Shellder.

Mudsdale is definitely making it into OU. Your opponent will be too scared to use fake out, since the possible switch into Mudsdale, and with an assault vest he could end up as a really bulky damage dealer, and with a wishing chansey, it would definitely be able to pull of a sweep.

while not too important, there is another niche to run High Horsepower (how its called in japnese? maybe is not as horse related?) over EQ...
It power doesn't get cut in half by grassy terrain, so if you are going to run grassy terrain, HH should be preferable
In Japanese it's literally 10k Horsepower so I agree with the thought that other horse Pokemon should get it too. GF doesn't really seem to care about that kind of logic since for example Aurorus can't get Aurora Veil and Ferrothorn doesn't learn Spiky Shield. Meanwhile we now get an Ice/Steel pangolin that sucks blood.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Whichever tier Midday Lycanroc ends up in - I can see Mudsdale doing well in. It can benifit from hasty Accelrock clicks.

Also... maybe Resto Chesto?

Mudsdale @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 140 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Rest

Other options:
- Low Sweep
- Ground Z-move
- Counter
- Assault Vest / Choice Band
- Heavy Slam
- Leftovers + Protect
- Body Slam
- Toxic
- Roar

uh...
Well, found more then I thought I would... did I miss anything?

Actually can't wait to use this thing. speed is low as balls but atk and bulk are both very good. i'm happy with this one. My man mudsdale here also got a weight problem. Im using heavy slam.

So I just took down a Stamina wielding Mudbray with my Skill-Linked Toucannon and... it's so cool, every hit raised its DEF +1, a Fury Attack hits 5x and its defenses just BLEW UP. It became such a nuisance.

I know attacking your ally is just dumb but in this case, you guys think it could be useful?
Rock Blast would probably be better for this strategy because resistance + no STAB on Toucannon means less damage for Mudsdale. Still makes it neigh-indestructible on the physical side there.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, it could be viable in doubles, getting a +5 insta DEF boost is not to be overlooked.

Specially if you're evio'd or vested

In Japanese it's literally 10k Horsepower so I agree with the thought that other horse Pokemon should get it too. GF doesn't really seem to care about that kind of logic since for example Aurorus can't get Aurora Veil and Ferrothorn doesn't learn Spiky Shield. Meanwhile we now get an Ice/Steel pangolin that sucks blood.
Do you really want Spiky Shield Ferrothorn?
Aurorus not getting Aurora Veil is dumb, though it might have just been an oversight. It'll probably get it later this generation.

Signature moves tend to be signature for the games they appear in only and get distributed the games after. It's probably to make the new mons more special.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)